Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Info Just by
Sep 22, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Trump: Presidents Can Declassify Info Just by Thinking It
Former president tells Hannity all Mar-a-Lago papers were declassified
- As the Justice Department moves ahead with a possible criminal case against Donald Trump over his handling of classified documents, the former president is doubling down on a basic line of defense. Trump told Sean Hannity of Fox News Wednesday that everything at Mar-a-Lago was, in fact, declassified because he...
Trump Was Forewarned
About Holding Documents
Sep 20, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Trump Was Forewarned About Holding Documents
His lawyers acknowledge DOJ probe could result in indictment
- Former President Trump was warned at least nine months ago that he would need to return classified material taken from the White House, reports the
New York Times
. According to three sources familiar with the conversation, former White House lawyer Eric Herschmann told the former president that he could face...
On Unsealed FBI Inventory List:
90 Empty Folders at Mar-a-Lago
Sep 2, 2022 1:27 PM CDT
On Unsealed FBI Inventory List: 90 Empty Folders at Mar-a-Lago
48 of them were marked 'classified'; it's not clear where the contents are, or when they vanished
- As more details continue to emerge in the wake of the FBI's search of Mar-a-Lago last month, a federal judge gave the green light Thursday to unseal a more detailed list of inventory recovered from former President Trump's resort in Palm Beach, Fla. Among the revelations this newly...
on Whether He
Info Upon Exit
Aug 20, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Pence Grilled on Whether He Took Classified Info Upon Exit
'No, not to my knowledge,' former VP told the AP
- Former Vice President Mike Pence said Friday that he didn't take any classified information with him when he left office. The disclosure—which would typically be unremarkable for a former vice president—is notable given that FBI agents seized classified and top secret information from his former boss's...
Reveals More on
15 Boxes Found
Feb 19, 2022 9:45 AM CST
National Archives Reveals More on 15 Boxes Found at Mar-a-Lago
NARA: Former President Trump brought classified info with him to private Fla. estate when he left WH
- The 15 or so boxes of administration materials that former President Trump took with him to Mar-a-Lago when he left the White House had more than routine to-do lists inside. On Friday, the National Archives and Records Administration confirmed that classified records were found in those boxes, and that it'...
US Tries to Disrupt Russia
With Intelligence Dumps
Feb 12, 2022 5:45 PM CST
US Tries to Disrupt Russia With Intelligence Dumps
Releases about Putin's plans could buy time before any invasion
- In a strategy the US hasn't used on this scale since the Cuban missile crisis, the Biden administration is trying to disrupt President Vladimir Putin's planning in the Ukraine impasse by regularly releasing classified information showing what Russia's doing. The releases have covered troop movements, a purported...
JFK Documents Are Released
Dec 15, 2021 1:15 PM CST
'Previously Withheld' JFK Documents Are Released
But it's still not everything
- The White House on Wednesday released almost 1,500 additional documents tied to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Experts say there's little point in searching for a smoking gun within them, reports CNN , with Fox News adding a large number of the documents involve assassin Lee...
Behind a Bus Stop, Somebody
Found Classified Defense Files
Jun 27, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Behind a Bus Stop, Somebody Found Classified Defense Files
Details about British destroyer, possible Afghanistan mission were included
- After looking through them, the person who found nearly 50 pages of British government documents realized they probably weren't supposed to be left on the ground behind a bus stop in Kent. The classified papers included information about a British destroyer and how Russia might respond to the Defender...
Navy Sailor Charged With
Giving Intel to a Russian
Jul 17, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Navy Sailor Charged With Giving Intel to a Russian
Charles T. Briggs was also hit with child pornography charges
- A US Navy sailor based out of Portsmouth, Va., is heading to a general court-martial next week, accused of handing over classified information to a Russian he reportedly knew. Per a charge sheet cited by the
, Chief Petty Officer Charles T. Briggs is said to have used a government...
Old Laptop Sold on eBay
Had Classified Information
Mar 17, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Old Laptop Sold on eBay Had Classified Information
German defense officials are not happy
- It was quite a bargain. An old but working laptop up for sale on eBay went for $100, and the buyer got classified information from Germany's military as part of the deal. As Deutsche Welle explains, the gaffe started when the military sent decommissioned laptops to a recycling company...
