Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Clean Energy
Now Provides More Jobs
Than Fossil Fuels
Sep 9, 2022 4:05 AM CDT
Report: Clean Energy Now Provides More Jobs Than Fossil Fuels
But wages are lagging behind, International Energy Agency says
- Clean energy now provides more employment than the fossil fuel industry, reflecting the shift that efforts to tackle climate change are having on the global jobs market, according to a report Thursday. The International Energy Agency said a post-pandemic jobs rebound in the sector has been driven by emissions-cutting technologies...
Women Return to Job Levels
Held Before Pandemic
Sep 2, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Women Return to Job Levels Held Before Pandemic
Female employees ages 25 to 54 post improvement last month
- Women in the workforce have returned to a pre-pandemic norm: The share of employed women between the ages of 25 and 54 has slipped above where it was before COVID-19 arrived in the US. Their employment rose 0.8 percentage points last month, per Axios . "Prime-age women saw some...
Falling Productivity May Signal
Trouble Despite Strong Hiring
Jul 12, 2022 6:36 PM CDT
Falling Productivity May Signal Trouble Despite Strong Hiring
NYT columnist says productivity is a better economic indicator than jobs
- June's employment report surprised most analysts, as US businesses added 372,000 jobs, way above expectations. The strong numbers dampened talk of impending recession, but what do they say about the strength of the economy overall? By themselves, they don’t really say much, according to
New York Times
This Guy Has Spent
84 Years at the (Same) Office
May 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Guy Has Spent 84 Years at the (Same) Office
Centenarian Walter Orthmann has broken a Guinness World Record
- A man in Brazil has just broken his own Guinness World Record for the longest stint at one company. And after 84 years, Walter Orthmann is still excited to get up and go to the office. He's a 100-year-old sales manager at textile company ReneauxView, which was called Industrias...
Applebee's Workers Walk Out
After 'Atrocious' Email Leaks
Mar 30, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
Applebee's Workers Walk Out After 'Atrocious' Email Leaks
Exec at franchise firm said rising gas prices would turn the labor market in their favor
- An Applebee's franchise exec who said inflation could be great for business if it made employees desperate enough to work longer hours and accept lower wages is now out of a job. The email from Wayne Pankratz, who worked at a franchise group that runs dozens of restaurants, caused...
Workers Find Out
They're Laid Off Via
Mar 8, 2022 4:36 PM CST
Workers Find Out They're Laid Off Via Computer Error
Better.com employees saw severance payment in payroll app
- When Better.com CEO Vishal Garg abruptly informed 900 employees they were being laid off during a Zoom call in December, critics called the approach callous and said the mortgage company could have done better. With the latest round of layoffs, the startup actually did worse, workers tell the Daily...
Another 4.3M Quit Their Jobs,
a Near-Record High
Feb 1, 2022 11:31 AM CST
Another 4.3M Quit Their Jobs, a Near-Record High
It's a sign of the strong market for workers
- US employers stepped up their search for workers in December despite the looming impact of the omicron wave of coronavirus infections. The number of posted jobs rose 1.4% to 10.9 million on the last day of December, compared with the previous month, the Labor Department said Tuesday, per...
Record Number of Americans
Quit Their Jobs in November
Jan 4, 2022 12:34 PM CST
Record Number of Americans Quit Their Jobs in November
Labor Department puts the figure at 4.5M
- A record 4.5 million American workers quit their jobs in November, a sign of confidence and more evidence that the job market is bouncing back strongly from last year's coronavirus recession. Nick Bunker, research director at the Indeed Hiring Lab, noted that quits were high in the low-wage...
With Newfound Clout, Workers
Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Nov 12, 2021 2:14 PM CST
With Newfound Clout, Workers Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Dissatisfied employees can have their pick of opportunities, experts say
- The pendulum has swung toward the labor force, and US workers are taking advantage of it. With their pick of employment opportunities these days, more Americans than ever—4.4 million—left their jobs in September, CNN reports. That could become the norm. "Labor now has the initiative, and...
