Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NFL Says It Knew Eminem
Would Take a Knee
Feb 14, 2022 6:17 AM CST
NFL Says It Knew Eminem Would Take a Knee
Reports before the game suggested otherwise
- Eminem caused a social media buzz when he took a knee during the Super Bowl halftime show . It seemed to be a clear show of support for exiled QB Colin Kaepernick , and all the more interesting because of reports before the game—notably in
—that the NFL had...
Memoir Opens Up
Can of Worms
on RBG Interview
Oct 15, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
Katie Couric Memoir Opens Up Can of Worms on RBG Interview
Journalist admits she edited out controversial remark on athletes who kneel to 'protect' Ginsburg
- Katie Couric's memoir
is due out Oct. 26, though where she went within its pages has started a journalistic ethics firestorm. The controversy centers on a 2016 interview Couric had with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, in which the Supreme Court justice, who died in September 2020, made some...
Kaepernick Brings His Fight
to the Ice Cream Aisle
Dec 11, 2020 12:11 AM CST
Kaepernick Brings His Fight to the Ice Cream Aisle
Via his own Ben & Jerry's flavor
- Colin Kaepernick now has his own ice cream flavor. Ben & Jerry's on Thursday announced "Change the Whirled," a non-dairy flavor (in honor of Kaepernick's vegan diet) coming to stores early next year, per Deadspin . The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who is still without an...
Kaepernick Jersey Honoring
Protest Sells Out in Seconds
Sep 18, 2020 4:20 PM CDT
Kaepernick Jersey Honoring Protest Sells Out in Seconds
No. 7 represents 'something greater than football,' quarterback posts
- Fans and supporters could buy a new commemorative Colin Kaepernick jersey on Thursday—if they were really, really fast. Nike sold out online in less than a minute, CBS reports. The all-black, No. 7 jersey marks the fourth anniversary of the first time the former quarterback took a knee during...
In Empty NFL Stadiums,
Teams Take Their Stand
Sep 13, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
In Empty NFL Stadiums, Teams Take Their Stand
Some teams don't even appear for the national anthem
- Seattle's Jason Myers kicked the ball through the end zone to open Seattle's season at Atlanta. No one else on the field moved. Instead, the Seahawks and Falcons dropped to one knee where they had stood. After years of pleading with their league to act against systemic racism,...
Navy Investigating 'Target'
Used in K9 Attack Demo
Aug 3, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Navy Investigating 'Target' Used in K9 Attack Demo
Military dogs went after man dressed as Colin Kaepernick at National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum
- In addition to US service members, military dogs are sent onto battlefields to help defeat foes, and a demonstration last year at a Florida nonprofit was meant to show how that's done. But video has now emerged of that demo in Fort Pierce at the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum,...
Netflix Is Making a Series
on Kaepernick's Early Life
Jun 29, 2020 1:14 PM CDT
Netflix Is Making a Series on Kaepernick's Early Life
6-part series will focus on his high school years
- A new Netflix series will look at the experiences that made civil rights activist Colin Kaepernick the man he is today. The six-part Netflix series
Colin in Black & White
will focus on the NFL quarterback's high school years and his life as an African-American child adopted by a...
Protesters Just Got 'Substantial'
Boost From Colin Kaepernick
Jun 20, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Protesters Just Got 'Substantial' Boost From Colin Kaepernick
NFL free agent's charity to help pay legal costs for those who broke curfew in Minnesota, elsewhere
- Soon after protests over the killing of George Floyd started sweeping the nation, Colin Kaepernick set up the Know Your Rights Camp Legal Defense Initiative , via his charity , to coordinate "with top defense lawyers and civil rights lawyers nationwide to provide legal resources for those in need." Now,...
Goodell Finally Brings Up
the Elephant in the Room
Jun 16, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Goodell Finally Brings Up the Elephant in the Room
NFL commissioner says 'I welcome' a team signing Colin Kaepernick
- Some people weren't thrilled that Roger Goodell's recent statement condemning racism and police brutality never brought up Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback who started that conversation in the NFL by kneeling as the national anthem played before games. Finally, Goodell is directly addressing the man whose name he neglected...
US Soccer Drops Rule
Jun 10, 2020 7:20 PM CDT
US Soccer Drops Rule Against Kneeling
Megan Rapinoe had followed the NFL's Colin Kaepernick in protest
- US Soccer's board of directors has voted to repeal a policy that required national team players to stand during the national anthem, a rule adopted after Megan Rapinoe kneeled in support of Colin Kaepernick. The board made the decision during a conference call, US Soccer announced Wednesday. Policy 604-1...
