Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Secured 45 Ventilators From Russia. All Were Trashed
Meanwhile, Russia collected 200 US ventilators, BuzzFeed reports
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency received 45 Russian ventilators on April 1, shortly after President Trump asked Russian President Vladimir Putin for help dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. As BuzzFeed reports, "they were part of a lopsided aid deal between the countries that would ultimately see Russia delivering a...
New Country Takes the No. 2 Slot in Virus Cases
As 2 deadly fires in Russian hospitals kill 6
- Russia might have a serious problem with ventilators on its hands, but this one doesn't involve shortages. A fire that broke out Tuesday at a hospital in St. Petersburg killed five coronavirus patients who were on ventilators, reports the AP . And that follows a fire in a Moscow hospital...
Nick Cordero's Wife: His Lungs Are 'Severely Damaged'
Amanda Kloots gives the world an update as her husband fights for his life
- Looks like Nick Cordero isn't out of the woods yet. The Broadway actor, who apparently had a leg amputated after testing positive for COVID-19, is now said to have other lingering health effects. CNN reports that while he isn't bleeding internally, his wife Amanda Kloots says "we...
GM CEO: 20-Hour Days Sped Up Ventilator Process
First batch will be delivered by end of April
- Late last month, President Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to mandate that General Motors start cranking out ventilators in bulk to help in the fight against the coronavirus. Now GM and Ventec Life Systems, the medical tech firm it's working with, say they'll deliver their first batch...
Turn Over Execution Drugs for COVID-19 Fight, Experts Plead
Some of the same medicines are used when putting a patient on a ventilator
- States that impose capital punishment by lethal injection have something needed to fight COVID-19. Some of the same pain relievers, sedatives, and paralytics administered in executions are used in hospitals to calm patients when putting them on a ventilator, Newsweek reports. In an open letter, medical professionals are asking state...
I Was Saved by a Ventilator. But My Body Suffered
David Lat battles breathlessness in the wake of his intubation
- After coronavirus patient David Lat was admitted to a New York City hospital, his physician father gave him a warning: "You better not get put on a ventilator. People don’t come back from that." Indeed, the AP reports 40% to 50% of patients with severe respiratory distress...
Some Doctors Are Questioning the Use of Ventilators
But sometimes, there is no alternative
- With hospitals around the country desperately short of ventilators as the COVID-19 crisis intensifies, some doctors are calling for a rethink of how they are used, arguing that a new disease might require a new approach. Skeptics, who note that studies show more than half of coronavirus patients placed on...
China Sends Big Gift to New York State
Gov. Andrew Cuomo calls it 'a big deal'
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday that China is facilitating the shipment of 1,000 ventilators to his state, as he continues to shop for more of the lifesaving devices ahead of a growing number of coronavirus patients who are expected to need them, the AP reports. The number...
New York to Seize Ventilators to Help Swamped Hospitals
Cuomo orders National Guard to move equipment to places with the greatest need
- New York will begin sending the National Guard into hospitals and other places in the state to seize ventilators and take them where they're needed more. Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the executive order Friday, the Hill reports. He said some hospitals don't have many COVID-19 cases and have...
Trump Invokes Act to Compel GM to Make Ventilators
Earlier, he lashed out at General Motors and Ford
- President Trump lashed out at US automakers Friday and demanded they begin making ventilators to help hospitals cope with the pandemic. Hours after airing his complaints on social media, Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to require that General Motors make the machines, reports the
. The act gives...
New York Approves Controversial Ventilator Solution
Medical groups warn against practice of splitting one ventilator between 2 patients
- As the US takes the No. 1 spot in coronavirus cases, the epicenter of the outbreak here has approved a controversial process in anticipation of ventilator shortages. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday his state's hospitals can now split one ventilator between two patients—a "not ideal...
Trump: 'I Don't Believe You Need 30K Ventilators'
He suggests NY gov is exaggerating need
- As the coronavirus crisis escalates, hospitals are pleading for ventilators to save the lives of patients whose lungs are failing. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the state will need 30,000 of the machines when the pandemic peaks, but President Trump thinks the governor is probably exaggerating. Trump downplayed...
Dyson Designed a New Ventilator in Just 10 Days
Boris Johnson appealed to the British vacuum billionaire for help
- The name is most familiar in terms of vacuum cleaners, but Dyson is now going to churn out ventilators, too, reports
. British billionaire James Dyson says the company designed and built a prototype 10 days after receiving an SOS call from Prime Minister Boris Johnson in regard to the...
Worst COVID-19 Patients May Want to Lie Facedown
Per a research letter out of Wuhan, China
- An interesting finding out of Wuhan: A small six-day study in February of Chinese COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized and on ventilators found that their lungs benefited from them lying facedown. In a research letter published in the
American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
, the researchers share the...
Virus-Stricken Family: It Started With 'Normal Cough'
5 family members infected, with 2 in intensive care
- A Missouri family is urging people to stay inside after five members were diagnosed with the coronavirus, including a father and mother in intensive care. Jane Weinhaus, 63, was on a ventilator for more than a week after developing "a normal cough" that wouldn't improve, her son, Ryan,...
Musk Praised for 'Heroic Effort' in Coronavirus Fight
He donates more than 1K ventilators to LA
- Elon Musk has been criticized for downplaying the coronavirus crisis and hesitating to close Tesla factories —but he may also have saved many lives. The Tesla founder, who promised to supply ventilators if there was a shortage, has now donated more than 1,000 of them to Los Angeles,...
She'd Vaped for Just 3 Weeks. Then, a Trip to the ER
Teen spent 5 days on ventilator after she suffered respiratory failure
- News of one scary vaping experience follows another. Days after authorities confirmed a Florida man died when his vape pen exploded , sending projectiles into his brain, a study published in the journal
tells of an 18-year-old Pennsylvania woman who ended up in an emergency room with a cough and...
It Was a Routine Surgery. Then a Nurse Flipped a Switch
Private hospital in London is found negligent in banker's death
- An inquest has blamed the death of an American banker who underwent a routine heart valve operation in Britain on a nurse's mistaken move, reports the
. Robert Entenman died in 2015 at age 57 at one of Britain's biggest private hospitals, London Bridge. The American, who left...
After Months of Fighting, Toddler Abruptly Taken Off Life Support
'He's gone,' says mom
- Israel Stinson, 2, had a bad asthma attack on April 1, went into cardiac arrest, and was declared brain-dead at UC Davis Medical Center. Nearly five months of legal battling ensued, as the California toddler's parents—who did not agree with the prognosis—fought to keep him on life...
How Music Helps Hospital Patients Breathe Again
It helps lower anxiety, dyspnea during ventilator weaning: study
- Scientists have discovered proof that music is its own kind of medicine, at least when it comes to patients on a ventilator. In a study out of the University of Pittsburgh, 22 males and six females coming off of mechanical ventilation after at least four days were given a "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NHL Team Drops Prospect Over His Actions as a Teen
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Kanye's Birthday Gift to Kim: a 'Special Surprise From Heaven'
Site Co-Founder Quits, Saying Biden Article Was Censored
Paralyzed 11 Seconds Into His First Game, He Became an 'Inspiration'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.