Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Retired Marine Dives for
Child Thrown Off Balcony
Jul 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Retired Marine Dives for Child Thrown Off Balcony
But Phillip Blanks says he wasn't 'the real hero'
- A former high school football star dove and caught a child who was dropped from a burning building last week, the
reports. Phillip Blanks, 28, was at his friend's apartment in Phoenix when he heard shouting and ran outside. Then he saw a woman—identified by 12NEWS...
Shop Owner Posts
Edgy Mask Sign
That Goes Viral
Jul 4, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Shop Owner Posts Edgy Mask Sign That Goes Viral
Sarah Bingham denies that she's making light of seniors' plight
- Sarah Bingham says her frustration with anti-maskers entering her Arizona store was rising—in fact, it had just about peaked. "It was a conversation I had to have every day and I got kind of sick of it," she tells 12 News . So last month she created a...
4 Women Arrested After
Arizona Mom Found Dead
May 1, 2020 11:31 AM CDT
4 Women Arrested After Arizona Mom Found Dead
Suspects charged with kidnapping Melissa Valenzuela, a mother of 3
- Four women have been arrested in Arizona after a woman turned up dead days after she was observed screaming for help. Melissa Valenzuela was reported missing on March 20, three days after family members recalled seeing the 34-year-old mother of three in the company of Mercedes Gomez and Christina Gomez,...
Shot Dead During
Domestic Violence Call
Mar 30, 2020 2:48 AM CDT
Police Commander Shot Dead During Domestic Violence Call
2 officers injured in Phoenix shooting
- A Phoenix police commander was killed and two other officers were injured Sunday night in a shooting on the city's north side during a domestic violence call, police say. The department says Cmdr. Greg Carnicle was killed in the incident in the 23800 block of North 40th Drive, near...
Report: Boy Tried to Stop
Mom From Killing Baby Sister
Jan 22, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Report: Boy Tried to Stop Mom From Killing Baby Sister
Then Rachel Henry allegedly killed 3-year-old, her 3rd young child, all reportedly with her bare hands
- The 22-year-old mother arrested in the murders of her three children in Phoenix smothered each with her bare hands, according to court records. The children's father and another woman described as an "aunt" were out Monday when Rachel Henry first smothered her 1-year-old daughter—initially described as a...
3 Young Children
Jan 21, 2020 4:54 PM CST
3 Young Children Found Dead, Mom Arrested
Police say she has confessed to Monday night murders in Phoenix
- Police were called to a Phoenix home Monday night and found an awful scene: a 3-year-old boy and two girls, ages 2 and 7 months, dead in the living room. Their mother, 22-year-old Rachel Henry, was arrested, and on Tuesday police said she admitted to killing all three, AZCentral reports....
Hiker in Viral
Nov 27, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Hiker in Viral Helicopter Rescue Video Sues
Katalin Metro is reportedly willing to settle with city of Phoenix for $2M
- Back in June, the fire department captain said the hiker who was subjected to out-of-control spinning during a June helicopter rescue in Phoenix "suffered no ill effect ... other than being a little bit dizzy." But the hiker, 74-year-old Katalin Metro, begs to differ, per the
New York Post
Oct 24, 2019 11:18 AM CDT
'Angel' Car Saves Couple With Stroller
Driver of Jeep that ran red light was arrested for alleged DUI
- The video is hard to watch, but it has a (relatively) happy ending: A couple is pushing a stroller across a busy Phoenix street when a Jeep runs a red light, nearly plowing into them. Instead, at seemingly the last possible moment, it plows into a car that entered the...
5 Months After Viral
Arrest Video, Cop Fired
Oct 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
5 Months After Viral Arrest Video, Cop Fired
Christopher Meyer was caught on tape pointing a gun at couple who had their kids with them
- On May 27, a Phoenix police officer was caught on video pointing a gun at a car holding a man, his pregnant fiancee, and their two children, yelling, "You're going to get f---ing shot" and "I'm going to put a cap in your ass." Nearly...
Cops: Drunk Pitcher Enters
Doggy Door, Gets Tased
Oct 11, 2019 10:28 AM CDT
Cops: Drunk Pitcher Enters Doggy Door, Gets Tased
Not Jacob Nix's finest day
- A San Diego Padres pitcher tried to crawl through a doggy door into the bedroom of an Arizona couple, who responded with a Taser when they couldn't grab their gun, police say. A woman called police around 3:30am Sunday, saying her husband had discovered a man crawling through...
Couple Threatened by Phoenix
Cops: Apologies No Good
Jun 18, 2019 7:16 AM CDT
Couple Threatened by Phoenix Cops: Apologies No Good
Iesha Harper, Dravon Ames want officers involved fired after disturbing video circulates
- Iesha Harper and Dravon Ames, a black couple with two young children seen in a video that emerged last week showing cops in Phoenix screaming at them, guns drawn, after an alleged shoplifting incident , have since received apologies from the city's police chief and mayor—but they're not...
