Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
on North Carolina
Sep 23, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ophelia Lands on North Carolina
Tropical storm made landfall Saturday, with high winds, flooding expected there, Virginia, Maryland
- Tropical Storm Ophelia made landfall on the North Carolina coast early Saturday, and it's expected to bring damaging winds and dangerous surges of water, the US National Hurricane Center said, per the AP . The storm touched down near Emerald Isle at around 6:20am ET, with maximum sustained winds...
Divided Libyans Seek
Unity in Flood's Wake
Sep 18, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Divided Libyans Seek Unity in Flood's Wake
Disaster's pain has been felt around the country, one man says
- Zahra el-Gerbi wasn't expecting much of a response to her online fundraiser, but she felt she had to do something after four of her relatives died in the flooding that decimated the eastern Libyan city of Derna. She put out a call for donations for those displaced by the...
2 Inches of Rain Shutters
Death Valley for Weeks
Sep 15, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
2 Inches of Rain Shutters Death Valley for Weeks
Heavy rainfall, flooding from Hurricane Hilary has caused 'extensive damage' in super-dry park
- The hottest place on the planet has been shut down for weeks, but not because of the excessive heat. Instead, Death Valley National Park, the driest national park in the nation, has been closed off to visitors after receiving more rain in one day last month than the park typically...
In Libya, a 'Graphic
and Harrowing Situation'
Sep 14, 2023 5:38 AM CDT
In Libya, a 'Graphic and Harrowing Situation'
Mayor of city devastated by flooding says there is an urgent need for body bags
- Officials and rescue workers in Derna, the Libyan city devastated by flooding, say body bags and recovery teams are urgently needed to avoid an epidemic. Mayor Abdulmenam al-Ghaithi said Wednesday that the death toll could reach 20,000, Al Jazeera reports. Some bodies have been buried in mass graves but...
In Derna, Bodies in the Sea,
Others in Mass Graves
Sep 13, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
In Derna, Bodies in the Sea, Others in Mass Graves
Death toll in wake of storm Daniel stands at 5.3K
- The "sea is constantly dumping dozens of bodies," said a government official of the scene in Derna, Libya, where one estimate now puts the number of potential dead at up to 20,000, reports the
Wall Street Journal
gives a lower estimate of 6,000, though...
The Rain Came Down Hard.
Then Came the Crocodiles
Sep 12, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
The Rain Came Down Hard. Then Came the Crocodiles
Chinese town of Maoming overrun with floods, dozens of escaped reptiles during heavy storms
- Heavy rain that started over the weekend in the Guangxi region of China has triggered landslides that are so far responsible for at least seven deaths. In Maoming, however, located in the nation's southeast Guangdong province, residents have an entirely different problem brought about by the rain: dozens of...
Floods Hong Kong
Sep 8, 2023 4:22 AM CDT
Record Rainfall Floods Hong Kong
More than 6 inches fell in a single hour
- Heavy rain in Hong Kong and southern China overnight flooded city streets and some subway stations, with hundreds evacuated and two deaths reported in Hong Kong. Hong Kong authorities said during a joint news conference Friday that the extreme weather was expected to last until at least midnight, with widespread...
8 Die in Moscow
Aug 22, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
8 Die in Moscow Sewer Disaster
They were trapped by flooding, authorities say
- Russian authorities are seeking the organizers of a tour that took people into Moscow's sewer system during heavy rains, with tragic results. In what Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin called a "terrible tragedy," eight people, including a tour guide, died Sunday after flooding trapped them in the sewer...
Natural Disasters Hit
These States Most
Aug 19, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Natural Disasters Hit These States Most
But it's good to be in New England
- If it seems like all you're doing lately is reading about wildfires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, mudslides, earthquakes, and on and on and on, well, you're not alone. While it might seem like natural disasters are inescapable, the folks over at WalletHub crunched some data—going back to 1980—...
Mudslide Barrels Through Town
as Festival Was in Full Swing
Aug 14, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Mudslide Barrels Through Town as Festival Was in Full Swing
Mudslide causes 'very significant' damage in Bardonecchia, Italy, but so far, no major injuries
- Officials in a popular vacation town in the Italian Alps are now organizing a major cleanup job and searching for any possible missing people after a mountain mudslide came barreling through over the weekend. The AP reports that the streets of Bardonecchia are now coated in mud and debris after...
