Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A 'Nation of Lakes'
Battles an Alarming Trend
Mar 27, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
A 'Nation of Lakes' Battles an Alarming Trend
'The Guardian' looks at devastating increase in lake levels
- A decade ago, geologist Simon Onywere was among the first scientists to notice what residents of waterlogged villages already knew: lakes throughout Kenya are expanding. Since then, a widespread catastrophe has unfolded. Per
the Guardian ,
which traced Onywere’s efforts to help pinpoint the cause and spur action, the Kenyan...
The Pacific Northwest Is
About to Get Very, Very Wet
Feb 28, 2022 9:40 AM CST
The Pacific Northwest Is About to Get Very, Very Wet
Atmospheric river will bring heavy rain, floods to parts of Washington state, Oregon
- If you live in Oregon or Washington state, get out your umbrellas. An atmospheric river is expected to hit the Pacific Northwest hard from Monday into Tuesday morning, with rainfall of 3 inches to 6 inches expected in that one-day span along parts of the coast, and even higher numbers...
Feb 23, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Bull Achieves 'Legend Status' After Intense 50-Mile Ordeal
He apparently survived getting swept over a New Zealand waterfall, for one thing
- A cattle farmer in New Zealand says he's preparing a welcome home party for a young bull who vanished in floodwaters earlier this month, only to turn up 50 miles away near the coast. After intense flooding on the South Island's West Coast, locals spent hours pulling dead...
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
10 Boaters Killed by
Falling Wall of Rock
Jan 10, 2022 12:01 AM CST
10 Boaters Killed by Falling Wall of Rock
Victims were below a cliff face that sheered off above Brazil's Furnas Lake
The cliff collapse in Brazil killed 10 people, only one of whom had been identified by Sunday afternoon, as 68-year-old retiree Julio Borges Antunes. All victims and survivors have now been accounted for, and two people remain hospitalized, the
New York Times
reports. At least 27 others were treated...
Pacific Northwest Flooded,
Snow Closes Mountain Passes
Jan 9, 2022 6:15 PM CST
Pacific Northwest Flooded, Snow Closes Mountain Passes
One socked-in town asked for National Guard help
- Flooding coursed over roads, inundated farmland and curtailed access to a Native American reservation in Washington state on Sunday as the Pacific Northwest slowly recovered from a series of storms that have engulfed the region with rain and snow. The swollen Chehalis River was expected to crest Sunday as the...
Extreme Weather Makes
Old Storm Drains Lethal
Dec 18, 2021 2:20 PM CST
Extreme Weather Makes Old Storm Drains Lethal
ProPublica looks at the growing problem and possible remedies
- It's the type of problem a city often doesn't act upon until after tragedy strikes, and ProPublica reports that the odds of such events are on the rise. The issue is people getting sucked into storm drains—think culverts or large pipes—during flooding. Using news accounts and...
Virginia Beach Votes to Up
Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Nov 3, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Virginia Beach Votes to Up Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Residents OK $568M bond to pay for infrastructure projects
- Voters in Virginia Beach have approved one of the larger bonds in the US to pay for infrastructure projects to guard against rising seas and intensifying hurricanes, suggesting that more Americans are finally willing to spend tax dollars to adapt to climate change. Tuesday's "yes" vote earned nearly...
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet
Oct 23, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet 'Atmospheric River'
2 big weather events set to converge Saturday into Sunday on West Coast, and it likely won't be pretty
As if California didn't have enough to not look forward to this weekend, warnings of a potentially rare "atmospheric river" are now being joined by ones for a hurricane-strength "bomb cyclone," which takes place when a low-pressure system's central pressure plummets 24 millibars or...
Floats to Wedding in a Pot
Oct 20, 2021 2:43 PM CDT
Determined Couple Floats to Wedding in a Pot
Kerala, India, had been hit with deadly floods
- There's making an entrance, and there's
making an entrance.
A determined couple in Kerala, India, traveled to their wedding venue by cooking pot, floating down flooded streets in the huge vessel. The AP reports floods and landslides killed at least 28 as of Monday in Kerala, where angry...
