Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Couple Likely Gave
Monkeypox to Their Dog
Aug 16, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Couple Likely Gave Monkeypox to Their Dog
WHO's Rosamund Lewis says it's first apparent case of human-to-animal transmission
- What appears to be the first known human-to-pet transmission of monkeypox has surfaced in France. A nonexclusive, cohabiting couple developed symptoms of the virus, which has been appearing mostly in men who have sex with other men, a few days after sleeping with other partners, reports CBS News . Twelve days...
10 Most Popular
Dog Breeds in US
Mar 15, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
10 Most Popular Dog Breeds in US
Labs are still king, but poodles are gaining
- Labrador retrievers are still tugging hardest on US dog lovers' heartstrings, but poodles just strutted back into the American Kennel Club's top five most popular dog breeds for the first time in nearly a quarter-century, per the AP . The club's annual popularity rankings came out Tuesday, drawn from...
Woman Says She
Searched a Week
Told Her Dog Died
Jan 14, 2022 1:13 PM CST
Woman Says She Searched a Week Before Service Told Her Dog Died
Liz Giorgi is warning others away from pet-sitting company Wag after what happened to Fran
- "We're committed to the safety and happiness of all dogs in our care, and peace of mind for pet parents." That's the promise of pet-sitting and -walking service Wag, as seen on its website , but one pet owner says her dog is now dead after being...
Pope: Having Pets
Instead of Kids Is 'Selfish'
Jan 5, 2022 8:57 AM CST
Pope: Having Pets Instead of Kids Is 'Selfish'
Francis calls it a 'denial of fatherhood and motherhood'
- Pope Francis isn't happy with people who forego having children and opt for pets instead. While discussing parenthood at the Vatican, Francis called the idea of being childless "a form of selfishness," per AFP . "We see that some people do not want to have a child,...
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
Nov 26, 2021 1:19 PM CST
CDC Relaxes Dog Import Ban
You'll need valid US vaccination certificate to get your pooch home from 113 countries
Six weeks after banning the importation of dogs from 113 countries over fears of fraudulent rabies vaccination certificates, the CDC is bending a little. It will now allow dogs to return to the US from those countries as long as they are healthy, microchipped, at least six months old,...
Cats May Have a
More 'Profound Mind'
Than We Thought
in case you missed it
Nov 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Cats May Have a More 'Profound Mind' Than We Thought
Research shows cats track their owners' movements around the house
- If you've ever sensed that your aloof cat, who appears to ignore you, nevertheless seems to know just where you are at all times, you may be onto something. A new study out of Japan shows that cats may actually track their owners as they move around the house,...
Woman Looking to Adopt
Pet Finds Her Own Lost Dog
Jul 11, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Woman Looking to Adopt Pet Finds Her Own Lost Dog
Aisha Nieves had given up hope of ever finding Kovu
- When Kovu disappeared, Aisha Nieves was heartbroken. Her dog had been her constant companion for years, and her best friend. Until one day she came home from work to find Kovu gone, having escaped from a hole in her fence caused by a car driving through it, CNN reports. She...
Chance You'll Pass COVID
to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Jul 9, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
Chance You'll Pass COVID to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Cats appear to be more susceptible than dogs
- There's a "surprisingly high chance" people who contract COVID-19 will pass it on to their pets, according to the author of a yet-to-be-published study, with cats especially susceptible. Researchers searched for antibodies in 48 cats and 54 dogs from 77 households where a prior COVID-19 infection was confirmed...
Pet Boom During
May 13, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Pet Boom During Pandemic Strains Veterinarians, Staffs
Overwork, compassion fatigue already were problems
- During the gloomiest stretches of the pandemic, Dr. Diona Krahn's veterinary clinic has been a puppy fest, overrun with new four-legged patients. Typically, she'd get three or four new puppies a week, but between shelter adoptions and private purchases, the 2020 COVID-19 pet boom brought five to seven...
Popular Flea Collar Linked
to Pet Deaths, Human Injuries
Mar 2, 2021 1:09 PM CST
Popular Flea Collar Linked to Pet Deaths, Human Injuries
EPA says Seresto flea and tick collars remain safe enough for sale
- Hundreds of pet deaths and thousands of injuries to pets and humans have been linked to one of the most popular flea and tick collars in the US, according to documents from the EPA. However, there has been no warning about the Seresto collar made by Bayer and sold by...