Jobs Report Comes In
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 5, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes In Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 531K jobs in October, more than forecast
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it's stronger than expected. Hiring in October improved significantly over September, though it's still behind the pace set in the first half of the year. The details:
Employers added 531,000 jobs in October, above expectations of 400,
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
During Pandemic, Amazon
Is Hiring. And Hiring
Nov 27, 2020 12:55 PM CST
During Pandemic, Amazon Is Hiring. And Hiring
Pace is unprecedented, putting the company on track to become world's biggest employer
- Walmart once hired 230,000 people in one year. Amazon is making that look like nothing. Through October, the online retailer has added 427,300 employees this year, the
New York Times
reports. "It's hiring like mad," a labor historian at the University of California-Santa Barbara said....
Amazon Says It Has 33K
Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Sep 10, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Amazon Says It Has 33K Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Company is hosting an online 'Career Day'
- Amazon says it wants to help Americans get back to work—and not just in its warehouses. The company is hosting an online Career Day on Sept. 16, and it says it's mobilizing "more than 1,000 experienced recruiters and HR professionals to help job seekers across the...
Turns Out We Weren't
Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Aug 22, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Turns Out We Weren't Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Department of Labor revises job gains figures, with 501K fewer than previously estimated
- It's not uncommon for the Department of Labor to revise job growth numbers. It actually does so annually, when, instead of using the surveys that help form those initial estimates, it reviews unemployment insurance records in each state to come up with more accurate figures. What is uncommon is...
Tacked Onto Economy
in July: 164K Jobs
Aug 2, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Tacked Onto Economy in July: 164K Jobs
Unemployment rate holds steady from June, at 3.7%
- US employers slowed their hiring in July, adding a still-healthy 164,000 jobs to an economy that appears poised to extend its decade-plus expansion, the AP reports. The Labor Department says the unemployment rate stayed at 3.7% for a second straight month, close to a 50-year low. Average hourly...
March Jobs Report Suggests
February's Numbers Were Blip
Apr 5, 2019 7:48 AM CDT
March Jobs Report Suggests February's Numbers Were Blip
A solid 196K jobs were added
- Hiring rebounded in March as US employers added a solid 196,000 jobs, up sharply from February's scant gain and evidence that many businesses still want to hire despite signs the economy is slowing. The Labor Department says the unemployment rate stayed at 3.8%, near the lowest level...
Looking for a Paycheck?
Here's Where There's Work
Jan 3, 2019 4:44 PM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? Here's Where There's Work
WalletHub ranks US cities with the best prospects
- New year, new you, new ... job? If you've been looking to switch things up employer-wise, January seems like a good month to start putting feelers out, and a good time overall: The Bureau of Labor Statistics' most recent jobs report notes the national unemployment rate has fallen to 3....
Where to Go
Nov 13, 2018 8:11 AM CST
Looking for Work? Here's Where to Go
24/7 Wall St. ranks US cities based on 5-year employment increase
- It's a good time to be looking for work. The unemployment rate sat at 3.7%, a 49-year low, for October with a better-than-expected 250,000 jobs added, per CNN . 24/7 Wall St. knows where to find them, having ranked US metro areas based on the percent increase in...
Workers Claim AT&T Went
Back on Tax Plan Promise
Aug 28, 2018 10:49 AM CDT
Workers Claim AT&T Went Back on Tax Plan Promise
But the company disagrees
- Employees are calling out AT&T for what they say are lost jobs amid fat profits. Communication Workers of America members say AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson promised to spend at least $1 billion on capital projects that would create 7,000 jobs if the Republican tax plan passed, reports...
After White House
Press Briefing, a
Aug 15, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
After White House Press Briefing, a 'Rare Correction'
Huckabee Sanders acknowledges inaccurate jobs numbers
- CNN calls it a "rare correction," issued via tweet Tuesday night. During a White House press briefing hours earlier that touched on race and accusations that President Trump used the n-word, Sarah Huckabee Sanders said by way of defense that Trump has already created 700,000 new...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.