Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nov 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
NASA's Surprise Find: This Asteroid's 'Dinky Sidekick'
Lucy spacecraft discovers 'mini moon' during flyby of Dinkinesh space hunk
- The little asteroid visited by NASA's Lucy spacecraft this week had a big surprise for scientists. It turns out that the asteroid Dinkinesh has a dinky sidekick—a mini moon. The discovery was made during Wednesday's flyby of Dinkinesh, 300 million miles away in the main asteroid belt...
First to Suffer
Oct 31, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
First to Suffer From Asteroid That Doomed Dinos: Plants
Dust particles in atmosphere shut down photosynthesis for 2 years: researchers
- It wasn't so much the asteroid impact that killed 75% of the species on Earth some 66 million years ago, but the fact that, for the following two years, little, if anything, could grow. That's according to research offering the first in-depth study of dust particles thrown into...
NASA Capsule Delivers
First Asteroid Samples
Sep 24, 2023 10:36 AM CDT
NASA Capsule Delivers First Asteroid Samples
Rubble was collected from Bennu in deep space
- NASA's first asteroid samples fetched from deep space parachuted into the Utah desert Sunday morning to cap a seven-year, $1 billion journey. In a flyby of Earth, the Osiris-Rex spacecraft released the sample capsule from 63,000 miles out. The small capsule landed four hours later on a remote...
Chunk of Asteroid That Could
Take Chunk Out of Earth Nears
Sep 20, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Chunk of Asteroid That Could Take Chunk Out of Earth Nears
OSIRIS-REx's sample from near-Earth asteroid Bennu to arrive in Utah on Sunday
- There's a 1 in 2,700 chance that an asteroid known for its close flybys of Earth could smack into the planet in the next 160 years or so, which isn't very reassuring. NASA hopes, however, that the upcoming conclusion of a seven-year mission to retrieve samples from...
Asteroid Has a
of Hitting Earth
on Feb. 14, 2046
Mar 10, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Asteroid Has a Small Chance of Hitting Earth on Feb. 14, 2046
NASA says DB 2023 isn't 'particularly concerning'
- There's a very small but real chance that a space rock could ruin a lot of romantic evenings 23 years from now, according to NASA's Planetary Defense Office. The newly discovered asteroid, DB 2023, has a 1 in 560 chance of hitting Earth on Valentine's Day 2046,...
the 7th Time Ever
Feb 14, 2023 11:44 AM CST
Asteroid Was Correctly Forecast, Only the 7th Time Ever
ESA gave people a heads-up, and UK sky watchers got a treat
- The European Space Agency dashed off what turned out to be a pretty impressive prediction—and people who live near the English Channel and paid attention were rewarded in the wee hours of Monday. That's when a small asteroid streaked through the sky and put on a light show...
THOR Might Save
Us All One Day
Jun 5, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
THOR Might Save Us All One Day
The asteroid-hunting algorithm, not the superhero
- Ed Lu is a former NASA astronaut with a PhD in applied physics, and he is worried about near-Earth asteroids—space rocks at least 460 feet in diameter that have been nudged by gravity into Earth’s neighborhood. According to the
New York Times ,
only 40% of the estimated 25,...
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died
on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Apr 7, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Leg was among many finds at North Dakota site that preserved the 'death blow'
- The asteroid that hit the Earth around 66 million years ago brought an abrupt end to the Cretaceous period—and to the life of a
dinosaur whose incredibly well-preserved leg was found at a North Dakota site. Researchers say they can pinpoint the day of the dinosaur's death...
Is Now On
Its Way to
Nov 24, 2021 6:32 AM CST
NASA Rocket Is Now On Its Way to Dimorphos
Spacecraft has launched on mission to slam into asteroid, knock it off course
NASA's experiment to have a spacecraft smash into an asteroid is underway, but we won't know if it's successful for about a year. The
reports that the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, part of the agency's DART mission to slam into the Dimorphos space rock,...
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Small Space Traveler May Be a First
Rock the size of a Ferris wheel appears to be a long-lost piece of the moon in orbit around sun
- It's not the first asteroid near Earth to show up in astronomers' telescopes, but this one appears to have a rare distinction. The rock dubbed with the Hawaiian name Kamo`oalewa seems to have come not from deep space, but from our own moon, reports the
. Assuming the theory...
