Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-Model Takes Plea
in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Nov 11, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Ex-Model Takes Plea in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Prosecutors say victim Thomas Burchard cut off money he had been giving to Kelsey Turner
- A former model has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal beating of a 71-year-old psychiatrist, reports
. Kelsey Turner, 29, took what's known as an Alford plea in the 2019 slaying of Thomas Burchard, meaning she maintained her innocence while pleading guilty to the murder charge....
Doctor Who First Helped Diana
in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Doctor Who First Helped Diana in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
As 25th anniversary approaches, Frederic Mailliez speaks about the night of the fatal 1997 accident
- The woman was crumpled on the floor of a mangled Mercedes, unconscious and struggling to breathe. The French doctor had no idea who she was and focused on trying to save her. Twenty-five years later, Frederic Mailliez is still marked by what happened in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on...
Doctor Convicted of Abusing
Patients Found Dead at Rikers
Aug 15, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Doctor Convicted of Abusing Patients Found Dead at Rikers
Ricardo Cruciani faced life sentence and another trial next year
- A New York neurologist awaiting sentencing for sexually assaulting his patients was found dead Monday at the Rikers Island jail. A New York City jury had convicted Dr. Ricardo Cruciani of two counts of rape, seven of criminal sexual acts, one of predatory sexual assault, and one of attempted rape,...
Doctor Tied to
Ohio Girl's Abortion
Gets Notice From AG
Jul 27, 2022 11:08 AM CDT
Doctor Tied to Ohio Girl's Abortion Gets Notice From AG
Dr. Caitlin Bernard was informed Tuesday that she is under investigation
- The Indiana doctor who helped a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio abort her pregnancy has received official notice that she is under investigation by Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita. The notice arrived Tuesday, Dr. Caitlin Bernard's lawyer tells CNN and CBS News . "It's unclear to us what...
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist
Letter From OB-GYN
Jul 16, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist Letter From OB-GYN
Warning sent by attorney for Dr. Caitlin Bernard, who performed abortion on 10-year-old rape victim
- The doctor at the center of a story about a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who had to travel to Indiana in order to get an abortion has sent the Indiana state attorney general a cease-and-desist letter, for remarks that the doctor's lawyer is calling defamatory. "Please immediately...
Hitler Feared Getting Sick,
per Newly Revealed Letters
Jun 6, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Hitler Feared Getting Sick, per Newly Revealed Letters
'If there is something bad, I absolutely have to know,' Nazi dictator said to doctor
- Screaming at Nazi rallies apparently does a number on your voice, and it seems to have spurred Adolf Hitler to see an ear, throat, and nose specialist for at least a decade. Now, details on letters written by that doctor about the World War II-era dictator have been released. Per...
Doctor Who Hawked COVID
'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
May 31, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Doctor Who Hawked COVID 'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
Jennings Ryan Staley of San Diego sentenced to 30 days over hydroxychloroquine scheme
- In the early days of the pandemic, a San Diego doctor offered a beacon of hope—more specifically what he called a "miracle cure" for COVID. Now, however, Dr. Jennings Ryan Staley is going to prison for 30 days over his purported remedy , reports Fox 5 . Staley attempted to...
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't
Take No for an Answer'
Feb 22, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't Take No for an Answer'
Partners in Health co-founder Paul Farmer, who helped impoverished people worldwide, dies at 62
- Dr. Paul Farmer, a US physician, humanitarian, and author renowned for providing health care to millions of impoverished people worldwide, and who co-founded the global nonprofit Partners in Health, has died. He was 62. The Boston-based organization confirmed Farmer's death on Monday, calling it "devastating" and noting he...
Plastic Surgeon Charged
After Young Patient's Death
Feb 18, 2022 11:59 AM CST
Plastic Surgeon Charged After Young Patient's Death
Emmalyn Nguyen suffered cardiac arrest during surgery, died 14 months later
A plastic surgeon has been arrested in Colorado after an 18-year-old patient died following breast augmentation surgery. Emmalyn Nguyen died 14 months after the August 2019 surgery left her in a vegetative state. After a "lengthy criminal investigation," the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said it issued...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
These Are the Jobs Your
Partner Wishes You Had
Aug 19, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
These Are the Jobs Your Partner Wishes You Had
Zippia lists most, least attractive jobs for a partner from the perspective of men and women
- Working in health care probably doesn't feel all that sexy during a pandemic. But it does look that way in a new survey. Zippia asked 1,000 workers about what common jobs they thought were most attractive for a romantic partner out of a list of 250, and the...
