Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Israel and Palestinians
Stories 1 - 20 |
Day After Truce Collapse,
Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Dec 2, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Day After Truce Collapse, Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Hamas-run Health Ministry says at least 200 Palestinians died since fighting resumed Friday
- Israel pounded targets in the crowded southern half of the Gaza Strip on Saturday and ordered more neighborhoods designated for attack to evacuate, driving up the death toll even as the United States and others urged it to do more to protect Gaza civilians a day after a truce collapsed....
Try to Crash NYC
Nov 30, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Pro-Palestinian Protesters Try to Crash NYC Tree Lighting
NYPD kept demonstrators away from holiday event, with a 'handful' of arrests made
- Thousands converged on New York City's Rockefeller Center on a frigid Wednesday night to get close to the annual Christmas tree lighting—among them, a throng of pro-Palestinian demonstrators in support of Gaza. WABC reports that at least 500 protesters rallied outside the News Corp. building at 47th Street...
Hamas Releases First Group
of Hostages Under Truce
Nov 24, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Hamas Releases First Group of Hostages Under Truce
13 Israelis, 12 Thai nationals are set free as ceasefire begins on Friday
- An initial set of hostages abducted from Israel on Oct. 7 has been set free, just as a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas began on Friday, according to media reports and various officials. Thirteen Israelis are said to be in that newly released group, while Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin...
Gaza Gets Back Some Power,
Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Nov 18, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Gaza Gets Back Some Power, Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Israel says it will permit 2 tanker trucks of fuel daily into Gaza, though UN says more is needed
- Limited phone and internet services began working again Friday across Gaza after fuel was delivered to restart generators that power the networks, according to the Palestinian telecommunications company Paltel. Israel announced that it will allow two tanker trucks of fuel (about 15,850 gallons) into Gaza each day for the...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Nov 15, 2023 8:35 AM CST
National Book Awards Disrupted by Defecting Sponsors
At least 2 won't attend Wednesday's NYC ceremony, amid rumors authors will call for Gaza ceasefire
- The National Book Awards already made headlines earlier this year, when it dropped Drew Barrymore from hosting its annual ceremony due to her resuming her talk show amid the Hollywood strikes. Now, with the event set to take place Wednesday in New York, there's more disruption, this time tied...
Let's Not Be Netanyahu's
Nov 14, 2023 7:25 AM CST
Let's Not Be Netanyahu's 'Useful Idiot'
Thomas Friedman writes that Biden should float a peace plan, with Trump's 2020 plan as the framework
- In the view of Thomas Friedman in the
New York Times
, Benjamin Netanyahu does not have much of a plan for Gaza. Based on what the Israeli leader has been saying, his long-term vision amounts to this: "Seven million Jews trying to govern five million Palestinians in perpetuity—and...
'in Poor Taste' From Site
Nov 9, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Scrubs Cartoon 'in Poor Taste' From Site
Critics say editorial panel depicting Hamas leader wearing children as human shields was racist
- An editorial cartoon in the
touching on the Israel-Hamas war has been scrubbed from the newspaper's website after reader backlash accused it of being racist and dehumanizing to Palestinians. That's per the
itself, which reports that the cartoon by Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Ramirez was...
What Their Goal Is
Nov 8, 2023 11:25 AM CST
Hamas Leader Tells the
What Their Goal Is
To bring the Palestinian cause to the fore using violence
- In the month since Hamas' surprise attack on Israel, the
New York Times
has spoken with Hamas leadership about what their objective was in launching it. Chaos and carnage was the point, they say. "Hamas' goal is not to run Gaza and to bring it water and electricity and...
6-Word Phrase on Israel
Nov 6, 2023 8:54 AM CST
6-Word Phrase on Israel Stokes Controversy
Rep. Rashida Tlaib invokes 'from the river to the sea,' which some see as an anti-Israeli rallying cry
- The lone Palestinian-American in Congress is defending her use of a six-word phrase—"from the river to the sea"—that has become a political flashpoint in the US over the Israel-Hamas war. "From the river to the sea is an aspirational call for freedom, human rights, and...
