Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Their Scheme Made
Couple's Life 'Hell.'
Now, Prison Time
Sep 30, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Ex-eBay execs sentenced to 24 months, 57 months for their role in harassment campaign
- Two former eBay executives are headed to prison for their role in a harassment and intimidation campaign against a Massachusetts couple whose newsletter reporting on the company angered its leadership. Reuters reports that 50-year-old David Harville, once eBay's chief of global resiliency, was sentenced Thursday to two years behind...
After 12 Years of 'Heinous
Evil,' Relief for
Sep 12, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
After 12 Years of 'Heinous Evil,' Relief for
Man who stalked 'CSI: Miami' actress Eva LaRue sentenced to 3 years behind bars
- For more than 12 years, Eva LaRue and her daughter were subjected to dozens of menacing letters and packages, with the sender threatening to rape, torture, and kill them. Now, "finally, we know where he is," the
All My Children
actor told NBC News on...
Proud Boy Who Got Near
Aug 29, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Proud Boy Who Got Near Schumer Sentenced
Capitol Police officers submitted victim impact statements in Joshua Pruitt case
- A Proud Boy from whom Sen. Chuck Schumer and his security team had to flee during the attack on the Capitol was sentenced Monday to 55 months in federal prison. Joshua Pruitt, 40, apologized in court for his actions on Jan. 6, 2021, but stuck to his position supporting then-President...
Another 'Beatle' Hears His
Fate Over ISIS Hostages
Aug 19, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Another 'Beatle' Hears His Fate Over ISIS Hostages
UK national El Shafee Elsheikh, aka the 'Ringo' of the group, gets life in prison
- British national El Shafee Elsheikh was sentenced to life in prison Friday for his role in an Islamic State scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners hostage a decade ago. Elsheikh's hostages gave him a somewhat whimsical nickname—he was dubbed a "Beatle," along with other English-accented...
Trump's Former Money Guy
Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Aug 18, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Allen Weisselberg, 75, also may have to testify about Trump Organization
- A top executive at former President Trump's family business pleaded guilty Thursday to evading taxes in a deal that could potentially make him a star witness against the company at a fall trial, per the AP . Former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg pleaded guilty to all 15 of the...
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Get More Life Sentences
Aug 8, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers Get More Life Sentences
Father, son, and neighbor sentenced for federal hate crime
This story has been updated with new developments
. The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the 25-year-old Black man in a Georgia neighborhood was sentenced Monday to life in prison for committing a federal hate crime. Travis McMichael, 37, was sentenced by US District Court Judge Lisa...
Man Who Attacked
in Sam's Club
Gets 25 Years
Aug 8, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
Man Who Attacked Asian Family in Sam's Club Gets 25 Years
Jose Gomez III said his victims were 'from the country who started spreading that disease around'
- A Texas man has been sentenced to 25 years behind bars on hate crime charges after attacking an Asian family in a Midland Sam's Club at the start of the pandemic. The
reports that 21-year-old Jose Gomez, who pleaded guilty in February to those charges, heard his...
Brittney Griner to Learn
Her Fate Within Hours
Aug 4, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Brittney Griner to Learn Her Fate Within Hours
Russian prosecutors request 9.5-year sentence for WNBA star
- Brittney Griner is expected to learn her fate in her drug smuggling case within hours, and Russian prosecutors have made clear they want it to be a harsh one. Prosecutors on Thursday asked a judge to sentence Griner to 9.5 years in prison, just shy of the 10-year maximum,...
Capitol Rioter Who Threatened
His Children Gets 7 Years
Aug 1, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Capitol Rioter Who Threatened His Children Gets 7 Years
Judge gives Guy Reffitt the longest term yet, saying he hasn't disavowed his call to political violence
- Calling Guy Reffitt's advocacy of political violence absurd and delusional, a federal judge on Monday imposed the longest sentence yet on a defendant convicted of attacking the US Capitol. US District Judge Dabney Friedrich gave the Texas man a prison sentence of 87 months, the
Jul 14, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
Ex-Ga. Mayor Sentenced for 'Deplorable' Pandemic Crime
Jason Lary gets 57 months behind bars for pocketing COVID relief cash meant for Stonecrest
- An "unsavory saga" has come to a conclusion in Georgia, where an ex-mayor is now headed to prison for nearly five years over a COVID relief funds scheme. On Wednesday, US District Court Judge Thomas W. Thrash Jr. sentenced Jason Lary to 57 months behind bars for stealing hundreds...
