Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and current events about Florida on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris
May Have Solved a Cold Case
Oct 2, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Officials think remains in Florida river were those of Alabama's James Aaron Toole, who vanished in '95
- Twenty-eight years ago, an Alabama father set out on a road trip to Florida, never to be seen again. Now, a cleanup crew clearing debris from August's Hurricane Idalia may have solved the missing-persons cold case of James Aaron Toole, after stumbling upon human remains in a Chevy Cavalier...
Bitten 41 Times
by Rabid Otter
in case you missed it
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Otter also attacked dog before being captured
- A Florida man was feeding ducks and geese at a pond near his yard when suddenly all the birds flew away. Joseph Scaglione was confused, seeing no hawk in the area, but then he noticed an otter in the pond. He backed away toward the gate to his yard, but...
She Was Hunting With Her
Dad When the Lightning Hit
Sep 29, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
She Was Hunting With Her Dad When the Lightning Hit
Baylee Holbrook, 16, dies after Tuesday lightning strike in Putnam County, Florida
- A sad update out of Florida on a teen struck by lightning earlier this week while hunting deer with her dad: Baylee Holbrook has succumbed to her injuries. Officials tell CBS News that the 16-year-old died Thursday morning, just two days after she and her father were both hit after...
Cops Seek Former Friend in
Woman's 1995 Cold Case
Sep 26, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Cops Seek Former Friend in Woman's 1995 Cold Case
'Finding Carlos is of critical importance' to solving Maria Telles-Gonzalez's killing, authorities say
- A woman's body was found in a drainage ditch off Interstate 95 in Yemassee, South Carolina, on May 24, 1995. She was wearing only underwear and had no possessions. Apart from a couple of scars, there were no identifiers. As a result, it took authorities more than 27 years...
Family in 'Unbearable Pain'
After Mother Found
in Gator's Jaws
Sep 25, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Daughter says Sabrina Peckham was homeless
- The daughter of a Florida woman found dead in an alligator's jaws says the family is going through "grief and sorrow and unbearable pain." In a Facebook post, Breauna Dorris said her mother, 41-year-old Sabrina Peckham, was part of the homeless population in a wooded area near...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
Cops Drew Their Guns. They
Didn't Expect What Came Next
Sep 23, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Runaway 10-year-old boy, 11-year-old sister drove 200 miles in mom's car before they were busted
- Cops say two Florida tweens said to be upset about a punishment handed down by their mom decided to run away—by taking their mom's car and trying to drive to California. Per the AP , the Alachua County Sheriff's Office became involved when deputies pulled over a sedan...
Privately Owned Rail Line
Begins Key Test in Florida
Sep 21, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Privately Owned Rail Line Begins Key Test in Florida
Brightline launching high-speed service between Miami and Orlando
- The first big test of whether a privately owned high-speed passenger train service can prosper in the United States will launch Friday when Florida's Brightline begins running trains between Miami and Orlando that reach speeds of 125mph. It's a $5 billion bet that Brightline's owner, Fortress Investment...
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's
Son Over Tree Trimming
Sep 20, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
Edward Druzolowski, 78, has been charged with 2nd-degree murder in death of Brian Ford
- A Florida man allegedly shot his neighbor's son Sunday after the two argued over tree trimming along a shared fence line. The Volusia Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post that Brian Ford, 42, was trimming tree limbs along the fence line between 1880 and 1890 Alameda Drive...
Amazon Driver Dropped
the Box. The Snake Struck
Sep 20, 2023 11:41 AM CDT
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
She was bitten on the back of her leg while delivering a package
- An Amazon driver encountered something worse than a porch pirate on Monday. As Monet Robinson was delivering a package to a home in Palm City, Florida, she was bitten in the back of her leg, just above the knee, by an eastern diamondback rattlesnake that had been coiled by the...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
Don't Get New
Sep 14, 2023 2:39 AM CDT
DeSantis to Floridians: Don't Get New COVID Vaccine
Florida governor and surgeon general warn against the new shot
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's top health department official are directly contradicting federal health recommendations and warning residents against getting a new COVID-19 booster , saying there's not enough evidence it provides benefits that outweigh risks, the AP reports. DeSantis, who is running for president, and Florida...
