Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Florida Home for Sale
Comes With Realtor's Ex
Apr 28, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Florida Home for Sale Comes With Realtor's Ex
All yours for $699K in Panama City
- Earlier this month, a home went up for sale in Virginia with an unwanted squatter in the basement. Now comes one in Florida that comes complete with an ex-husband, reports WMBB . The listing out of Panama City has gone viral since it was highlighted by Zillow Gone Wild . Realtor Crystal...
Highest in a Decade
Apr 21, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
Mortgage Rates Highest in a Decade
30-year is now 5.21%, and the effects on housing market already are surfacing
- The news won't come as a shock to those currently in the market to buy a house and calculating their monthly expenses—mortgage rates have reached a 12-year high. CNN puts the rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage at 5.11% for the week ending Thursday, the highest since...
Neighbor's Warning Sign:
'Do Not Buy That House'
Apr 17, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Neighbor's Warning Sign: 'Do Not Buy That House'
Norfolk resident says shoddy work in his own home doesn't bode well
- Another unusual tale from the world of Virginia real estate. Earlier this week came the story of the Fairfax home that sold, as is, with two reported squatters in the basement. Now, WAVY reports on another house for sale, this one in Norfolk. The odd thing in this case is...
Home Costs $800K, but You
Can't Look in the Basement
Apr 14, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
Home Costs $800K, but You Can't Look in the Basement
Cash-only deal in Virginia involves house with apparent squatters
- It's not your typical house listing: Five beds, four baths, two squatters in the basement. And yet the $800,000 home in Fairfax, Virginia, is now under contract for a price above asking, reports Fox5 DC . The listing didn't actually use the term squatters, but it was close,...
Colorado Mountain Town
Could Be All Yours
Mar 31, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Colorado Mountain Town Could Be All Yours
Colona's 42.5 acres up for grabs for $6.6M
- Hoping to spend your days amid the Colorado Rockies? You could buy a $7 million mansion with views of the slopes in the former mining town of Telluride, home to the popular Telluride Ski Resort, or you could spend a little less and have an entire town. An hour north...
Here Are the Most, Least
Affordable Cities in America
Mar 5, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Most, Least Affordable Cities in America
San Diego pushes San Francisco out as the most expensive market
- Move over, San Francisco—you can no longer claim the most expensive housing market in the nation. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports the city has been "dethroned," by one a little further south, according to a recent report from real estate firm OJO Labs . The new most unaffordable...
Home Prices Rose All Over,
but in 2 Regions Especially
Feb 22, 2022 7:36 PM CST
Home Prices Rose All Over, but in 2 Regions Especially
National home price index jumped 18.8% in 2021
- Last year was the best of times for homeowners and the worst of times for those aspiring to own homes, according to a leading measure of home prices in major US metropolitan areas. The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller National Home Price Index was up 18.8% for the year, the...
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home
Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Someone decided this rundown San Francisco residence was worth $2M
- If paying a $6,600-a-month mortgage on a rundown home that doesn't have a single bedroom seems steep to you, at least one person doesn't agree. Per Insider , someone has scooped up such a property in San Francisco's Noe Valley neighborhood, paying $1.97 million for the...
Texas-Born Princess Tries,
Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
Jan 19, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Texas-Born Princess Tries, Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
There were no takers for Villa Aurora at $400M
- Texas-born Princess Rita Boncompagni Ludovisi is having a hard time unloading a 16th-century Italian villa loaded with countless priceless pieces of art and appraised at $533 million—despite a price tag far lower. A court-ordered auction of the "Villa Aurora" estate in Rome failed to draw any bids on...
Tiny House Sells for $1M,
and It Is Really Tiny
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Tiny House Sells for $1M, and It Is Really Tiny
328 square feet, to be exact, smack in the middle of Santa Cruz, Calif.
- What would you pony up for a one-bedroom, one-bath tiny house? If your answer stretches into the seven figures, you would've been a good candidate for an abode in California's Santa Cruz that did not come with a tiny price tag. The
notes that, per Home...
