Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 15, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
UK Outlet Has Advice for Democrats, 'Sickly' US
Party must stop pandering to 'extremes' on the left, says editorial
- How is the US viewed abroad? The UK's
thinks our "sickly democracy" is in trouble, and its remedy has the unusual distinction of simultaneously dissing progressives and supporters of former President Trump. The main takeaway is that President Biden and the Democratic Party need to more forcefully...
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring
Gets Plenty of Attention
Apr 20, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Sen. Sinema's Explicit Ring Gets Plenty of Attention
Centrist Kyrsten Sinema shared photo of her wearing ring that said 'f--k off'
- On a weekend in which photos of her exaggerated thumbs-down "no" vote on an incremental minimum wage were projected on City Hall in Flagstaff, Ariz., Sen. Kyrsten Sinema projected an image of her own—which included the words "f--k off." The Arizona Democrat posted a photo on...
After House Results, Grumbles
About Pelosi Surface
Nov 6, 2020 2:40 PM CST
After House Results, Grumbles About Pelosi Surface
And centrists reportedly blame liberal members for pushing ideology that's a turnoff
- As Joe Biden inches closer to a White House win, Democrats are starting to celebrate. But the mood wasn't one of elation during a Thursday conference call among House Dems, who sources tell the
engaged in a three-hour-plus "bitter exchange" in which centrists accused more progressive...
It's Official: Progressive Ousts
Longtime NYC Congressman
Jul 17, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
It's Official: Progressive Ousts Longtime NYC Congressman
AP calls the race for Jamaal Bowman, leaving Democrat Eliot Engel out after 16 terms
- Former middle-school teacher Jamaal Bowman declared victory shortly after the June 23 New York primary in his race against longtime New York City Congressman Eliot Engel. But with a large haul of mail-in ballots to be counted due to the pandemic, Bowman wasn't able to officially be deemed the...
Newcomer Declares Victory
in AOC-Like Stunner
Jun 25, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Newcomer Declares Victory in AOC-Like Stunner
Jamaal Bowman says he has ousted longtime Congressman Eliot Engel in New York City
- The race hasn't been officially called, but it appears that longtime New York City Congressman Eliot Engel is being ousted by a political novice in the mold of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The newcomer is Jamaal Bowman, a 44-year-old middle school principal and progressive, who declared victory in the Democratic primary...
Feb 15, 2020 7:31 AM CST
Bernie Gets New Boost From Ex-Rival
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio endorses Vermont senator for president
- Bernie Sanders just got a high-profile endorsement from one of his former rivals for the Oval Office. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who dropped out of the presidential race himself in September, gave the Vermont senator the thumbs-up on Friday, which the
New York Times
notes is the...
Enough With 'Latinx'
Oct 27, 2019 2:10 PM CDT
White Progressives, Enough With 'Latinx'
Giancarlo Sopo says it's actually offensive to many Latinos
- "Latinos" and "Hispanics"? OK. "Latinx?" We'll pass. That's pretty much what Giancarlo Sopo argues in
about an increasingly popular progressive term. "What began in the 2000s among activists has now gained currency among marketers, media personalities and progressives," he writes....
New Friction Emerges
Between Pelosi, AOC
Jul 11, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
New Friction Emerges Between Pelosi, AOC
House speaker is tired of tweets from progressive Democrats
- "You got a complaint? You come and talk to me about it," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told Democrats in a closed-door meeting Wednesday, chiding members who've been airing frustrations over Twitter. "Do not tweet about our members and expect us to think that that is just...
Rich Liberals Are Creating
'Unlivable' US Cities
May 23, 2019 1:12 PM CDT
Rich Liberals Are Creating 'Unlivable' US Cities
In 'NYT,' Farhad Manjoo says Dems have a NIMBY attitude that belies their progressive stance
- California is suffering from an "emergency that feels like a dystopian showcase of American inequality." That's the take of Farhad Manjoo in the
New York Times
, who writes that the Golden State is weighed down by a "livability" problem, plagued with a lack of affordable housing,...
