Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amid NYC Flooding,
Sea Lion Makes
a Break for It
Sep 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Amid NYC Flooding, Sea Lion Makes a Break for It
Creature was able to swim out of her enclosure as pool overflowed at Central Park Zoo
- The governor of New York and mayor of New York City urged everyone to stay home Friday amid chaotic flooding caused by heavy rains, but one party didn't get the message, or chose to ignore it. ABC News reports that a sea lion at the Central Park Zoo made...
NYC Local: 'Never Seen
Anything Like This in My Life'
Sep 29, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Gov. Hochul declares state of emergency in New York metropolitan area due to heavy rain, floods
- New York's governor has declared a state of emergency for the New York City area, as heavy rains brought flash floods Friday that were "shutting down entire subway lines, turning major roadways into lakes, and sending children to the upper floors of flooding schoolhouses," per the
on North Carolina
Sep 23, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ophelia Lands on North Carolina
Tropical storm made landfall Saturday, with high winds, flooding expected there, Virginia, Maryland
- Tropical Storm Ophelia made landfall on the North Carolina coast early Saturday, and it's expected to bring damaging winds and dangerous surges of water, the US National Hurricane Center said, per the AP . The storm touched down near Emerald Isle at around 6:20am ET, with maximum sustained winds...
Mudslide Barrels Through Town
as Festival Was in Full Swing
Aug 14, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Mudslide Barrels Through Town as Festival Was in Full Swing
Mudslide causes 'very significant' damage in Bardonecchia, Italy, but so far, no major injuries
- Officials in a popular vacation town in the Italian Alps are now organizing a major cleanup job and searching for any possible missing people after a mountain mudslide came barreling through over the weekend. The AP reports that the streets of Bardonecchia are now coated in mud and debris after...
of Water Is
Jul 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
'The Amount of Water Is Extraordinary'
Heavy rainfall leads to flash floods across New York state, killing woman and stranding drivers
- Bridges collapsed, streets filled with water, and dozens of drivers were stranded Sunday evening due to flash flooding caused by heavy rainfall across a portion of New York state. The
New York Times
reports that the Hudson Valley, which includes the West Point Military Academy in Orange County, was hardest...
Feb 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
California Pummeled by Rain, Snow, Frigid Temps
Meanwhile, Michigan is hit by its own winter woes
- A powerful winter storm lashing California threatened floods, blizzards, and avalanches Saturday while adding frigid temperatures to the misery mix. Overnight lows could drop below freezing in some areas, while downtown San Francisco could see record-breaking cold temperatures Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. Projected temperatures of 38...
Capital of Mississippi Has
Little or No Running Water
Aug 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Capital of Mississippi Has Little or No Running Water
This week's flooding made long-standing problems worse in Jackson
- For the 150,000 or so residents of Jackson, Miss., the water situation is a mess. The capital city's main treatment plant was on the brink of collapse, with most households having little or no water pressure. And if residents are lucky enough to have a trickle from their...
California's 'Big One'
Might Not Be a Quake
Aug 21, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
California's 'Big One' Might Not Be a Quake
Study warns of megaflood that could cause $1T in damage, displace millions this century
- Californians have learned to live under the threat of huge earthquakes, megadrought, and wildfires. They may have to contend with another horrifying scenario: a devastating megaflood more powerful than anything anyone alive on Earth has seen. Thanks to climate change, the threat from a megaflood like the one that hit...
Everyone Is Safe
After Virginia Flash Floods
Jul 14, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Everyone Is Safe After Virginia Flash Floods
More than 40 were initially unaccounted for in southwestern part of state
Everybody is safe in southwestern Virginia after major flooding. Authorities initially counted more than 40 people as unaccounted for in Buchanan County, but they have since tracked everyone down, reports the
. "We are also happy to report that we are at zero fatalities," says county...
Floods, Lightning Strikes Kill at
Least 18 in India, Bangladesh
Jun 18, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Floods, Lightning Strikes Kill at Least 18 in India, Bangladesh
And with expected rain over weekend, more flooding looms
- At least 18 people have died as massive floods ravaged northeastern India and Bangladesh, leaving millions of homes underwater and severing transport links, authorities said Saturday. In India's Assam state, at least nine people were killed in the floods, and 2 million saw their homes submerged, according to the...
