Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
White House Announces
Winter COVID Plan
Dec 15, 2022 8:26 AM CST
White House Announces Winter COVID Plan
Free home test program is being reinstated
- With COVID cases rising yet again, the federal government is bringing back its program to mail free home test kits on request. "In the absence of Congress providing additional funding for the nation’s COVID-19 response, the Administration has acted with its limited existing funding to add more at-home...
Oct 31, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Walensky Tests Positive Again
CDC director returns to isolation with mild COVID-19 symptoms
- The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is back in isolation at home, after testing positive again for COVID-19. Dr. Rochelle Walensky, 53, first had a positive test on Oct 21. She then tested negative after completing a regimen of the antiviral Paxlovid, but mild symptoms returned...
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
Biden Tests Negative
but Still Will Isolate
Aug 6, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Biden Tests Negative but Still Will Isolate
President hasn't left the White House for 17 days
- President Biden's daily coronavirus test came back negative on Saturday, after he contracted what his doctor has called a rebound COVID-19 case. Dr. Kevin O'Connor wrote that Biden is feeling well, CNN reports. Still, he said, the president "will continue his strict isolation measures pending a second...
Second Straight Positive Test
Will Keep Biden in Isolation
Jul 31, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Second Straight Positive Test Will Keep Biden in Isolation
Doctor refers to infection as a rebound case
: For the second day in a row, President Biden has tested positive for COVID-19, his doctor said Sunday. Dr. Kevin O'Connor said in a letter that the president's "rebound positivity" wasn't surprising, CBS News reports. It occurs, though not often, among patients who've been...
Scientists Find Much Cuter
Way to Sniff Out COVID
Jun 3, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Scientists Find Much Cuter Way to Sniff Out COVID
Canines trained to smell for virus correctly IDed 97% of positive cases, 100% of asymptomatic ones
- Suspect you have COVID but don't feel up to dragging yourself out to an urgent care for testing? Sometime in the future, you may be able to simply call your dog over. At least, that's what researchers are hoping after they found that dogs trained to sniff out...
You Can Get 8 More
Free COVID Tests
May 17, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
You Can Get 8 More Free COVID Tests
Government announces kits are again available
- The Biden administration on Tuesday announced a third round of free at-home COVID tests. This time, US households can get eight test kits, as opposed to four in prior rounds, per CNN . Tests can be ordered at covid.gov/tests . The White House says the government has delivered about 350 million...
Breathalyzer Can Tell if You
Have COVID in 3 Minutes
Apr 15, 2022 12:41 AM CDT
Breathalyzer Can Tell if You Have COVID in 3 Minutes
FDA grants emergency use authorization to breath test
- A coronavirus breathalyzer could soon be coming to a doctor's office, hospital, or testing site near you. For the first time, a COVID-19 breath test has been granted emergency use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration,
reports. Patients blow into tubes in a manner similar to...
In Hong Kong,
a Big Ask on COVID
Apr 2, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
In Hong Kong, a Big Ask on COVID
City wants all 7.4M residents to voluntarily test for COVID for 3 days in a row next week
- Hong Kong authorities on Saturday asked the entire population of more than 7.4 million people to voluntarily test themselves for COVID-19 at home for three days in a row starting next week. The announcement by Chief Executive Carrie Lam came as the southern Chinese city is struggling to contain...
WH Officials: There's No
Money for 4th Doses for All
Mar 23, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
WH Officials: There's No Money for 4th Doses for All
...unless Congress approves $15B in emergency funding for COVID response
- If you're 65 and older and awaiting your second COVID booster shot, or have kids under 5 who you hope can soon receive their initial vaccine, administration officials tell the
enough doses at the ready for when those approvals come in. For everyone else, though,...
You Can Order Another
Round of Free COVID Tests
Mar 8, 2022 1:44 AM CST
You Can Order Another Round of Free COVID Tests
Biden administration opens it up for repeat customers
- With nearly half of the 500 million free COVID tests the Biden administration secured for Americans still unclaimed , US households can now sign up for a second shipment. Anyone who wants four more rapid tests can sign up at COVIDtests.gov and the US Postal Service will ship them out,...
