Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
California Lawmakers Defend Being in Maui Right Now
They say event at luxury hotel is to discuss how to 'safely reopen our society'
- California lawmakers are defending their presence at a Hawaiian conference on "intelligent public policy" regarding COVID-19, but it appears they defied their home state's warnings to go. Four Republicans who attended the bipartisan event—state Sen. Andreas Borgeas and Assembly members Jordan Cunningham, Heath Flora, and Frank Bigelow—...
State Lawmaker, 6 Others Die in 'Unfathomable Tragedy'
2 planes collide over Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, killing Rep. Gary Knopp
- Seven people, including an Alaska state lawmaker, died Friday when two small airplanes collided in midair near Soldotna, a small community on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. Alaska State Troopers said state Rep. Gary Knopp of Kenai, believed to be in his early 60s, was the sole occupant of one plane....
Illinois Lawmaker's Refusal to Wear Mask Has Consequences
State Rep. Darren Bailey is pulled from the legislative session
- The Illinois House voted to temporarily remove GOP Rep. Darren Bailey on Wednesday for refusing to wear a mask. Earlier Wednesday, the House had adopted a rule requiring attendees of the special session to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth, if medically able. "I will not,...
Armed Activists Take Black Lawmaker to Work
Rep. Sarah Anthony says she 'was pleased to receive the type of support'
- Talk about an escort: Armed black activists walked a black lawmaker to work Wednesday in Michigan, the
reports. Rep. Sarah Anthony (D-Lansing) was accompanied by six people—some of them armed, one Hispanic—on her trip to the state Capitol building. "Being a black and brown female Democrat...
Lawmaker Won't Wear Mask Over Religious Beliefs
Ohio Rep. Nino Vitale says humans are created in God's image, and he won't cover up
- An Ohio state lawmaker is refusing to wear a mask because, well, it would cover his face. In a Monday Facebook post , GOP Rep. Nino Vitale cited his religious beliefs in refusing Republican Gov. Mike DeWine's recommendation to wear a mask to limit the spread of COVID-19, per the...
Pol's Alleged Words After Arrest: 'You Know How Women Drive'
Tow truck driver says lawmaker Brian Kolb tried to blame crash on wife
- A New York state lawmaker arrested after a New Year's Eve car accident and accused of driving while intoxicated tried to pin the blame on his wife, according to the tow truck driver who came to assist. The AAA driver, who the
New York Post
notes didn't ID...
Report: State Lawmaker Engaged in Domestic Terrorism
Washington Rep. Matt Shea says he isn't going anywhere
- House Republicans in Washington state suspended one of their own Thursday after an investigation the House commissioned found he'd participated in "an act of domestic terrorism." The
explains that the 108-page report on Rep. Matt Shea released Thursday by a Seattle firm "largely corroborates previous...
County Lawmaker Rants About 'Queer' Running for President
Apparent reference to Pete Buttigieg has earned Tennessee's Warren Hurst condemnation
- A commissioners' meeting in Sevier County, Tenn., went off the rails Monday during a discussion on a resolution to make the county a "Second Amendment sanctuary," per the
. While a couple of people showed up to push back on the resolution, things remained generally coolheaded—until...
Store Prez Apologizes, Pulls the 'Feel Better Doll'
A One Dollar Zone in New Jersey has pulled them from the shelves
- Shoppers at a New Jersey store will no longer find black dolls with eye-popping instructions waiting on the shelves, NJ.com reports. The One Dollar Zone in Bayonne pulled the "Feel Better Doll" Monday after Assembleywoman Angela McKnight visited to confirm what she'd seen on social media. A...
Lawmaker Is Mailed 1.7K Decks of Cards
Wash. state Sen. Maureen Walsh gets the hint
- Nurses weren't pleased last week when a lawmaker said nurses in Washington state's rural hospitals "probably play cards for a considerable amount of the day." They've come up with an interesting way to voice that displeasure. GOP state Sen. Maureen Walsh says she has received...
