Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cyrus Vance Jr.
Court: Trump Still Needs to Hand Over His Tax Returns
Case set to return to SCOTUS
- A case involving President Trump's tax returns is set to go to the Supreme Court for the second time this year. A federal appeals court handed Trump yet another defeat in the case Wednesday, ruling that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. can enforce a subpoena ordering Trump's...
Manhattan DA Reveals Surprise on Trump Inquiry
It goes beyond hush-money payments into allegations of business fraud
- A Manhattan prosecutor's investigation into President Trump and his family company is bigger than realized. Until Monday, it was widely believed that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance was looking only at hush-money payments made to two women during the 2016 campaign, reports the
New York Times
. But in...
Trump Lawyers Will Keep Fighting Tax Records Subpoena
They say SCOTUS ruling left room for challenges
- A week after losing a Supreme Court ruling , President Trump’s lawyers said Wednesday they're considering challenging subpoenas for his tax records by criminal prosecutors on grounds that the subpoenas are a fishing expedition or a form of harassment or retaliation against him. The plans were outlined in a...
Trump Blasts Supreme Court After Rulings on His Records
Court says Manhattan prosecutor can pursue his tax returns, but Congress is rebuffed for now
- The Supreme Court on Thursday gave President Trump some good news (at least temporarily) and some bad news in his fight to keep his financial records private. But the upshot of both rulings is that it's unlikely any of Trump's financial information will be made public before the...
More Accusers Want Prison for Yang's OB-GYN
Robert Hadden avoided prison with a plea deal
- More than 40 women have accused a New York OB-GYN of sexual abuse since Evelyn Yang—whose husband, Andrew, withdrew from the Democratic presidential race this week—said publicly that she is a victim of Robert Hadden. And they're not happy with the way prosecutors handled his case. The...
Appeals Court Rejects Trump Assertion of Immunity
But president's attorneys plan to appeal to Supreme Court in fight over tax returns
- President Trump ran into another legal setback Monday in efforts to keep his tax returns out of the hands of criminal investigators in New York. A federal appeals court declared that Trump's accountant must turn over the returns to the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr....
Reports: Manafort Headed to 'Worst Place on Earth'
He'll be in solitary confinement at Rikers Island for 'protection,' per Fox
- President Trump's former campaign chairman is reportedly headed for what was once described as " the worst place on Earth ." As soon as Thursday, Paul Manafort is to be transferred to New York City's notorious Rikers Island prison and "will be held in solitary confinement for...
A Tip About Huge ATM Withdrawals Led to the Dark Web
At least 420K counterfeit Xanax tablets were seized
- Their "storefront" operated on the dark web, but their undoing was a bunch of New York City ATMs, say prosecutors. Three New Jersey men have been charged in what prosecutors describe as a $2.3 million pill operation that sold counterfeit Xanax and other drugs to customers in 43...
New York, Feds Pay to Test Rape Kits Around the Nation
Funding has helped bring hundreds of convictions
- Languishing evidence in over 100,000 sexual assault cases around the country has been sent for DNA testing with money from a New York prosecutor and federal authorities, spurring more than 1,000 arrests and hundreds of convictions in three years, officials say. It's estimated that another 155,000...
Harvey Weinstein Indicted on Rape, Criminal Sex Act Charges
His lawyer says they'll fight the indictment
- Harvey Weinstein was indicted Wednesday on rape and criminal sex act charges, furthering the first criminal case to arise from a slate of sexual misconduct allegations against the former movie mogul. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. said the indictment brings Weinstein "another step closer to accountability." The...
A 2015 Sting Nearly Toppled Harvey Weinstein
But prosecutors overruled NYPD investigators who wanted to charge Weinstein with sex assault
- As allegations pile up against Harvey Weinstein, the
New York Times
reports on a case that nearly exposed the producer's alleged serial sexual harassment two years ago. A police sting caught Weinstein admitting on tape that he grabbed an Italian model's breasts. But after a stable of well-connected...
US Must Stop Anonymous Shell Companies
Make states collect information: Cyrus Vance Jr
- One nation in particular makes it easy for criminals to set up phony corporations and hide their trails, writes New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. at Reuters . Some obscure island? Think much closer to home, as in the United States. In every state except Maine and Alaska, it'...
Strauss-Kahn Maid Calls for New Prosecutor
DSK lawyers rule out plea bargain
- The maid who has accused Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sex assault wants District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. to drop out before he drops the case . The woman's lawyers are urging Vance to step aside and let a special prosecutor take over, Reuters reports. The lawyers accuse a prosecutor in Vance'...
DA Under Fire in Flailing Case of Strauss-Kahn
DA office plagued by poor morale, infighting, say critics
- The meltdown of the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case is shining a spotlight on Cyrus Vance Jr, the Manhattan district attorney, and the results aren't pretty. In the 18 months Vance has been DA, the Manhattan office has gone from being the pre-eminent DA's office in the country to being...
On His Way Out, Manhattan DA Zings Bloomberg
Robert Morgenthau, 90, leaves office this week
- In 35 years as Manhattan DA, Robert Morgenthau has gotten along with every mayor of New York—except the current one. Mike Bloomberg, says Morgenthau, "doesn't want anybody around who doesn't kiss his ring, or other parts of his body." In a wide-ranging interview with the
Popular on Newser
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
Biden Plans White House Surprise
Ex-Trump Campaign Aide Files Suit Over 'Spying'
Iran: We Know Who Killed Our Nuclear Scientist
Wife to Ex-Hubby: Where's My $600M?
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.