'He Had a Gun Drawn': Parents
Arrested With 2 Young Children
Jun 16, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
'He Had a Gun Drawn': Parents Arrested With 2 Young Children
The Phoenix couple has filed a claim for $10 million
- A Phoenix couple wants $10 million after being arrested at gunpoint with their two small children, apparently over a stolen doll—and bystander videos don't look great for police, CNN reports. Dravon Ames and his fiancee, Iesha Harper, say they didn't see their 4-year-old daughter steal a doll...
ICE Deports, Then Brings Back
Husband of Fallen US Soldier
Apr 16, 2019 11:08 AM CDT
ICE Deports, Then Brings Back Husband of Fallen US Soldier
Couple's 12-year-old daughter was still in Phoenix
- The husband of a US soldier killed in Afghanistan was deported to Mexico last week, leaving the couple's 12-year-old daughter behind, before ICE reversed itself and brought the man back to Phoenix. Officers arrested Jose Gonzalez Carranza, 30, on his way to his construction job last week and deported...
Passenger Jumps to Tarmac,
Fleeing Police, After Jet Lands
Apr 12, 2019 5:29 PM CDT
Passenger Jumps to Tarmac, Fleeing Police, After Jet Lands
Man was unruly during flight, police say
- A passenger jumped from an airliner onto the tarmac after his flight landed in Phoenix, police say, after officers met the flight at the crew's request. The man, 25, had been disruptive on the Friday flight from Minneapolis, the Arizona Republic reports. He had been randomly touching the faces...
Cops: Armed Witness
of 11-Year-Old Girl
Apr 9, 2019 1:36 AM CDT
Cops: Armed Witness Thwarted Kidnapping of 11-Year-Old Girl
Phoenix suspect is still at large
- Police in Phoenix say an armed witness prevented the kidnapping of an 11-year-old girl who was on her way to school. Police say the suspect grabbed the girl from behind, pulling her arm behind his back and putting his arm over her face, Fox 10 reports. The witness then intervened...
Phoenix Driver Opens Fire on
Family's Car, Kills 10-year-old
Apr 4, 2019 6:30 PM CDT
Phoenix Driver Opens Fire on Family's Car, Kills 10-year-old
Police say it may have started with a traffic dispute
- A 10-year-old girl died after being shot along with her father in what may have started with a traffic dispute, Phoenix police said Thursday. Sgt. Vince Lewis said the shooting that killed Summerbell Brown occurred Wednesday night, the AP reports, when a man in a pickup truck who had been...
Facility Where Incapacitated
Woman Gave Birth Is Closing
Feb 8, 2019 3:42 AM CST
Facility Where Incapacitated Woman Gave Birth Is Closing
State regulators say it is 'disturbing news'
- A long-term care facility in Arizona where an incapacitated woman was raped and later gave birth announced Thursday that it would shut down operations. Officials with Hacienda HealthCare said its board of directors determined that it's not sustainable to keep operating its intermediate care facility in Phoenix. It serves...
Cindy McCain Said She
Feb 7, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Cindy McCain Said She Stopped Trafficker, Was Mistaken
'I commend the police officers for their diligence'
- Cindy McCain thought she stopped a case of human trafficking in Phoenix, but police say she was mistaken. During Human Trafficking Prevention Month in January, McCain, who is co-chair of the Arizona Human Trafficking Council, noted more than 31,000 Arizonans had been trained to identify telltale signs. She thought...
Ariz. Nurse Accused of
Rape Has His Day in Court
Feb 6, 2019 2:59 AM CST
Ariz. Nurse Accused of Rape Has His Day in Court
Prosecutors say Nathan Sutherland is father of baby born to incapacitated patient
- A nurse facing criminal charges in the rape of an incapacitated woman who later gave birth at a long-term care facility in Phoenix pleaded not guilty Tuesday. The only comments by Nathan Dorceus Sutherland came when he identified himself to the court and stated his birthdate, the AP reports. Afterward,...
Nurse Who Cared for Woman
Who Gave Birth Is Arrested
Jan 23, 2019 2:33 PM CST
Nurse Who Cared for Woman Who Gave Birth Is Arrested
Police say DNA from Nathan Sutherland, 36, matched that of baby boy
- Phoenix police on Wednesday announced an arrest in the case of an incapacitated woman who gave birth in December at Hacienda HealthCare facility. The
reports the Phoenix police crime lab on Tuesday determined the baby boy's DNA matched that of 36-year-old Nathan Sutherland, who was compelled to...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Delta Offers to Buy Seats Back on Overbooked Flight for $10K
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.