Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue
Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Jan 10, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Watch as police pull pilot from small aircraft from tracks right before train smashes into it
- One very lucky pilot in California is alive after surviving not one, but two back-to-back crashes over the weekend. Per the LAPD's Valley Bureau , a small plane lost power and crashed onto the railroad tracks in the Pacoima neighborhood of Los Angeles on Sunday, with ABC7 noting the accident...
The Car Tried to Get Around
the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
Dec 31, 2021 10:30 AM CST
The Car Tried to Get Around the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
2 are dead in Aventura, Fla., after commuter train hits their car trying to cross tracks
- Two people in Aventura, Fla., died when a higher-speed commuter train hit their car as the driver tried to make it around the crossing gate, police said. The crossing gate's lights were flashing and bells were ringing to signal an approaching train on Thursday morning when the car tried...
Men Grieving Their
Dead Brother Are
Killed in Same Spot
in case you missed it
Aug 8, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Men Grieving Their Dead Brother Are Killed in Same Spot
Pablo Us, Jose Us fatally hit by train at same NC spot where Baltazar Us died
- The two brothers headed out Tuesday at the crack of dawn to mourn privately for another brother, who was killed last week in North Carolina after a train hit his pickup. Tragically—and "eerily," per the
—Pablo Tiquiram Us, 29, and his 20-year-old sibling, Jose...
At Least 35 Dead After
Pakistan Train Collision
Jun 7, 2021 12:08 AM CDT
At Least 35 Dead After Pakistan Train Collision
As many as 20 passengers are still trapped
- Two express trains collided in southern Pakistan early Monday, killing at least 35 passengers, authorities said, as rescuers and villagers worked to pull injured people and more bodies from the wreckage. Between 15 and 20 passengers are still trapped in the wreckage of the Millat Express train and authorities were...
Train Collision Injures
More Than 200
May 25, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Train Collision Injures More Than 200
3 are in critical condition in Malaysia incident
- Two light rail trains collided in a tunnel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, injuring more than 200 people, in the first major crash for the 23-year-old metro system, the AP reports. Pictures on social media after the Monday night collision showed bloodied passengers, some lying on the floor of the carriage...
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed
on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
Apr 2, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
At least 100 hurt in Taiwan's deadliest rail disaster
- A train partially derailed in eastern Taiwan on Friday after being hit by an unmanned vehicle that had rolled down a hill, killing 48 people. With the train still partly in a tunnel, survivors climbed out of windows and walked along the train's roof to reach safety after the...
They Were Driving
to a Camping Trip.
Then the Train Came
Nov 25, 2019 9:25 AM CST
They Were Driving to a Camping Trip. Then the Train Came
Florida woman, 2 young grandsons killed on tracks that had no gates or signals
- A Florida woman and her two grandsons were killed by a passing Amtrak train on Saturday afternoon as she drove the Cub Scouts to an overnight camping trip near West Palm Beach, per the AP . The train carrying some 200 passengers collided with the family’s Subaru Outback at the...
He Was Posing for
His Senior Portrait
When the Train Came
Nov 4, 2019 4:15 PM CST
He Was Posing for His Senior Portrait When the Train Came
Oregon 17-year-old killed near train bridge
- A 17-year-old Oregon boy was posing for his high school senior portrait photos along a train bridge when he was fatally struck by a freight train,
reports. Deputies responded to the Troutdale Bridge, near the Columbia River Highway in Troutdale, around 6pm Saturday to find the boy dead, Oregon...
More Than 70 Killed in Fire
Caused by Stove on Train
Oct 31, 2019 12:06 AM CDT
More Than 70 Killed in Fire Caused by Stove on Train
Passengers in Pakistan jumped to their deaths
- A massive fire caused by a cooking gas stove erupted on Thursday on a train traveling in Pakistan's eastern Punjab province, killing at least 71 passengers, officials say. Flames roared through the train cars as the train approached the town of Liaquatpur in Punjab, they said, the latest tragedy...
Black Smoke Seen for Miles
After Train Derailment
Sep 10, 2019 4:48 PM CDT
Black Smoke Seen for Miles After Train Derailment
Freight train believed to be bearing flammable liquid, but no injuries reported
- A freight train believed to be bearing a flammable liquid used in solvents derailed in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis Tuesday, causing a fire that sent thick, black smoke into the air and prompted the evacuation of nearby schools and residences. In a news release, Union Pacific said that...
