Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
21 Species Off Endangered
List—Because They're Extinct
Oct 17, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
21 Species Off Endangered List—Because They're Extinct
US Fish and Wildlife Service pulls 10 bird species, 8 types of mussels, 2 fish, 1 fruit bat
- Twenty-one animals have been removed from the Endangered Species Act because, according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, they're not endangered—they're extinct. The majority of the species—10 types of birds, eight types of mussels, two species of fish, and one type of bat—were listed...
Seeing This Image
Was 'Most Surreal
Moment of My Life'
in case you missed it
Nov 26, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Seeing This Image Was 'Most Surreal Moment of My Life'
Scientists capture footage of black-naped pheasant-pigeon for first time since 1882
- The researchers had to gun it in their boat to outrun pirates after departing Fergusson Island off of Papua New Guinea. But as the BBC tells it, the likely adrenaline rush that produced may have been dwarfed by the one they experienced on the island itself. The eight-person team in...
Half of World's
Go On the
Sep 27, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Half of World's Palm Trees Go On the 'Red List'
Which means they're at risk of extinction
- A new study presents an alarming stat about what researchers call a "keystone" family of trees—more than half of the world's species of palm trees face extinction. The study in
Nature Ecology and Evolution
finds that more than 1,000 of the 1,900 different species are...
India Brings Back the Only
Large Mammal It Has Lost
Sep 18, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
India Brings Back the Only Large Mammal It Has Lost
The country reintroduces cheetahs some 75 years after they were hunted to extinction
- Cheetahs were hunted into extinction 75 years ago in India, making them "the only large mammal that India has lost," said a conservation expert in the country. "It is our moral and ethical responsibility to bring them back." On Saturday that responsibility was fulfilled, with eight...
Efforts Are Underway to
'De-Extinct' Tasmanian Tiger
Aug 17, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Efforts Are Underway to 'De-Extinct' Tasmanian Tiger
Species has been extinct for almost a century
- The thylacine, a striped, wolf-like animal better known as the Tasmanian tiger, once roamed the Australian mainland as well as the islands of Tasmania and New Guinea. A Texas-based biosciences startup says they could be back within 10 years. The last known thylacine died in a zoo in 1936, but...
for a Century Is
Very Much Alive
Jun 10, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Giant Tortoise Presumed Extinct for a Century Is Very Much Alive
Fernanda is first fantastic giant tortoise seen in Galapagos since 1906, and only the 2nd ever
- A Galapagos giant tortoise species observed only once more than a century ago on a remote volcanic island and thought to have gone extinct as a result of volcanic eruptions has turned up very much alive. A female "fantastic giant tortoise," which the
reports is "significantly...
Most Americans Don't Want
a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Apr 27, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Most Americans Don't Want a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Majority are against bringing dinosaurs back from extinction, if that were an option, per YouGov poll
- If you've ever fantasized about a world in which T. rex once more roamed the Earth, you're in a small minority. YouGov recently surveyed 2,000 American adults on how they felt about helping save endangered species, or even bringing back extinct ones, and the majority answered that...
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
For 23 Endangered Species,
All Hope Is Now Gone
Sep 29, 2021 6:56 AM CDT
For 23 Endangered Species, All Hope Is Now Gone
Ivory-billed woodpecker, nearly 2 dozen other species have been declared extinct by US
- Wednesday is set to be a sad day for nearly two dozen endangered species, with all hope gone that we'll ever see them again. Federal wildlife authorities are expected to announce that the ivory-billed woodpecker, Bachman's warbler, and 20 other animals, as well as one plant, are now...
Sep 20, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
The Koala Population Is Plunging, Group Says
Australian foundation finds 30% drop in 3 years
- "Most animals decline towards extinction," an ecology professor in Australia said, "they don't go for a single reason." That fits the koala's predicament; a host of factors have combined to shrink its population. Most of the koalas' natural habitats in Australia have been cleared...
