Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bad News on
Great Salt Lake:
'This Is a Crisis'
Jan 9, 2023 12:21 PM CST
Bad News on Great Salt Lake: 'This Is a Crisis'
Researchers say Utah lake could vanish in 5 years if excess water consumption isn't remedied
- Since 2020, Utah's Great Salt Lake has lost about 40 billion gallons of water per year, a consequence of the West's megadrought and too much water consumption. Researchers say that stat shouldn't be ignored: If remedies aren't made, the largest saltwater lake in the Western Hemisphere...
Chilly Outdoor Getaway
Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
Dec 29, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Chilly Outdoor Getaway Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
The 3 fell through the ice while on a frozen lake in Arizona
- Three families living in a Phoenix suburb drove north the day after Christmas to spend time outdoors; it proved fatal for three of the parents. CBS News reports that while in Forest Lakes, Arizona, three of the parents—a married couple and a dad—decided to venture onto the frozen...
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake
Could Be From Middle Ages
Dec 13, 2022 12:22 PM CST
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake Could Be From Middle Ages
More vessels likely to be discovered during sonar scan of Lake Mjosa
- A survey of the biggest lake in Norway has revealed an almost perfectly preserved shipwreck, possibly from the Middle Ages. The 33-foot-long wooden ship is believed to have sunk between the 1300s and 1850 based on signs of a central rudder at what appears to be the ship's stern,...
Day Playing on Icy
Lake Ends in Tragedy
Dec 12, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Day Playing on Icy Lake Ends in Tragedy
3 young boys die, 4th critically injured after they fell through ice in Solihull, England
- Three young boys are dead and one is in critical condition after they fell through the ice on a lake in Solihull, England. At a presser Sunday evening, Richard Stanton of the West Midlands Fire Service said that the department responded around 2:40pm local time that day, along with...
At Lake Mead,
an Explosive Find
Oct 27, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
At Lake Mead, an Explosive Find
Signs of volcanic eruptions accompany 6th set of human remains discovered since May
- America's largest reservoir has given up a sixth set of human remains . A diver and business owner at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area found a presumed human bone in the Callville Bay area on Oct. 17, prompting a park dive team to investigate the following day, when more...
Visitor to Iowa Infected by
'Worst Parasite in the World'
Jul 11, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Visitor to Iowa Infected by 'Worst Parasite in the World'
Health officials testing lake in Taylor County after Missouri resident infected by brain-eating amoeba
- A lake beach in southwest Iowa has been temporarily shuttered after a visitor from a neighboring state was infected by a rare but dangerous brain-eating amoeba. A Friday release from the Iowa Department of Public Health notes that the beach at Lake of Three Fires State Park is currently off-limits...
After Husband's Suicide, She
Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Jul 7, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
After Husband's Suicide, She Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Her father offered to care for the children, but Molly Cheng refused: relative
- After her husband committed suicide, a Minnesota mother decided her only path was a triple murder-suicide that left herself and her three children dead along with him, according to police. Molly Cheng, 23, called 911 around 10:30am Friday to report the death of husband Yee Lee, 27, who was...
Great Salt Lake
Sees a Historic
Jul 6, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Great Salt Lake Sees a Historic Low, Again
Water level drops to 4,190.1 feet, after it matched 170-year-old record just this past October
- The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. The Utah Department of Natural Resources said Monday in a news release...
Lake Search Completes
Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Jul 3, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
3 young children, parents are dead in suspected murder-suicide
This story has been updated throughout with new developments.
The bodies of three young children and a woman believed to be their mother have been recovered from a Minnesota lake, and authorities say the deaths are being investigated as murder-suicide, per the AP . The body of the children's...
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body
Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
May 4, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
Police say victim was shot
Police have shared details about the body found inside a barrel that was discovered on the newly exposed bottom of Nevada's Lake Mead, saying the remains belong to a person who'd been shot. Investigators are dating the crime to the late 1970s or early '80s, with...
Says She Floated
on Air Mattress
for 2 Days
Feb 7, 2022 8:33 AM CST
Rescued Woman Says She Floated on Air Mattress for 2 Days
'Connie' was spotted on the shores of Lake Texoma in Oklahoma by crew members on a passing train
- Crew members on a train zipping past an Oklahoma lake were treated to a strange sight last week, and it turned out to be one lucky sighting. KRMG reports that a BNSF Railway train was headed south along Lake Texoma on Thursday when conductor Cristhian Sosa and engineer Justin Luster...