NASA's Lucy Is Now in
the Sky, With Diamonds
Oct 16, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
NASA's Lucy Is Now in the Sky, With Diamonds
Spacecraft is on 12-year mission to explore Jupiter's Trojan asteroids
- A NASA spacecraft named Lucy rocketed into the sky with diamonds Saturday on a 12-year quest to explore eight asteroids. Seven of the mysterious space rocks are among swarms of asteroids sharing Jupiter's orbit, thought to be the pristine leftovers of planetary formation. An Atlas V rocket blasted off...
12-Year Asteroid Mission
Begins This Weekend
Oct 14, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
12-Year Asteroid Mission Begins This Weekend
NASA launches 'Lucy' toward Jupiter
- Attention asteroid aficionados: NASA is set to launch a series of spacecraft to visit and even bash some of the solar system’s most enticing space rocks. A robotic trailblazer named Lucy is up first, blasting off this weekend on a 12-year cruise to swarms of asteroids near Jupiter—unexplored...
Have New Tool
in Hunt for
Apr 27, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Astronomers Have New Tool in Hunt for Asteroids
New telescope part of initiative by European Southern Observatory to track dangerous ones
- Scientists said Tuesday they've switched on a new telescope at the European Southern Observatory as part of an effort to create an automated network for spotting asteroids that might pose a risk to Earth, per the AP . The 22-inch TBT2 telescope that's now seen "first light" at...
Odds of Hitting
Nov 13, 2020 2:39 PM CST
Asteroid's Odds of Hitting Earth Just Improved
Though they're still slim for the year 2068
- In nine years, a big asteroid will come close enough to Earth that it will be visible with the naked eye. In 2036, Apophis will make a return trip, and Earthlings will again be safe. The year 2068, however, might be a different story. Scientists just made some new calculations...
I Don't Think
It's an Asteroid
Oct 11, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
NASA Expert: That Asteroid? I Don't Think It's an Asteroid
Paul Chodas looks closely at that thing headed our way
- The jig may be up for an "asteroid" that's expected to get nabbed by Earth's gravity and become a mini moon next month, the AP reports. Instead of a cosmic rock, the newly discovered object appears to be an old rocket from a failed moon-landing mission 54...
Historic Asteroid First Was
'Better Than Perfect'
Jul 11, 2019 1:07 AM CDT
Historic Asteroid First Was 'Better Than Perfect'
Japan's Hayabusa2 collected underground samples
- Japan's space agency says data transmitted from the Hayabusa2 spacecraft indicated it successfully landed on a distant asteroid Thursday and completed its historic mission of collecting underground samples that scientists hope will provide clues to the origin of the solar system. Hayabusa2 had created itself a landing crater in...
Scientists: Asteroid a Mile Wide
Hit Earth, and We Know Where
Jun 10, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
Scientists: Asteroid a Mile Wide Hit Earth, and We Know Where
Researchers think 12-mile-wide crater is underwater off coast of Scotland
- About 10 years ago, scientists found clues of a violent asteroid impact with Earth, and now they say they've finally figured out where the event happened. The
reports that ground zero for the hit is 650 feet under the water between Scotland's mainland and the Outer Hebrides...
Apr 5, 2019 3:54 AM CDT
Japanese Spacecraft Bombs Asteroid
Risky mission to make crater was a success
- Japan's space agency says its Hayabusa2 spacecraft successfully dropped an explosive designed to make a crater on an asteroid and collect its underground samples to find possible clues to the origin of the solar system. Friday's crater mission was the riskiest for Hayabusa2, as it had to immediately...
Asteroid Far Brighter Than
Moon Dazzles Over US
Aug 20, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Asteroid Far Brighter Than Moon Dazzles Over US
NASA meteor cameras capture it above Alabama
- People up late in the Southeast one night last week had the chance to catch a brief but spectacular light show. In a Facebook post , NASA says its meteor cameras picked up a small asteroid about 1:19am Friday that burned through the night sky and would have been tough...
Water on Earth
Older Than Sun,
Sep 26, 2014 2:36 PM CDT
Water on Earth Older Than Sun, Earth Itself
Water molecules more than 4.5 billion years old are in our drinking water, oceans
- If you live and die by food and beverage expiration dates, you might not want to know how old some of our drinking water is. A study finds that 30% to 50% of the water found in our taps and oceans contains molecules created more than 4.5 billion years...
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.