Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ohio Republicans Want to Keep
Abortion Vote From Judiciary
Nov 10, 2023 2:55 PM CST
Ohio Republicans Want to Keep Abortion Vote From Judiciary
Lawmakers argue only legislature can interpret new constitutional amendment
- Opponents of the amendment approved by voters this week to add abortion rights to Ohio's constitution have lost but not given up. Four Republican legislators want to end the judiciary's ability to interpret the measure's meaning, the
reports. The idea is to head off abortion...
Woman Gets Prison for Giving
Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
Sep 22, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
Case has been part of the Nebraska debate on restrictions
- A Nebraska mother who pleaded guilty to giving her teenage daughter pills for an abortion and helping to burn and conceal the fetus was sentenced Friday to two years in prison. Jessica Burgess, 42, pleaded guilty in July to tampering with human remains, false reporting, and providing an abortion after...
Abortions to Resume at Clinics
in Wisconsin After Ruling
Sep 14, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Abortions to Resume at Clinics in Wisconsin After Ruling
Opponents argue state's ban remains in place
- Planned Parenthood announced Thursday that it will resume offering abortions in Wisconsin next week after a judge ruled that an 1849 law that seemingly banned the procedure actually didn't apply to abortions. The resumption of abortions Monday at clinics in Milwaukee and Madison comes as the lawsuit challenging the...
Texas Plans Would Fight Using
Roads to Reach Abortion Care
Sep 2, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Texas Plans Would Fight Using Roads to Reach Abortion Care
Clinics in New Mexico have opened to help out-of-state patients
- Texas' laws against abortion are among the most restrictive in the nation. But opponents of abortion rights are concerned that women can receive abortions in other states, including adjoining New Mexico—where new clinics have opened to accommodate women traveling from Texas. So communities across Texas are considering making it...
Ohio Election Official Puts
'Unborn Child' in Ballot Measure
Aug 24, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Ohio Election Official Puts 'Unborn Child' in Ballot Measure
'The entire summary is propaganda,' activist says
- The Ohio Ballot Board approved language Thursday for a fall measure seeking to establish abortion access as a fundamental right, but one Democratic member blasted it as "rife with misleading and defective language." Key among opponents' objections is language developed by Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose, an...
Mark a Year
Jun 24, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Both Sides Mark a Year Without Roe
Abortion demonstrations are held across the country
- Activists and politicians are marking the one-year anniversary of the US Supreme Court ruling that overturned a nationwide right to abortion with a range of reactions that vary from praise and protests. Advocates on both sides marched at rallies Saturday in Washington and across the country, the AP reports, to...
Jun 23, 2023 1:10 AM CDT
First-in-Nation Abortion Pill Ban Blocked
At least temporarily, while lawsuit against the Wyoming ban proceeds
- Wyoming's first-in-the-nation abortion pill ban has been blocked before it had a chance to take effect. A judge ruled Thursday that the ban must not take effect July 1, as had been planned, while a lawsuit against it proceeds, the AP reports. The same people challenging the abortion pill...
'Not a Single Republican' Kept
Promise on Abortion: Governor
May 20, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
'Not a Single Republican' Kept Promise on Abortion: Governor
Cooper suggests North Carolina GOP could pay at the ballot box
- After legislative Republicans overrode his veto of North Carolina's new abortion restrictions, Gov. Roy Cooper responded with fresh criticism of them on Saturday. "It's amazing how they've ignored the will of the people here," Cooper said on MSNBC, per Politico . When he vetoed the legislation...
Itself a Haven
Apr 14, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
State Makes Itself a Haven on Abortion, Trans Care
Colorado enacts laws protecting health care access
- Democratic Colorado Gov. Jared Polis on Friday signed a set of health care bills enshrining access to abortion and gender-affirming procedures and medications, as the Democrat-led state tries to make itself a safe haven for its neighbors, whose Republican leaders are restricting care. The goal of the legislation is to...
Apr 10, 2023 4:56 PM CDT
DOJ Appeals Ruling on Abortion Pill
HHS secretary has said he wants Texas judge's decision overturned
- On the first business day after a Texas judge blocked Federal Drug Administration approval of an abortion pill, the Justice Department lodged an appeal. The filing in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals asks that Judge Matthew Kascmaryk's ruling not take effect while the appeal is being decided, the...
