Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cyrus Vance Jr.
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Trump Case
Failure of Justice'
Mar 24, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ex-Prosecutor in Trump Case Claims 'Grave Failure of Justice'
Mark Pomerantz says Trump is guilty of multiple felonies despite no indictment
- A senior Manhattan prosecutor who led the investigation of Donald Trump's finances says the former president is "guilty of numerous felony violations" and it's "a grave failure of justice" not to indict him. The investigating team "harbors no doubt about whether he committed crimes—he...
Dec 20, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Trump Just Sued New York's Attorney General
He says Letitia James' investigation of him is politically biased
Donald Trump is suing the attorney general of New York over her investigation of his business empire, reports the
New York Times
. The former president says the inquiry by Letitia James violates his constitutional rights because it's politically motivated. "Her mission is guided solely by political animus...
Billionaire Gets 'Unprecedented
Lifetime Ban' on Antiquities
Dec 7, 2021 11:16 AM CST
Billionaire Gets 'Unprecedented Lifetime Ban' on Antiquities
Michael Steinhardt will face no charges over $70M in stolen items
- A New York billionaire will face no criminal charges after surrendering 180 antiquities worth $70 million, which authorities say were stolen from 11 countries. The items had been looted from Bulgaria, Egypt, Greece, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Syria and Turkey, and trafficked by 12 criminal smuggling networks before...
Convictions of Two
in Malcolm X Killing
Nov 18, 2021 2:44 PM CST
Judge Tosses Convictions of Two in Malcolm X Killing
New investigation cleared Muhammad Aziz, Khalil Islam
A Manhattan judge on Thursday threw out the convictions of two men convicted of killing Malcolm X decades ago. Muhammad Aziz and Khalil Islam both wrongfully served years in prison before being released in the 1980s. A new investigation cleared the men, and even the admitted gunman says the...
Trump Denounces Grand Jury
Move as a 'Witch Hunt'
May 26, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
Trump Denounces Grand Jury Move as a 'Witch Hunt'
Manhattan DA convenes panel, which could lead to charges
- The Manhattan district attorney's investigation into the Trump Organization has entered a new phase that could lead to an indictment of the former president, insiders say. Sources tell the
that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. has convened a special grand jury that may be asked to...
Like New Turn in
May 19, 2021 4:29 PM CDT
Trump Doesn't Like New Turn in Investigation
New York state case has become criminal
- On Tuesday, New York prosecutors announced they're working on a criminal investigation of the Trump Organization, after starting out with a civil case. On Wednesday, former President Trump made his feelings about that development clear. "There is nothing more corrupt than an investigation that is in desperate search...
Apr 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Manhattan Drops Prostitution Cases
Vance changes policy on prosecuting sex workers
- Prostitution and unlicensed massage criminal cases will no longer be prosecuted in Manhattan, the district attorney announced Wednesday, joining a national trend. "Over the last decade we've learned from those with lived experience," Cyrus Vance Jr. said in a statement, "and from our own experience on...
Cyrus Vance, DA Investigating
Trump, Has Big Personal News
Mar 12, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Cyrus Vance, DA Investigating Trump, Has Big Personal News
Manhattan district attorney won't seek reelection, will retire on Dec. 31
- Cyrus Vance Jr.—the Manhattan district attorney who prosecuted Harvey Weinstein and is now leading a criminal investigation of Donald Trump and the Trump Organization on potential bank, insurance, and tax fraud—has just set in motion the hourglass on his remaining time in office. In an interview published...
Feb 25, 2021 12:05 PM CST
Manhattan DA: We've Got Trump's Tax Returns
Sources say Cy Vance's office has 'millions of pages' of documents
- A Supreme Court decision earlier this week handed Donald Trump a "significant" defeat, ruling that prosecutors in New York be given eight years' worth of the former president's tax returns and other financials. The ball seems to be quickly rolling on that front: On Thursday, a rep for...
a Big Defeat
Feb 22, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Big Defeat
Justices clear the way for New York prosecutors to get his tax returns
- The Supreme Court handed former President Trump what the AP calls a "significant" defeat on Monday, ruling that Trump must hand over eight years of tax returns and financial records to prosecutors in New York. The decision means that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. will get valuable information...
