Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dec 9, 2023 8:30 AM CST
US Vetoes 'Imbalanced' Resolution on Gaza Ceasefire
United States was only member nation in UN Security Council to vote against halting the fighting
- The United States vetoed a United Nations resolution Friday backed by almost all other Security Council members and dozens of other nations demanding an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza. Ceasefire supporters called it a terrible day and warned of more civilian deaths and destruction as the war enters its third...
Palestinians Flee to
Dec 8, 2023 4:35 AM CST
Palestinians Flee to Ever-Shrinking Areas
Conditions are dire in designated Gaza 'safe zone'
- Desperate Palestinians fleeing Israel's expanding ground offensive crowded into an ever-shrinking area of the Gaza Strip as the Israel-Hamas war entered its third month Friday. The United Nations warned that its aid operation is "in tatters" because no place in the besieged enclave is safe. With the entire...
Day After Truce Collapse,
Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Dec 2, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Day After Truce Collapse, Israel Bombards Southern Gaza
Hamas-run Health Ministry says at least 200 Palestinians died since fighting resumed Friday
- Israel pounded targets in the crowded southern half of the Gaza Strip on Saturday and ordered more neighborhoods designated for attack to evacuate, driving up the death toll even as the United States and others urged it to do more to protect Gaza civilians a day after a truce collapsed....
Report: Israel Had Details of
Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Dec 1, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Per 'New York Times,' Israeli officials didn't take 'Jericho Wall' document on massacre seriously
- More than a year before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in Israel that left around 1,200 people dead and kick-started the latest war between the nation and the militant group, Israel had a document detailing pretty much to the letter how Hamas would carry out the massacre. But as...
As More Hostages
Are Freed, Israel
Nov 29, 2023 6:52 AM CST
As More Hostages Are Freed, Israel Sees 'Competing Demands'
Whether nation will further extend temporary pause in Gaza fighting or resume the war is a question
- Israel said a dozen more hostages—10 Israelis and two Thai nationals—were released Tuesday by Hamas, on the fifth day of a pause in fighting that's set to expire early Thursday. A tweet from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office noted that the families of this newest set...
Nov 22, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Israel Releases Palestinian Poet of
Mosab Abu Toha was seized at military checkpoint while trying to evacuate: family
- The Israel Defense Forces says Palestinian poet Mosab Abu Toha was released Tuesday, the day after IDF arrested him as he attempted to evacuate to southern Gaza, the
Times of Israel
reports. His wife and children had been allowed to continue on. The IDF says Abu Toha was among a...
IDF: Here's Proof
of Hamas Tunnels
Nov 20, 2023 7:25 AM CST
IDF: Here's Proof of Hamas Tunnels Under Hospital
Israel says footage of shaft, tunnel is evidence of complex Hamas tunnel network under Gaza facility
- The world wanted evidence, and Israel now says it has it. On Sunday, the IDF said in a statement that it had discovered a tunnel underneath Gaza's Shifa Hospital, proof that the militant group was using the hospital as a command center. The IDF had long insisted that was...
Gaza Gets Back Some Power,
Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Nov 18, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Gaza Gets Back Some Power, Internet After Fuel Deliveries
Israel says it will permit 2 tanker trucks of fuel daily into Gaza, though UN says more is needed
- Limited phone and internet services began working again Friday across Gaza after fuel was delivered to restart generators that power the networks, according to the Palestinian telecommunications company Paltel. Israel announced that it will allow two tanker trucks of fuel (about 15,850 gallons) into Gaza each day for the...
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage
Found Near Gaza Hospital
Nov 17, 2023 7:22 AM CST
Israel: Body of 2nd Hostage Found Near Gaza Hospital
Israeli authorities say body of 19-year-old Noa Marciano was discovered
- Israel Defense Forces troops in Gaza say they've found the body of yet another hostage taken during the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, reports the BBC . The Daily Beast identifies this hostage as 19-year-old Noa Marciano, whose body "was found and extracted by IDF troops adjacent...
So Far, Evidence From Gaza
Hospital Is 'Underwhelming'
Nov 16, 2023 11:12 AM CST
So Far, Evidence From Gaza Hospital Is 'Underwhelming'
Israel under pressure to justify raid by showing it was used as a Hamas command center
- Israeli troops who raided Gaza's biggest hospital on Wednesday continued to pore over the grounds on Thursday looking for evidence that Hamas used the area as a secret military base. So far, the Israel Defense Forces have displayed photos of a relatively modest cache of guns, bulletproof vests, and...