They Were Checking Up
on the Fish. Then, a Shocker
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2020 7:00 AM CST
They Were Checking Up on the Fish. Then, a Shocker
Ever seen a 9-pound goldfish?
- Parks and recreation officials were checking the water quality of a small lake in South Carolina when a surprise guest proved just how healthy the environment was. From the depths of Oak Grove Lake in Greenville County came a massive goldfish stretching some 15 inches long. That's just a...
Heroic Teenager Dies
After Saving Her Family
Aug 22, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Heroic Teenager Dies After Saving Her Family
Raina Lynn Neeland was only 18
- A heroic Minnesota teenager is dead after saving her relatives from perilous river waters, the
reports. Raina Lynn Neeland, 18, pulled out the youngsters—including one who was only 6—from Clearwater Lake before losing her life. "Raina jumped in without hesitation and pulled three little ones out...
2 Dead, 6 Possibly Missing
After Planes Collide Over Lake
Jul 6, 2020 7:33 AM CDT
2 Dead, 6 Possibly Missing After Planes Collide Over Lake
It happened Sunday over Idaho's Lake Coeur d'Alene
- Two people are confirmed dead and as many as six others are missing after two planes collided on Sunday afternoon over an Idaho lake, NBC News reports. Per the
, the crash that took place around 2:20pm local time over Lake Coeur d'Alene involved a single-engine Cessna TU206G...
Lecture on Social
Doesn't Go Well
May 5, 2020 8:37 AM CDT
Park Ranger's Lecture on Social Distancing Doesn't Go Well
Brandon Hicks, 25, is accused of pushing Texas park ranger Cassidy Stillwell into a lake
- A Texas park ranger who was politely instructing a crowd on social distancing Thursday unexpectedly ended up in a lake—and the man accused of pushing him in has been arrested. The ranger, identified by CNN as Cassidy Stillwell, was patrolling Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park in Austin around 5pm...
Girl Finds Ancient
Sword in Lake, Is Now
Sweden's 'True Queen'
Oct 5, 2018 4:41 AM CDT
Girl Finds Ancient Sword in Lake, Is Now Sweden's 'True Queen'
Saga Vanecek, 8, dug up the 1,500-year-old Iron Age weapon in Lake Vidostern
- What a museum worker calls an "amazing story" has emerged out of the south of Sweden, where a 1,500-year-old sword from the Iron Age was found in a lake—not by archaeologists or maritime researchers, but by an 8-year-old from Minneapolis. NPR reports on Saga Vanecek's discovery...
Owner on Jeep
Ending Up in Lake:
'I Was Speechless'
Jan 24, 2018 8:41 AM CST
Owner on Jeep Ending Up in Lake: 'I Was Speechless'
Friends who'd borrowed her vehicle were led into Lake Champlain by Google's Waze app
- "I was speechless." That's how the owner of a Jeep tells WCAX she reacted when she heard said Jeep had ended up at the bottom of Lake Champlain. How Tara Guertin's vehicle got there: She says friends who were driving it were misled by faulty directions...
World's Deepest Lake
Is in Deep Trouble
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2017 2:10 PM CDT
World's Deepest Lake Is in Deep Trouble
Russia's Lake Baikal is polluted and over-fished
- One-fifth of all non-frozen fresh water in the world is located in a single Russian lake, and experts say that lake is in crisis, AFP reports. Siberia's Lake Baikal—the world's deepest lake at more than 5,500 feet—is a UNESCO world heritage site, home to more...
Amid Tragic Chain of Events,
a Heroic Rescue Takes Place
Mar 17, 2017 6:55 AM CDT
Amid Tragic Chain of Events, a Heroic Rescue Takes Place
Todd Zobrist saved infant from submerged SUV
- A fast-acting paramedic dove into the frigid waters of an Illinois lake where an SUV was submerged Thursday and found an infant floating inside, then administered CPR while on the hood and swam the child to shore, authorities say. The infant was one of seven siblings who survived a tragic...
Vast Find Made in Unknown Region of Antarctica
Jan 14, 2016 7:00 AM CST
Vast Find Made in Unknown Region of Antarctica
We know more about the surface of Mars than the bed of Antarctica
- For more than 50 years, scientists from across the globe have been painstakingly mapping both poles, trying to get an accurate sense of the rock hidden beneath the ice sheets. Now, thanks to satellite data from multiple organizations and "serendipitous reconnaissance radio-echo sounding data" over the canyons of Antarctica,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.