Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Now Owns the Home
Sep 12, 2023 12:44 PM CDT
Fan Now Owns the Home
Tina Trahan buys the California dwelling for $3.2M
- The home made famous by the
has sold for $3.2 million, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Fan Tina Trahan, 53, bought the Los Angeles-area property from the HGTV network for well under the $5.5 million asking price, though that asking price was a bit of a...
The Era of the Smaller
Home Is Upon Us
Sep 9, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
The Era of the Smaller Home Is Upon Us
Square footage is dropping, as are accompanying home prices, as homebuilders try to attract buyers
- With the cost of housing so high these days, it's no wonder that many have given up on the idea of homeownership, at least for the time being. Now, homebuilders appear to have hit on a solution of sorts, at least for those willing to embrace minimalism: erecting smaller...
Every Generation Lost Wealth
Last Year—Except One
Sep 3, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Every Generation Lost Wealth Last Year—Except One
Millennials defied the odds, and their own reputation
- An annual assessment of individuals' wealth by Swiss banking giant UBS found that the US got hit harder than any other nation last year. The Global Wealth Report says the total net worth of Americans dropped by nearly $6 trillion in 2022, with 1.8 million Americans losing their status...
Zillow to Offer
1% Down Payments
Aug 25, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Zillow to Offer 1% Down Payments
Program will begin in Arizona before expanding
- With interest rates at their highest point in more than 20 years , Zillow is planning to boost the real estate market by offering offering homebuyers a deal: a down payment of 1%. And Zillow will kick in 2% of that down payment at closing, CBS News reports. The program will...
10 Best and Worst
Aug 22, 2023 5:46 PM CDT
10 Best and Worst Real-Estate Markets
McKinney, Texas, is tops, with Baltimore last
- The housing market has been a volatile arena for a few years now, and WalletHub set out to rank the best places to buy a home in the current state of things. The site used a slew of metrics, including affordability, median appreciation, the number of days homes are typically...
The Stairway Goes Nowhere.
He Bought It for $32K
Aug 2, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
The Stairway Goes Nowhere. He Bought It for $32K
Only in London?
- "I don't think I've ever sold a vacant stairwell," longtime auctioneer Christopher Glenn said on Tuesday. That's now changed. A "disused" London stairwell has sold for about $32,000 at auction, the
reports. The four-story stairwell once serviced the then-office building it was...
Jul 26, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Rush Limbaugh's $155M Estate Is Being Demolished
Cosmetics heir William Lauder, who bought Palm Beach property in March, has begun teardown
- What does it feel like to have so much money that you can buy property worth more than $100 million, then knock down the posh home there just because? Ask William Lauder, who apparently serially razes mansions. Via Yahoo Finance ,
reports that the cosmetics billionaire, executive chair of...
'Troll' Home Goes for $430K,
Well Above Asking
Jul 2, 2023 8:20 AM CDT
'Troll' Home Goes for $430K, Well Above Asking
California apartment embedded in bridge went viral
- It was listed for $250,000, but a funky dwelling near downtown L.A. known as the "troll apartment" has sold for $180,000 above that, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The small residence set on a bridge over a drainage tunnel drew national attention and an energetic bidding...
This Might Become
the Priciest Home in Texas
Jun 17, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
This Might Become the Priciest Home in Texas
Lakefront estate in Austin is up for $50M, possibly for rich Californians fleeing their state
- An eye-popping asking price for an estate in Texas might be a reflection of the super-rich of California looking for different places to call home. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the lakefront compound in Austin has been listed for $50 million, which would make it the most expensive home...
Check Out the $61M Digs
J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Jun 1, 2023 5:56 AM CDT
Check Out the $61M Digs J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Couple splurges for 12-bedroom, 24-bathroom (yes, 24) home in Beverly Hills
- When nature calls, it's good to know your new home has 24 bathrooms to choose from. We're not sure if that feature is what ultimately sold Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck on their new $61 million mansion, but it's the one the
homes in on...
Short on Cash?
Buy a Home Here
May 23, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Short on Cash? Buy a Home Here
Head to Montgomery, Alabama, for the most affordable abodes; avoid Santa Barbara, California
- With soaring home prices and interest rates, it may not seem like the best time to plunk down a down payment on a new home. Some US cities, however, make that goal more attainable than others, and WalletHub sifted through the data to suss out the top contenders. The site...