After Train Crashes
Into Bus: 'My
Heart Is Broken'
Jan 26, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Schools Chief After Train Crashes Into Bus: 'My Heart Is Broken'
One student dead, 2 injured
- One student was killed and two other individuals were injured after an East Texas school bus was hit by a train on Friday, authorities say. The
Tyler Morning Telegraph
reported the collision took place around 4pm, when the bus was at a train crossing in Athens, located about 70 miles...
We're Not Pulling It
Jan 18, 2019 9:21 AM CST
Footage: We're Not Pulling It
Company used clip from real train disaster in Quebec that killed 47
- Netflix says it will review its practices on stock footage after a controversy involving its newest horror film, but it's not planning to completely bend on what caused the original controversy. The company recently came under fire for using clips from a 2013 rail disaster in Lac-Megantic, Quebec—an...
It Was a Routine
Then, 'Lives Smashed'
Jan 2, 2019 7:45 AM CST
It Was a Routine Morning Commute. Then, 'Lives Smashed'
Accident involving 2 trains in Denmark leaves at least 6 dead, 16 injured
- At least six are dead and 16 are injured in Denmark after likely debris from a freight train hit a passenger train going the other way on a bridge connecting the country's largest island with another, per Reuters and RTE . The accident on the 11-mile-long Great Belt Bridge linking...
Shocking Train Derailment
Kills at Least 18
Oct 21, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Shocking Train Derailment Kills at Least 18
Some passengers were crushed to death
- One of Taiwan's fastest passenger trains derailed Sunday on a curve along a popular weekend route, killing at least 18 people and injuring more than 170 others, the AP reports. The Puyuma express was carrying more than 360 passengers from a suburb of Taipei in the north to Taitung,...
Train Mows Down Crowd,
Killing at Least 60
Oct 20, 2018 11:45 AM CDT
Train Mows Down Crowd, Killing at Least 60
People were watching fireworks at a festival in northern India
- A speeding train ran over a crowd watching fireworks during a religious festival in northern India on Friday evening, killing at least 60 people and injuring dozens more, police said. The train failed to stop after the accident on the outskirts of Amritsar, a city in Punjab state, according to...
The Kids Went
a Train Horn
Aug 8, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
The Kids Went Missing. Then Neighbors Heard a Train Horn
3-year-old boy killed in Indiana by freight train, 2-year-old sister critically injured
- The blaring horn and screeching brakes of the passing freight train first tipped off locals that something terrible was happening Tuesday morning, they tell CBS Chicago . Police in Portage., Ind., soon after were called to the CSX railroad tracks just south of a mobile-home park, where they made an awful...
She Tried for a Pic of a Famous
Steam Train. She Lost Her Life
Jul 23, 2018 12:22 PM CDT
She Tried for a Pic of a Famous Steam Train. She Lost Her Life
Woman dies in Denver after getting too close to tracks where Locomotive 844 was rolling in
- A woman who was taking photographs over the weekend of a steam locomotive was struck and killed after getting too close to the tracks in north suburban Denver. The Union Pacific locomotive—the AP says it was a 15-car train; the Denver Channel says it had 21 cars—was returning...
Amtrak's New Problem:
Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Feb 6, 2018 5:27 PM CST
Amtrak's New Problem: Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Nobody is hurt in incident involving Acela train in Maryland
- Because Amtrak needed one more negative headline: One of its high-speed Acela trains came apart Tuesday morning while en route from DC to New York. Specifically, the first two cars on the train uncoupled from each other in Maryland, reports the
. Both cars had passengers, but nobody was...
Lawmakers OK After Train's
Fatal Collision With Truck
Jan 31, 2018 12:02 PM CST
Lawmakers OK After Train's Fatal Collision With Truck
Republican members of Congress were on their way to West Virginia; person in truck is dead
- A train carrying Republican members of Congress to a retreat in West Virginia struck a garbage truck on Wednesday. One person aboard the truck is dead and another seriously injured, reports NBC Washington . No lawmakers were believed to be seriously hurt, though one was taken to the hospital, according to...
Doesn't Appear Girl, 11,
Knew Train Was Coming
Jan 4, 2018 4:54 PM CST
Conductor Says Doesn't Appear Girl, 11, Knew Train Was Coming
Amtrak train hits, kills girl who was looking at phone
- An Amtrak train struck and killed an 11-year-old girl as she walked home from a restaurant near her home Wednesday afternoon in Florida, the AP reports. Polk County Sheriff's officials said in a news release that the train's conductor told investigators Yazmin White was looking down at her...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.