Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawsuit to McDonald's: Where
Are the Burgers in Your Ads?
May 19, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Lawsuit to McDonald's: Where Are the Burgers in Your Ads?
Chain, along with Wendy's, is accused of false advertising
- Earlier this year, three law firms accused Burger King of making its burgers look way better in advertisements than they are in reality. Now the trio is going after McDonald's and Wendy's with the same accusation, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The new lawsuit alleges that Wendy's...
Parents Sue Apple
May 18, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Parents Sue Apple After Allegedly Damaging Amber Alert
Say the volume of it tore their then-12-year-old's eardrum
- A Texas couple is blaming their 12-year-old son's "permanent hearing loss" on Apple, and on Monday they sued. Carlos Gordoa and Ariani Reyes of San Antonio allege their now-14-year-old, identified as BG, was watching Netflix on his iPhone using his AirPods Pro in 2020 when an Amber Alert...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
He Got the Whole Town's COVID
Payments. Then He Vanished
May 16, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
He Got the Whole Town's COVID Payments. Then He Vanished
Man in Japanese town of Abu took off with nearly $360K mistakenly transferred to him
- Last month, more than 450 households in a Japanese town in the Yamaguchi prefecture eagerly awaited COVID relief payments of about $770 each, designed to help families struggling due to the pandemic. One villager received all the payments in his account, however, and he's now disappeared, as has the...
Man Sued for $650K by Own
Parents for Not Having Kids
May 13, 2022 9:16 AM CDT
Man Sued for $650K by Own Parents for Not Having Kids
Sanjeev, Sadhana Prasad want son and his wife to pay up if there's no grandchild within a year
- If you're newly married and and have been relentlessly pestered by your parents for grandchildren ever since the "I do's," consider yourselves lucky. In India, one young couple is now the subject of a "highly unusual" lawsuit after the man's parents became miffed they...
Judge Says Musk Made
Knowingly False Statements
May 12, 2022 4:59 AM CDT
Judge Says Musk Made Knowingly False Statements
Next, a jury will need to decide how much damage he caused
- In a pre-trial ruling, a federal judge in California has determined that Elon Musk was "inaccurate and reckless" when—out of the blue one summer morning in 2018—he tweeted, "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” Musk had indeed talked to Saudi investors about...
Tentative Deal in Collapse
of Condo Is for Nearly $1B
May 11, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Tentative Deal in Collapse of Condo Is for Nearly $1B
Florida lawsuit settlement awaits final approval
- A nearly $1 billion tentative settlement has been reached in a class-action lawsuit brought by families of victims and survivors of last June's condominium collapse in Surfside, Florida, an attorney said Wednesday. Harley Tropin announced the $997 million settlement during a hearing before Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Michael Hanzman....
Were Hurt at Astroworld
May 11, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Thousands Were Hurt at Astroworld
Injuries to more than 700 last fall required extensive treatment: court filing
- Thousands of concertgoers were injured at the Astroworld festival in Houston last fall, a new court filing says. Lawyers handling a combined lawsuit said 732 people signed onto the suit received injuries that required "extensive medical treatment" during the crowd surge , reports ABC News . And 1,649 other claimants...
Racism at LA Hospital
Killed Black Mom: Suit
May 5, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
Racism at LA Hospital Killed Black Mom: Suit
Charles Johnson files civil rights suit over death of wife Kira, who died hours after c-section
- A Black couple walked into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on April 12, 2016 for what they thought would be "the happiest day of our lives." Instead, just 12 hours after giving birth to the couple's second son during a remarkably fast Cesarean section, Kira Dixon...
Jury: Time for Yeardley
Love's Killer to Pay Up
May 3, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
Jury: Time for Yeardley Love's Killer to Pay Up
George Huguely must pay $15M to mom, sister of slain UVA lacrosse player in wrongful death case
- Sharon Love had already seen her daughter's killer put behind bars for more than two decades. On Monday, the mother of murdered University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love received financial compensation as well. The
reports that Sharon Love and her other daughter, Lexie Love Hodges, were...
