Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Survey: Gig Drivers
in Denver Average
$5.49 an Hour
Nov 9, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Survey: Gig Drivers in Denver Average $5.49 an Hour
Pay comes in well under minimum wage, but companies contest the calculations
- The income of gig drivers in the Denver area is running well below minimum wage, a survey has found. Two advocacy groups, Colorado Jobs with Justice and Gig Workers Rising, queried hundreds of drivers for such platforms as Lyft, Uber, and DoorDash from last November through January, the
Cops: Man Died After
Lyft Driver Kicked
Him Out on Highway
Jul 27, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Cops: Man Died After Lyft Driver Kicked Him Out on Highway
Former Cuomo aide Sidney Wolf was hit by another vehicle on Delaware highway
- Sidney Wolf, a former senior policy aide to former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, died on a Delaware highway early Sunday morning after a Lyft driver allegedly kicked him and five friends out of a vehicle. According to a Delaware State Police release, the group hired a Lyft to bring...
Cops: Man Killed Lyft Driver,
Stole His Car for Family Event
Jul 6, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Cops: Man Killed Lyft Driver, Stole His Car for Family Event
Devin Powell claimed he found the vehicle running with nobody inside
- An Indianapolis man on his way to a family function ordered a Lyft—but police say instead of paying for a ride, he murdered the driver and stole his vehicle. Devlin Powell, 24, was arrested and charged with murder and robbery after police tracked the stolen vehicle to Merrillville, around...
Companies to Cover
Abortion Travel Expenses
Jun 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Companies to Cover Abortion Travel Expenses
Disney joins corporations helping employees receive services 'no matter where they live'
- The Walt Disney Co. on Friday joined a growing list of companies offering to pay travel expenses for employees seeking abortion services. Saying it realizes the effects of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Disney said it will cover travel costs for employees and their families...
Gig Driver Who Missed Car
Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Jan 6, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Gig Driver Who Missed Car Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Ali Badr is suing city of San Ramon, Calif., for excessive force after being pulled over by cops
- A gig driver badly mauled by a police dog is suing a San Francisco area suburb, alleging use of excessive force and violation of civil rights when police stopped him in December 2020 after he'd missed car rental payments, reports the AP . Dashboard and body-camera videos obtained by the...
Uber Reports Its
First-Ever Operating Profit
Nov 5, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Uber Reports Its First-Ever Operating Profit
But its net loss for the quarter was $2.4B
- Uber is still a very long way from being a truly profitable company, but by one metric, it has just managed to turn its first operating profit after a decade of heavy losses. The company reported an adjusted EBITDA—earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization—of $8 million for...
Salesforce, Uber, Lyft
Make Moves Around
Texas Abortion Law
Sep 11, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Salesforce, Uber, Lyft Make Moves Around Texas Abortion Law
Salesforce will relocate workers concerned about care access; Uber, Lyft will pay drivers' legal fees
- The Texas abortion ban, and the recent Supreme Court ruling keeping it in place, is drawing plenty of reaction, from everyone from Justice Stephen Breyer to Attorney General Merrick Garland weighing in. Add Salesforce.com into the mix, with the company informing employees this week that it would pay for...
His Story Sums Up the Agony,
Ecstasy of the Gig Economy
Jun 27, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
His Story Sums Up the Agony, Ecstasy of the Gig Economy
Ecstasy in 2014, at least
- "To understand how a man could arrive at the point where he abandons his children to chase a phone, you might want to follow him on a journey." So writes Lauren Smiley in a lengthy piece for
about Jeffrey Fang, a "ride-hailing legend" who in 2014...
Lyft, Uber Offer
Free Rides for Shots
May 11, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
Lyft, Uber Offer Free Rides for Shots
Biden administration cuts deal to run through July 4
- As part of the push to administer at least one coronavirus vaccination shot to 70% of US adults by Independence Day, President Biden's administration has a plan to handle the transportation for those needing a ride. Uber and Lyft will handle the round trip for vaccine recipients through July...
Uber, Lyft Spent a Wild Amount,
Came Out on Top in California
Nov 4, 2020 7:33 AM CST
Uber, Lyft Spent a Wild Amount, Came Out on Top in California
Proposition 22 passes, so workers can remain independent contactors
- There was at least one clear winner on election night: Uber, Lyft, Instacart, and other delivery and ride-share companies, which can stick with classifying their California workers as independent contractors. Voters in the state came out 58% to 42% in favor of Proposition 22, which allows the companies to skirt...
