Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fake Priest Just
Cost It $140K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 24, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Restaurant's Fake Priest Just Cost It $140K
California eatery had workers confess their 'sins' in 'most shameless' plot to intimidate them, per DOL
- It may have seemed a bit unconventional for a priest to show up at their place of employment to offer confession, but workers at the Taqueria Garibaldi restaurant in Sacramento took the holy man up on the chance to admit their "sins." Now, the owners of the Northern...
100-Plus Homes Were
Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Jun 19, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
100-Plus Homes Were Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Edward Wackerman, 71, is suspected of setting devastating blaze in Mariposa County, California
- An elderly man who lives near Yosemite National Park has been arrested after a forest fire there last year destroyed more than 125 homes. The AP reports that Edward Wackerman of Mariposa was taken into custody Friday, suspected of setting last summer's Oak Fire that burned nearly 20,000...
Cops: 'Extremely Fast' Car
Makes Extremely Odd Landing
Apr 20, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
Cops: 'Extremely Fast' Car Makes Extremely Odd Landing
Authorities are trying to figure out how vehicle made its way onto roof of California home
- A speeding car took flight Sunday and ended up on the second-story roof of a home in Northern California. The story "would seem unbelievable if not for the photo evidence backing it up," per SFGate . Photos shared by authorities show the vehicle resting on the roof of a...
Strong California Quake
Leaves 70K Without Power
Dec 21, 2022 12:47 AM CST
Strong California Quake Leaves 70K Without Power
2 dead after 6.4 temblor
- At least two people died Tuesday after a magnitude 6.4 earthquake hit California's Humboldt County. At least 12 others were injured, CNN reports. Residents were describing the quake as particularly violent, the
Los Angeles Times
reports: "It was the most intense earthquake that I’ve felt,”...
Gas Station Manager Who
Set Price at 69 Cents Fired
Jun 16, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Gas Station Manager Who Set Price at 69 Cents Fired
Mistake cost the gas station $16K
The manager who accidentally rolled gas prices
back at a Northern California gas station has been fired. "I just took responsibility for it and I said ‘yeah it’s my fault, and I’m to blame,'" John Szczecina tells CBS Sacramento of the misplaced...
Oct 25, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Storm Threatens 'Historic Rain'
Mud flows could be a problem after fires in Northern California
- A powerful storm roared ashore Sunday in Northern California, flooding highways, toppling trees, and causing mud flows in areas burned bare by recent fires as forecasters predict record-breaking rainfall. Drenching rain and strong winds accompanied the arrival of an atmospheric river—a long and wide plume of moisture pulled in...
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet
Oct 23, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet 'Atmospheric River'
2 big weather events set to converge Saturday into Sunday on West Coast, and it likely won't be pretty
As if California didn't have enough to not look forward to this weekend, warnings of a potentially rare "atmospheric river" are now being joined by ones for a hurricane-strength "bomb cyclone," which takes place when a low-pressure system's central pressure plummets 24 millibars or...
Guy Blames Starbucks for
'Awkward and Painful' Sex
Sep 18, 2020 10:51 AM CDT
Guy Blames Starbucks for 'Awkward and Painful' Sex
Calif. man sues chain, claims hot tea spilled all over his genitals at drive-thru and disfigured them
- A young dad has filed suit against Starbucks after he says hot tea he ordered in a California drive-thru spilled all over him and scalded his genitals. Per the
, the complaint by Tommy Piluyev against the coffee chain and Pactiv Packaging, the company that makes Starbucks' cups and...
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
May 10, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
26-year-old man was within 100 yards of shore at Manresa State Beach
- A surfer was killed in a shark attack off a Northern California beach, state park officials said Saturday. The 26-year-old man was surfing off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay around 1:30pm when he was attacked by an unknown shark species, the California State Parks...
Players, Coaches Lost Their
Homes. Now, a Championship
Nov 30, 2019 1:30 PM CST
Players, Coaches Lost Their Homes. Now, a Championship
Meet the inspired players at Paradise High School
- A Northern California high school football team will play for a championship Saturday one year after most of the players and coaches lost their homes to a wildfire that nearly destroyed their town, the AP reports. Paradise High School will face Sutter Union High School for the Northern Section Division...