Critical Jury Delivers
Full Victory to Kardashians
May 2, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Critical Jury Delivers Full Victory to Kardashians
Blac Chyna had filed defamation suit against family members
- A jury on Monday gave a sweeping win to the Kardashian family in former reality TV star Blac Chyna's lawsuit against them. The Los Angeles jury found that none of the members of the famous family defamed Chyna, nor did any interfere with her contract by persuading the E!...
Family Dollar's Rat Problem
Just Got Bigger
May 2, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Family Dollar's Rat Problem Just Got Bigger
Arkansas is suing the chain over yearslong infestation at distribution warehouse
- Earlier this year it emerged that Family Dollar had a problem with rats . Now the discount chain has a related problem with a bigger foe—the attorney general of Arkansas. The state's Leslie Rutledge filed suit against Family Dollar last week over the previously revealed rat infestation at a...
After 651 Golf Balls Hit
Their Property, They
Sued the Country Club
in case you missed it
May 1, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
After 651 Golf Balls Hit Their Property, They Sued the Country Club
Massachusetts family awarded $5M
- When they bought a home next to a golf course in 2017, Massachusetts couple Erik and Athina Tenczar expected there might be some noise and possibly the occasional ball in their backyard. Instead, they faced a barrage of 651 balls over the next four years, with shots from bad golfers...
Apr 30, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Petito Family Lobs New Accusation Against the Laundries
Amended lawsuit says Brian Laundrie's parents knew Gabby was dead when they went on vacation
- There's a new accusation included in the amended lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito's family against the parents of her alleged killer, fiance Brian Laundrie. Per the Hill , the complaint by Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt now claims that Chris and Roberta Laundrie knew of Gabby's death, and...
Apr 28, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Anchor Sues ESPN, Arguing Retaliation Over Comments
Sage Steele says podcast remarks about Obama, vaccine mandates were made as a private citizen
- An ESPN anchor has sued the network, saying it retaliated against her over remarks she made as a guest on an unrelated podcast last fall. The filing by Sage Steele says the company's actions were in breach of her contract and a violation of her right to free speech,...
Idaho Officer's Accusation:
Police Chief Broke My Neck
Apr 27, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Idaho Officer's Accusation: Police Chief Broke My Neck
Sgt. Kirk Rush files tort claim alleging harm at the hands of Boise Police Chief Ryan Lee
- An Idaho police officer alleges his department's chief broke his neck while demonstrating an unusual neck restraint last October. CBS News explains that state law requires a person who intends to sue a government agency to first file a tort claim, which that agency can then respond to. Sgt....
Kardashians Hear What
Potential Jurors Think of Them
Apr 18, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Kardashians Hear What Potential Jurors Think of Them
Judge has to remind pool even the wealthy are entitled to fairness
- Talking trash about the Kardashians is a common pastime for many Americans. On Monday, a few got to do it to their faces. Kim Kardashian; her mother, Kris Jenner; and her sisters Khloe Kardashian and Kylie Jenner all sat in the front row of a Los Angeles courtroom as prospective...
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't
Happy They've Lost Service
Apr 14, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Russia's Netflix Users Aren't Happy They've Lost Service
After Netflix suspended streaming there due to Ukraine war, subscribers launch $730K class action
- About 1 million of Netflix's 220 million subscribers worldwide are in Russia, and right now, they're pretty miffed. After Vladimir Putin decided to invade Ukraine, the streaming service blocked access in his nation and halted production of Russian-made movies and shows, and now customers there have launched a...
Apr 8, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
Snoop Dogg Sexual Assault Claim Withdrawn
'Her complaint was full of false allegations and deficiencies,' spokesperson says
: A lawsuit against Snoop Dogg that made headlines days before his Super Bowl halftime show performance has been dropped. In the February lawsuit, a woman identified only as "Jane Doe" accused Snoop Dogg and a friend of sexually assaulting her after a 2013 concert. The suit was withdrawn...
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit
Arguing Branding Confusion
Apr 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit Arguing Branding Confusion
Boy Scouts can avoid gender references by using 'scouting,' ruling says
: The Girl Scouts have lost the legal argument that its brand and recruiting efforts have been damaged by the wording used by Boy Scouts in marketing. Because Boy Scouts are entitled to leave gender out of it by using "scouting" and similar terms, "there are no issues...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.