Election Day Have You Stressed,
Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Nov 3, 2020 10:38 AM CST
Election Day Have You Stressed, Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Doughnuts, chicken, and massages are gratis
- Once you've voted, head to the gym for a free workout and massage, then reward yourself with a free doughnut. Still waiting around for election results early Wednesday? You can snag a free coffee, too. It's all possible with perks offered by various businesses this Election Day, which...
Uber, Lyft Threaten to
Stop Service in Calif.
Aug 12, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
Uber, Lyft Threaten to Stop Service in Calif.
They're not happy about ruling in gig-worker case
- Uber and Lyft are threatening to halt service in California over an order requiring them to start treating drivers like employees instead of contractors and provide benefits including sick pay. The order was issued Monday by a San Francisco Superior Court judge who granted a request from California Attorney General...
Uber Was Supposed to Ease
Traffic. We Got the Opposite
Feb 17, 2020 11:38 AM CST
Uber Was Supposed to Ease Traffic. We Got the Opposite
Studies suggest ride-sharing makes congestion worse
- In the early days of Uber and Lyft, executives and proponents made bold promises of reducing traffic. "If every car in San Francisco was Ubered, there would be no traffic," then-CEO Travis Kalanick famously said five years ago. The idea was that multiple strangers would be sharing rides...
Passengers Call for a Lyft,
Get Will Smith as Driver
Jan 22, 2020 3:54 PM CST
Passengers Call for a Lyft, Get Will Smith as Driver
Actor was promoting 'Bad Boys for Life'
- Four Florida passengers were in for a shock when actor Will Smith answered their Lyft call and gave them a ride around town, the AP reports. The actor was in Miami promoting his new movie,
Bad Boys for Life
, over the weekend. He picked up four riders in a 2020...
Aug 9, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
Uber Posts Biggest-Ever Quarterly Loss
Company lost $5.24B in 3 months
- Uber lost $5.24 billion in the second quarter of 2019—its largest quarterly loss ever—after making huge stock-based payouts in the months following its initial public offering. The ride-hailing giant says it paid $3.9 billion in stock-based compensation and expenses during the quarter. It also paid $298...
Police: Guy Shoots Up
Mobile Home, Calls
Lyft to Flee the Scene
Jun 5, 2019 1:57 PM CDT
Police: Guy Shoots Up Mobile Home, Calls Lyft to Flee the Scene
Lyft driver was 'shook up' by the whole thing
- Not a great idea: using a car-share service as your getaway vehicle. Police say Issa Amer Ishtawi, 20, broke into a mobile home in Portage, Indiana, fired a gun, took one of the residents outside and then fired more into the mobile home, hitting one person in the foot and...
Uber Driver Ordered to
Pay $500K to Torture Victim
May 22, 2019 3:59 AM CDT
Uber Driver Ordered to Pay $500K to Torture Victim
Yusuf Abdi Ali was commander in Somali military
- Uber and Lyft say they have permanently removed accused war criminal Yusuf Abdi Ali from their apps. The Somali ex-colonel, who drove for the rideshare apps in northern Virginia, was ordered to pay torture victim Farhan Tani Warfaa $500,000 by a jury in the state Tuesday, the
Giant Just Went Public
May 10, 2019 10:36 AM CDT
Another Ride-Sharing Giant Just Went Public
Uber shares were going for $45 each, raising $8.1B, just weeks after Lyft's IPO
- With a ring of the opening bell, Uber began picking up passengers as a newly minted public company Friday, giving investors a chance to bet on a service with huge potential but a long way from turning a profit. Shares in the ride-hailing giant were sold in an initial public...
Expect Fewer Ubers
on the Road Today
May 8, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Expect Fewer Ubers on the Road Today
Drivers striking ahead of company's IPO debut
- Uber drivers from Australia to the UK, including in at least 10 US cities, are logging off the app Wednesday to protest the company's Friday IPO offering. With Uber's expected $90 billion valuation, drivers say investors stand to get rich, while they struggle with low pay, limited benefits,...
As Lyft Goes Public,
Founders Get Very Rich
Mar 29, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
As Lyft Goes Public, Founders Get Very Rich
$510M for John Zimmer and $700M for Logan Green, reports 'Forbes'
- Think ride-hailing is the future of transportation? It's now possible to put some money behind your faith. Lyft began trading publicly on the Nasdaq exchange Friday, and investors seemed receptive. Shares opened at $87.24, roughly 21% higher than the $72 the company settled on for its IPO, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.