Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Battle for House, Democrats
Keep Chipping Away
Nov 11, 2022 4:45 PM CST
In Battle for House, Democrats Keep Chipping Away
More seats in the West slip away from Republicans, though GOP is still favored
- Republicans were in good shape Friday afternoon in their attempt to take control of the House once all votes are counted, but it's not a lock. Democrats are winning more races and gaining ground in others, a couple of analyses of the election show. Politico and the
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi
Has Been Years in the Making
Oct 29, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi Has Been Years in the Making
House speaker is a regular recipient of Republican rage in ads and on Capitol Hill
- Before the 2010 election marked by the tea party's ascent, the Republican National Committee reworked its website, changing the display to a "Fire Pelosi" theme that depicted the speaker of the House engulfed in flames. Such attacks have been regular parts of GOP campaigns ever since, before the...
Kari Lake Has
Oct 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Has Democrats Worried
If former TV anchor becomes Arizona's governor, her star power in the GOP could grow
- Kari Lake, the Republican nominee for governor in Arizona, concerns Democrats for several reasons. One is that the 2020 election denier might very well win; polls show a close race now. Once in office, Lake could be a danger to the state's 2024 election process, Axios reports. And she'...
Sep 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
GOP Unveils Its Midterm Agenda
McCarthy rolls out Republicans' 'Commitment to America,' focusing on economy, border security
- House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday directly confronted President Biden and the party in power, choosing battleground Pennsylvania to unveil a midterm election agenda with sweeping Trump-like promises, despite the House GOP's sometimes spotty record of delivering and governing in Congress. McCarthy, who's poised to seize the...
A State Lawmaker
Defects From GOP
Aug 23, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
A State Lawmaker Defects From GOP
Colorado's Kevin Priola cites GOP positions on climate change, claims of a stolen election
- On Sunday, Democrats held a 20-15 edge in the Colorado state Senate. On Monday, their advantage rose to 21-14, but not because of a special election. Instead, longtime Republican Kevin Priola switched parties to become a Democrat, reports the
. In a public letter , he cited two main reasons:...
in Senate Races
Aug 19, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
McConnell Worried About 'Candidate Quality' in Senate Races
Minority leader thinks the race for control of the chamber is too close to call
- Historically speaking, the party of the sitting US president loses ground in the midterms , ceding seats in the House or Senate, or both if it's a particularly brutal bloodbath. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding off on proclaiming any kind of premature victory in his own chamber...
Michigan GOP Calls Off
Primary Watch Party
Aug 2, 2022 8:08 PM CDT
Michigan GOP Calls Off Primary Watch Party
Man threatened to shoot, burn party's Lansing headquarters
- The Michigan Republican Party said it canceled a Tuesday evening primary watch party in Lansing after a man came to the party's headquarters and threatened to shoot up the building and burn it down. Lansing police said officers went to the building Tuesday morning in response to a complaint...
State Party Split Over
Trump Ousts Leader
Jul 10, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
State Party Split Over Trump Ousts Leader
Chairman is voted out over complaints state party favored primary candidate
- A divided Republican Party in Nebraska, unable to agree on the party's direction or former President Trump, will try to mend with new leadership. Delegates to the state convention voted to remove Chairman Dan Welch on Saturday, the
reports, and most of the party's other leaders,...
Cheney Calls Trump 'Domestic
Threat' We've Never Dealt With
Jun 30, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Cheney Calls Trump 'Domestic Threat' We've Never Dealt With
Former president's actions were 'more threatening than we could have imagined'
- Donald Trump is "a domestic threat that we have never faced before," Rep. Liz Cheney, vice chair of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, said Wednesday, following damning testimony against the former president, who's reportedly eying a return to power. He's "gone...
Jun 21, 2022 1:12 PM CDT
Gun Group Demands Apology From Cornyn
Organization says it's not a mob, despite senator's post-speech comment
- The boos at the Texas Republican convention weren't the end of it for Sen. John Cornyn. After jeering him as he defended his role in gun control negotiations in Washington in a speech Friday, a pro-gun access group said it felt disrespected, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. The senator...
