Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Glacier Ice Melted,
Another Grisly Find
Jul 29, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
As Glacier Ice Melted, Another Grisly Find
Cops say body found near Matterhorn is German mountaineer who went missing 37 years ago
- DNA tests have confirmed that the body recently found on a glacier southeast of the famed Matterhorn peak is that of a German mountaineer who disappeared 37 years ago, police in southwestern Switzerland said Thursday. Increasing glacier melt, which many scientists blame on global warming, has spurred a recent increase...
in 1999 Deaths
of Teenage Girls
Jun 15, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Killer Receives Life Sentence in 1999 Deaths of Teenage Girls
DNA testing tied Coley McCraney to the slayings
- An Alabama judge sentenced a man to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on Thursday, bringing a close to the case of the slayings of two teenage girls in 1999. Coley McCraney was convicted of capital murder in April by a jury that decided the sentence, which the judge was...
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA
Test Made Things Worse
Jun 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA Test Made Things Worse
New evidence implicates him in another murder he'd been acquitted of 25 years ago
- DNA evidence has increasingly been used to help free persons wrongly convicted of crimes they didn't commit. In a three-decade-old case out of Florida, however, authorities say it did just the opposite and proved that a man acquitted of murder was actually the killer all along. Per the
Often Give Up
Not Like This One
Feb 19, 2022 5:30 PM CST
DNA Tests Often Give Up Family Secrets. Not Like This One
Jaclyn Peiser reveals what the children born to Anne Bryntwick discovered
- Mike Mitchell, who died in 1991, raised eight children with his wife. One of them, David, was born in Montreal on March 15, 1954. More than 60 years later, David learned a girl born in the same city on the very same day was also Mike Mitchell's child. In...
To Arrest a
in case you missed it
Aug 22, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
To Arrest a Murder Suspect, All Detectives Wore Levi's
1981 murder victim had worked for Levi Strauss
- Michael Glazebrook, accused of killing his neighbor in Monterey County, Calif., in 1981, escaped his 1983 murder trial scot-free when the jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict and the district attorney chose to forgo a retrial. Forty years later, a new trial will finally come. Glazebrook was arrested for...
Woman Sues Fertility Doc
for 'Medical Rape'
May 26, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Woman Sues Fertility Doc for 'Medical Rape'
Says he used his own sperm, without permission, to impregnate her
- Another heartbreaking story of an allegedly unethical fertility doctor: In New Jersey, Bianca Voss, 75, learned last year that her daughter Roberta's father was, allegedly, the very OB-GYN who was supposed to have artificially inseminated her using sperm from an anonymous donor almost four decades ago. The bombshell came...
They Kept a Vow Not to Talk for
51 Years. Then They Married
Mar 16, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
They Kept a Vow Not to Talk for 51 Years. Then They Married
Biological daughter who was put up for adoption played a role
- It's not often a person can say they introduced their parents, but that's sort of true for Arkansas' Laura Mabry. Mabry, who was adopted as an infant in 1968, took a DNA test in 2019 that connected her with her birth mother, Donna Horn. During text and email...
DNA Test Led
to Her Birth Father,
and a Grim Accusation
Mar 8, 2021 3:32 PM CST
DNA Test Led to Her Birth Father, and a Grim Accusation
William Bradford Bishop, Jr. allegedly murdered his wife, mother, and three children
- Of all the secrets revealed by at-home DNA tests, Kathy Gillcrist's has to be one of the more extreme. The 63-year-old was adopted and quickly connected with her first known family member after taking a 23andMe DNA test in 2017: a third cousin named Susan Gillmor. As luck would...
BFFs Make Startling Discovery
After Taking DNA Tests
in case you missed it
Mar 7, 2021 11:31 AM CST
BFFs Make Startling Discovery After Taking DNA Tests
Cassandra Madison and Julia Tinetti of Connecticut find out they're actually sisters
- There are scatterings of stories about long-lost siblings meeting after completing DNA testing kits. But one such story is especially amazing because, as the
reports, the two women who discovered they were sisters were already great friends. Cassandra Madison and Julia Tinetti developed a close relationship while working...
He Was a Fertility
but He Had a
Dec 2, 2020 3:20 AM CST
He Was a Fertility Miracle Worker, but He Had a Big Secret
HBO delves into the case of Quincy Fortier in 'Baby God'
- Quincy Fortier was never charged with any crimes and never lost his medical license, but hushed-up accusations long swirled around him—and since his death in 2006, it has become increasingly clear that the onetime "Doctor of the Year" in Nevada is actually one of several OB-GYNs accused of...