Judge: Woman Who Arranged
Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Jun 23, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Judge: Woman Who Arranged Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Texas' Jennifer Faith gets life in prison for murder for hire
- A Texas woman who convinced an ex-lover to kill her husband with false tales of sexual abuse, then gave the man gifts and money using funds donated to a GoFundMe account she set up for herself as a victim, has been sentenced to life in prison. On Oct. 9, 2020,...
Ghislaine Maxwell Could
Get 55 Years in Prison
Jun 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Could Get 55 Years in Prison
She wants 5 years; prosecutors say her claim of being a scapecoat is 'absurd and offensive'
- The "shockingly predatory" Ghislaine Maxwell should be sentenced to 30 years up to the maximum 55 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse four teenage girls over a decade, federal prosecutors write in a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday in Manhattan federal court. The 60-year-old played an "instrumental role...
Sentencing in Flight Attendant
Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
May 28, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
Vyvianna Quinonez gets 15 months in prison for punching Southwest crew member in face
- A California woman who punched a Southwest Airlines flight attendant in the face during a flight, breaking her teeth, has been sentenced to 15 months in federal prison. Vyvianna Quinonez was also ordered Tuesday by the federal judge in San Diego to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution and a...
Ex-Art Dealer Gets 7 Years
in Prison for $86M Scheme
May 26, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Ex-Art Dealer Gets 7 Years in Prison for $86M Scheme
Inigo Philbrick defrauded buyers, fled to South Pacific when 'house of cards' crumbled: prosecutor
- A former London and Miami art dealer who pleaded guilty to defrauding art buyers and others of more than $86 million was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison. Inigo Philbrick, 34, a US citizen who previously lived in London, was sentenced in Manhattan federal court by Judge Sidney H....
Judge Sentences Duggar
to More Than 12 Years
May 25, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Judge Sentences Duggar to More Than 12 Years
Former reality TV star may have no unsupervised contact with his children
: Josh Duggar was sentenced Wednesday to more than 12 years in prison on his child pornography conviction, a punishment in between the terms proposed by defense lawyers and prosecutors. The former reality TV star, whose lawyers said he'll appeal the conviction, showed no reaction when the 151-month sentence...
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal
Meds Avoids Jail Time
May 14, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Nurse Who Doled Out Fatal Meds Avoids Jail Time
RaDonda Vaught gets 3 years of supervised probation for death of Charlene Murphey
- RaDonda Vaught, the Tennessee nurse behind a fatal medicine mix-up that killed a 75-year-old woman in 2017, won't be going to prison. WTVF reports that the 38-year-old former nurse at Nashville's Vanderbilt University Medical Center was sentenced Friday to three years of supervised probation, following emotional testimony from...
Belarus Dissident's Girlfriend
Hears Her Fate in Court
May 6, 2022 10:57 AM CDT
Belarus Dissident's Girlfriend Hears Her Fate in Court
Sofia Sapega gets 6 years behind bars for inciting social hatred; Roman Protasevich's trial pending
It's been a year since the plane on which Belarusian dissident journalist Roman Protasevich and his Russian girlfriend were flying was forced to land so the pair could be detained by Belarus. Now, the latter has heard her official fate. Sofia Sapega, 24, was sentenced Friday by a...
Romance Scammer Posed
With Wads of Cash in Photos
May 5, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Romance Scammer Posed With Wads of Cash in Photos
New Jersey's Rubbin Sarpong is sentenced to 14 years in prison
- A New Jersey man just got sentenced to 14 years in prison over an online scam in which he tricked about 40 women on dating websites into sending him money. Prosecutors say one of the women killed herself after wiring him $93,000 and realizing she'd been duped, reports...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
in Crypto Expert's
North Korea Case
Apr 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Justice Served' in Crypto Expert's North Korea Case
Virgil Griffith gets 5 years behind bars after presenting at crypto conference in Pyongyang
It's more than five years behind bars for Virgil Griffith, the hacker accused of helping North Korea evade US sanctions with his cryptocurrency tips. NBC News reports the 39-year-old received a 63-month prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to conspiracy; he admitted to presenting at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.