Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Number of Fatal ODs
We Just Suffered Is Huge
Nov 17, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Number of Fatal ODs We Just Suffered Is Huge
Number crests 100K for first time ever
- As if COVID wasn't enough of a mortality whammy, now this: The CDC on Wednesday announced that Americans suffered more than 100,000 drug overdose deaths in a 12-month period for the first time ever. Between May 2019 and April 2020 there were 78,056 overdose deaths. Over the...
Strikes Plea Deal
in Mac Miller's
Nov 11, 2021 1:00 AM CST
Another Man Strikes Plea Deal in Mac Miller's Fentanyl Death
Ryan Michael Reavis pleads guilty
- An Arizona man accused of supplying the dealer who sold Mac Miller the drugs that killed the rapper has agreed to plead guilty to a federal charge, prosecutors said Wednesday. Ryan Michael Reavis, 38, will admit to a single count of distribution of fentanyl, the US Attorney’s Office in...
Amid the Pandemic,
Another 'Staggering Loss'
Jul 14, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Amid the Pandemic, Another 'Staggering Loss'
93K Americans died of drug overdoses in 2020, a record high
- Overdose deaths soared to a record 93,000 last year in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, the US government reported Wednesday. That estimate far eclipses the high of about 72,000 drug overdose deaths reached the previous year and amounts to a 29% increase. "This is a staggering...
Health Worker Accidentally
Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
May 11, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Health Worker Accidentally Gets a 'Massive' Vaccine Dose
Italian woman is doing fine regardless
- A 23-year-old Italian woman is doing well after she accidentally received six doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on Sunday. A health worker at Noa hospital in Tuscany had filled a syringe with an entire vial of the vaccine, which is to be split into six doses. It was only...
Son of Supermodel,
Billionaire Dead at 24
Jan 19, 2021 8:57 AM CST
Son of Supermodel, Billionaire Dead at 24
Harry Brant suffered accidental drug overdose: Peter Brant and Stephanie Seymour
- He was the son of a billionaire and one of the world's first supermodels. But if Harry Brant led a charmed life, it came to a crashing halt over the weekend. The 24-year-old New York socialite was found dead of an accidental drug overdose on Sunday, according to his...
'Party Monster' Is Dead at 54
Dec 26, 2020 10:30 AM CST
'Party Monster' Is Dead at 54
Michael Alig of NYC club fame has suspected heroin overdose
- He lived a life so wild that it was the subject not only of a Hollywood feature film but a documentary to boot. But that life ended on Christmas Eve in a way that might not be surprising to those familiar with 54-year-old Michael Alig: an apparent heroin overdose in...
Feb 25, 2020 11:34 AM CST
Congressional Candidate Speaks After Overdose
No shame for Chris Taylor, who suspends bid to seek treatment
- A Republican vying for Congress in Arizona has suspended his bid after overdosing on heroin. "I recently relapsed after having so many solid years in sobriety," Chris Taylor, a Safford city councilman who completed two tours of duty in Afghanistan and has struggled with opioid addiction since high...
She Scored a
Hit for a Friend.
Feb 5, 2020 7:40 PM CST
She Scored a Hit for a Friend. Then Came the Text
A lengthy look at overdose-homicide prosecutions
- Jamie Maynard has been clean for three years, a feat she credits in part to having gone to prison, where she got off heroin. But in a lengthy piece for the
, Paige Williams makes the case that she should have never been behind bars. The Ohio woman was...
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died
of Accidental Overdose
Jan 22, 2020 8:51 AM CST
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died of Accidental Overdose
Truett Foster McKeehan ODed on amphetamines, fentanyl
- In October, the 21-year-old son of Christian rapper TobyMac (real name: Kevin McKeehan) died suddenly at his Tennessee home. Now, the cause of Truett Foster McKeehan's death has come to light. A rep for TobyMac tells
that the younger McKeehan accidentally overdosed on a mix of fentanyl and...
Study of Auto Plant Closures
Finds a Double Whammy
Jan 4, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Study of Auto Plant Closures Finds a Double Whammy
Researchers found an association between closure, increased opioid death rate
- The closure of an auto plant may do more than just depress an area's economy. A study published Monday in
JAMA Internal Medicine
surfaces an association between such closures and a rise in opioid deaths. Specifically, in counties where assembly plants had shuttered five years prior, the opioid overdose...
