Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Law Firm Rescinds
Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Oct 18, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Another Law Firm Rescinds Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Davis Polk slams law students whose groups signed statements condemning Israel
- An elite law firm has withdrawn job offers to three law students from Harvard and Columbia, saying those students were part of groups that signed public statements regarding the Israel-Hamas war. "These statements are simply contrary to our firm's values," so "rescinding these offers was appropriate...
People Want to Stay With
These Companies in 2023
Aug 6, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
People Want to Stay With These Companies in 2023
Some major businesses tend to retain employees for a decade or more
- There are many elements to what makes up a good workplace—a combination of co-workers, benefits, pay, culture, and policies, just to name a few. Not many employers get it all right, but Resume.io has put together a list of places employees definitely want to stick with in 2023....
Economist: The 'Great
Resignation' Is Over
Jun 1, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Economist: The 'Great Resignation' Is Over
New trend finds that workers are staying put amid a cooling labor market, losing some of their leverage
- The "great resignation" has ended, and with it some of the power that workers have lately leveraged over employers. The share of monthly job departures relative to total employment fell to 2.4% in April from 2.5% in March, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday. That's...
US Has Fewer Job
Openings Than Expected
May 2, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
US Has Fewer Job Openings Than Expected
Employers post 9.6M vacancies in March, lowest figure since 2021
- US job openings fell in March to the lowest level in nearly two years, a sign that the American labor market is cooling in the face of higher interest rates, per the AP . Employers posted 9.6 million vacancies in March, down from nearly 10 million in February, and layoffs...
New Labor Law
in This State
Lets Kids Work
Apr 19, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
New Labor Law in This State Lets Kids Work Longer Hours
Iowa GOP pushes through child labor legislation that even lets minors serve booze in some cases
- Every Democrat in Iowa's Senate, as well as two Republicans, voted nay on a controversial bill early Tuesday that would allow teens to work longer hours in currently banned jobs, including in roles that serve booze. But the rest of the body's GOP pushed the legislation through by...
For First Time, More People
Work in Florida Than New York
Feb 6, 2023 9:25 AM CST
For First Time, More People Work in Florida Than New York
Labor stats mark a milestone
- A slow-moving trend has become a milestone: Florida has more jobs than New York for the first time, reports Bloomberg . The Bureau of Labor Statistics says Florida had 9,578,500 nonfarm jobs at the end of last year, ahead of New York's 9,576,100. It's the...
Looking for a Paycheck?
These US Cities Have Jobs
Jan 6, 2023 10:42 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? These US Cities Have Jobs
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Memphis is at the bottom
- The nation's unemployment report released Friday indicates a still-strong labor market, with 223,000 jobs added in December—above the 200,000 jobs that were expected. And with the new year upon us, many are dusting off their resumes and applying, either to break back into the job market...
Report: Clean Energy
Now Provides More Jobs
Than Fossil Fuels
Sep 9, 2022 4:05 AM CDT
Report: Clean Energy Now Provides More Jobs Than Fossil Fuels
But wages are lagging behind, International Energy Agency says
- Clean energy now provides more employment than the fossil fuel industry, reflecting the shift that efforts to tackle climate change are having on the global jobs market, according to a report Thursday. The International Energy Agency said a post-pandemic jobs rebound in the sector has been driven by emissions-cutting technologies...
Women Return to Job Levels
Held Before Pandemic
Sep 2, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Women Return to Job Levels Held Before Pandemic
Female employees ages 25 to 54 post improvement last month
- Women in the workforce have returned to a pre-pandemic norm: The share of employed women between the ages of 25 and 54 has slipped above where it was before COVID-19 arrived in the US. Their employment rose 0.8 percentage points last month, per Axios . "Prime-age women saw some...