Sanders OKs Anti-Abortion
Monument Near State Capitol
Mar 19, 2023 11:36 AM CDT
Sanders OKs Anti-Abortion Monument Near State Capitol
Private groups will have input on design
- Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders has signed a new law that will allow a monument near the state Capitol marking the number of abortions performed in Arkansas before the US Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade. Sanders' office said Friday night that the Republican governor signed the bill that...
On Roe v. Wade,
Sees a 'Loophole'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 11, 2023 12:15 PM CST
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Judge in criminal case says 13th Amendment could provide a national right to abortion
- In a pending criminal case against anti-abortion activists, a federal judge on Monday raised what CNBC is calling an "eyebrow-raising hypothetical" on the issue of a constitutional right to abortion. Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said that when the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade with its ruling last year in...
Marches Across US Mark
Roe as Battle Shifts to States
Jan 22, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Marches Across US Mark Roe as Battle Shifts to States
Demonstrations follow gathering of abortion opponents in Washington
- Women's marches demanding abortion rights drew thousands of people across the country on Sunday, the 50th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that established federal protections for the procedure. Organizers focused on states after the Supreme Court's reversal of Roe in June unleashed abortion restrictions...
Michigan Supreme Court Puts
Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Sep 8, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Michigan Supreme Court Puts Abortion Amendment on Ballot
Elections board had deadlocked along party lines
- Voters will decide whether to place abortion rights in the Michigan Constitution, the state Supreme Court declared Thursday, settling the issue a day before the fall ballot must be completed. Abortion rights would be guaranteed if the amendment passes on Nov. 8. A 1931 state law makes it a crime...
Aug 30, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Sarcastic Diversity Tweet Causes a Ruckus
Blake Masters in Arizona declares US is done with Biden's 'affirmative action regime'
- The conservative Senate candidate looking to unseat Democrat Mark Kelly in Arizona is making all kinds of headlines this week in the close, and closely watched, race:
Over the weekend, Blake Masters fired off a sarcastic tweet about an AP story that detailed how diverse the Federal Reserve's
Kansas Abortion Opponents
Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Aug 16, 2022 6:14 AM CDT
Kansas Abortion Opponents Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Statewide measure passed by 18 percentage points, but they're going to get partial recount
Kansas will indeed carry out a partial hand recount that won't change the outcome of this month's decisive vote in favor of abortion rights after abortion opponents charged almost $120,000 to credit cards Monday to cover the cost, reports the AP . The Kansas secretary of state'...
Vote Suggests Strong Support
for Abortion Rights Nationwide
Aug 4, 2022 11:33 AM CDT
Vote Suggests Strong Support for Abortion Rights Nationwide
'NYT' analysis says Kansas vote likely would have gone the same way in all but 7 states
- Most analysts expected a narrow victory at best for abortion rights supporters in a vote in Kansas on Tuesday. Instead, they had an overwhelming win in the conservative state, which has energized the movement and upended predictions about this year's midterm elections. A ballot measure that would have removed...
Jul 24, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
'Nobody Wants to Impregnate You': Gaetz
Republican lawmaker mocks appearance of abortion rights supporters to student convention
- Appearing before a Florida convention of young people, Rep. Matt Gaetz said Saturday that women demonstrating for access to legal abortions are too unattractive to become pregnant. "Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?" Gaetz...
Texas Sues US
Over Abortion Rule
Jul 14, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Texas Sues US Over Abortion Rule
Lawsuit would block requirement that doctors provide access in emergencies
- Three days after the federal government told doctors and hospitals they're still required to provide abortions when a patient's health is at risk—regardless of state laws or US Supreme Court rulings—Texas has sued the administration. Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra told health care providers...
Roe Will Give
Jun 27, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Josh Hawley: Roe Will Give GOP More Electoral Strength
Senator says Democrats will head for blue states
Roe v. Wade
overturned, social media has been flooded with posts by pro-choice US residents considering a move to another state. According to Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, that's exactly what the GOP needs to happen. His prediction: "More and more red states are going to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.