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw
Is Turning Into a Threat
Aug 7, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw Is Turning Into a Threat
Record flooding related to Mendenhall Glacier hits capital city of Juneau
- Three words no Alaskan wants to hear strung together: "record glacier flooding." But that's the current reality for residents of the capital city of Juneau, thanks to a famous glacier that sits above the city, reports Axios . The
frames the big picture after the weekend...
Get Ready, East Coast: You're
Next in Extreme Heat's Sights
Jul 28, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Get Ready, East Coast: You're Next in Extreme Heat's Sights
Super-high temps are working their way from Midwest to Northeast, mid-Atlantic states
- Nearly 200 million people in the United States, or 60% of the US population, are under a heat advisory or flood warning or watch and have been since Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. Dangerous heat is forecast to "engulf" much of the eastern half of the United...
In Canada, 3 Months' Worth
of Rain in a Single Day
Jul 23, 2023 8:55 AM CDT
In Canada, 3 Months' Worth of Rain in a Single Day
A brutal summer continues up north
- Canada isn't just battling wildfires and record heat this summer. Four people are missing after intense thunderstorms dumped record amounts of rain across a wide swath of the Atlantic coast province of Nova Scotia over the past two days, causing flash flooding, road washouts, and power outages, per the...
Body of Girl, 2, Found 6 Days
After Pennsylvania Flooding
Jul 22, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Body of Girl, 2, Found 6 Days After Pennsylvania Flooding
Mattie Sheils' 9-month-old brother is still missing
- Police have confirmed that a body found in the Delaware River near a Philadelphia wastewater plant Friday is that of 2-year-old Matilda "Mattie" Sheils, who was swept away in a flash flood a week ago. Her mother, Katie Seley, was one of five people who died in the flood...
13 Die in South Korea
as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Jul 17, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
13 Die in South Korea as Tunnel Floods in Minutes
Rescuers have saved 9 who were trapped in underground roadway
- Heavy downpours lashed South Korea for a ninth day on Monday as rescuers struggled to search for survivors in landslides, buckled homes, and swamped vehicles in the most destructive storm to hit the country this year. At least 40 people have died, reports the AP , 34 others are injured, and...
Vermont Could Be Staring Down
a Decade-Long Recovery
Jul 13, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
Vermont Could Be Staring Down a Decade-Long Recovery
Flooding 'devastation is far reaching' in the state
- Vermont residents got their first good look at the devastation caused by what's purported to be the worst flooding in the state in nearly a century on Wednesday as Mother Nature offered a brief break in rain. Venturing outside of drenched homes, in some cases for the first time...
'It's Really Troubling
When Your Fire Station
Jul 11, 2023 6:26 PM CDT
'It's Really Troubling When Your Fire Station Is Underwater'
More than 100 rescued in Vermont floods
- More than 100 people have been rescued during severe flooding in Vermont but there have been no reports of death or injuries, authorities say. Michael Cannon, the Vermont urban search and rescue program coordinator, said Tuesday that 117 people and 17 animals have been rescued and more than 60 flooded...
In a First, Montpelier's Dam
Threatens to Overflow
Jul 11, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
In a First, Montpelier's Dam Threatens to Overflow
Residents of Vermont capital advised to seek higher ground in their homes just in case
- In a sign of just bad the flooding might get in Vermont's capital of Montpelier, police are urging residents to head to the upper floors of their homes, reports Boston.com . The reason? The nearby Wrightsville Dam, built in 1935, is almost at capacity. "This has never happened...
of Water Is
Jul 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
'The Amount of Water Is Extraordinary'
Heavy rainfall leads to flash floods across New York state, killing woman and stranding drivers
- Bridges collapsed, streets filled with water, and dozens of drivers were stranded Sunday evening due to flash flooding caused by heavy rainfall across a portion of New York state. The
New York Times
reports that the Hudson Valley, which includes the West Point Military Academy in Orange County, was hardest...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.