Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Dec 23, 2021 6:55 PM CST
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Abbott's office says there were errors in recommendation by Texas parole board
- The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously recommended that George Floyd, who was convicted on a drug charge in 2004 and killed by a police officer in 2020, be given a full pardon. But Thursday, when it came time for Gov. Greg Abbott to release his annual list of...
Lawyers: Trump Phone Call
Amounts to a Real Pardon
Oct 8, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
Lawyers: Trump Phone Call Amounts to a Real Pardon
Jailed hip-hop manager was promised release by last Christmas
- The fact that the previous president didn't approach the office in a traditional way is not news. The family of a jailed hip-hop manager is now banking that despite an unorthodox manner, clemency they say was granted by Donald Trump will be honored by a federal prison in West...
Missouri Governor: Pardoning
Inmate of 40 Years Not Priority
Jun 9, 2021 1:13 PM CDT
Missouri Governor: Pardoning Inmate of 40 Years Not Priority
Gov. Mike Parson working through a backlog of 3K clemency requests
- Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson says addressing the clemency petition for a man who’s been behind bars for a triple murder for more than four decades is not a "priority," even though prosecutors say he didn't commit the crime. Parson noted that Kevin Strickland, 62, was...
Reality Winner Wants Biden
Answer on 'Glaring Discrepancy'
in case you missed it
May 1, 2021 12:08 PM CDT
Reality Winner Wants Biden Answer on 'Glaring Discrepancy'
Jailed for leaking intel report, she wants to know why she's behind bars for longer than Russian spy
- Reality Winner, who's been behind bars for nearly four years , is set to be released from prison at the end of November, with a chance she could be sent to a halfway house before that. But the 29-year-old Air Force veteran—who leaked a classified National Security Agency report...
Brothers Who Thought They'd
Never Leave Prison Are Freed
Feb 19, 2021 10:26 AM CST
Brothers Who Thought They'd Never Leave Prison Are Freed
They were sentenced to life without parole after victim died of a heart attack
- In 1980, Pennsylvania brothers Reid and Wyatt Evans went along with their friend when he suggested Reid's inoperable antique shotgun could be used for a robbery. They stole 68-year-old Leonard Leichter's Cadillac and dropped him off at a phone booth. But when he died from a heart attack...
Trump Has Busy Last
Full Day in Office Planned
Jan 18, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Trump Has Busy Last Full Day in Office Planned
Sources say president will issue around 100 pardons and commutations
- President Trump's pardoning spree will continue until pretty near the bitter end, sources say. Three people familiar with the matter tell CNN that the POTUS will issue somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pardons and commutations on Tuesday, his last full day in office. He has until noon on...
Dustin Higgs Asks Trump
Not to Put Him to Death
Dec 21, 2020 4:14 PM CST
Dustin Higgs Asks Trump Not to Put Him to Death
His lawyers call the sentencing 'arbitrary and inequitable'
- A federal death row inmate who is due to die on Jan. 15 has petitioned President Trump for clemency. The
explains the case Dustin Higgs is trying to make: Essentially that it was "arbitrary and inequitable" to sentence the man who murdered three woman who had been abducted...
Her Lawyers Got
COVID. Now an
Nov 20, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Her Lawyers Got COVID. Now an Execution Reprieve
Federal judge orders Lisa Montgomery not be put to death before 2021
- Lisa Montgomery is getting a bit of a break. Montgomery was set to be executed on Dec. 8 in Terre Haute, Ind., which would make her the first woman put to death by the federal government in nearly seven decades. But two of her attorneys last week requested a delay...
Lawyers for Death
We Got COVID
Due to Bill Barr
Nov 16, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Lawyers for Death Row Inmate: We Got COVID Due to Bill Barr
Lisa Montgomery's attorneys: Surprise execution date set during pandemic forced us to travel
- Two attorneys for a female death-row inmate are blasting Attorney General Bill Barr, saying they contracted COVID-19 because he "recklessly" put their client's execution on the calendar for next month, all while the pandemic is still raging. In a lawsuit filed on behalf of Lisa Montgomery against the...
Clemency Order Came
With Extras for Stone
Jul 14, 2020 11:29 AM CDT
Clemency Order Came With Extras for Stone
Trump ally also escapes probation, $20K fine
- President Trump's clemency order doesn't just mean Roger Stone is free to campaign for him . It also means Trump's longtime ally will escape two years of probation in addition to a $20,000 fine, reports
. That was clarified Monday as the Justice Department released Trump'...
