Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Death Threat
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
TV Meteorologist Stepping Down After Death Threat
Chris Gloninger of Iowa's KCCI says messages last year left him with PTSD
- Meteorologists around the world are facing increasingly aggressive pushback due to their coverage on climate change, with some cases turning outright abusive . Now, the chief weather forecaster at Iowa's KCCI is stepping down from his post for just such a reason. Chris Gloninger, a Regional Emmy winner for his...
Meteorologists Take Abuse
for Reporting Heat, Drought
May 30, 2023 5:48 PM CDT
Meteorologists Take Abuse for Reporting Heat, Drought
Conspiracy theories tie forecasters to weather manipulation in the name of climate change
- A meteorologist in Spain tweeted an update that was factual and, she thought, inoffensive. "Rain skips Spain," Isabel Moreno posted in April, along with an image showing a band of rain across Europe that was leaving her country almost entirely dry. Hundreds of readers didn't see the...
Anchor's Weather Remarks
Don't Look Up
Jul 21, 2022 10:54 AM CDT
Anchor's Weather Remarks Likened to
Don't Look Up
'I want us to be happy about the weather,' UK presenter said after heat wave warning
- Since its launch last year, the GB News channel in the UK has often been compared to Fox News—but critics say a bizarre exchange last week was more like
Don't Look Up
. In video that has gone viral since record-breaking heat reached the UK earlier this week, meteorologist...
Has Eerie Timing
Jul 15, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Meteorologist Has Eerie Timing With Warning
Lights go out as KRTK's Travis Herzog warns of power shortages in Texas
- Few meteorological forecasts end up being as spot on as the one Travis Herzog delivered this week for KTRK in Houston. On Wednesday, Herzog was warning viewers about excessive heat and how it could lead to power shortages when, yes, the power went out in the studio. When you "...
TV Weatherman Calls Kids
on Air With Tornado Warning
Apr 1, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
TV Weatherman Calls Kids on Air With Tornado Warning
Everyone in DC meteorologist Doug Kammerer's home is OK after Thursday storm
- Powerful storms swept through the area around Washington, DC, this week, prompting multiple tornado warnings , but for one local TV weatherman reporting on the extreme conditions, it all hit a little too close to home—literally. Per NPR , Doug Kammerer, the head meteorologist for NBC Washington, was on air Thursday...
As He Reported
Live on Tornadoes,
Some Personal Bad News
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
As He Reported Live on Tornadoes, Some Personal Bad News
James Spann was covering dangerous Alabama twister when he found out his home was in its path
- Alabamians relied this week on local reporting to keep them abreast of the severe weather pummeling their state, including a series of tornadoes that killed at least five. One meteorologist in particular not only offered coverage of the twisters—he found out while on the air that his own home...
Forecast Gets Interrupted
May 1, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Meteorologist's at-Home Forecast Gets Interrupted
Brody emerges a star on Fox 13
- Brody the dog really wanted a scratch. The golden retriever interrupted a weather forecast on Fox 13 as meteorologist Paul Dellegatto filmed in his home office, per Mashable . Dellegatto was reporting the weather last month when the camera suddenly focused on Brody; the dog had approached Dellegatto, who was sitting...
Sues City, Mayor
Nov 19, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Meteorologist Fired for Racial Slur Sues City, Mayor
Jeremy Kappell claims defamation from the city of Rochester, NY, and Mayor Lovely Warren
- He's already sued the TV station that fired him for uttering a racial slur on the air in January; now a meteorologist has filed a lawsuit against the city of Rochester, NY, and its mayor. Per the
Democrat and Chronicle
, Jeremy Kappell is suing the city and Mayor Lovely...
Out of Job
Jun 13, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Meteorologist Out of Job After Dissing 'Code Reds'
Sinclair Broadcast Group fires longtime Illinois weatherman Joe Crain over corporate rule
- An Illinois meteorologist took issue with a corporate policy mandating "Code Red" weather alerts that he felt were over the top. And now, after 15 years at WCIS in Springfield, Joe Crain has lost his job. "Joe was let go," a rep for the CNN affiliate's...
Meteorologist Left Behind
a 30-Page Suicide Note
Feb 28, 2019 6:34 AM CST
Meteorologist Left Behind a 30-Page Suicide Note
After weeks of complications, Jessica Starr 'started to withdraw from life'
- The family of a TV meteorologist who committed suicide after undergoing laser eye surgery says a series of videos found on her phone and a 30-page suicide note make clear her Dec. 12 suicide was linked to her Lasik SMILE surgery in October. "There was nothing else that we...