Nearly Half of Biden's
500M Free COVID Tests
Feb 28, 2022 2:29 AM CST
Nearly Half of Biden's 500M Free COVID Tests Remain Unclaimed
It's not clear what will become of surplus
- Nearly half of the 500 million free COVID-19 tests the Biden administration recently made available to the public still have not been claimed as virus cases plummet and people feel less urgency to test, the AP reports. Wild demand swings have been a subplot in the pandemic, from vaccines to...
COVID Patient Has Tested
Positive 78 Straight Times
Feb 12, 2022 4:00 PM CST
COVID Patient Has Tested Positive 78 Straight Times
Man has asked Turkish government for help after 14 months of isolation
- Since late 2020, Muzzafer Kayasan has taken 78 COVID-19 tests. Every one has come back positive. The result is that he's spent 14 months in isolation, either in a Turkish hospital or at home, Business Insider reports. The 56-year-old leukemia patient, who's home now in Istanbul, has gotten...
Sources: Wildly Long Table for
Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Feb 11, 2022 7:20 AM CST
Sources: Wildly Long Table for Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Members of French leader's team say he feared DNA being swiped, wouldn't take COVID test
- The Citizen Kane-like table that Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin sat at earlier this week during their talks on the Russia-Ukraine standoff wasn't just symbolic. Two members of the French leader's team tell Reuters that Macron was told he had to take a Russian COVID test before meeting...
After Testing Positive, Palin
Causes a Stir at Restaurants
Jan 27, 2022 6:30 PM CST
After Testing Positive, Palin Causes a Stir at Restaurants
New York City suggests people who came in contact with her take a coronavirus test
- Restaurants like repeat customers, but they might have mixed feelings about those who have COVID-19. Sarah Palin has tested positive for the illness, which was enough to postpone the trial in her defamation lawsuit against the
New York Times
but not enough to keep her from dining out while she'...
Feds Launch Website for
Free COVID Tests Early
Jan 14, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Feds Launch Website for Free COVID Tests Early
White House says it is operating at a 'limited capacity'
: The Biden administration on Tuesday quietly launched its website for Americans to request free at-home COVID-19 tests, a day before the site was scheduled to officially go online. The website, COVIDTests.gov, now includes a link for Americans to access an order form run by the US Postal Service,...
Mom Accused of Putting Teen
in Trunk Gets Good News
Jan 14, 2022 2:02 PM CST
Mom Accused of Putting Teen in Trunk Gets Good News
Son, said to have COVID, reportedly found in car's trunk after Sarah Beam got to COVID testing site
A high school teacher in Texas got some good news after being accused of putting her teen son in her car's trunk so she wouldn't be exposed to the coronavirus. Per CNN , Harris County Judge Chris Morton ruled on Thursday there was no probable cause to charge...
Free COVID Tests Could
Start Shipping Next Week
Jan 7, 2022 4:00 AM CST
Free COVID Tests Could Start Shipping Next Week
White House is working with the USPS on the plan
- The seasonal workers brought in by the US Postal Service to deal with the onslaught of holiday mail might be sticking around to help send out hundreds of millions of COVID test kits. Sources tell the
that President Biden's administration is pushing forward with plans to send...
Stores Now Able to Up
Prices of at-Home COVID Tests
Jan 5, 2022 11:24 AM CST
Stores Now Able to Up Prices of at-Home COVID Tests
3-month White House agreement with Walgreens, Kroger, Amazon has expired
- It's pretty impossible to find an at-home COVID test in many places. More expensive, too. A three-month agreement the Biden administration made with Walmart, Amazon, and Kroger to sell at-home COVID tests at cost—$14, reports the
Wall Street Journal
—expired last month. "This is ... up to...
4 Hours in Plane
Dec 30, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Woman Spends 4 Hours in Plane Bathroom After Testing Positive
She took rapid test after getting sore throat on Icelandair flight
- A Chicago woman ended up in the Mile High Quarantine Club after she tested positive for COVID-19 on a flight between Newark. NJ, and Iceland. Marisa Fotieo told the
show Wednesday that she went to the bathroom and took a rapid test when her throat started to hurt during...
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.