Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Good News for Biden
in Classified Docs Probe
Nov 17, 2023 9:53 AM CST
Good News for Biden in Classified Docs Probe
President not expected to face charges, though he may get a tongue-lashing
- President Biden will face "harsh criticism" but no criminal charges over his handling of classified documents, according to a
Wall Street Journal
report. It meshes with CNN 's reporting that, following a year-long investigation, special counsel Robert Hur will issue a report "expected to be critical of...
Delay of Trump
Nov 2, 2023 6:28 AM CDT
Judge Ponders Delay of Trump Documents Trial
Judge Aileen Cannon to set new schedule, which could push trial until after 2024 election
- A federal judge in Florida on Wednesday raised the possibility of delaying former President Trump's classified documents trial until after the 2024 presidential election, when Trump might be able to escape the charges altogether. US District Court Judge Aileen Cannon initially set a trial date of May 20 , but...
Biden Sits for Interview in
Special Counsel Investigation
Oct 9, 2023 9:09 PM CDT
Biden Sits for Interview in Special Counsel Investigation
Voluntary interview took place over 2 days at the White House
- Almost nine months after a special counsel was appointed by Attorney General Merrick Garland to investigate President Biden's handling of classified documents from his time as vice president, Biden has been interviewed in the investigation. The interview took place Sunday and Monday at the White House and a source...
Trump Allegedly Told Nuclear
Sub Secrets to Aussie Billionaire
Oct 6, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Trump Allegedly Told Nuclear Sub Secrets to Aussie Billionaire
Federal prosecutors have since interviewed Anthony Pratt
- Former President Trump allegedly shared classified information about US nuclear submarines with a billionaire Australian businessman who then went on to share the information with more than a dozen other people, according to sources who spoke to ABC News and the
New York Times
. Anthony Pratt, a member of Trump'...
New Trouble for Ex-CIA Worker
in Biggest Classified Info Theft
Sep 14, 2023 12:22 AM CDT
New Trouble for Ex-CIA Worker in Biggest Classified Info Theft
Joshua Schulte now also convicted of possessing child sexual abuse images
- A former CIA software engineer already convicted in the biggest theft of classified information in CIA history was convicted Wednesday on charges of possessing child sexual abuse images, the AP reports. A jury returned its verdict in Manhattan federal court against Joshua Schulte after prosecutors presented proof that Schulte had...
Mar-a-Lago's Ex-IT Chief Will
Testify Against Trump: Report
Sep 7, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
Mar-a-Lago's Ex-IT Chief Will Testify Against Trump: Report
Yuscil Taveras reportedly signs deal to avoid prosecution in classified documents case
- A former attorney for the Mar-a-Lago ex-employee who flipped against his onetime boss , former President Trump, has revealed more about what allegedly went down. The former head of IT at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate, identified by media outlets as Yuscil Taveras, has agreed to testify as a witness for the...
DOJ: After 180 on Testimony,
Employee Implicated Trump
Aug 23, 2023 1:06 AM CDT
DOJ: After 180 on Testimony, Employee Implicated Trump
DOJ says Trump employee switched lawyers and immediately retracted prior testimony
- Lawyers in the classified documents case against former President Trump say that one of Trump's employees, a potential witness in the case, changed his grand jury testimony to be more incriminating for Trump. The witness, described in court documents only as Mar-a-Lago's director of information technology, has been...
Aug 16, 2023 6:28 AM CDT
Mar-a-Lago's Property Manager Enters Plea
Carlos De Oliveira denies 4 charges in classified documents case
- Mar-a-Lago's property manager pleaded not guilty Tuesday to four charges in former President Trump's classified documents case. Carlos De Oliveira, 56, is accused of conspiring with Trump to keep boxes of documents from being returned to the federal government, including through the attempted deletion of security footage . The...
Trump, Valet Enter Plea
in Documents Case
Aug 10, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Trump, Valet Enter Plea in Documents Case
They plead not guilty; arraignment of new defendant, Mar-a-Lago property boss, postponed
- Donald Trump aide Walt Nauta appeared in a federal courtroom on Thursday to plead not guilty to charges in a superseding indictment in the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case. Trump also entered a plea of not guilty to charges, including new allegations that he tried to delete security footage, but he...
Trump Has a Trial Date
in Classified Documents Case
Jul 21, 2023 9:19 AM CDT
Trump Has a Trial Date in Classified Documents Case
Judge sets trial for May 2024
- A federal judge in Florida has scheduled a trial date for next May for former President Trump in a case charging him with illegally retaining hundreds of classified documents, reports the AP . The May 20, 2024, trial date, set Friday by US District Judge Aileen Cannon, is a compromise between...
