Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
US 'Gesture of Support'
Feb 28, 2022 4:29 PM CST
Taiwan Welcomes US 'Gesture of Support'
Bipartisan team of former defense officials to offer assurances during Ukraine fight
- An American team of former defense and security officials is headed to Taipei to demonstrate that, despite the attention-consuming battle in Ukraine, the US has not forgotten Taiwan. The government has raised the alert level on the island out of concern that China, which claims Taiwan, will make a move...
Reveals Big Weight
Loss, but People
Jan 8, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Mike Pompeo Reveals Big Weight Loss, but People Have Questions
Not everyone is buying ex-CIA chief's story on how he dropped 90 pounds in 6 months
- People have been whispering for months about Mike Pompeo's out-of-nowhere weight loss, first noticed in the late fall as he made various appearances. Some speculated he was sick; others wondered if he was getting in shape to make a presidential run in 2024. The former CIA director and secretary...
for 2024 Race,
Nov 29, 2021 5:07 PM CST
Trump Could Pick Anybody for 2024 Race, Aides Say
Even Republicans considering presidential campaigns just want to be No. 2, Roger Stone says
- We only think Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and other Republican politicians are mapping out presidential campaigns. Roger Stone, longtime adviser to former President Donald Trump, said it's all a show, Politico reports. "There's no question that people running for president are...
Under Trump, Foreign Gifts
Went Missing, Unrecorded
Oct 11, 2021 4:21 PM CDT
Under Trump, Foreign Gifts Went Missing, Unrecorded
Agencies are still looking for gift bags meant for G7 leaders
- The government has a specific, detailed process for handling gifts to administration officials from other nations. During President Trump's term, it often was ignored, the
New York Times
reports, starting with the requirement to log in and report the gifts. So the State Department’s inspector general is still...
Report: CIA Considered
Sep 27, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Report: CIA Considered Assassinating Assange
Yahoo investigation says former chief Pompeo was 'seeing blood'
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is currently imprisoned in London, but a Yahoo News investigation suggests things could have gone much worse for him. The story asserts that the CIA under Mike Pompeo and former President Trump considered kidnapping or even killing Assange while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian...
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey
Given to Pompeo Is Missing
Aug 5, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey Given to Pompeo Is Missing
It was a gift from the government of Japan
- A recent notice in the Federal Register list dozens of gifts from foreign governments to federal employees in 2019, all with the same reason for acceptance: "Non-acceptance would cause embarrassment to donor and US government." But the annual accounting of gifts contains one mystery: The whereabouts of a...
Vowed to Pay
Legal Fees. Then
May 24, 2021 11:28 AM CDT
Suit: Pompeo Vowed to Pay Legal Fees. Then 'Everything Changed'
Trump impeachment witness Gordon Sondland sues ex-secretary of state, US for $1.8M
- He was a standout witness in the first Trump impeachment trial. Now, Gordon Sondland is once again making headlines, thanks to a lawsuit he's filed over his testimony in the 2019 proceedings. The former US ambassador to the European Union is suing ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, as well...
Broke Ethics Rules
Apr 16, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Watchdog: Pompeo Broke Ethics Rules
Staff members were asked to pick up the dog and make salon appointments, report says
- More than 100 times, Mike Pompeo or his wife, Susan, asked State Department employees to handle errands and personal tasks for them, such as booking salon appointments and picking up the family dog. The former secretary of state told investigators the requests were minor, the sort of things friends do...
Jan 19, 2021 2:42 PM CST
Pompeo: Multiculturalism Is Anti-American
Outgoing secretary of state's tweet doesn't go over well with some diplomats
- Outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made headlines for two pronouncements on Tuesday, one about foreign policy and the other about American values:
Pompeo lashed out anew at China on Tuesday by declaring that its policies on Muslims and ethnic minorities in the western Xinjiang region constitute "crimes
to Europe, Just
Jan 12, 2021 1:47 PM CST
Pompeo's Trip to Europe, Just Announced, Is Canceled
State Department says the Biden transition is the reason, not threats of violence
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has canceled what would have been his final official trip abroad as concerns grow over potential violence at next week's presidential inauguration, the State Department said Tuesday. Less than 18 hours after announcing that Pompeo would be traveling to Brussels on Wednesday to close...