PG&E Warns of 'Extreme
Measure' Amid High Winds
Oct 26, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
PG&E Warns of 'Extreme Measure' Amid High Winds
Utility may be shutting off power to 2 million people in Northern California on Saturday night
- More than 2 million people in Northern California may be without power Saturday night in a planned blackout meant to fend off wildfires. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that this anticipated move by Pacific Gas and Electric, which would affect 36 counties, is due to high winds forecast for the...
Skydiving Accident Takes
Life of 28-Year-Old Woman
Sep 27, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Skydiving Accident Takes Life of 28-Year-Old Woman
She hit a big rig on a highway
- As a group of seven skydivers descended near California's Lodi Airport on Thursday afternoon, something went terribly wrong. A 28-year-old woman died after she was apparently blown off course amid windy conditions that affected her open parachute, reports the
. She hit a big rig on a highway...
Cops Thought They
Killed Garlic Fest
Aug 3, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Cops Thought They Killed Garlic Fest Gunman. Coroner Says Otherwise
Santino William Legan took his own life, medical examiner finds
- The gunman who killed three young people at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California on Sunday wasn't killed by police, as originally reported. That from the Santa Clara County medical examiner, who now says that 19-year-old Santino William Legan killed himself, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Legan died...
Will Cost PG&E $1B
Jun 19, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
Wildfires That Charred California Will Cost PG&E $1B
Settlement is to cover 'taxpayer losses' from wildfires stretching back to 2015
- More than a dozen local governments and other public entities in Northern California will soon share a $1 billion payment from the public utility that's blamed for three years' worth of wildfires there. KCRA and NPR report the settlement from Pacific Gas and Electric was announced Tuesday, with the...
Catastrophic Cali Fire
Is Finally Contained
Nov 25, 2018 12:45 PM CST
Catastrophic Cali Fire Is Finally Contained
The Camp fire is surrounded by firefighters
- A massive wildfire that killed dozens of people and destroyed thousands of homes in Northern California has been fully contained after burning for more than two weeks, authorities said Sunday, the AP reports. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says the Camp fire had been surrounded by firefighters...
Smell of Smoke From Fires
in Bay Area 'Overwhelming'
Nov 9, 2018 12:54 PM CST
Smell of Smoke From Fires in Bay Area 'Overwhelming'
An unhealthy air quality alert has been issued, 40K people displaced; SoCal dealing with its own fires
- Authorities have issued an unhealthy air quality alert for parts of the San Francisco Bay Area as smoke from a massive wildfire drifts south, polluting the air. Officials say thousands of structures in the town of Paradise, 180 miles northeast of San Francisco, were destroyed by the blaze that has...
Wildfire Is Now Biggest
in California History
Aug 7, 2018 3:26 AM CDT
Wildfire Is Now Biggest in California History
Old record only stood for 7 months
- "We broke the record," Cal Fire Deputy Chief Scott McLean says of the massive Mendocino Complex Fire in Northern California. "That's one of those records you don't want to see." The blaze—made up of the twin Ranch and River fires about 100 miles...
Bay Area Home
With Holes in Roof,
Mildew Sells for $1.23M
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 22, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Bay Area Home With Holes in Roof, Mildew Sells for $1.23M
Fremont home was condemned
- A condemned Northern California house with holes in the roof and mildew in the pipes sold last month for $1.23 million, a price tag that highlights how a housing shortage is fueling skyrocketing home prices in the San Francisco Bay Area. Listing agent Larry Gallegos said Wednesday he received...
Gunman Picking Random
Targets Kills 4, Wounds Kids
Nov 14, 2017 4:05 PM CST
Gunman Picking Random Targets Kills 4, Wounds Kids
Authorities say police killed the shooter
- A gunman choosing targets at random opened fire in a rural Northern California town Tuesday, killing four people at several sites and wounding others at an elementary school before police shot him dead, authorities said. The AP reports the gunfire began around 8am in the community of Rancho Tehama...
'Great Tragedy' in
the Sierra Nevada
May 22, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
'Great Tragedy' in the Sierra Nevada
Snowmobiler finds plane with bodies of couple missing more than a month
- Authorities have discovered the wreckage of a small plane buried in snow in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Northern California and the bodies of a couple missing for more than a month inside it. Sierra County sheriff's officials say a snowmobiler found a piece of the plane's tail...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.