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is
Violence in the Future'
Jun 20, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is Violence in the Future'
GOP congressman on Jan. 6 select House panel speaks on political lies, says he got death threat
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of two Republicans on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, fears that violence instigated by his own party is on the horizon, and he says he's already been threatened himself. The Illinois congressman sat down Sunday with George...
Wisconsin GOP Decides
on 'No Endorsement' Option
May 21, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Wisconsin GOP Decides on 'No Endorsement' Option
Wisconsin candidates for governor will need 60% of delegates' votes
- Wisconsin Republicans agreed Saturday to have a "no endorsement" option when voting on whether to throw the party's official backing behind a candidate in the hotly contested governor's race. The top candidates in the governor's race were slated to make their pitch later Saturday for an...
Population Influx Shifts
Florida Toward GOP
May 9, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Population Influx Shifts Florida Toward GOP
Its days as a swing state could be numbered
- In 2018, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis and Republican US Sen. Rick Scott were elected in Florida with margins so narrow that both races went to recounts. But Florida's days as a battleground state could be numbered, the Hill reports. The state's population is growing rapidly, and many of...
Poll Shows Republicans
With an Edge Before Midterms
Apr 30, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Poll Shows Republicans With an Edge Before Midterms
Respondents trust GOP to handle inflation over Democrats by 21 points
- For the first time since 2014, voters say they're more likely to vote Republican in the congressional midterm elections, a new poll shows. That snapshot has been meaningful in the past: GOP candidates led by 5 percentage points before the vote eight years ago and went on to win...
Kicked Off Tennessee Ballot
Apr 20, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
Trump-Backed 'Carpetbagger' Kicked Off Tennessee Ballot
Party says Morgan Ortagus didn't meet residency requirement
- The Tennessee Republican Party has voted to kick three candidates off the GOP primary ballot in the state's reconfigured 5th Congressional District—including one supported by Donald Trump. Party officials said the executive committee voted to remove Morgan Ortagus, Baxter Lee, and Robby Starbuck from the August primary ballot...
GOP Pulls Out of Future Debates
Apr 14, 2022 7:08 PM CDT
GOP Pulls Out of Future Debates
Party wants changes in presidential campaign events after Trump complained
- The Republican National Committee had been warning for months about no longer participating in the presidential debates organized by the commission that's held them since 1988. Spurred on by former President Donald Trump, Republicans have picked up their criticism of the Commission on Presidential Debates as biased toward Democrats,...
Trump Praises Kim, Suggests
Prompting a China-Russia Fight
Mar 6, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Trump Praises Kim, Suggests Prompting a China-Russia Fight
Former president addresses a series of issues to GOP donors
- Former President Donald Trump focused on foreign policy in a speech to major Republican donors Saturday night, drawing laughs with a suggestion for getting Russia and China to fight each other. But he took time to praise North Korea's dictator for his "total control" of the country and...
RNC's Selection of 'Great
Presidents' Includes Nixon
Feb 21, 2022 3:42 PM CST
RNC's Selection of 'Great Presidents' Includes Nixon
Party wished a 'Happy Presidents Day' to presidents who aren't Biden
- The Republican National Committee sent a Presidents Day message with praise for presidents past—but definitely not present. A tweet from the RNC featured a selection of Republican presidents—including Abraham Lincoln, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, both George Bushes, and Donald Trump—with the message "Happy Presidents Day to...
Senator Says He Invited
Manchin to Join GOP
Dec 21, 2021 8:28 PM CST
Senator Says He Invited Manchin to Join GOP
Biden still hopes to get Build Back Better done
- After delivering a potentially fatal blow to President Biden's Build Back Better plan, Sen. Joe Manchin is not a popular man with his fellow Democrats—but he's gained some Republican fans. Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn told KXAN Tuesday that he had sent the West Virginia a text...
Among Republicans, Worries
Raised About Infighting
Nov 18, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Among Republicans, Worries Raised About Infighting
Senate Republicans unhappy with counterparts in the House
- By most political forecasts—including this new one at
—Republicans stand a good chance of retaking the House next year. But another theme is emerging in coverage as well: Friction within the House GOP is getting worse and threatening to hurt the party's progress. The Hill...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Grammer: Here's Why 'Niles' Won't Be in Frasier Reboot
Qatar Sets Record With World Cup Exit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.