As US Urges Pause, Israel
Strikes 2 More Refugee Camps
Nov 6, 2023 12:00 AM CST
As US Urges Pause, Israel Strikes 2 More Refugee Camps
Dozens reportedly killed as Blinken continues his third visit since war broke out
- Israeli airstrikes hit two refugee camps in the central Gaza Strip on Sunday, killing at least 53 people including children and wounding dozens in central Gaza, health officials said. The Palestinian death toll in the Israel-Hamas war surpassed 9,700 with more than 4,000 of them children and minors,...
Israeli 'Concept Paper'
on Gaza's 2.3M
People Worries Egypt
Nov 5, 2023 5:03 AM CST
Israeli 'Concept Paper' on Gaza's 2.3M People Worries Egypt
Report deemed a hypothetical by Netanyahu proposes moving Palestinians to Egypt's Sinai
- An Israeli government ministry has drafted a wartime proposal to transfer the Gaza Strip's 2.3 million people to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, drawing condemnation from Palestinians and worsening tensions with Cairo. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office played down the report compiled by the Intelligence Ministry as a...
'An Entire Population
Nov 4, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
'An Entire Population Is Traumatized'
UN chief decries 'horrific' situation in Gaza; Israeli airstrike hits home of exiled Hamas leader
- Israel's military hit the family home of the exiled leader of Hamas on the outskirts of Gaza City with an airstrike on Saturday and pressed ahead with attacks across the besieged enclave, where a humanitarian crisis is rapidly worsening. With food, water, and the fuel needed for generators that...
of Ground Forces
Oct 27, 2023 1:32 PM CDT
Israeli Military 'Expanding' Activity of Ground Forces in Gaza
Army is moving closer to an expected full-fledged ground invasion
- The Israeli military on Friday said its ground forces were "expanding their activity" in the Gaza Strip, as the army moved closer to a full-on ground invasion of the besieged territory. Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, the army's spokesman, said aerial attacks had been targeting Hamas tunnels and other...
Posts on Israel
Oct 25, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Sorkin Dumps Agency After Agent's 'Wrong' Posts on Israel
'West Wing' creator is returning to WME after Maha Dakhil's online remarks on 'genocide'
- As some people are being fired for their social media posts regarding the Israel-Hamas war , others are making their own moves. Among them:
creator and writer Aaron Sorkin, who's dropped CAA as his agency and moved back to WME after his agent, Maha Dakhil, put up a...
US Preps Mass Evacuation
of Americans From Mideast
Oct 24, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
US Preps Mass Evacuation of Americans From Mideast
Report comes as Israel's bombardment of Gaza escalates
- Israel has significantly ramped up its airstrikes on Gaza in anticipation of a ground invasion, with the military saying it has hit more than 720 targets in the last two days, reports the
New York Times
. The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry, meanwhile, said it logged more than 700 Palestinian deaths...
Oct 24, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Editor Canned for Retweeting the Onion's Gaza Satire
Michael Eisen of eLife, who's Jewish with Israeli family, fired for satirical post on Palestinian civilians
- The editor-in-chief of a prominent science journal has been fired after he retweeted an Onion article related to the Israel-Hamas war. Mediaite reports that Michael Eisen , who heads up the
journal and also serves as a geneticist at the University of California, let the world know of his dismissal...
Another Law Firm Rescinds
Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Oct 18, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Another Law Firm Rescinds Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Davis Polk slams law students whose groups signed statements condemning Israel
- An elite law firm has withdrawn job offers to three law students from Harvard and Columbia, saying those students were part of groups that signed public statements regarding the Israel-Hamas war. "These statements are simply contrary to our firm's values," so "rescinding these offers was appropriate...
Dozens Dead in Gaza Area
Where Civilians Sought Refuge
Oct 17, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Dozens Dead in Gaza Area Where Civilians Sought Refuge
Israel bombs southern Gaza after telling civilians to flee there; Hamas says top commander killed
- Israel bombed areas of southern Gaza, where it had told Palestinians to flee to, ahead of an expected ground invasion, killing dozens of people on Tuesday in attacks it says are targeted at Hamas militants that rule the besieged territory, reports the AP . With no water, fuel, or food being...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.