Sep 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Flood Alerts Come Under Question
Weather service realizes it might be overusing the system
- Cellphones across New York and New Jersey pulsed with urgent warnings of catastrophic flooding as the fury of Hurricane Ida's remnants, carrying torrential rains, approached upper New Jersey and New York City on Wednesday. The first alerts of severe weather blared across millions of phones at 8:41 that...
Many Killed In NJ Flooding
Found Trapped In Cars
Sep 4, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Many Killed In NJ Flooding Found Trapped In Cars
Deep, swift water seems to have caught drivers off guard
- At least 25 people died in New Jersey in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. The remnants of the storm dumped rain on the Northeast—as much as three inches in an hour in some areas, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. People in areas that got severe weather and flooding got...
Floods Killed at Least 11
in 'Death Trap' Apartments
Sep 3, 2021 2:42 AM CDT
Floods Killed at Least 11 in 'Death Trap' Apartments
And more from the tragic mid-Atlantic and northeast flooding
- One of the dozens of people who died in flooding caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida was killed on his way home from watching his daughter compete in a college volleyball match. Donald Allen Bauer, 65, had left DeSales University, which was hosting Moravian University, the school his daughter...
More Than 45
Dead in Flooding
Sep 2, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
More Than 45 Dead in Flooding
23 victims were in New Jersey, 12 in New York City
- A stunned East Coast faced a rising death toll, surging rivers, tornado damage, and continuing calls for rescue Thursday after the remnants of Hurricane Ida walloped the region with record-breaking rain, drowning more than two dozen people in their homes and cars, per the AP . In a region that had...
Pilot Saved 17
Aug 27, 2021 2:48 PM CDT
Lone Helicopter Pilot Saved 17 in Floods
'I don't want to lie,' says Joel Byers of Tennessee. 'It was almost a little fun for me'
- Nashville-based helicopter pilot Joel Boyers had just finished helping his fiancee earn her pilot's license on Saturday morning, and they were heading home to celebrate, when he received a frantic call from a woman in Pennsylvania. Her brother's home in the small city of Waverly, Tennessee, was underwater...
Before She Was Swept Away,
She Went Live on Facebook
Aug 24, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Before She Was Swept Away, She Went Live on Facebook
Linda Almond's body was recovered Sunday after home caved in
- One of at least 22 victims killed in Tennessee flooding described her terror in a Facebook Live video moments before she was swept away. "We're being flooded right now," Linda Almond announced in a 70-second video filmed from her son's home in Waverly just before 10:...
Infant Twins Swept Out of
Father's Arms to Their Deaths
Aug 23, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
Infant Twins Swept Out of Father's Arms to Their Deaths
Death toll in Tennessee flooding now above 20
- The death toll in Tennessee's devastating floods is at least 22, authorities said Sunday, with about 20 others confirmed to be missing. The victims range in age from just months old to elderly in the Humphreys County tragedy. Among the dead is Wayne Spears, the longtime foreman of the...
Henri Makes Landfall
in Rhode Island
Aug 22, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Henri Makes Landfall in Rhode Island
Heavy rain has begun in Northeast, and storm's winds are reaching 70mph
- Now a tropical storm, Henri hit the coast of Rhode Island on Sunday afternoon, with high winds that knocked out power to thousands of homes and rain that has brought flash flooding to the Northeast. Even as a tropical storm, Henri had wind gusts up to 70mph, the AP reports,...
Tennessee Towns Left Gutted
by Catastrophic Flash Flood
Aug 22, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Tennessee Towns Left Gutted by Catastrophic Flash Flood
At least 10 dead and dozens missing
- Catastrophic flooding in Middle Tennessee left at least ten people dead and dozens missing Saturday as record-shattering rainfall washed away homes and rural roads, authorities said. Business owner Kansas Klein watched in horror from a bridge Saturday morning as cars and entire houses were swept down a road in...
Downpours Could Last a Week
Aug 14, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
Downpours Could Last a Week
More than 5M residents have been advised to evacuate
- Heavy rains are causing floods, landslides, and evacuations in Japan, with millions of people advised to flee. The nation's meteorological authority issued evacuation warnings Saturday covering more than 5 million people, CNN reports. The agency warned that the rain front could remain over Japan for a week. The southwest...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.