Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Israel and Palestinians
Stories 1 - 20 |
US: Shot From Israeli Lines
Probably Killed Journalist
Jul 4, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
US: Shot From Israeli Lines Probably Killed Journalist
Bullet was so damaged that forensic experts say they can't be certain
: The gunshot that killed a journalist in the occupied West Bank probably came from an Israeli military position, the US State Department said Monday, but the bullet was so damaged that forensic experts can't be sure. Although they couldn't positively match the bullet to a gun, the...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Palestinians, Police Clash
Again at Holy Site
Apr 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Palestinians, Police Clash Again at Holy Site
Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem's Old City has been the site of confrontations
- Israeli police on Sunday entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City to secure the way for Jewish visitors to the flashpoint holy site, fueling clashes that left 17 Palestinians wounded, said Palestinian medical workers. The unrest happened two days after clashes with Palestinians at the same site....
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
Father: Israel Has Held Teen
Son a Year Without Charges
Jan 10, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Father: Israel Has Held Teen Son a Year Without Charges
17-year-old Palestinian with neuromuscular disorder is under 'administrative detention'
- Israel is considering whether to extend the detention of a 17-year-old Palestinian boy with a rare neuromuscular disorder who has been held without charge for nearly a year in what authorities refer to as administrative detention, his father said Monday. The use of administrative detention has galvanized demonstrations across the...
Nixes a Hebrew
of Her Novel
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Sally Rooney Nixes a Hebrew Translation of Her Novel
Author's decision is due to her opinion on the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Sally Rooney, an author who's been referred to as "the first great millennial novelist," is making her stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict crystal clear: The 30-year-old won't allow a Hebrew translation of her latest novel. Rooney rejected an offer from Israeli publisher Modan, which published her...
Israeli Troops Open Fire
on Palestinian Protesters
Aug 21, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Israeli Troops Open Fire on Palestinian Protesters
24 demonstrators and an Israeli police officer are wounded
- Israeli gunfire on Saturday wounded 24 Palestinians, including a 13-year-old boy who was shot in the head, health officials said. An Israeli police officer was critically wounded by Palestinian gunfire during the clashes along Gaza's border with Israel, the AP reports. The violence erupted after hundreds of Palestinians took...
Olympian Refuses to Face
Jul 24, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Olympian Refuses to Face Israeli Opponent
Fethi Nourine bowed out rather than face Tohar Butbu
- An Algerian athlete is being sent home from the Tokyo Olympics after refusing to face an Israeli opponent. Fethi Nourine bowed out of men's judo 73K division late Thursday and told Algerian television that his support for the Palestinian people precludes him from facing Tohar Butbul. Per Reuters , Nourine...
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will
Face 'Serious Consequences'
Jul 20, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will Face 'Serious Consequences'
Naftali Bennett promises to 'act aggressively' against boycott actions
- Israel's prime minister has warned Ben & Jerry's that there will be "serious consequences, legal and otherwise" for its decision to ban sales of its ice cream in what the company calls "Occupied Palestinian Territory." Naftali Bennett said Tuesday that Israel "will act aggressively...
Ben & Jerry's Announces
Withdrawal From West Bank
Jul 19, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Ben & Jerry's Announces Withdrawal From West Bank
Company says its ice cream won't be sold in 'Occupied Palestinian Territory'
- An announcement from Ben & Jerry's on Monday got a very frosty reception in Israel. The Vermont-based company said in a statement that it will no longer allow its ice cream to be sold in the "Occupied Palestinian Territory"—the West Bank and east Jerusalem—because the...
Palestinians Cancel Deal
for Vaccine From Israel
Jun 18, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Palestinians Cancel Deal for Vaccine From Israel
Doses were nearing expiration, officials say
- The Palestinian Authority called off an agreement for Israel to transfer 1 million doses of coronavirus vaccines to it in exchange for a similar number later this year, hours after the deal was announced on Friday. The Palestinians said the doses, which Israel began shipping to the occupied West Bank,...
Israel Breaks Ceasefire
Jun 16, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
After Incendiary Balloons Launched, Israel Breaks Ceasefire
The balloons, in turn, were launched from Gaza in response to an Israeli march
- Israeli aircraft carried out a series of airstrikes at militant sites in the Gaza Strip early Wednesday, the first such raids since a shaky cease-fire ended the war with Hamas last month, the AP reports. The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli...
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
This Could Be
May 24, 2021 9:08 AM CDT
For Biden, This Could Be a 'Kissinger Moment'
Thomas Friedman sees at least the possibility to forge Mideast peace
New York Times
columnist Thomas Friedman has a new piece with a provocative headline: "How Joe Biden Can Win a Nobel Peace Prize." It involves two words that have long vexed US presidents: Mideast peace. Friedman voices plenty of skepticism about the prospects of negotiating a lasting...
Yet on Mideast
May 24, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
White House Making Biggest In-Person Push Yet on Mideast
Secretary of State Blinken is heading to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken is heading to the Middle East to press the Israelis, Palestinians, and regional players to build on last week’s Gaza ceasefire by laying the groundwork for an eventual resumption in long-stalled peace talks, per the AP . President Biden announced Blinken would depart on Monday...
March in Gaza
May 22, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Armed Fighters March in Gaza
Hamas' display of strength contrasts with weakened Palestinian Authority
- Hundreds of masked Hamas fighters brandishing assault rifles paraded in Gaza City on Saturday in a defiant show of strength after the militants' 11-day war with Israel. Wearing military camouflage, the fighters walked past the mourning tent for Bassem Issa, a senior commander killed in the fighting. The top Hamas...
He Was Walking to a
Pro-Israel Rally. Then,
'4 Terrifying Minutes'
May 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
He Was Walking to a Pro-Israel Rally. Then, '4 Terrifying Minutes'
Jewish man beaten by mob in NYC's Times Square: 'I could have died'
- A Jewish man headed toward a pro-Israel rally over the current conflict in the Gaza Strip was beaten by a mob in New York City's Times Square earlier this week, with the relentless attack continuing for what the
New York Daily News
describes as "four terrifying minutes."...
Biden to Stick
May 20, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
With Cease-Fire, Biden to Stick With 'Quiet Diplomacy'
Aides say administration officials have been on the phone to other leaders 80 times
- President Biden has said little to the nation about the Israeli-Palestinian fighting, and he's heard about that, from people who wanted him to do or say more. With the cease-fire announced Thursday, Biden stepped to the White House microphone to praise everyone involved and to offer assurances that he'...
May 20, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Israel's Netanyahu Announces Cease-Fire
Hamas calls the development a victory
- Israel on Thursday announced a cease-fire in the bruising 11-day war against Hamas militants that caused widespread destruction in the Gaza Strip and brought life in much of Israel to a standstill, per the AP . Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office announced the cease-fire after a late-night meeting of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.