Grandson of Harding and
His Lover Wants Body Exhumed
Sep 13, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Grandson of Harding and His Lover Wants Body Exhumed
James Blaesing makes his case in Ohio
- The grandson of US President Warren G. Harding and his lover, Nan Britton, went to court in an effort to get the Republican's remains exhumed from the presidential memorial where they have lain since 1927, the AP reports. James Blaesing told an Ohio court that he is seeking Harding’...
DNA Slavery Study
Jul 24, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
DNA Slavery Study Yields Surprises
More enslaved people came to the US from Nigeria than previously thought, researchers say
- Using historical records has been the most traditional way to shed light on the dark stain of slavery in the United States. Now, per new research that the
calls "the largest DNA study to examine African ancestry in the Americas," gene analysis is helping put more pieces...
Man Thinks He's the Boy Who's
Been Missing for 25 Years
in case you missed it
Dec 15, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Man Thinks He's the Boy Who's Been Missing for 25 Years
Mother hasn't said whether she'll take a DNA test
- Twenty-five years ago this week, a woman told police her 4-year-old son had disappeared while they were shopping at a mall in a Detroit suburb. The child was never found. Now, WDIV reports, a man who says he believes he's that boy has given a DNA sample to police...
Cops Say They've IDed a Serial
Killer—but There's a Twist
Sep 19, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Cops Say They've IDed a Serial Killer—but There's a Twist
Suspect can't be charged in South Korea murders as statute of limitations has run out
- For years, a serial killer terrorized Hwaseong, a city south of Seoul in South Korea, leaving police stymied. Decades later, authorities say they've finally identified the man who murdered at least three of the 10 victims who were killed between 1986 and 1991 in what is called "the...
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents
Brings Devastating Surprise
Aug 9, 2019 1:46 PM CDT
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents Brings Devastating Surprise
Rebecca Cartellone, conceived via IVF, finds out dad isn't biological father due to apparent clinic mix-up
- A 24-year-old Ohio woman who thought an Ancestry.com kit would make a great Christmas gift for her parents is now wracked with guilt, and her family thrown into turmoil, after the DNA test revealed her dad isn't her biological father. Per the
New York Daily News
, the family...
2 Fla. Cops Sent In
Their DNA. Turns Out
Aug 7, 2019 11:25 AM CDT
2 Fla. Cops Sent In Their DNA. Turns Out They're Brothers
Neither officer had any idea of the other's existence before 23andMe informed them
- Two police officers who live and work hours apart in Florida each submitted DNA swabs to 23andMe—and ended up discovering that they're brothers. Sgt. David Stull, 51, with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, sent an email to Eric Reynolds, 49, of the Boynton Beach Police Department explaining...
Body of 'Miss Molly'
Exhumed in Kansas
Aug 1, 2019 6:16 AM CDT
Body of 'Miss Molly' Exhumed in Kansas
Police hope DNA will finally ID woman found dead in 1986
- Police in Kansas have exhumed the body of a woman killed more than 30 years ago in the hope of arriving at her real name. The partially clothed body of the woman nicknamed " Miss Molly " was found face-down in a creek along Interstate 70 in rural Saline County...
Librarian Helps Solve Case
of the Bear Brook Murders
Jun 7, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Librarian Helps Solve Case of the Bear Brook Murders
Woman, children were found in metal drums in New Hampshire in 1985, 2000
- Advances in DNA technology have helped identify serial killers—and, in this case, their victims. Police in New Hampshire say they have identified three of the four victims in a decades-old cold case, CNN reports. In what became known as the Bear Brook murders, the bodies of a woman and...
Baby Abandoned at Airport
in 1986 Tracks Down Father
in case you missed it
May 18, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Baby Abandoned at Airport in 1986 Tracks Down Father
Steven Hydes also found his birth mother, but there's some sad news with that
- "Gatwick Gary" has found his biological parents. It's the end of what the
New York Daily News
calls a "long and emotional journey" for 33-year-old Steven Hydes, a UK man who was discovered in 1986 as a 10-day-old newborn in the ladies' room at Gatwick Airport near...
Test Must Pay
May 16, 2019 12:57 PM CDT
Ex-King Who Refuses DNA Test Must Pay Daily Fine
Woman is trying to prove that Albert II of Beligum is her father
- Delphine Boël could be in a line for a royal inheritance if a DNA test proves she's the love child of Belgium's former king. Until former King Albert II provides a saliva sample, however, Boël will be getting $5,600 a day anyway. A court in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.