Feb 15, 2019 7:15 AM CST
Progressive Dems 'Killed Amazon, the Biggest Beast Around'
In the battle of the centrists vs. progressives, the progressives emerged victorious
- In the battle of the centrists versus the progressives, the progressives emerged victorious. At least that's the contention of left-of-center Democrats in New York, who are flashing the "V" sign after Amazon announced it was nixing its plans to build a second headquarters in Queens. The
Run for Office
Jan 31, 2017 2:04 AM CST
Since Inauguration, 2.2K Progressives Decided to Run for Office
1K did so in the days after immigration order
- A group determined to turn opposition to President Trump's policies into real change has signed up more than 1,000 young people to run for state or local office in the space of a few days. The Run for Something group, which is seeking people under 35 with progressive...
Working or Not,
Dec 3, 2013 1:40 PM CST
Working or Not, HealthCare.gov Has Ruined Everything
Matthew Yglesias reflects on the damage to the progressive cause
- HealthCare.gov is working . Sort of . And certainly, some Democrats will take heart in that. But so what? Even if the modest fixes have saved the site and the law—as Dana Milbank argued today in the
—the problems have already done serious, lasting damage to the...
ObamaCare Is the Ugly Child of Lame Centrism
Nov 11, 2013 1:51 PM CST
ObamaCare Is the Ugly Child of Lame Centrism
Democrats wound up with this mess because they lacked conviction
- There are many reasons the Affordable Care Act's rollout has been such a disaster, and sure, some of them have (R)s next to their names. "But a large part of the problem was the underlying ideological outlook that shaped the original proposal," Princeton professor Julian Zelizer argues...
Progressives Hate the Idea
of Sen. Cory Booker
Aug 14, 2013 11:17 AM CDT
Progressives Hate the Idea of Sen. Cory Booker
He's more interested in the wealthy than the poor is a common refrain
- Cory Booker now looks poised to become
Cory Booker in this fall's special election in New Jersey, a feat that would make the high-profile Newark mayor only the fourth black person elected to the Senate. So why are there so many raspberries coming from the left after last...
Jan 24, 2013 1:30 PM CST
Obama's True Predecessor: Reagan
The Gipper is Obama's 'role model,' writes EJ Dionne Jr.
- President Obama is following in the footsteps not of a liberal giant, but of a conservative one: His "role model is Ronald Reagan," writes EJ Dionne Jr. in the
. Obama himself admitted as much during his 2008 campaign, when he said that "Ronald Reagan changed...
Cliff Deal Could Be
'Pyrrhic Victory' for Left
Jan 4, 2013 1:31 PM CST
Cliff Deal Could Be 'Pyrrhic Victory' for Left
Krugman: Obama can't back down in the battles ahead
- Democrats arguably won a "tactical victory" with the zero-hour fiscal cliff tax compromise, Paul Krugman writes in the
New York Times .
The deal, after all, reduced income inequality, extended unemployment and some other progressive policies, and, best of all, didn't cut entitlements, which "was by no means...
We Need New Fixes
Oct 15, 2012 1:55 PM CDT
We Need New Fixes for Inequality
The economists think the right and left are both out of ideas
- Wealth inequality is a growing problem around the globe, but when politicians debate it "it mostly produces heat, not light," grumbles the
in a new op-ed. "At the core, there is a failure of ideas." Conservatives don't think inequality matters, and liberals think raising...
The Left's Dirty
Feb 18, 2012 3:55 PM CST
The Left's Dirty 20th-Century Secret
Eugenics: once loved by British intellectual lefties
- Liberals, it's time to confront the biggest skeleton in your political closet: eugenics. Or so argues Jonathan Freedland in the
. Back in the 1930s and 40s, major figures like George Bernard Shaw and John Maynard Keynes supported eugenics, the notion that disabled and poor people should be prevented...
Nov 26, 2011 2:01 PM CST
Van Jones Is Back With New Lefty Group
Former 'green energy' czar has founded progressive movement
- Once vilified as a 9/11 conspiracy theorist who called Republicans "***holes," Van Jones is back with a new grass-roots movement, Politico reports. Ousted from his White House post as "green energy" czar 2 years ago, Jones has helped found the American Dream Movement, a coalition of hundreds...
We Need a
Oct 3, 2011 12:08 PM CDT
We Need a Progressive Tea Party
Progressives must bring us back to the center: EJ Dionne
- Ever since President Obama got elected, the right has controlled the media conversation. We’ve gotten a picture of a president much further left than he really is, which has hurt progressives and moderates, writes EJ Dionne in the
: “The political center doesn’t stand a chance...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.