Falling Productivity May Signal
Trouble Despite Strong Hiring
Jul 12, 2022 6:36 PM CDT
Falling Productivity May Signal Trouble Despite Strong Hiring
NYT columnist says productivity is a better economic indicator than jobs
- June's employment report surprised most analysts, as US businesses added 372,000 jobs, way above expectations. The strong numbers dampened talk of impending recession, but what do they say about the strength of the economy overall? By themselves, they don’t really say much, according to
New York Times
This Guy Has Spent
84 Years at the (Same) Office
May 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Guy Has Spent 84 Years at the (Same) Office
Centenarian Walter Orthmann has broken a Guinness World Record
- A man in Brazil has just broken his own Guinness World Record for the longest stint at one company. And after 84 years, Walter Orthmann is still excited to get up and go to the office. He's a 100-year-old sales manager at textile company ReneauxView, which was called Industrias...
Applebee's Workers Walk Out
After 'Atrocious' Email Leaks
Mar 30, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
Applebee's Workers Walk Out After 'Atrocious' Email Leaks
Exec at franchise firm said rising gas prices would turn the labor market in their favor
- An Applebee's franchise exec who said inflation could be great for business if it made employees desperate enough to work longer hours and accept lower wages is now out of a job. The email from Wayne Pankratz, who worked at a franchise group that runs dozens of restaurants, caused...
Workers Find Out
They're Laid Off Via
Mar 8, 2022 4:36 PM CST
Workers Find Out They're Laid Off Via Computer Error
Better.com employees saw severance payment in payroll app
- When Better.com CEO Vishal Garg abruptly informed 900 employees they were being laid off during a Zoom call in December, critics called the approach callous and said the mortgage company could have done better. With the latest round of layoffs, the startup actually did worse, workers tell the Daily...
Another 4.3M Quit Their Jobs,
a Near-Record High
Feb 1, 2022 11:31 AM CST
Another 4.3M Quit Their Jobs, a Near-Record High
It's a sign of the strong market for workers
- US employers stepped up their search for workers in December despite the looming impact of the omicron wave of coronavirus infections. The number of posted jobs rose 1.4% to 10.9 million on the last day of December, compared with the previous month, the Labor Department said Tuesday, per...
Record Number of Americans
Quit Their Jobs in November
Jan 4, 2022 12:34 PM CST
Record Number of Americans Quit Their Jobs in November
Labor Department puts the figure at 4.5M
- A record 4.5 million American workers quit their jobs in November, a sign of confidence and more evidence that the job market is bouncing back strongly from last year's coronavirus recession. Nick Bunker, research director at the Indeed Hiring Lab, noted that quits were high in the low-wage...
With Newfound Clout, Workers
Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Nov 12, 2021 2:14 PM CST
With Newfound Clout, Workers Quit Jobs in Record Numbers
Dissatisfied employees can have their pick of opportunities, experts say
- The pendulum has swung toward the labor force, and US workers are taking advantage of it. With their pick of employment opportunities these days, more Americans than ever—4.4 million—left their jobs in September, CNN reports. That could become the norm. "Labor now has the initiative, and...
Jobs Report Comes In
Stronger Than Expected
Nov 5, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Jobs Report Comes In Stronger Than Expected
Employers added 531K jobs in October, more than forecast
- The new monthly jobs report is out, and it's stronger than expected. Hiring in October improved significantly over September, though it's still behind the pace set in the first half of the year. The details:
Employers added 531,000 jobs in October, above expectations of 400,
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
During Pandemic, Amazon
Is Hiring. And Hiring
Nov 27, 2020 12:55 PM CST
During Pandemic, Amazon Is Hiring. And Hiring
Pace is unprecedented, putting the company on track to become world's biggest employer
- Walmart once hired 230,000 people in one year. Amazon is making that look like nothing. Through October, the online retailer has added 427,300 employees this year, the
New York Times
reports. "It's hiring like mad," a labor historian at the University of California-Santa Barbara said....
Amazon Says It Has 33K
Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Sep 10, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Amazon Says It Has 33K Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Company is hosting an online 'Career Day'
- Amazon says it wants to help Americans get back to work—and not just in its warehouses. The company is hosting an online Career Day on Sept. 16, and it says it's mobilizing "more than 1,000 experienced recruiters and HR professionals to help job seekers across the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.