Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dr. Fauci's Face Is on Hundreds of Doughnuts
Thanks to Donuts Delite in Rochester, NY
- An upstate New York doughnut shop is featuring the likeness of the doctor leading the country's battle with coronavirus on its sweet treats, the AP reports. Donuts Delite in Rochester began selling hundreds of doughnuts with Dr. Anthony Fauci's face, surrounded by white frosting and topped off with...
After Chat With Drew Brees, Tears From Hoda
'Today' show co-host got emotional over Saints QB's $5M donation to Louisiana to fight virus
- On Thursday, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees made a big announcement : He and his wife, Brittany, would be donating $5 million to the state of Louisiana to help its citizens get through the coronavirus pandemic. The next day, he chatted with Hoda Kotb on the
show about his...
Neighbors Have Sweet Surprise for Young Cancer Survivor
It's a pandemic-friendly welcome
- Courtney "Coco" Johnson didn't think there would be much of a celebration when she finished chemotherapy this week amid the coronavirus pandemic. The 15-year-old was very, very wrong. Coco, whose eighth-grade graduation last June came on the same day as her diagnosis with a Ewing sarcoma in her...
Student Working Drive-Thru Shift Gets Best Customer Ever
Kaitlyn Watson informed by school administrator she's her class valedictorian
- Kaitlyn Watson has been out of school for nearly two weeks due to the closures spurred by the coronavirus. But the Michigan high school senior has still been working her shifts at the Culver's fast-food drive-thru, and recently she waited on her best customer ever. That customer, per CBS...
Celebs Reaching Out to Help During Shutdown
Drew Brees, James Taylor, Ariana Grande, and Taylor Swift among the latest
- More big names are getting out their checkbooks to help people amid the coronavirus outbreak:
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife, Brittany, have committed $5 million to the state of Louisiana, reports ESPN . Among other things, that will mean 10,000 meals a day to
Dyson Designed a New Ventilator in Just 10 Days
Boris Johnson appealed to the British vacuum billionaire for help
- The name is most familiar in terms of vacuum cleaners, but Dyson is now going to churn out ventilators, too, reports
. British billionaire James Dyson says the company designed and built a prototype 10 days after receiving an SOS call from Prime Minister Boris Johnson in regard to the...
People Love This Video of Bear Waking From Hibernation
Ranger in Canadian Rockies captures the cute moment
- It's the viral video the world needs right now: A ranger in the Canadian Rockies captured a grizzly bear named Boo breaking through the snow as he emerged from his winter den after hibernation. The video of the bear, whom the
terms as "groggy," has been...
Welcome Find in Cathedral's Crypt: 5K Respirator Masks
They're being donated to 2 area hospitals
- Key medical equipment that's in short supply amid the coronavirus pandemic is being funneled to hospitals from all sorts of unexpected places these days. The AP reports veterinary hospitals are donating their own supplies, with the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Raleigh sending two full-service...
Ryan Reynolds Helps Out the Barkeeps
'I wouldn't be the father I am today without bartenders'
- Out-of-work bartenders are getting some help from actor and gin aficionado Ryan Reynolds. In a Tuesday tweet , Reynolds said the United States Bartenders' Guild would receive 30% of proceeds from online sales of Aviation Gin until May 1. Consider it "a tip to your bartenders—who REALLY miss you...
Amid Virus Mask Shortage, Americans Step Up
Volunteers across nation are setting up sewing machines to get masks to health care workers
- An interior decorator. A guy who waterproofs basements. A fashion designer. These are just a few of the Good Samaritans around the country who are sitting behind their sewing machines to churn out face masks for health care workers amid the coronavirus pandemic. As more and more patients are diagnosed...
Musk Praised for 'Heroic Effort' in Coronavirus Fight
He donates more than 1K ventilators to LA
- Elon Musk has been criticized for downplaying the coronavirus crisis and hesitating to close Tesla factories —but he may also have saved many lives. The Tesla founder, who promised to supply ventilators if there was a shortage, has now donated more than 1,000 of them to Los Angeles,...
Detroit Billionaire Throws Businesses a Lifeline
Dan Gilbert's real estate firm won't charge rent for 2 or 3 months
- Good news for many Detroit small businesses that are sweating over how to make rent. The downtown's largest landlord is doing away with rent, building expenses, and parking fees for April and May. Some—those whose monthly sales total $80,000 or less—will qualify in June as well,...
The Virus Nixed Their Wedding Plans. Then a Pal Stepped Up
Friend married NYC couple on sidewalk from his 4th-floor apartment window
- There hasn't been much uplifting news during the coronavirus outbreak, but there was at least one bright spot amid the pandemic last week in New York City. NBC News reports on the plight of 28-year-old Reilly Jennings and Amanda Wheeler, 38, who'd planned on getting married in October...
Kevin Bacon Has a 'Six Degrees' Idea
He wants to use it to spread the word about staying home amid the coronavirus outbreak
- Kevin Bacon wants to turn the "six degrees of separation" idea forever associated with him into a tool to fight the novel coronavirus. In an Instagram post, the actor urges people to use the concept to spread the word about the importance of staying home amid the outbreak to...
A New Term Emerges to Describe Kind COVID Acts
'Caremongering,' the opposite of 'scaremongering'
- The coronavirus news can be depressing stuff, but a spate of stories is emerging as a counterpoint—strangers helping strangers, particularly the most vulnerable. In fact, the term "caremongering" is catching on to describe what's going on. Some examples:
In Bend, Ore., 25-year-old Rebecca Mehra tweeted
Celebrities Are Releasing Amusing, Weird Virus PSAs
Arnold and his tiny animals, Mel and his son urge you to stay home
- Amid widespread calls to practice social distancing in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, celebrities are starting to get in on the movement. Among the video PSAs that have come out is one from Arnold Schwarzenegger, who, along with his miniature horse and his...
At Closed Aquarium, Penguins Take a Stroll
With humans barred, Chicago's Shedd Aquarium lets them wander
- Chicago's Shedd Aquarium has provided a rare bright spot amid the coronavirus news: Video of penguins strolling around the joint, reports CNN . The museum is closed to the public for the near future, so the penguins' caretakers let them go on what they called a "field trip" to...
From Australian Quarantine, Tom Hanks Starts an Uproar
How much Vegemite he spread on his toast has Australia buzzing
- He might be America's dad, but Tom Hanks has managed to trigger genuine Australian horror amid his coronavirus quarantine with wife Rita Wilson: In a post CNET says "channels Mister Rogers," the 63-year-old actor tweeted a picture Sunday that showed a stuffed kangaroo holding a mini Australian...
Why Charles Barkley Is Getting Rid of His Trophies
NBA star is building affordable housing in his hometown
- Old trophies and medals? Who needs those? Not Charles Barkley, who is selling off a number of items from his NBA career for a lovely reason: He wants to build affordable housing in his hometown of Leeds, Alabama. "All that stuff is at my grandmother’s house ... to be...
Her Mom Thought She Had a Cold. Then She Lost Her Sight
Jade DeLucia can now see again after a frightening bout with the flu
- It's been a traumatic couple of months for the family of Jade DeLucia, but the news has been getting better. Per KCRG , the Iowa 4-year-old started feeling sick in the days before Christmas, but mom Amanda Phillips thought she just had a cold. Then, on Christmas Eve, Jade was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ex-Biden Aide Makes Harrowing Accusation
She Said Virus Coverage Was to Hurt Trump. Now, a Parting
US City's Outbreak Is 'Off the Charts'
The National Guard Seeks Fleeing New Yorkers
Amazon Delivery Guy Seen Spitting on Box
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.