Zillow Is Quitting the
Nov 3, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
Zillow Is Quitting the Home-Flipping Business
Company is laying off a quarter of its staff
- Zillow has decided to cut its losses and get out of the home-flipping business, which it described as "one-click nirvana" when it expanded the "Zillow Offers" operation earlier this year. The real estate company said Tuesday that it is shutting down Zillow Offers and laying off around a...
Billionaire Breaks California
Real Estate Record
Oct 31, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Billionaire Breaks California Real Estate Record
Marc Andreesen buys Malibu home for $177 million
- Jeff Bezos once laid claim to the priciest real estate in California--but not anymore. Per the
, venture capitalist Marc Andreessen has paid $177 million for his new seaside Malibu estate, a record for the Golden State. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, the Silicon Valley billionaire purchased the property...
Look 'Really Bad'
for Jordan's King
Oct 4, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Pandora Papers Look 'Really Bad' for Jordan's King
King Abdullah reportedly used front companies to buy $106M in real estate while citizens struggled
- We're learning more about the tax avoidance schemes of the uber-rich courtesy of the Pandora Papers , published Sunday by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which are putting Jordan's King Abdullah II in a particularly bad light. The longest-serving monarch in the Arab world, who's ruled Jordan...
For Sale: 'One
of the Most
Sep 24, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
For Sale: 'One of the Most Well-Known Haunted Houses'
Or so says the realtor selling the Rhode Island home that inspired 'The Conjuring' movie
- Not afraid of ghosts and things that go bump in the night? The purportedly haunted Rhode Island farmhouse that inspired the 2013 horror movie
hit the market Thursday for the scary price of $1.2 million—almost three times the 2019 selling price, per the AP . Mott &...
Court Orders Sale of 'Most
Expensive Home in the US'
in case you missed it
Sep 19, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Court Orders Sale of 'Most Expensive Home in the US'
Bel Air developer Nile Niami defaulted on more than $100M in debt
- A home billed as the "biggest and most expensive in the urban world" is going to be hitting the market at a steep discount. "The One," a 105,000-square-foot megamansion in Los Angeles' Bel Air neighborhood, was expected to go on sale for $500 million years ago,...
Fetches a Fat Price
Sep 17, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
'Skinny House' Fetches a Fat Price
Famed Boston house goes for $1.25M
The Skinny House went for more than asking. The Boston home sold for $1.25 million, $50,000 above its listing price, per the AP . The home “received multiple offers and went under agreement for over list price in less than one week," says real estate agency...
10 Best, Worst
Aug 24, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
10 Best, Worst Real-Estate Markets
Texas dominates the top 10
- It is, generally speaking, one of the best times for home sellers in quite a while. Now, Wallet Hub has crunched data on several factors to determine the best and worst real estate markets in the country. Those factors include home prices, length of time on the market, etc., plus...
Want This Charred Shell
of a Home? Get in Line
Aug 13, 2021 8:36 AM CDT
Want This Charred Shell of a Home? Get in Line
And have at least $850K in hand to compete in 'crazy' Bay Area buyer's market
- Nightmare homes for sale are apparently now a thing, and people are willing to pay big bucks for them if the location is right. Earlier this year, a "slice of hell" was offered for $590,000 in Colorado. Now, an incinerated abode in Walnut Creek, Calif., is up for...
Vatican Reveals Church
Owns 5K Properties
Jul 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Vatican Reveals Church Owns 5K Properties
Extensive release of real estate and financial records is a first for the church
- The Catholic Church has made an unprecedented financial disclosure, revealing the extent of its real estate holdings around the world. More than 50 pages of forms released Saturday show that the Vatican owns 4,051 properties in Italy and 1,120 elsewhere, Politico reports. Vatican embassies are not included in...
A Home Sold in Idaho Sums Up
the Wildness of the Moment
Jul 24, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
A Home Sold in Idaho Sums Up the Wildness of the Moment
It went for well over asking
- Car prices are nuts these days . Housing prices? Pretty much the same. For proof, see Eli Saslow's story in the
about a modest three-bedroom home in the Boise suburb of Star, Idaho. Trevor Descisciolo bought it 2018 for $239,000, with help from a relative. Over the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.