Weighs In on Fired
Jan 10, 2019 6:10 PM CST
MLK's Daughter Weighs In on Fired Meteorologist
Bernice King doesn't think Jeremy Kappell should've been fired for on-air racial slur
- First Al Roker came to Jeremy Kappell's defense. Now the meteorologist who was fired for saying a racial slur on air has another big name standing up for him, the AP reports: Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter. Bernice King told TMZ Thursday she doesn't think the...
Al Roker Backs
Jan 10, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Al Roker Backs Meteorologist on 'Unfortunate Flub'
'Today' weatherman says Jeremy Kappell should be given chance to apologize for racial slur
- "Anyone who has done live TV and screwed up" should be understanding of a meteorologist's use of a racial slur during a Friday broadcast, for which he was fired , according to a Wednesday tweet . The defense of former WHEC chief meteorologist Jeremy Kappell was surprising, considering its source:...
He Calls It
Jan 7, 2019 4:46 PM CST
TV Station Calls It Racial Slur. He Calls It a 'Flub'
Meteorologist fired over apparent slur in reference to Martin Luther King Jr.
- A TV meteorologist has been given the boot over an apparent racial slur used on air. Jeremy Kappell, former chief meteorologist at Rochester, New York's WHEC, can be heard in video posted to social media as seeming to refer to a local park as "Martin Luther Coon King...
Puts Lasik Risks in Spotlight
Dec 18, 2018 12:49 PM CST
Meteorologist's Suicide Puts Lasik Risks in Spotlight
Jessica Starr expressed she was struggling after having the procedure in October
- While it hasn't yet been established whether the Lasik-type eye surgery a 35-year-old meteorologist had in October contributed to her Dec. 12 suicide , Jessica Starr's death is putting the surgery's rare complications into the spotlight. The Lasik SMILE surgery Starr had was approved by the FDA in...
As Storm Nears, Florida County
Doesn't Want to See This Guy
Oct 9, 2018 12:51 PM CDT
As Storm Nears, Florida County Doesn't Want to See This Guy
Florida sheriff posts fake trespass warning for Weather Channel's Jim Cantore
- The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore is usually on the scene when there's a big storm—so, as Florida prepares for Hurricane Michael, one sheriff's office is letting the meteorologist know he's not welcome. The Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office posted a "Trespass Warning" for...
Anchor's Skull in Fight
Aug 31, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Meteorologist Allegedly Fractured Anchor's Skull in Fight
Alleged shove left anchor Erica Bivens with a ruptured eardrum, too
- A WSAZ television meteorologist's 10-day outlook just got a little stormier. Chelsea Ambriz, 26, was charged with misdemeanor battery after allegedly shoving co-worker Erica Bivens on Sunday in Charleston, WV. Bivens, a news anchor, is said to have suffered a ruptured eardrum and skull fracture. While the
Battered Houston Donates $20K
to Give Weather Guy a Break
Sep 3, 2017 9:03 AM CDT
Battered Houston Donates $20K to Give Weather Guy a Break
GoFundMe page to send Jeff Lindner on vacation smashes its modest $4K goal
- There amid the flooding, the loss, and the devastation of Hurricane Harvey was Houston meteorologist Jeff Lindner, working nonstop to give residents the latest on the storm. And rather than the more typical and cliched complaining about the weather man, a grateful populace decided to chip in to give Lindner...
Ruled a Suicide
Jan 26, 2016 9:54 AM CST
Weatherman's Dramatic Crash Ruled a Suicide
Nicholas Wiltgen drove through parking garage wall in Atlanta
- "Millions read his work every week and were better for it." That's what the Weather Channel had to say after the death of a senior meteorologist in Atlanta. Nicholas Wiltgen, who worked at the company for 15 years, died Sunday when his vehicle drove through a wall...
Wear the Same Dress
in case you missed it
Nov 28, 2015 1:32 PM CST
Why Meteorologists Wear the Same Dress
Here's why they love the "Tunic Pencil Sheath Dress"
- Sartorial conspiracy, anyone? An Imgur user has revealed the fact that many female meteorologists are wearing the same $23 dress—which, it turns out, says a lot about their job and the attitudes of fans. Described on Amazon as a "Stretch Tunic Pencil Sheath Dress," it's a...
These Troops Go
Behind Enemy Lines
to Check the Weather
Feb 9, 2015 3:30 PM CST
These Troops Go Behind Enemy Lines to Check the Weather
Air Force's combat weathermen can make or break a critical mission
- Before US special operations forces raided the Pakistani compound where Osama bin Laden was hiding out in 2011, there was likely at least one other type of specialist with boots on the ground: a weatherman. The Air Force's SOWTs—special operations weather technicians—are some of the military's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.