Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
college admissions bribery scandal
Stories 1 - 20 |
College Scandal Mastermind
Finally Learns His Fate
Jan 4, 2023 2:54 PM CST
College Scandal Mastermind Finally Learns His Fate
Prosecutors sought 6 years for Rick Singer
- The mastermind of the college admissions cheating scandal was sentenced to more than three years in prison Wednesday—nearly four years after he pleaded guilty to charges including racketeering conspiracy. William "Rick" Singer, who admitted bribing coaches and exam administrators to get the children of the wealthy into elite...
Oct 29, 2021 2:11 AM CDT
Internet Not Impressed With Lori Loughlin's Good Deed
Actress paid for 2 students to attend college
- In addition to her prison sentence, probation, community service, and fines, Lori Loughlin made amends following her participation in the college admissions bribery scandal in another way: She paid the way through college for two students, a source tells
. The private arrangement between the actress and the students cost...
Oct 8, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
'Varsity Blues' Trial Brings Guilty Verdicts
Case against parents Gamal Abdelaziz, John Wilson was the first to go to trial
After deliberating for about 10 hours, jurors found two parents guilty Friday in the college admissions bribery scandal. Gamal Abdelaziz and John Wilson were convicted on fraud and bribery conspiracy charges, the AP reports, and Wilson was also convicted of other counts of bribery, wire fraud, and filing a...
Lori Loughlin Returns to TV
Sep 28, 2021 4:18 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin Returns to TV
Actress to reprise role she had before college admissions scandal
- With her prison term completed and her daughter already appearing on TV, Lori Loughlin is planning an acting comeback. She'll be featured in
When Hope Calls: A Country Christmas
, scheduled for Dec. 18 on a new network, GAC Family, Deadline reports. Loughlin will again play the Hallmark character Abigail...
Lori Loughlin's Husband
Is Out of Prison, Too
Apr 3, 2021 12:19 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin's Husband Is Out of Prison, Too
Mossimo Giannulli reports to a halfway house to finish college bribery sentence
- Fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli has been released from a California prison and is at a halfway house outside Los Angeles following his imprisonment for his role in a college admissions bribery scheme , per the AP . Giannulli, 57, is married to former
star Lori Loughlin. They pleaded guilty last...
Mar 19, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
UCLA Coach Sentenced in Admissions Scandal
Jorge Salcedo, who collected $200K in bribes, told judge he couldn't afford his house
- A former UCLA men's soccer coach was sentenced to eight months behind bars Friday for pocketing $200,000 in bribes to help applicants get into the school as bogus athletic recruits. Jorge Salcedo told the judge that he joined in the college admissions bribery scheme because he was desperate...
Lori Loughlin Is
Released From Prison
Dec 28, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Lori Loughlin Is Released From Prison
She served nearly 2 months in college bribery scandal
- Lori Loughlin is a free woman again. The
actress was released from a federal prison in California on Monday after serving nearly two months in the college admissions bribery scandal , reports
. Her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, is scheduled to be released in April after his own...
With Her Parents in Prison,
Olivia Jade Opens Up
Dec 8, 2020 1:45 PM CST
With Her Parents in Prison, Olivia Jade Opens Up
'We messed up,' she says of herself and parents Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli
- Olivia Jade Giannulli appeared on Jada Pinkett Smith's Facebook Watch show Red Table Talk Tuesday in hopes of "leav[ing] it on the table." It being her family's part in the college admissions scandal, a role that earned parents Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli prison time.
And Now, a New College
Nov 17, 2020 12:10 AM CST
And Now, a New College Admissions Scandal
Ex-Harvard coach, father charged in $1.5M scam
- The former fencing coach at Harvard and a wealthy Maryland businessman were arrested Monday on accusations that the coach took $1.5 million in bribes in exchange for helping the businessman get his two sons into the Ivy League school as recruited fencers, the AP reports. Peter Brand, 67, who...