Boy Saves Drowning Man
With CPR Learned 'on TV'
Sep 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Boy Saves Drowning Man With CPR Learned 'on TV'
12-year-old Austen MacMillan of Florida credited with saving the life of his behavioral therapist
- Twelve-year-old Austen MacMillan was swimming with his behavioral therapist in a backyard pool when the therapist decided to see how long he could hold his breath underwater. He didn't come back up. "It was like [five to six] minutes he was under the water and I was like,...
At DeSantis' Behest, Colleges
Add Untested Admissions Exam
Sep 10, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
At DeSantis' Behest, Colleges Add Untested Admissions Exam
Classic Learning Test has mostly been accepted by private schools
- Florida's state university system has endorsed accepting the results of the little-known Classic Learning Test in its undergraduate admissions process, a step in Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' efforts to change public education at all levels. The test becomes an alternative to the long-accepted SAT and ACT, the
Man Who Keeps Trying to 'Run'
Across the Ocean Is Arrested
Sep 6, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Man Who Keeps Trying to 'Run' Across the Ocean Is Arrested
Is there nothing a Florida man won't do?
- The US Coast Guard has arrested a Florida man who was attempting to "run" across the Atlantic Ocean in a large hamster wheel. Marathon runner Reza Baluchi was found about 70 nautical miles east of Georgia's Tybee Island on Aug. 26 in what officials described as a "...
Cruise Ship Returns
Minus a Passenger
Sep 6, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Returns Minus a Passenger
Kevin McGrath last seen around 2am Monday aboard Carnival Conquest, bound for Miami
- A 26-year-old man has been reported missing after his Carnival cruise ship returned to Florida, apparently without him. Kevin McGrath left Miami aboard Carnival Conquest on Friday for a Labor Day weekend cruise to Bimini, in the Bahamas. However, McGrath wasn't accounted for when the ship returned to Miami...
After Steel Beam
Falls on His Head
Sep 6, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
Ex-NFLer Dies After Steel Beam Falls on His Head
Construction accident fells Mike Williams, formerly of the Buccaneers and Bills
- Mike Williams, a former NFL wide receiver who was named a finalist for offensive rookie of the year in 2010, has died in a construction accident. The 36-year-old, a fourth-round pick out of Syracuse who played four seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and a fifth with his hometown Buffalo...
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
Sep 5, 2023 4:08 PM CDT
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
The Sunshine State is well represented in the top 10, while the Golden State dominates the bottom
- Those lucky enough to be looking to retire might also be looking for the best places in which to do so—and maybe save a coin or two by relocating to a new location. WalletHub notes that the average age of American retirement has stretched from 60 in 1995 to...
Alabama's Congressional Map
Is Again Rejected, With Scolding
Sep 5, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
Alabama's Congressional Map Is Again Rejected, With Scolding
Latest redistricting doesn't comply with court order on racial makeup, panel says
- Federal judges threw out Alabama's newest attempt to redraw its congressional districts on Tuesday, chastising the state for not complying with the Voting Rights Act as mandated by a court order. The plan approved by the legislature provides for a single district that has, barely, a Black majority, the...
Hold March as
Sep 3, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
Hate Groups Hold March as Florida Braces for More
Demonstration near Orlando draws small crowd and is denounced by lawmaker
- Hate groups marched outside Orlando on Saturday, shouting, "We are everywhere!" in a video posted by a Florida state representative. Democratic Rep. Anna V. Eskamani denounced the demonstration and called it "another example of the far right extremism growing" in the state. The Anti-Defamation League's Center...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
In Rare Move, Thomas Recuses Himself From Case
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Supreme Court Rejects Attempt to Disqualify Trump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.