Lawmaker's Comment About Nurses Sparks Outrage
Some want Wash. state Sen. Maureen Walsh to resign
- One Washington state legislator is now facing calls for her resignation over what she says was a fatigue-driven remark. GOP state Sen. Maureen Walsh drew heat after she spoke on the Senate floor Tuesday on a bill pushing for uninterrupted meal and rest breaks for nurses, as well as other...
Ex-Lawmaker: Biden's Actions During Rally 'Mortified' Me
Lucy Flores says ex-VP put hands on her shoulders, kissed her head at 2014 event in Nev.
- In 2014, then-Vice President Joe Biden helped Lucy Flores campaign in Nevada for a shot at becoming the state's lieutenant governor. But something Flores says happened between the two at a Nov. 1 campaign rally that year left Flores feeling "embarrassed," "shocked," and "confused,...
Rebooting Utah's State Flag Isn't Working Out So Well
A replacement alternative was rejected for being too 'corporate'
- Utah is mulling a redesign of its state flag, but so far the process has fallen under the lamentable "best-laid plans" category. Two separate bills were recently introduced to lawmakers that would pave the way for a new flag, but a House committee has already offered what KSTU calls...
Woman Calls 911 on Black Lawmaker Campaigning in Neighborhood
'It was just bizarre,' Oregon lawmaker says
- A resident who called police about a black woman behaving "suspiciously" in her neighborhood may have been surprised to learn that it was her state representative. Oregon state Rep. Janelle Bynum says she was canvassing alone in a Portland-area neighborhood, knocking on doors, talking to people, and taking notes...
Lawmaker, #MeToo Advocate Under Investigation for Groping
The 'hypocrisy was really hard to stomach,' says alleged victim
- One of the women featured in
's December issue honoring the #MeToo movement is herself facing multiple accusations of sexual misconduct. California Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia, who chairs the Legislative Women's Caucus, has risen to national prominence with her advocacy for victims of sexual assault and harassment, counting herself...
State Lawmaker Earns Dubious Honor With a #MeToo Burn
Arizona Rep. Don Shooter may be first state lawmaker to be voted out for sex misconduct
- The Arizona House voted Thursday to expel a Republican lawmaker after a report ordered by legislative leaders of his own party showed he engaged in a pattern of sexual harassment toward women. Rep. Don Shooter of Yuma is believed to be the first state lawmaker in the US to be...
After Lawmaker's Suicide, Widow Will Run for Seat
She slams 'high-tech' lynchings
- "Dan is gone, but his story is far from over," says the widow of Dan Johnson, a Kentucky state lawmaker who killed himself Wednesday night after he was accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl . Rebecca Johnson says she plans to run for the Republican's House seat...
Lawmaker: 'I'm a Heterosexual, Stop Touching Me'
Pennsylvania lawmaker reacted strongly to brief touch from male colleague
- A conservative Pennsylvania lawmaker halted a meeting Tuesday to declare that he is a heterosexual and does not welcome being touched by men. The cause of his outrage? A brief touch on the forearm from Democratic Rep. Matt Bradford. In an exchange captured on video , Republican Rep. Daryl Metcalfe interrupts...
Trans Woman Unseats Guy Who Sponsored Va. Bathroom Bill
Danica Roem will be first openly trans state lawmaker
- A transgender woman unseated one of Virginia's longest serving and most socially conservative lawmakers Tuesday and is set to make history as the first openly transgender person elected and seated in a state legislature. Democrat Danica Roem, an experienced newspaper reporter, beat Republican Del. Bob Marshall in Tuesday's...
Whoops: Lawmaker's Handout Reveals Porn Browsing
Rhode Island's Ramon Perez says a friend gave him the image, and he didn't notice
- A Rhode Island lawmaker is acknowledging he mistakenly gave his colleagues a handout that showed open web browser tabs referencing pornographic content, per the AP . State Democratic Rep. Ramon Perez brought printouts of a Wikipedia article Wednesday to give to House Finance Committee members as part of his testimony in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6th Grader in Zoom Class Takes His Own Life
Trump Posts 'Most Important Speech I've Ever Made'
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner Than the Inauguration
Yet Another Elected Official Flouts His Own Guidelines
3rd Mysterious Metal Monolith Appears
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.