Then Came an
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 22, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Heroin Killed the Cheerleader. Then Came an 'Unusual Charge'
Inside the looming trial in connection with the death of a Tampa 17-year-old
- Katie Golden was a fan of Titan Goodson, but she seemed to mostly be alone in that department. The Florida 17-year-old's parents disliked him, writing him off as a bad influence on the college-bound cheerleader. The grandparents he lived with thought he might be doing drugs and planned to...
Tainted Drugs Probed
in USC Student Deaths
Nov 14, 2019 8:15 AM CST
Tainted Drugs Probed in USC Student Deaths
Opioid overdose suspected in at least one case
- Tainted drugs may explain some of the nine student deaths at USC this semester. No link has been confirmed yet and autopsies and toxicology tests are pending, but investigators are exploring whether contaminated drugs contributed to some of the deaths of the nine males, reports the
Los Angeles Times
Florida Mom Overdoses
With 3 Kids in Car
Nov 4, 2019 1:31 AM CST
Florida Mom Overdoses With 3 Kids in Car
Her 12-year-old daughter called 911
- A 12-year-old girl in Florida may have saved her mother's life after the woman overdosed on heroin while driving on a highway, police say. "My mom won't wake up and we're on the I-4 in the car," the girl said after calling 911. "We'...
Nov 1, 2019 12:33 PM CDT
Test Reveals Saoirse Kennedy Hill's Cause of Death
It was an accidental OD from alcohol, methadone, prescription drugs
- The autopsy for Saoirse Kennedy Hill in August didn't offer much insight into how she died, but now the toxicology tests are in: The death certificate for the 22-year-old notes she suffered an accidental overdose from a lethal mix of alcohol, methadone, and prescription drugs, per WCVB . Besides the...
Mom of 'Emo Rapper'
Sues Over His Death
Oct 8, 2019 4:33 PM CDT
Mom of 'Emo Rapper' Sues Over His Death
Lil Peep's mother blames his managers for his overdose
- Lil Peep died of a drug overdose at age 21 , and nearly two years after the death of the "emo rapper" on a tour bus, his mother is suing. Liza Womack says in her suit that her son was "stressed, overwhelmed, burnt out, exhausted and physically unwell" before...
Indicted in 2nd
Death at LA Home
Oct 3, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Dem Donor Indicted in 2nd Death at LA Home
Ed Buck faces 5 federal charges in all
- Ed Buck, the Democratic donor accused of luring gay black men to his West Hollywood home and injecting them with meth, has been charged in connection with a second overdose death. Held without bond, Buck was previously charged in federal court in connection with the July 2017 death of homeless...
Before OD Death
Oct 3, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Vine Founder Texted 'Candyshop' Before OD Death
6 charged with conspiring to distribute drugs in NYC
- Six people who allegedly operated a drug delivery service called Mike's Candyshop have been arrested in connection with the overdose death of Vine founder Colin Kroll. The suspects, ages 25 to 38, each face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison on a charge of conspiring to...
Just Got Worse
Sep 20, 2019 12:37 PM CDT
Dem Donor's Legal Troubles Just Got Worse
Complaint: Ed Buck, accused of luring gay men for sex and meth binges, had at least 10 victims
- When you're known around town as "Doctor Kevorkian," the implication probably isn't a good one. That's the nickname court records say was bestowed on wealthy Democratic donor Ed Buck, 65, who's been accused of luring homeless, gay black men to his home, then plying...
Granddaughter of RFK
Dies of Suspected Overdose
Aug 2, 2019 6:56 AM CDT
Granddaughter of RFK Dies of Suspected Overdose
Saoirse Kennedy Hill was 22
- Another tragedy for the Kennedy family: Saoirse Kennedy Hill, the 22-year-old granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy, has died. "Our hearts are shattered by the loss of our beloved Saoirse," the Kennedy family said in a statement. "Her life was filled with hope, promise and love." Sources...
Death Ruled Accidental
Jun 14, 2019 9:21 AM CDT
Columbine Survivor's Death Ruled Accidental
Austin Eubanks died of a heroin overdose
- Austin Eubanks was found dead in his Colorado home on May 18, 20 years after he hid under a library table and managed to survive the Columbine school shooting. Now the Routt County Coroner's Office has confirmed his cause of death: acute heroin toxicity. Coroner Robert Ryg tells CNN...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Restaurant Apologizes for Asking Cops to Leave
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.