Court: Trump Still
Needs to Hand Over
His Tax Returns
Oct 7, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Court: Trump Still Needs to Hand Over His Tax Returns
Case set to return to SCOTUS
- A case involving President Trump's tax returns is set to go to the Supreme Court for the second time this year. A federal appeals court handed Trump yet another defeat in the case Wednesday, ruling that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. can enforce a subpoena ordering Trump's...
Manhattan DA Reveals
Surprise on Trump Inquiry
Aug 3, 2020 1:41 PM CDT
Manhattan DA Reveals Surprise on Trump Inquiry
It goes beyond hush-money payments into allegations of business fraud
- A Manhattan prosecutor's investigation into President Trump and his family company is bigger than realized. Until Monday, it was widely believed that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance was looking only at hush-money payments made to two women during the 2016 campaign, reports the
New York Times
. But in...
Trump Lawyers Will Keep
Fighting Tax Records Subpoena
Jul 15, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Trump Lawyers Will Keep Fighting Tax Records Subpoena
They say SCOTUS ruling left room for challenges
- A week after losing a Supreme Court ruling , President Trump’s lawyers said Wednesday they're considering challenging subpoenas for his tax records by criminal prosecutors on grounds that the subpoenas are a fishing expedition or a form of harassment or retaliation against him. The plans were outlined in a...
Trump Blasts Supreme Court
After Rulings on His Records
Jul 9, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Trump Blasts Supreme Court After Rulings on His Records
Court says Manhattan prosecutor can pursue his tax returns, but Congress is rebuffed for now
- The Supreme Court on Thursday gave President Trump some good news (at least temporarily) and some bad news in his fight to keep his financial records private. But the upshot of both rulings is that it's unlikely any of Trump's financial information will be made public before the...
More Accusers Want Prison
for Yang's OB-GYN
Feb 15, 2020 11:30 AM CST
More Accusers Want Prison for Yang's OB-GYN
Robert Hadden avoided prison with a plea deal
- More than 40 women have accused a New York OB-GYN of sexual abuse since Evelyn Yang—whose husband, Andrew, withdrew from the Democratic presidential race this week—said publicly that she is a victim of Robert Hadden. And they're not happy with the way prosecutors handled his case. The...
Nov 4, 2019 11:16 AM CST
Appeals Court Rejects Trump Assertion of Immunity
But president's attorneys plan to appeal to Supreme Court in fight over tax returns
- President Trump ran into another legal setback Monday in efforts to keep his tax returns out of the hands of criminal investigators in New York. A federal appeals court declared that Trump's accountant must turn over the returns to the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr....
Reports: Manafort Headed
to 'Worst Place on Earth'
Jun 4, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Reports: Manafort Headed to 'Worst Place on Earth'
He'll be in solitary confinement at Rikers Island for 'protection,' per Fox
- President Trump's former campaign chairman is reportedly headed for what was once described as " the worst place on Earth ." As soon as Thursday, Paul Manafort is to be transferred to New York City's notorious Rikers Island prison and "will be held in solitary confinement for...
A Tip About Huge
Led to the Dark Web
Apr 17, 2019 9:13 AM CDT
A Tip About Huge ATM Withdrawals Led to the Dark Web
At least 420K counterfeit Xanax tablets were seized
- Their "storefront" operated on the dark web, but their undoing was a bunch of New York City ATMs, say prosecutors. Three New Jersey men have been charged in what prosecutors describe as a $2.3 million pill operation that sold counterfeit Xanax and other drugs to customers in 43...
New York, Feds Pay to Test
Rape Kits Around the Nation
Mar 12, 2019 4:11 PM CDT
New York, Feds Pay to Test Rape Kits Around the Nation
Funding has helped bring hundreds of convictions
- Languishing evidence in over 100,000 sexual assault cases around the country has been sent for DNA testing with money from a New York prosecutor and federal authorities, spurring more than 1,000 arrests and hundreds of convictions in three years, officials say. It's estimated that another 155,000...
Harvey Weinstein Indicted on
Rape, Criminal Sex Act Charges
May 30, 2018 5:55 PM CDT
Harvey Weinstein Indicted on Rape, Criminal Sex Act Charges
His lawyer says they'll fight the indictment
- Harvey Weinstein was indicted Wednesday on rape and criminal sex act charges, furthering the first criminal case to arise from a slate of sexual misconduct allegations against the former movie mogul. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. said the indictment brings Weinstein "another step closer to accountability." The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.