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid
Was Just a Final Blow
Jul 1, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid Was Just a Final Blow
Study suggests species were struggling before the big collision
- You've heard how an asteroid strike 66 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs . But there's more to the story, according to a new study, which suggests non-avian dinosaurs weren't doing so hot before sulfates and dust filled the atmosphere—some 10 million years before, in fact....
Extinction Is Near
Jan 20, 2021 1:21 PM CST
Monarch Butterfly Count Suggests Extinction Is Near
Only 2K western monarch butterflies were counted in California this winter
- The number of western monarch butterflies wintering along the California coast has plummeted precipitously to a record low, putting the insects closer to extinction, researchers announced Tuesday. An annual winter count by the Xerces Society recorded fewer than 2,000 butterflies, a massive decline from the millions that clustered in...
to a Rather
Jul 19, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Say Goodbye to a Rather Odd Fish
The smooth handfish has been declared extinct
- A fish you've likely never heard of is already gone. The smooth handfish—which stood out with its protruding eyes, mohawk-ish head fin, and ability to walk on its pelvic and pectoral fins—has been declared extinct, LiveScience reports. Experts say it's the first marine fish to die...
6th Mass Extinction Is Speeding
Along. It's 'Entirely Our Fault'
Jun 2, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
6th Mass Extinction Is Speeding Along. It's 'Entirely Our Fault'
Humanity is 'sawing off the limb on which it is sitting'
- Biodiversity is critical for human life, which makes the latest study on it especially troubling. In research published in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
on the sixth mass extinction we're currently undergoing, scientists looked at threatened-species data from the International Union for the Conservation of Nature,...
One Thing That Doomed
Dinosaurs: a Bad Angle
May 26, 2020 7:31 PM CDT
One Thing That Doomed Dinosaurs: a Bad Angle
Asteroid's steep trajectory caused maximum damage
- Dinosaurs might still be roaming the Earth today if not for an incredible run of bad luck 66 million years ago. Researchers had already determined that the city-sized asteroid that hit the planet, leading to the mass extinction, struck at the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time . Scientists...
Sorry, Climate Change.
There's Another Problem
Mar 11, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Sorry, Climate Change. There's Another Problem
Tamar Stelling has a new way to measure Earth's loss of species
- Climate change isn't our only environmental problem—and evidence lies in the North Sea. Back in the 16th century a Dutch fishmonger could witness "whales everywhere, as far as the eye can see," writes Tamar Stelling at the Correspondent . "Some majestically spring from the water as...
Fireflies May Soon Go Dark
Due to a Big Triple Threat
Feb 4, 2020 8:48 AM CST
Fireflies May Soon Go Dark Due to a Big Triple Threat
Researchers warn of possible extinction due to habitat loss, artificial light, and pesticides
- There’s a "quiet apocalypse" happening among insect populations around the world, and fireflies may soon be the next to see their lights dimmed for good. New research out of Tufts University published in the journal
warns that the world’s 2,000 or so species of the...
A Freshwater Giant
Is Now Extinct
Jan 9, 2020 2:25 PM CST
A Freshwater Giant Is Now Extinct
Chinese paddlefish is no more
- One of the world's largest fish is no more. A new study in the
Science of the Total Environment
has declared the Chinese paddlefish to be extinct. As
notes, the freshwater fish had been swimming in the Yangtze River for about 200 million years, but it could...
Malaysia Says Goodbye
to Last Sumatran Rhino
Nov 24, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Malaysia Says Goodbye to Last Sumatran Rhino
Iman, 25, had actually died several times
- It's a sad day in Borneo, where Malaysia's last Sumatran rhino has died—meaning the species is gone in its native country, the
reports. The 25-year-old female, Iman, died of cancer in a sanctuary after dying multiple times from blood loss and being revived, per the...
Study Raises Alarming Stat
About the World's Plants
Jun 11, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Study Raises Alarming Stat About the World's Plants
Researchers say at least 571 species have disappeared in 250 years, far more than animals
- "Most people can name a mammal or bird that has become extinct in recent centuries, but few can name an extinct plant," says Aleys Humphreys, co-author of a gloomy new study on the fate of the planet's plants. Here, then, are three plants that have disappeared in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.