What Lori Loughlin's
Prison Day Is Like
Nov 5, 2020 6:27 AM CST
What Lori Loughlin's Prison Day Is Like
One report says 'Full House' actress is 'a wreck'; another report says that's an exaggeration
- Hoping to have a fresh start by 2021, Lori Loughlin reported early last week to start her two-month prison sentence for her role in the college admissions bribery scandal . Varying reports are now emerging on how she's doing on the inside, with one source telling
Starts Her Sentence Early
Oct 30, 2020 1:51 PM CDT
Inmate 77827-112 Starts Her Sentence Early
Lori Loughlin reports for two-month sentence in college admissions scandal
- Lori Loughlin, inmate 77827-112, has begun serving her two-month prison sentence in the college admissions bribery scandal. The
actress, who wasn't due at the federal prison in Dublin, California, until Nov. 19, turned herself in Friday, NBC News reports. Her term is to begin with a coronavirus...
Has Paid Full
Debt to Society
Oct 26, 2020 12:04 AM CDT
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Actress' sentence now 100% complete
- Felicity Huffman is free and clear. The actress' rep tells
that Huffman has completed her full sentence for the college admissions scandal; that included the 14-day prison sentence of which Huffman served 11 days plus 250 hours of community service and one year of supervised release. TMZ reports that...
Audit: UC Admitted
64 Students as 'Favors'
Sep 22, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
Audit: UC Admitted 64 Students as 'Favors'
State audit came in response to college admissions scandal
- A California state audit has found that the University of California wrongly admitted at least 64 wealthy students over the past six years as “favors to donors, family, and friends." The California State Auditor also found in the audit released Tuesday that campus staff falsely designated 22 of...
Lori Loughlin Sentenced
to Prison in College Scam
Aug 21, 2020 1:52 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin Sentenced to Prison in College Scam
She will serve 2 months, and husband Mossimo Giannulli will serve 5 months
- Aunt Becky is going to prison, though only for 2 months. Actress Lori Loughlin of
fame received the sentence Friday over her role in the college admissions scam , reports the AP . Prior to her sentencing, husband Mossimo Giannulli, a clothing designer, received a sentence of 5 months, per...
Waits for Judge
to Decide on
May 22, 2020 4:34 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin Waits for Judge to Decide on Guilty Pleas
After more than a year of denials, couple drops claims of innocence in admissions scam
- Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, became the 24th and 25th parents to plead guilty in the college admissions scandal on Friday, but their pleas aren't official yet. A judge in Massachusetts told the actress and the fashion designer that he can't accept their pleas until he'...
Lori Loughlin to Plead Guilty,
Serve Time Behind Bars
May 21, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
Lori Loughlin to Plead Guilty, Serve Time Behind Bars
'Full House' star's husband, Mossimo Giannulli, will also plead guilty
- For more than a year, it looked like Lori Loughlin would fight the charges against her in the college admissions bribery scandal. Apparently, she's changed her mind: Per the
Los Angeles Times
and ABC News , the 55-year-old
actress and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, will plead guilty to...
Judge Passes on Dismissing
Charges Against Loughlin
May 8, 2020 4:20 PM CDT
Judge Passes on Dismissing Charges Against Loughlin
Defense had argued misconduct by FBI agents
- A judge declined Friday to dismiss charges against actress Lori Loughlin, her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, and other prominent parents accused of cheating the college admissions process who argue they were entrapped by federal authorities. US District Judge Nathaniel Gorton rejected the defense's bid to toss the indictment...
Judge in Loughlin
Apr 18, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Judge in Loughlin Case: 'Disturbing' Defense Allegations
Federal judge wants more info from prosecutors on claims FBI investigators asked Rick Singer to lie
- Lori Loughlin and other parents involved in the college admissions bribery scandal have been trying to get charges against them dropped , claiming misconduct by FBI investigators, and a federal judge now wants more information from prosecutors, calling the allegations "serious and disturbing." Defense attorneys say that Loughlin and...
Apr 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Judge Releases Admissions Scam Convict Early
Toby Macfarlane's lawyers said he was at risk in prison during pandemic
- A parent sentenced to six months in prison for participating in the college admissions bribery scheme is getting to go home early because of the coronavirus pandemic, a federal judge has ruled. Toby Macfarlane, a former real estate executive from Del Mar, California, will be released to home confinement after...
It's Time to Toss Charges
Mar 26, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin: It's Time to Toss Charges
She and other accused parents say ringleader's notes prove they're innocent
- As of now, Lori Loughlin and her husband are scheduled to go on trial in October in the college admissions scandal . But on Wednesday night in Boston, Loughlin and other accused parents asked a judge to dismiss the charges against them, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The request revolves around...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.