NFL to Speak
Up. They Got
Jun 6, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Players Asked NFL to Speak Up. They Got Their Wish
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell condemns racism, police brutality—but no mention of Kap
- The ripple effects of the protests for George Floyd have made their way to the NFL. On Thursday, a roster of top players, including the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson, made a short video imploring the league to speak up on racism and police brutality. On Friday,...
Reddit Board, for
'Family and Country'
Jun 5, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Co-Founder Leaves Reddit Board, for 'Family and Country'
Alexis Ohanian says he thinking of what he'll someday tell his daughter
- Fifteen years after co-founding Reddit, Alexis Ohanian made announcements Friday that he said were long overdue. He resigned from the company's board, KNTV reports, and told Reddit that his successor should be a black person. "I'm doing this for me, for my family, and for my country,...
Jun 5, 2020 1:34 AM CDT
Drew Brees Apologizes Yet Again
New Orleans Saints quarterback still under fire after his first apology
- Drew Brees' first apology didn't go over well with everyone , and now the New Orleans Saints quarterback is trying again. "I know there’s not much that I can say that would make things any better right now, but I just want you to see in my eyes...
Reaction to Goodell's
Take on George
Jun 1, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Reaction to Goodell's Take on George Floyd: 'Save the Bulls---'
Considering what happened with Colin Kaepernick, people aren't having commissioner's statement
- The NFL commissioner vowed over the weekend to work on the "systemic issues" driving people to demonstrate over George Floyd's death and that of other black Americans, but it didn't go over too well. In a statement posted Saturday, Roger Goodell offered his condolences to the Floyd...
LeBron Posts Photo of
Kaepernick: 'Do You
May 27, 2020 12:11 PM CDT
LeBron Posts Photo of Kaepernick: 'Do You Understand NOW?'
Star responds to death of George Floyd
- Thousands of people in Minneapolis protested the death of George Floyd in police custody Tuesday night—and sports stars including LeBron James expressed their anger on social media. On Instagram , James posted an image of a white police officer kneeling on Floyd's neck next to an image of former...
Kaepernick Still Wants to Play.
In the Meantime, a Memoir
Feb 13, 2020 12:34 PM CST
Kaepernick Still Wants to Play. In the Meantime, a Memoir
Book will be released via his newly launched Kaepernick Publishing company
- Colin Kaepernick still hasn't found a new home within the NFL, but that doesn't mean he's been sitting home twiddling his thumbs. The in-limbo quarterback announced on Thursday what's next on his plate: He's launching a new publishing company, Kaepernick Publishing, and will be releasing...
Fox Accused of Scuttling
Super Bowl Commercial
Jan 31, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Fox Accused of Scuttling Super Bowl Commercial
PETA had it made as a call against 'speciesism'
- PETA says its Colin Kaepernick-themed ad for the Super Bowl is getting a frosty reception over at Fox and might not air at all, TMZ reports. The animal rights group's ad calls for an end to speciesism—in their words, to "challenge people to expand their concept of...
Kaepernick Finally Lands
a (Massively) Scoring Gig
Dec 24, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Kaepernick Finally Lands a (Massively) Scoring Gig
His Nike sneakers with a message sell out in a day
- Colin Kaepernick hasn't played in the NFL since Barack Obama was president, but he is still a massive hit with Nike customers. The company's " Air Force 1 x Colin Kaepernick " shoe quickly sold out online after hitting the market Monday, though some stores might still have...
Report: No NFL Offers for
Kaepernick After Workout
Nov 18, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Report: No NFL Offers for Kaepernick After Workout
But he still accomplished his goal, allies say
- Free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick's workout for NFL team representatives did not go smoothly —and insiders say it didn't bring him any closer to returning to the league. A source tells NBC Sports that the 32-year-old has not been contacted by any team with an offer of a...
Doesn't Go So Smoothly
Nov 16, 2019 5:58 PM CST
Kaepernick Workout Doesn't Go So Smoothly
The ex-San Francisco 49ers quarterback changed venues at the last minute
- Colin Kaepernick's much-publicized workout for at least 10 NFL teams ran into trouble Saturday and nearly didn't happen, TMZ reports. The quarterback-turned-activist had a noon workout scheduled at the Atlanta Falcons facility in Flowery Branch, Georgia, but his reps said the NFL asked him to sign an "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Musk Accused of Exposing Himself to Flight Attendant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.