Doctor to Unvaccinated:
Find Another Physican
Aug 19, 2021 11:57 AM CDT
Doctor to Unvaccinated: Find Another Physican
Alabama's Jason Valentine works in the state with lowest vaccination rate
- An Alabama doctor sick of seeing unvaccinated people die of COVID-19 says he will soon turn them away. Dr. Jason Valentine, a physician at Diagnostic and Medical Clinic Infirmary Health in Mobile, this week shared a photo of himself posing next to a sign in his office that explains, as...
Aug 11, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Woman Allegedly Failed Exam, Faked Being a Doctor
27-year-old was 'immediately' relieved of her duties at Sydney hospital on Monday
- It's not quite as extreme as this man who famously faked being a doctor (among other things), but it's close. An Australian woman is accused of working at Sydney's Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital as a junior doctor for 7 months—though she reportedly was no doctor. 7 News reports...
In Sperm Donor
Jul 31, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Sperm Donor 'Case Without Precedent,' a $10.7M Deal
Fertility doc accused of impregnating women with his own sperm agrees to settlement
- A Canadian fertility doctor who lost his medical license in 2019 after being accused of impregnating multiple women with the wrong sperm—sometimes his own—has now agreed to fork over millions in a "groundbreaking" settlement. The
reports that the $10.7 million offer from Norman Barwin...
Doctor Who Died
of COVID Leaves
Behind 'Paper Babies'
May 21, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
Doctor Who Died of COVID Leaves Behind 'Paper Babies' Worth $20M
Thomas Newman's sports card and memorabilia collection is set to go to auction
- During his life, neurologist Thomas Newman enjoyed playing golf, spending time with his family, and acquiring some of the rarest and most valuable sports cards on Earth. Sadly, the doctor from Tampa, Fla., died of COVID in January at the age of 73, his wife, Nancy, tells CNN , but he...
Stole Vial of
for Personal Use
Jan 22, 2021 7:04 AM CST
DA: Doctor Stole Vial of COVID Vaccine for Personal Use
Texas health officials say Dr. Hasan Gokal gave doses to friends, family
- Plenty of people want to make sure their loved ones get vaccinated against COVID-19, but one Texas doctor may have gone too far. The
Dallas Morning News
reports that 48-year-old Dr. Hasan Gokal is now out of a job and facing criminal charges after he allegedly swiped a vial of...
to Black Doctor's
Jan 1, 2021 12:30 PM CST
Critics: Hospital CEO's Response to Black Doctor's Death 'Ridiculous'
Dennis Murphy cites a 'complex picture' leading to death of Dr. Susan Moore, but others push back
- The head of an Indiana hospital has addressed the allegations of Dr. Susan Moore, a Black medical doctor who died last month from coronavirus complications after accusing a doctor and other hospital staff of being biased in their treatment of her—but his comments have only fueled the controversy. In...
Got Me Fired
Dec 12, 2020 5:10 PM CST
ER Doctor: My Honesty About COVID Got Me Fired
Cleavon Gilman tweeted about what he saw in Arizona
- An Arizona ER doctor says he got fired after tweeting his frustration over hospital conditions amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the
reports. "Just got to work and was notified there are no more ICU beds in the state of Arizona," Cleavon Gilman tweeted in November about the Yuma...
'Hottest Doctor' Gets in
Hot Water Over Party Pics
Nov 27, 2020 5:06 PM CST
'Hottest Doctor' Gets in Hot Water Over Party Pics
Mikhail Varshavski has urged the public to wear face coverings during the pandemic
- The "hottest doctor" on Instagram might have a little explaining to do. Mikhail Varshavski, also known as Dr. Mike, was caught maskless on a party boat with bikini-clad women—after months of urging people to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic, the
New York Post
reports. Photos published by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.