Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 13, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Woodruff to Step Down From
Veteran journalist will leave as anchor after midterms, work on specials, projects for WETA-TV
- Judy Woodruff fans, enjoy the next seven months or so. That's about how long the
anchor will remain at the helm, with plans to step down sometime after the midterms, she announced to program staffers in a memo cited by Deadline . Two sources confirm to
Most Trusted News Source
Is Bit of a Surprise
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Most Trusted News Source Is Bit of a Surprise
52% of Americans trust the Weather Channel in latest YouGov poll
- When it comes to the weather, most of us are on the same side of things—or, at least we're all watching and believing the same reports. That's according to YouGov , a UK market research firm whose latest poll on the media found that the most trusted news...
Unapologetic Smiley Buys
Radio Station for a Comeback
Jun 16, 2021 7:45 PM CDT
Unapologetic Smiley Buys Radio Station for a Comeback
PBS fired host in 2017 after allegations
- Three years after workplace misconduct allegations cost veteran TV and radio talk show host Tavis Smiley his job and a national forum, he wants to return to the air. Smiley, who continues to deny the claims of unwanted sexual behavior that led PBS to drop his long-running show, is attempting...
BIPOC Filmmakers Have a
Problem With PBS, Ken Burns
Mar 31, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
BIPOC Filmmakers Have a Problem With PBS, Ken Burns
Exclusive partnership comes at the expense of diversity, they argue
- Almost 140 filmmakers, including some who work with PBS, have signed a letter calling out the public broadcaster for a "systemic failure to fulfill [its] mandate for a diversity of voices." The letter , implying an overemphasis on white creators, notes Ken Burns, a white man, has created about...
Michelle Obama Has a Gift
for Children—and Parents
Apr 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Michelle Obama Has a Gift for Children—and Parents
She'll read on-air for kids, just like Dana Perino has been doing on FoxNews.com
- Stuck at home with the kids? Michelle Obama will be reading children's books on PBS every Monday at noon for the next month, Fox News reports. "At this time when so many families are under so much stress, I'm excited to give kids a chance to practice...
Jury to Former PBS Host:
You Owe at Least $1.5M
Mar 4, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Jury to Former PBS Host: You Owe at Least $1.5M
Tavis Smiley loses court case over sexual-misconduct claims
- Tavis Smiley suffered a crushing legal blow Wednesday when jurors decided he has to pay at least $1.5 million to PBS over relationships with six female employees, the
reports. The Washington, DC, jury needed about 1 1/2 days to determine that the former talk-show host had violated...
Investigation Finds Allegations
Against Smiley Covering Years
Jan 3, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Investigation Finds Allegations Against Smiley Covering Years
PBS commissioned outside report on sexual harassment accusations
- For years, Tavis Smiley had sexual relationships with guests and staff members on his talk show, in addition to sexually harassing and inappropriately touching women, a PBS report says. The 500-page report was based on an external investigation commissioned by PBS and released Friday, Deadline reports, as part of the...
A Year On,
Saudi Crown Prince
Sep 26, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
A Year On, Saudi Crown Prince Talks Khashoggi
MBS says murder 'happened under my watch' but denies knowledge of it
- Saudi Arabia's crown prince has accepted responsibility for the first time in Jamal Khashoggi's murder at the kingdom's Istanbul consulate last October—though he still claims he had no knowledge of it. "I get all the responsibility, because it happened under my watch," Mohammed bin...
You Won't See This
Gay Wedding in Alabama
May 21, 2019 8:04 AM CDT
You Won't See This Gay Wedding in Alabama
Alabama Public Television blocks episode of kids' show 'Arthur'
- Alabama Public Television will not air the season 22 premiere of the PBS kids' show
because it features a gay wedding. "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone," in which Arthur's third-grade teacher marries a chocolatier, earned praise for "the inclusion of an LGBT character as...
How Native Americans
'Rocked the World'
Jan 19, 2019 1:40 PM CST
How Native Americans 'Rocked the World'
A new PBS documentary aims to set the record straight
- As a child, Fred Lincoln "Link" Wray Jr. hid under a bed when the Ku Klux Klan came to his parents' home in rural North Carolina. Racist groups often targeted the poor family of Shawnee Native American ancestry as the Wrays endured segregation in the American South just like...