House Dems Whisked Out of
DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
Nov 16, 2023 7:24 AM CST
House Dems Whisked Out of DNC HQ Amid Ceasefire Protest
USCP says 6 officers were injured by 'violent' protesters; protesters say police attacked them
- A protest Wednesday outside DC's Democratic National Committee headquarters in favor of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war led to an evacuation of House Democrats sheltered there, as well as violent clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement. US Capitol Police and DC's Metropolitan Police were on the scene...
Nov 15, 2023 8:35 AM CST
National Book Awards Disrupted by Defecting Sponsors
At least 2 won't attend Wednesday's NYC ceremony, amid rumors authors will call for Gaza ceasefire
- The National Book Awards already made headlines earlier this year, when it dropped Drew Barrymore from hosting its annual ceremony due to her resuming her talk show amid the Hollywood strikes. Now, with the event set to take place Wednesday in New York, there's more disruption, this time tied...
Israeli Forces Enter
Nov 14, 2023 7:58 PM CST
Israeli Forces Enter Gaza Hospital
US says intelligence suggests Hamas uses Shifa, other hospitals to support military operation
- Israel says its forces have entered Gaza's Shifa hospital, the site of a lengthy standoff. The Israeli army had surrounded the facility as part of its ground offensive against Hamas, claiming the militant group conceals military operations in the hospital complex. But with hundreds of patients and medical personnel...
White House Says Israel
Has Agreed to 4-Hour Pauses
Nov 9, 2023 11:28 AM CST
White House Says Israel Has Agreed to 4-Hour Pauses
'It's taken a little longer than I hoped,' Biden says
- The White House said Israel has agreed to put in place four-hour daily humanitarian pauses in its assault on Hamas in northern Gaza starting on Thursday. President Biden had asked Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to institute the daily pauses during a Monday call, the AP reports. National Security Council...
Satellite Images of Gaza
Are Being 'Obscured'
Nov 9, 2023 7:42 AM CST
Satellite Images of Gaza Are Being 'Obscured'
US companies, restricted to selling limited resolution images of Israel, appear to be going further
- Space data companies have begun restricting satellite images of the Gaza Strip as Israel launches a ground assault. In the last month, companies including Planet Labs and Maxar Technologies have shared images allowing news outlets to track the destruction from Israeli airstrikes across Gaza. But "after a
Cut Off North Gaza
Nov 6, 2023 2:24 PM CST
Israeli Forces Cut Off North Gaza
Palestinian authorities say death toll is over 10K
- The Israeli army severed northern Gaza from the rest of the besieged territory and pounded it with airstrikes Monday, preparing for expected ground battles with Hamas militants in Gaza's largest city and an even bloodier phase of the month-old war. Casualties are likely to rise sharply as the war...
Family of Girl
by Hamas Now
Nov 6, 2023 7:58 AM CST
Family of Girl Thought Killed by Hamas Now Has Hope
Family told by Israeli officials that Emily Hand, 8, may be alive, being held hostage in Gaza
- When Tom Hand first got the news after Hamas' Oct. 7 attack on Israel that his 8-year-old daughter, Emily, was among those who'd been killed, he said he actually felt relief. "Death was a blessing," the Irish citizen told CNN at the time in an emotional interview...
Israeli 'Concept Paper'
on Gaza's 2.3M
People Worries Egypt
Nov 5, 2023 5:03 AM CST
Israeli 'Concept Paper' on Gaza's 2.3M People Worries Egypt
Report deemed a hypothetical by Netanyahu proposes moving Palestinians to Egypt's Sinai
- An Israeli government ministry has drafted a wartime proposal to transfer the Gaza Strip's 2.3 million people to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, drawing condemnation from Palestinians and worsening tensions with Cairo. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office played down the report compiled by the Intelligence Ministry as a...
'An Entire Population
Nov 4, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
'An Entire Population Is Traumatized'
UN chief decries 'horrific' situation in Gaza; Israeli airstrike hits home of exiled Hamas leader
- Israel's military hit the family home of the exiled leader of Hamas on the outskirts of Gaza City with an airstrike on Saturday and pressed ahead with attacks across the besieged enclave, where a humanitarian crisis is rapidly worsening. With food, water, and the fuel needed for generators that...
Nov 3, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
74 More US Citizens Leave Gaza
Americans with dual citizenship are the latest to leave
- President Biden said Thursday that 74 US citizens with dual citizenship have left the Gaza Strip, announcing the development as he dispatched his top diplomat to the Middle East for consultation with Israeli and Jordanian leaders concerning the Israel-Hamas war, the AP reports. "We got out today 74 American...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.