The People Trying to Halt
His Execution Are Unexpected
Feb 19, 2020 10:24 AM CST
The People Trying to Halt His Execution Are Unexpected
Among them: the daughter of one of the people Nick Sutton murdered
- Death row inmate Nick Sutton has an unusual group of supporters seeking to block his scheduled execution Thursday. Among them are family members of his victims, as well as past and present prison workers calling for clemency. Sutton, 58, was sentenced to death in 1986 for killing fellow inmate Carl...
She's Newly Freed,
and Now Newly Married
Aug 13, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
She's Newly Freed, and Now Newly Married
Cyntoia Brown marries musician J. Long
- Cyntoia Brown, an inmate recently released on clemency after being given a life sentence at the age of 16, has married recording artist J. Long, formerly associated with the R&B group Pretty Ricky. Wes Yoder, a representative for Brown-Long, the name she now goes by, confirmed Monday the two...
Bernie Madoff Asks
Trump for Clemency
Jul 25, 2019 1:48 AM CDT
Bernie Madoff Asks Trump for Clemency
'The very definition of chutzpah'
- Bernie Madoff is now 10 years into his 150-year sentence for orchestrating a $65 billion Ponzi scheme—and the 81-year-old is looking for a way out. Justice Department records show that Madoff has petitioned President Trump to commute his sentence, and the request is listed as "pending," ABC...
Note to Woman
Jul 12, 2019 11:12 AM CDT
Obama Sends Note to Woman He Freed From Prison
'I am so proud of you,' he tells Danielle Metz
- In the home stretch of his presidency, Barack Obama issued a wave of clemencies , mostly for people serving long sentences on drug convictions. One of those freed from prison was a woman named Danielle Metz, who was arrested in 1993 at the age of 26 and given three life sentences...
For Over 250 Prisoners,
It Really Is Christmas
Dec 25, 2018 5:05 PM CST
For Over 250 Prisoners, It Really Is Christmas
Gov. Brown issues over 250 clemency decisions
- California Gov. Jerry Brown has pardoned five refugees from Cambodia and another immigrant from Honduras who faced the possibility of deportation because of their criminal convictions, the AP reports. The pardons were among more than 250 clemency decisions announced by the governor on Christmas Eve. According to Brown's office,...
Trump Commutes Sentence of
Great-Grandma Jailed for Life
Jun 6, 2018 1:16 PM CDT
Trump Commutes Sentence of Great-Grandma Jailed for Life
Kim Kardashian had lobbied for Alice Marie Johnson's release
- Just one week after Kim Kardashian met with President Trump to argue the case of a great-grandmother sentenced to life in prison over a first-time drug conviction, the POTUS took action. He granted clemency to Alice Marie Johnson Wednesday, commuting the life sentence of the 63-year-old Tennessee woman who was...
Kim Kardashian Meets Trump,
Makes Clemency Request
May 31, 2018 1:42 AM CDT
Kim Kardashian Meets Trump, Makes Clemency Request
She wants him to pardon a great-grandmother
- Kim Kardashian met President Trump at the White House Wednesday—and they had more to talk about than their shared past as reality TV stars. Kardashian spoke to Trump about a possible pardon for Alice Marie Johnson, a 63-year-old great-grandmother from Tennessee serving life in prison without parole for a...
With His Execution Nigh,
a Big Twist in Texas
Feb 22, 2018 11:47 AM CST
With His Execution Nigh, a Big Twist in Texas
Thomas Whitaker's case is in Gov. Greg Abbott's hands
- The crime was horrific, the aftermath doubly so: A Texas family of four was shot by a masked gunman in December 2003. Kent Whitaker's wife and one of his two sons didn't make it, and Whitaker's initial desire for vengeance gave way to a decision to forgive,...
'Bookkeeper of Auschwitz'
Must Go to Prison
Jan 17, 2018 10:45 AM CST
'Bookkeeper of Auschwitz' Must Go to Prison
Appeal of 96-year-old Oskar Groening is denied
- German authorities have rejected a former Auschwitz death camp guard's bid for clemency, removing the final barrier to the 96-year-old serving his sentence for accessory to murder. Prosecutors rejected former SS sergeant Oskar Groening's clemency request filed earlier this week, per the AP . Groening had been known as...
Clemency by Obama
Is Back in Prison
Jun 12, 2017 7:27 AM CDT
Woman Granted Clemency by Obama Is Back in Prison
Carol Denise Richardson was among 1.7K inmates freed during Obama's tenure
- A Texas woman serving a life sentence for a relatively minor drug offense and given a second chance by President Obama is headed back to prison. Carol Denise Richardson, 49, was among hundreds of non-violent drug offenders granted clemency by Obama, who was persuaded by arguments from activists that drug...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Best TV Shows of All Time
7 Big Issues on New Supreme Court Docket
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.