Which Book Is America's
Favorite? It's a Classic
Oct 24, 2018 5:58 PM CDT
Which Book Is America's Favorite? It's a Classic
Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' takes the top spot in PBS ranking
- We all have a love affair with a certain book, or books, that stoked our imaginations, shaped our worldview, or otherwise brought us together in a shared bond with others in the avid-readers community. Quartz notes that PBS was curious which tome Americans most took to, and so the network...
PBS Says Tavis Smiley Needs
to Get His 'Story Straight'
Dec 18, 2017 4:30 PM CST
PBS Says Tavis Smiley Needs to Get His 'Story Straight'
PBS suspended its longtime host last week for sexual misconduct
- Last week, PBS suspended production of the
show, citing what it called "credible" and "troubling allegations" of sexual misconduct against its host. This morning Smiley fired back on
Good Morning America
, and now the longtime partners are embroiled in a war of words. Using investigators from...
Tavis Smiley Suspended,
Says, 'This Has Gone Too Far'
Dec 14, 2017 12:37 AM CST
Tavis Smiley Suspended, Says, 'This Has Gone Too Far'
PBS host vows to fight back after sexual misconduct claims
- Another TV host has been suspended amid accusations of sexual misconduct—and PBS has another hole in its schedule. The broadcaster announced Wednesday that production of Tavis Smiley's self-titled late-night show was suspended with immediate effect after an outside investigation of "troubling allegations" uncovered "multiple, credible allegations...
PBS Names Replacement
for Charlie Rose
Dec 5, 2017 2:00 AM CST
PBS Names Replacement for Charlie Rose
Christiane Amanpour's CNN show will be repackaged
- PBS is welcoming Christiane Amanpour, CNN's chief international correspondent, as an interim replacement for Charlie Rose, who was fired by both CBS and PBS last month after being accused of sexual harassment by multiple women.
Amanpour on PBS
—a repackaged version of the veteran journalist's show on CNN...
Now Up to 12
Nov 22, 2017 11:20 AM CST
Charlie Rose Accuser Count Now Up to 12
Including 3 new women who worked with him at CBS
- It's no longer only women linked to PBS who are accusing Charlie Rose of sexual harassment. Following a
report describing allegations from eight women who worked or aspired to work on PBS'
, three female employees of CBS say they were also harassed by the 75-year-old...
Sep 15, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Is 'Required Viewing'
Critic calls 18-hour series a 'masterpiece'
- A decade in the making, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's documentary series,
The Vietnam War
, premieres on PBS Sunday, but it's already gaining quite the reputation among critics. The 18-hour documentary, told in 10 episodes, digs deep into the conflict, meshing first-person interviews with historical footage. Then it...
PBS as Vital
as Military for
Apr 5, 2017 9:36 AM CDT
McChrystal: PBS as Vital as Military for US Safety
Retired Gen. McChrystal taps into his expertise to explain how PBS makes us safer
- On the chopping block in President Trump's proposed budget are nearly 20 different agencies, including the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds the Public Broadcasting Service. In an op-ed for the
New York Times
, retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal makes the point that the "hard power" of a...
PBS Slammed for 'Fake'
Jul 5, 2016 5:33 AM CDT
PBS Slammed for 'Fake' Fireworks Footage
It used stock footage during 'live' broadcast
- Noticed something a bit off about PBS'
A Capitol Fourth
broadcast Monday? So did hundreds of people who took to Facebook and Twitter, per NBC News . Though host Tom Bergeron initially laughed off concerns that the live concert and fireworks display over Washington would be rained out, per the
Down the Block to HBO
Aug 13, 2015 1:20 PM CDT
Moves Down the Block to HBO
But PBS, which has aired the show since 1969, isn't left out in the cold
- In addition to their ABCs and 123s, kids watching
will now also become familiar with H-B-O. The cable network has announced a new partnership with Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit behind the TV show, that means the next five seasons will air exclusively on HBO and via its streaming...
PBS: Ben Affleck
Jun 25, 2015 3:52 AM CDT
PBS: Ben Affleck an
Finding Your Roots has been put on hold
- After the Ben Affleck embarrassment, is
Finding Your Roots
now the kind of show that won't hush things up on the say-so of a Hollywood star ? Sounds like PBS isn't sure: It says an internal review has "determined that the series co-producers violated PBS standards by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.