Critics Raise Alarm on
11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Jan 12, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Critics Raise Alarm on 11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Designation of Houthi rebels as terrorists could make it harder to deliver food amid crisis
- The Trump administration just made two big foreign policy moves. The one that drew most of the headlines was the designation of Cuba as a sponsor of terrorism. The other, though, is causing plenty of consternation on Capitol Hill and among humanitarian groups. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that...
Pompeo, Trump Clash
Over Big Cyberattack
Dec 19, 2020 11:26 AM CST
Pompeo, Trump Clash Over Big Cyberattack
The president says it might have been China
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Russia was behind the grave cyberattack against the US, per the AP , the first administration official to publicly tie the Kremlin to the widespread intrusion. It's not clear exactly what the hackers were seeking, but experts say it could include nuclear secrets, blueprints...
Goes to State Dept.'s
Indoor Holiday Party
Dec 16, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Barely Anyone Goes to State Dept.'s Indoor Holiday Party
More than 900 were reportedly invited
- Perhaps America's appetite for attending indoor parties during a pandemic is waning? The
reports an annual State Department holiday party that was to be hosted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his wife had anemic turnout on Tuesday. Of the 900-plus guests invited, about 70 RSVP'...
Dec 11, 2020 4:35 PM CST
Watchdog Mostly Clears Travel by Susan Pompeo
Six of the eight trips weren't properly approved, report says
- An independent probe into the travel of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's wife has concluded that the trips with her husband on official business did not violate federal ethics rules. But, in a report released Thursday, the department's acting inspector general, Matthew Klimow, also determined that the State...
PM Met Secretly
Nov 23, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Reports: Israeli PM Met Secretly With Saudi Crown Prince
Saudi Arabia is denying the meeting, which also reportedly included Mike Pompeo
- A secret rendezvous between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also in attendance, reportedly took place Sunday, Israeli sources say. Axios reports that flight data showed a private jet leaving Tel Aviv Sunday evening, arriving in the...
US Exits Open Skies
Treaty With Russia
Nov 22, 2020 8:54 AM CST
US Exits Open Skies Treaty With Russia
And Trump administration is making moves that could make it difficult for Biden to re-enter it
- After Sunday, the United States and Russia will have only one major treaty between them, reports Fox News , as the US followed through on its vow six months ago to pull out of the Open Skies treaty over what it blamed on Moscow's repeated violations of the pact. The...
A Big US
First in Israel,
and a 'Major
Nov 19, 2020 9:10 AM CST
A Big US First in Israel, and a 'Major Policy Shift'
Mike Pompeo is first US diplomat to visit Israeli settlement in occupied West Bank
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday became the first top US diplomat to visit an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank as the State Department announced that products from the settlements can be labeled "Made in Israel" in a major policy shift. The two moves reflected the...
Be to Another
Nov 10, 2020 3:24 PM CST
Pompeo: Only Transition Will Be to Another Trump Term
Secretary of state says other nations understand that 'this takes time'
- No transition, no problem. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters Tuesday, when asked if his agency is ready to work with President-elect Joe Biden's team on the transfer of power, "There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration." Pompeo's job is dealing...
Vatican Tells Pompeo
He Can't Meet Pope
Oct 1, 2020 4:51 AM CDT
Vatican Tells Pompeo He Can't Meet Pope
He met some of the pontiff's critics instead
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was denied an audience with Pope Francis during his visit to the Vatican this week—but he was welcomed by the pontiff's critics. Vatican officials said it is normal for the pope not to meet political figures during election periods, though they also expressed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
Another City Angry Over a Police Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.