At Center of Trump Documents
Case: 1M Pages of Evidence
Jul 19, 2023 7:41 AM CDT
At Center of Trump Documents Case: 1M Pages of Evidence
And 1.5K pages of classified documents; what defense attorneys and the jury see could be limited
- US District Court Judge Aileen Cannon noted Tuesday that the volume of discovery materials to be turned over to the defense in the classified documents case against former President Trump would factor into her decision on when the former president will stand trial , per the
. There are "1,...
Trump Trial Won't
Start in December
Jul 19, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Judge Signals Trump Trial Won't Start in December
But does not indicate when classified documents trial might begin
- A federal judge signaled Tuesday that December may be too soon to begin former President Trump's landmark criminal trial concerning the mishandling of classified documents, but did not say whether she would agree to Trump's request to put the trial off until after the 2024 election , the AP...
Trump Isn't Held,
So Why Am I?
Jul 18, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Leak Suspect: Trump Isn't Held, So Why Am I?
Trump case undermines argument that Jack Teixeira is a flight and security risk: lawyers
- The Massachusetts Air National Guard member accused of sharing military secrets on social media platform Discord filed an appeal Monday, arguing he should be released from prison while awaiting trial—just like former President Trump. Jack Teixeira, 21, has been in custody since his April 13 arrest. A judge sided...
'Nearly Impossible' to Prep for
a December Trial: Trump Team
Jul 11, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
'Nearly Impossible' to Prep for a December Trial: Trump Team
Attorneys file to have trial for classified documents case pushed until after 2024 election
- Donald Trump once argued that he couldn't be investigated while he was still president for crimes he may have committed. Now, the former commander in chief has tweaked that murky policy to include not being tried for crimes while he's
for president, asking for a delay of...
Trump Valet Walt Nauta
Pleads Not Guilty
Jul 6, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
Trump Valet Walt Nauta Pleads Not Guilty
Assistant is accused of moving boxes of classified documents
- Former President Trump's valet, Walt Nauta, pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges that he helped Trump hide classified documents from federal authorities, appearing with a new Florida-based lawyer to represent him as the case moves forward. Nauta was charged alongside Trump in June in a 38-count indictment alleging the...
Ex-WH Press Chief:
I Saw Trump Show
Jul 5, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
Ex-WH Press Chief: I Saw Trump Show Classified Docs on Patio
Stephanie Grisham says former president 'has no respect for classified information'
- Asked whether it's "plausible [Donald] Trump
showing classified documents to people in private meetings," former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham pulled no punches on what she witnessed while working for the Trump administration. "The short answer is yes," Grisham replied in a Saturday...
DOJ, DNI Weigh In on Trump's
Jun 30, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
DOJ, DNI Weigh In on Trump's Declassification Claim
Agencies say there's no record that ex-president had 'standing order' to declassify Mar-a-Lago docs
- Former President Trump's claim that he had a "standing order" to declassify documents taken from the White House to Mar-a-Lago has long been debunked as "dubious" and called "total nonsense" by Trump White House officials. Now, another blow to Trump's story: the
Jun 27, 2023 6:57 AM CDT
Audio May Undercut a Trump Claim
CNN, other outlets obtain tape of former president talking about 'secret' Iran documents
- A number of media outlets have obtained the full audio of former President Trump talking about "secret" documents regarding Iran in his possession in 2021. The existence of the audio has been previously reported —it features in the indictment of Trump that accuses him of illegally keeping classified...
Special Counsel: August Is
Too Early for Trump Trial
Jun 24, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Special Counsel: August Is Too Early for Trump Trial
Jack Smith files motion to push start date till December, to allow both sides adequate prep
- An Aug. 14 date set by US District Judge Aileen Cannon for the beginning of former President Donald Trump's trial in his classified documents case is already being challenged. On Friday, special counsel Jack Smith filed a motion requesting that the trial be delayed until Dec. 11, noting the...
She's Going to
Jail for Taking
Jun 22, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
She's Going to Jail for Taking Classified Docs
Ex-FBI analyst gets nearly 4 years behind bars, in case seen as similar to former president's
- The verdict is in, and it's prison time for bringing those classified documents home. No, not for former President Trump—his case is still pending —but the
New York Times
notes the similarities between his situation and that of Kendra Kingsbury, a former FBI intelligence analyst who was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.