Russia: Details on Sub
Fire Are 'Totally Classified'
Jul 3, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
Russia: Details on Sub Fire Are 'Totally Classified'
Officials won't say if vessel was nuclear-powered
- Russia is remaining tight-lipped about a Monday fire that killed 14 sailors on a deep-sea submersible, claiming details are a state secret. "There is nothing illegal about this. It fully corresponds to the Russian law on state secrets," a spokesman for President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday, describing information...
156 Have Been Released
Nov 10, 2018 10:45 AM CST
Comey's Gmails? 156 Have Been Released
He discussed sensitive FBI matters, says the Post
- Was it hypocrisy? While probing Hillary Clinton's emails, former FBI chief James Comey conducted business on his private Gmail account—including seven messages the Justice Dept. deemed too sensitive for public release, the
New York Post
reports. A Freedom of Information request obtained 156 of his emails, but 363...
Ex-CIA Worker Charged: He
'Utterly Betrayed This Nation'
Jun 19, 2018 7:17 AM CDT
Ex-CIA Worker Charged: He 'Utterly Betrayed This Nation'
Joshua Adam Schulte hit with 13-count indictment, with charges including stealing classified info
- A former CIA employee was charged Monday with stealing classified national defense information from the agency that emerged publicly in March 2017, when WikiLeaks began releasing some of the CIA's hacking tools. Joshua Adam Schulte of Manhattan was charged in a 13-count superseding indictment returned by a grand jury,...
Can Secret JFK Files
Shed Light on a 1971 Suicide?
in case you missed it
Apr 28, 2018 12:10 PM CDT
Can Secret JFK Files Shed Light on a 1971 Suicide?
Diplomat Charles Thomas' family thinks so
- A long-dead diplomat's family has urged President Trump to release still-secret files on John F. Kennedy's assassination ahead of the deadline Trump set to do so, in hopes it changes the story of their father's suicide. After 18 years with the State Department, Charles Thomas saw it...
Comey Investigated Over
Possible Classified Breach
Apr 20, 2018 4:43 PM CDT
Comey Investigated Over Possible Classified Breach
Justice Department looking into the memos he gave to friend
- When James Comey gave four memos to a friend detailing his interactions with President Trump, he took pains to make sure they contained no classified information, the former FBI chief told Congress last year. However, the Justice Department is now investigating whether he was wrong about that, reports the
Feb 16, 2018 5:21 PM CST
Kelly Overhauls White House Clearance Procedure
Will limit interim security clearances to 180 days
- Under pressure over his handling of abuse allegations against a top aide , White House chief of staff John Kelly on Friday ordered sweeping changes in how the White House clears staff members to gain access to classified information, acknowledging that the administration "must do better" in how it handles...
Comey's Leaked Trump Memos
May Contain Classified Info
Jul 10, 2017 6:48 AM CDT
Comey's Leaked Trump Memos May Contain Classified Info
'That is so illegal!!' president tweets upon report
- Remember when James Comey acknowledged that he not only wrote detailed memos of his conversations with President Trump, but made sure one of them got leaked to the press ? At the time, the former FBI chief said he was careful to include only non-classified information in the memos, but...
Years in Space
May 7, 2017 3:15 PM CDT
Plane Ends 2 Secretive Years in Space
Air Force's X-37B space plane touched down Sunday in Florida
- The Air Force owns two X-37B space planes, and one of them is finally back on the ground after a nearly 2-year-long secret mission. While the what is unknown, the how long is clear: 718 days in orbit, reports Space.com , with the unmanned plane landing Sunday morning at NASA'...
Trump National Security Chief
'Inappropriately Shared' Secrets
Dec 15, 2016 3:03 AM CST
Trump National Security Chief 'Inappropriately Shared' Secrets
He gave foreign officers CIA Afghanistan info
- The man Donald Trump has selected to be his top national security adviser "inappropriately shared" classified information with military officers from friendly countries while he was serving in Afghanistan. According to Army documents obtained by the
under a Freedom of Information Act request, Lt. Gen. Michael T....
Sailor Guilty of Spy Charge
Cites Clinton Emails
Aug 16, 2016 1:53 AM CDT
Sailor Guilty of Spy Charge Cites Clinton Emails
Kristian Saucier asks for leniency over classified sub photos
- A sailor who photographed classified areas inside a nuclear sub finds it deeply unfair that he's probably on his way to prison while Hillary Clinton might be on her way to the White House. Petty Officer 1st Class Kristian Saucier, 29, pleaded guilty in May this year to retaining...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.