Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Manchin: Another Trump Win
Could Destroy Democracy
Nov 16, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Manchin: Another Trump Win Could Destroy Democracy
Senator says he'd 'absolutely' consider a presidential run
- Joe Manchin made his latest comments on the 2024 presidential election Wednesday on NBC News'
Meet the Press
, though as usual, he qualified them quite a bit. "I will do anything I can to help my country, and you're saying, 'Does that mean you would consider it?'...
Exits the Senate,
WH Buzz Begins
Nov 10, 2023 9:59 AM CST
As Manchin Exits the Senate, WH Buzz Begins
Conservative Dem could draw 'double haters' of Biden, Trump if he runs for president
- Joe Manchin's announcement Thursday that he won't be running for reelection next year to represent West Virginia in the US Senate has Democrats now sweating over the loss of one of their own seats, putting the party's razor-thin 51-49 majority in peril. Now, new buzz is swirling...
Joe Manchin Won't
Seek Reelection to Senate
Nov 9, 2023 2:09 PM CST
Joe Manchin Won't Seek Reelection to Senate
It's bad news for Democrats, who will likely lose the seat to a Republican
- Joe Manchin just delivered bad news to Senate Democrats: The West Virginia senator announced Thursday that he will not run for reelection in 2024, reports Politico . The decision means his Democratic seat will almost certainly go to a Republican in the deep-red state, according to both Politico and the Hill...
Here's Who Should
Run for President
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 4, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Schwarzenegger: Here's Who Should Run for President
His pick for the White House is not a presidential candidate at the moment
- Who is Arnold Schwarzenegger currently liking as the next US president? Someone who's not actually running for president, though he's left the door open for that to change. "Joe Manchin is one of them that I think stands out because he's kind of like a center...
Biden Drilling Deal Pleases Few
Sep 29, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Biden Drilling Deal Pleases Few
Interior to allow three offshore oil lease sales through 2029, a sharp reduction
- The Biden administration is steering a middle path on offshore oil lease sales, a decision that displeases the industry and its Republican supporters as well as environmental advocates who say the president is breaking a campaign promise. The Interior Department on Friday announced three offshore oil lease sales through 2029,...
Manchin Gets His
Senate Dress Code Back
Sep 28, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Manchin Gets His Senate Dress Code Back
Bipartisan bill formalizing dress code passes unanimously
- The Senate dress code has now come full circle, from an unwritten expectation to completely nonexistent to a formal rule. Following Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's controversial decision to tell the Senate's Sergeant at Arms to stop enforcing the then-informal dress code, Sens. Joe Manchin and Mitt Romney...
Aug 11, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Manchin Thinking 'Very Seriously' About Switching Party Affiliation
He 'absolutely' might become an independent, senator says
- All eyes turned to Sen. Joe Manchin last year after his fellow centrist in the congressional body, Arizona's Kyrsten Sinema, switched her party affiliation from Democrat to independent. At the time, Manchin said he had no plans to make a change , but time has passed since then and the...
Manchin, at No Labels
Event, Won't Rule Out
Third-Party 2024 Bid
Jul 18, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Manchin, at No Labels Event, Won't Rule Out Third-Party 2024 Bid
If he does run, senator says, he won't be a 'spoiler'
- Joe Manchin, speaking at an event for the No Labels nonprofit Monday in New Hampshire, offered up the latest fodder for the will-he-or-won't-he discussion around the senator and the 2024 presidential race. No Labels, which is starting to worry Democrats who think it could hand the election to Donald...
Gov. Jim Justice
Apr 28, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice Running for Manchin's Seat
Manchin has not yet announced whether he will run for reelection
- West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice announced Thursday that he is running for Democrat Joe Manchin’s US Senate seat in 2024, setting up what could be a hard-fought campaign between two of the state’s most prominent politicians, the AP reports. Justice, an ultrawealthy businessman who is barred from...
Apr 15, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
A Biden Nomination Is Looking Shaky
Joe Manchin opposition jeopardizes Julie Su's nomination to be labor secretary
- President Biden's choice to be the next labor secretary is running up against some tough math. All 49 Republicans plan to oppose Julie Su, reports Axios . And now Democrat Joe Manchin has told the White House he has strong concerns, per the
. That means Biden can't...
Mar 6, 2023 6:39 AM CST
Manchin Passes on Chance to Endorse Biden
Senator also isn't ruling out a 2024 run himself
- Last weekend, Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin declined to say whether he identified as a Democrat. This weekend, he declined to endorse President Biden, at least for now. "Let's see who all the players are," he responded when asked the question on CBS'
Face the Nation
. And apparently,...
'Do You Still
Feb 27, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Do You Still Identify as a Democrat?' Manchin Dodges
'I identify as an American,' the West Virginia Democrat says instead
- It was a simple enough question. But Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin's response—or non-response—during an appearance over the weekend on Fox News is raising some eyebrows. The exchange, per
Fox's Maria Bartiromo:
"Do you still identify as a Democrat?"
"I identify as
Democrats May Have to
Deal With GOP on Debt Ceiling
Jan 23, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Democrats May Have to Deal With GOP on Debt Ceiling
Manchin says he has no interest in going with Republicans on Social Security cut
- The White House hasn't budged on negotiating with congressional Republicans over the debt ceiling—it's a "no"—but political professionals in both parties suggest talks will take place anyway. "Like the president has said many times, raising the debt ceiling is not a negotiation; it...
Eyes Turn to
Dec 13, 2022 1:40 AM CST
After Sinema Defection, All Eyes Turn to Joe Manchin
West Virginia Senator says he's staying a Democrat for 'right now'
- After Kyrsten Sinema announced she's leaving the Democratic Party, some wondered whether her fellow centrist senator, Joe Manchin, had any similar plans. And while the West Virginia lawmaker won't say
, he did tell reporters Monday, "I'll look at all of these things. I've always looked all...
Manchin Drops Changes
on Energy Permitting
Sep 28, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Manchin Drops Changes on Energy Permitting
Schumer says the proposal could come up again
: Facing opposition from both parties, Sen. Joe Manchin abandoned his provision to streamline and speed up the permitting process for energy projects. With that wording dropped, a stopgap spending bill to keep the federal government operating was moved along by the Senate on Tuesday, the
Wall Street Journal
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 28, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
After Manchin Surprise, All Eyes on Sinema
Arizona senator is still mum on potential breakthrough for Democrats
- Joe Manchin stunned DC Wednesday by announcing that he had reversed himself and would back Democrats' sweeping spending plan after all. The surprise deal the West Virginia senator struck with Sen. Chuck Schumer has provided Democrats with their "best news" in weeks, notes Politico , because it means the party...
Jul 27, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Manchin Unblocks Biden's Domestic Agenda
Holdout's deal with Schumer covers climate change provisions
- Sen. Joe Manchin reached agreement with Senate Democratic leaders to support President Biden's domestic spending plan, legislation addressing health care costs, climate change, and other priorities. The deal reverses Manchin's position of two weeks ago, when he said he couldn't commit to the bill before economic data...
Joe Manchin Has COVID
Jul 25, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Has COVID
Democrat's absence will complicate Senate votes
- Sen. Joe Manchin has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the West Virginia lawmaker tweeted Monday. The 74-year-old Democrat said he's fully vaccinated and boosted. "I will isolate and follow CDC guidelines as I continue to work remotely to serve West Virginians," he said....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.