'We Buy Ugly Houses' Firm
Accused of Shady Tactics
May 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
'We Buy Ugly Houses' Firm Accused of Shady Tactics
ProPublica says the company zeroes in on desperate homeowners, pressures them to sell
- You may have seen the "We Buy Ugly Homes" signs or flyers around, or heard of parent company HomeVestors. The premise behind the business is straightforward: They'll buy the homes of sellers willing to take less than full price in exchange for the convenience of a quick sale....
Hope Your Home
Sells Big? Folks
Love These Amenities
Apr 6, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Hope Your Home Sells Big? Folks Love These Amenities
Zillow finds she sheds, steam ovens, and more can offer a big boost to home sale prices
- Looking to put your home on the market? In addition to standard "curb appeal" maintenance you might have to do to boost your house's salability, there might already be a few things that fall in your house's favor, from a buyer's perspective. Real estate company Zillow...
Have $2M? Scoop Up the
Kennedys' Starter Home
Mar 28, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
Have $2M? Scoop Up the Kennedys' Starter Home
4-bedroom, 4-bath townhouse in Georgetown where JFK, Jackie lived as newlyweds is on market
- Before there was Camelot, there was 3321 Dent Place, the four-bedroom, four-bath townhouse in DC's Georgetown neighborhood where JFK and Jackie Kennedy moved just a few months after marrying in September 1953. Now, per Insider , that 3,072-square foot residence where the junior senator and his bride first set...
Has Big Plans
Jan 17, 2023 8:34 AM CST
New Owner Has Big Plans for
Superfan Behman Zakeri to host visitors, potentially overnight
- After seeing
at the theater in 1985, 8-year-old Behman Zakeri visited neighbors asking whether he could search their basements for tunnels that might lead to hidden treasure. His obsession with the Steven Spielberg film hasn't faltered in the decades since—after all, Goonies never say die—which...
Literary Mansion Sells for
$3.8M, but Tenants Won't Go
Dec 25, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Literary Mansion Sells for $3.8M, but Tenants Won't Go
Evelyn Waugh lived at Piers Court for 19 years
- The author Evelyn Waugh wrote
in an eight-bedroom mansion he lived in for 19 years in the UK's Cotswolds region, and what's happening at the home now is entirely plot-worthy. Former BBC Worldwide/Sony Entertainment exec Jason Blain bought Piers Court in 2019 for £2.9m...
House in Oregon
Sells to a 'Goonie'
Dec 5, 2022 8:21 AM CST
House in Oregon Sells to a 'Goonie'
Still-unidentified buyer pledges to preserve the beloved site
- The listing agent for the Victorian home featured in the
film in Astoria, Oregon, says the likely new owner is a fan of the classic coming-of-age movie who promises to preserve and protect the landmark, per the AP . Jordan Miller of John L. Scott Real Estate said the...
An Iconic Ohio
Home Is Up for Grabs
Nov 15, 2022 10:19 AM CST
An Iconic Ohio Home Is Up for Grabs
Cleveland house used in 'A Christmas Story,' plus a museum and gift shop, has been listed
- You could spend Christmas—and every other day of the year—in the house made famous by
A Christmas Story
. The century-old home in Cleveland, used to house the family of Ralphie Parker in the 1983 film, is up for sale as part of a listing that includes a museum,...
They Couldn't Get a Mortgage.
Nov 5, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
They Couldn't Get a Mortgage. Divvy Helped—Maybe
The rent-to-own startup has some unhappy customers
- Divvy was partly born out of the American dream realized, or so writes Ainsley Harris for
. Co-founder and CEO Adena Hefets is the daughter of an Israeli immigrant who "lucked into homeownership through seller financing, after being denied a mortgage," and then was able to help...
Older, White Homebuyers
Squeeze Others Out of Market
Nov 4, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Older, White Homebuyers Squeeze Others Out of Market
Share of first-time owners falls to 41-year low
- It's not just higher mortgage rates and lower inventory squeezing young people out of the real estate market: It's older white people who can bring cash to the deal. In its yearly profile of buyers and sellers, the National Association of Realtors says those purchasing their first home...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.