Floods Killed at Least 11
in 'Death Trap' Apartments
Sep 3, 2021 2:42 AM CDT
Floods Killed at Least 11 in 'Death Trap' Apartments
And more from the tragic mid-Atlantic and northeast flooding
- One of the dozens of people who died in flooding caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida was killed on his way home from watching his daughter compete in a college volleyball match. Donald Allen Bauer, 65, had left DeSales University, which was hosting Moravian University, the school his daughter...
Before She Was Swept Away,
She Went Live on Facebook
Aug 24, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Before She Was Swept Away, She Went Live on Facebook
Linda Almond's body was recovered Sunday after home caved in
- One of at least 22 victims killed in Tennessee flooding described her terror in a Facebook Live video moments before she was swept away. "We're being flooded right now," Linda Almond announced in a 70-second video filmed from her son's home in Waverly just before 10:...
Infant Twins Swept Out of
Father's Arms to Their Deaths
Aug 23, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
Infant Twins Swept Out of Father's Arms to Their Deaths
Death toll in Tennessee flooding now above 20
- The death toll in Tennessee's devastating floods is at least 22, authorities said Sunday, with about 20 others confirmed to be missing. The victims range in age from just months old to elderly in the Humphreys County tragedy. Among the dead is Wayne Spears, the longtime foreman of the...
In a Single Hour,
8 Inches of Rain
Flooded a City
Jul 21, 2021 6:16 AM CDT
In a Single Hour, 8 Inches of Rain Flooded a City
12 died in a flooded subway in Zhengzhou, China
- "Flood-prevention efforts have become very difficult," said China's Xi Jinping in a televised statement. That's putting it mildly as central China experiences flooding said to be the heaviest in 1,000 years. The downpour is slamming Henan province and its capital of Zhengzhou, which in three...
Jul 9, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Flooded Subways? NYC Commuters Trudge On
Videos show people wading in waist-deep water to get to trains after heavy rains bring flash floods
- New Yorkers are known to be a tough bunch who roll with whatever comes their way, and videos that have emerged as thunderstorms pummeled the city this week did nothing to dispel that impression. Per the
New York Times
, the city was slammed by heavy rains on Thursday, leading to...
Swarms of Millions of Spiders
Flee Australia Floods
Mar 22, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Swarms of Millions of Spiders Flee Australia Floods
New South Wales has been hit by worst flooding in decades
- The worst flooding in decades has forced around 18,000 people from their homes in eastern Australia—and millions of spiders are also on the move. New South Wales residents say swarms of millions of spiders trying to escape rising waters are heading for higher ground. Residents say the arachnids...
Plug In Your Address
to See Odds of Flooding
Jun 29, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Plug In Your Address to See Odds of Flooding
New database shows federal estimates are way too low
- The official stats we use to determine whether our homes are at risk of flooding are woefully out of date and understate the actual danger in a big way, according to a new initiative to set the record straight. Across the US, millions more homes are at risk than government...
Governor: People Will Be Held
Responsible for Failed Dam
May 21, 2020 5:00 AM CDT
Governor: People Will Be Held Responsible for Failed Dam
It had been the target of investigations prior to Tuesday failure
- Thousands of Michigan residents were forced to flee their homes in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic when a dam failed Tuesday , flooding homes downstream with as much as nine feet of water. On Wednesday, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer promised that the state would "pursue every line of legal recourse"...
The Car Ignored the Warning.
Now, 3 Children Missing
Nov 30, 2019 8:00 AM CST
The Car Ignored the Warning. Now, 3 Children Missing
Family of 9 caught up in flash flood while trying to cross Arizona's Tonto Creek
- A Facebook post by the Gila County Sheriff's Office on Friday morning noted that three crossings over Arizona's Tonto Creek in Tonto Basin had been shut down, warning everyone not to attempt to use them. But that afternoon, what ABC15 describes as a "military-type vehicle" carrying nine...
Nov 15, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Venice Rejects Climate Change Measures, Is Immediately Flooded
Timing eerie as far-right members of Venice council reject moves to help environment
- Venice has faced extraordinary flooding this week, with the mayor blaming climate change for the super-high tides—which is why what happened in the city's regional council gathering Tuesday is making waves. CNN reports the council's chambers in Ferro Fini Palace, located on the Grand Canal, flooded for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.