Nov 28, 2020 4:50 PM CST
Biden Plans White House Surprise
CBS Sunday Morning teases news of a feline
- Major, Champ, and ... pussy-kitty? Looks like Joe Biden's hope for reuniting America will extend beyond Democrats and Republicans, the
reports. A CBS Sunday Morning tweet teased the fact that the new first family—which includes the two aforementioned German shepherds—will be "joined by a cat."...
Pain to Pets
Oct 7, 2020 8:44 AM CDT
Petco Won't Sell Product That Brings Pain to Pets
Pet supplies chain also wants its competitors to stop hawking electronic 'shock' collars
- A pet product that's been labeled "controversial" by the Humane Society will no longer be sold by one major chain. Petco announced Tuesday that consumers won't find human- and bark-activated "shock" collars—devices that administer electronic pulses of varying intensity and duration to help train animals...
a Very Good Boy
in case you missed it
Oct 4, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Thousands Mourn Charlie, a Very Good Boy
Obituary for stair-hating, banana-loving dog goes viral
- Sallie Hammett wrote an obituary for her dog, thinking it would help her sort through some tough feelings. Having now gone viral, the write-up—designed to look like it would appear in a newspaper —has thousands mourning along with her. "Born July 15th, 2013, in Easley, South Carolina,...
We May Be
Doing Our Pets
in case you missed it
Aug 16, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
We May Be Doing Our Pets More Harm Than Good
Esther Woolfson writes about the ways humans unintentionally hurt the animals they love
- Esther Woolfson was at a street corner waiting for the light to turn when she noticed that the young dog being walked by the man next to her was wheezing. Might have been a pug or French bulldog, "but he’s one of those that now form a widespread,...
First Dog in US
to Test Positive Is Dead
Jul 30, 2020 4:33 PM CDT
First Dog in US to Test Positive Is Dead
Buddy, a 7-year-old German shepherd, contracted COVID in Staten Island
- The first dog to be diagnosed with the coronavirus in the US has died. Buddy, 7, had tested positive in April in Staten Island,
reports. The family pet "was the love of our lives," Allison Mahoney said. "I can’t wrap my head around it....
China Pulls a 180
on Its Dog Policy
May 30, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
China Pulls a 180 on Its Dog Policy
Beijing says it's following 'the progress of the times'
- Looks like China has a new official dog policy—namely that people can no longer raise and trade them for commercial purposes,
reports. "With the progress of the times, people's civilization ideas and eating habits are constantly changing, and some traditional customs about dogs will also change,...
Dogs Can Get
the Virus, Too
Apr 28, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Dogs Can Get the Virus, Too
NC pug appears to be first confirmed canine case in US
- It's not just feline pets at risk of the novel coronavirus. A dog in North Carolina has what may be the first confirmed US case of COVID-19 in canines, NBC News reports via a study out of Duke University. Researchers tested Heather McLean, a professor of pediatrics, and each...
US Confirms First Cases
of Coronavirus in Pets
Apr 22, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
US Confirms First Cases of Coronavirus in Pets
2 cats in New York tested positive
- Two pet cats in New York state have tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the first confirmed cases in companion animals in the US, federal officials said Wednesday. The cats, which had mild respiratory illnesses and are expected to recover, are thought to have contracted the virus from people in...
The 'Most Famous Dog'
in America Is Dead at 18
Mar 7, 2020 5:00 PM CST
The 'Most Famous Dog' in America Is Dead at 18
Marnie was beloved for her curious look and lolling tongue
- You know Marnie, the lovable Shih Tzu on Instagram with a curious face and wagging tongue? Well she died this week at 18, and TMZ reports that her LA owner has posted a touching message online. "It is with much grief I share the news that Marnie passed away...
Experts: Dogs, Cats Can't
Pass Coronavirus to Humans
Mar 5, 2020 12:10 AM CST
Experts: Dogs, Cats Can't Pass Coronavirus to Humans
Hong Kong case is 'likely to be a case of human-to-animal transmission'
- Pet cats and dogs cannot pass the new coronavirus on to humans, but they can test positive for low levels of the pathogen if they catch it from their owners. That's the conclusion of Hong Kong's Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department after a dog in quarantine tested weak...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.