Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
During the Pandemic,
Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
Sep 14, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
During the Pandemic, Child Poverty Rate Plummeted
More than 5M people emerged from poverty thanks to enhanced child tax credit
- In 1993, the US child poverty rate came in at almost 28%, but last year, it fell to just 5.2%—a "stunning stat" that equates to a more than 80% drop over those three decades, per Axios . According to Census Bureau data released Tuesday, the 2021 figure also...
More Clues Emerge in Deaths
of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Sep 14, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
More Clues Emerge in Deaths of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Mother of children found on beach Monday is hospitalized, hasn't been charged
- Three young kids who were found early Monday along the shoreline of Brooklyn's Coney Island all died drowning deaths, and they've been ruled homicides, a spokesperson from New York City's Office of Chief Medical Examiner said on Tuesday. Police say no one has yet been arrested or...
Consequence for Kids
Sep 7, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Researchers Reveal 'Devastating' COVID Consequence for Kids
It's estimated that 10.5M children lost parent, caregiver to disease during pandemic
- Last year, numbers emerged showing an estimated 5.2 million children had lost a parent or caregiver to COVID through October. Now, a "heartbreaking" update on that toll, per a new global study that finds almost 8 million kids 18 and under were left grieving one or both parents...
'Nation's Report Card' Offers
'Sobering' Pandemic Update
Sep 1, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
'Nation's Report Card' Offers 'Sobering' Pandemic Update
Kids' math, reading scores took an unprecedented hit over the past 2 years
- It's undisputed that kids had a rough time of it during the pandemic. Now, results from national tests show just how rough, at least in terms of how their academic skills have suffered. The "nation's report card"—ie, the National Assessment of Educational Progress—was released...
Among America's Youngest,
a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Aug 8, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Among America's Youngest, a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Just 4% to 5% of kids have gotten their shots; pediatricians are now trying to break the 'logjam'
- Nearly two months ago, the CDC recommended that all kids from 6 months old up to 5 years—more than 17 million children across the nation—get vaccinated against COVID-19, guidance echoed by the American Medical Association . But since June 18, when the CDC gave the official OK for children...
Mensa Welcomes Its
Youngest Member Ever
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Mensa Welcomes Its Youngest Member Ever
Parents of Kentucky 2-year-old Isla McNabb say she already reads at kindergarten level
- Mensa has a new member, and she's still in diapers. Meet 2-year-old Isla McNabb of the Louisville suburb of Crestwood, Ky., a precocious little girl the IQ society says is now its youngest member ever. Isla's parents say even though she does standard toddler things—plays with toys,...
for Ukraine, Gets
Jun 21, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Sells Medal for Ukraine, Gets Huge Price
Journalist Dmitry Muratov's gold prize went for a staggering $103.5M; proceeds will go to UNICEF
- Ukrainian children and their families who've been uprooted from their homes due to the Russian-led invasion are about to get a boost from a benevolent benefactor. Dmitry Muratov, editor-in-chief of Russia's independent
newspaper, announced earlier this year that he was selling the gold Nobel Peace Prize...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
6-Year-Old Completes Full
Marathon, Causes Firestorm
May 5, 2022 12:31 PM CDT
6-Year-Old Completes Full Marathon, Causes Firestorm
Many aren't happy that Cincinnati race organizers let this happen
- The family that runs together ... causes controversy together. That's the case in Cincinnati, where organizers of the annual Flying Pig Marathon are taking heat for not stopping a 6-year-old boy from running (and finishing) the 26.2-mile race with his parents on Sunday. WLWT reports that the mom and...
Big Move From Moderna on
Shots for Youngest Kids
Apr 28, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Big Move From Moderna on Shots for Youngest Kids
Pharma company submits data to FDA, asks regulators to OK COVID shots for under-6 set
- Moderna on Thursday asked US regulators to authorize low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children younger than 6, a long-awaited move toward potentially opening shots for millions of tots by summer. Frustrated families are waiting impatiently for a chance to protect the nation's littlest kids as all around...
CDC: Majority of American
Adults Have Had COVID
Apr 27, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
CDC: Majority of American Adults Have Had COVID
Number is even higher for kids: 75% of children 11 and younger have antibodies for virus
- Nearly 60% of Americans show infection-related antibodies—meaning not antibodies produced by a vaccine—in their blood, per a survey by the CDC released Tuesday. That reflects the time period from December to February, reports the
New York Times
. But for children ages 11 and younger, that figure is even...
First Death Reported
in Kids' Liver Ailment
Apr 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
First Death Reported in Kids' Liver Ailment
Health agencies in US and Europe investigate 'acute hepatitis of unknown origin'
A mysterious liver disease affecting children in the US and Europe has claimed its first life. The World Health Organization didn't specify where the death occurred. It said it has received 169 reports of "acute hepatitis of unknown origin" from a dozen countries, with most of the...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
Ukrainian Parents Are Doing
This to Their Kids, Just in Case
Apr 12, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Ukrainian Parents Are Doing This to Their Kids, Just in Case
They write ID, contact info on their kids' bodies in case parents are separated from them or killed
- As stories of unimaginable horror continue to emerge out of Ukraine, another story is also being told, via scribblings on the nation's children. Last week, Anastasiia Lapatina, a journalist with the Kyiv Independent media outlet, posted a photo of a toddler, naked save for the diaper she was wearing,...
7 Young Kids Hospitalized
Mar 24, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
7 Young Kids Hospitalized From Sleepover
Police say a child doled out sleeping pills; all are under the age of 8
- Unsupervised children in a Virginia home were given sleeping pills by another child causing them to be hospitalized Wednesday evening, police said. Police in Hopewell were called to a residence around 5:30pm, where they found four children, ages 1 to 4, unresponsive, per the AP . Three more children found...
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made
Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 6:30 AM CST
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
Now there's a waiting list for Dillon Helbig's graphic novel in Boise, Idaho
- Who needs a literary agent? Not this 8-year-old author from Boise, Idaho, who just self-published and promoted his comic book in a most unique way. Turns out Dillon Helbig snuck a copy of his DIY comic,
The Adventures of Dillon Helbig's Crismis
—by "Dillon His Self"—onto...
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There
Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Jan 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Siege on Gweiran Prison shines a light on the children's plight
- A distressing series of voice notes sent by an Australian teen from a prison in northeast Syria underscores the plight of thousands of forgotten children who remain trapped in detention facilities in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of minors (Human Rights Watch estimates 600 boys) are believed to be holed up...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
Dec 17, 2021 12:34 PM CST
CDC Gives Thumbs-Up to 'Test-to-Stay' COVID Policy
Practice allows close contacts of infected students to go to school if they themselves test negative
- US health officials are endorsing "test-to-stay" policies that allow close contacts of students infected with the coronavirus to remain in classrooms if they test negative. The CDC decided to more firmly embrace the approach, already used by many school districts, after research of such policies in the Chicago and...
There's a New Chip Off
the Boris Johnson Block
Dec 9, 2021 7:21 AM CST
There's a New Chip Off the Boris Johnson Block
UK prime minister's wife gives birth to baby girl, the couple's second child together
- After a week of not-great headlines , Thursday finally brought one that Boris Johnson may not mind: He's a dad, again. The
reports that the UK prime minister's wife, Carrie Johnson, has given birth to a baby girl in London. No word on a name yet, but "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Report Details 'Enormous, Virtually Irreversible' Loss in Amazon
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.