Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
China Isn't Happy With Keanu Reeves
Nation yanks bulk of actor's movies from streaming platforms after he did benefit concert for Tibet House
- Earlier this month, Keanu Reeves participated in an online benefit concert held by Tibet House, a nonprofit based in New York that's tied to the Dalai Lama. Now, the 57-year-old Canadian actor is seeing the repercussions, with the
Los Angeles Times
reporting that China's major streaming platforms yanked...
Report: US Officials
to Turn Their Backs
on Winter Olympics
Nov 17, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Report: US Officials to Turn Their Backs on Winter Olympics
Sources say diplomatic boycott of Beijing Games has been formally recommended to Biden
- The Biden administration is likely planning a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics in February in response to human rights abuses in China, according to a report. Several sources tell
columnist Josh Rogin that a formal recommendation has been made to President Biden that the US refrain from...
To Ride This Train,
You Need Extra Oxygen
Jul 3, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
To Ride This Train, You Need Extra Oxygen
Costly project in Tibet is now open
- The first bullet train went live in Tibet on June 25, and its speed—about 100 miles per hour—is pretty much the least fascinating part about it. CNN reports on some of the more notable and unusual features of the line, which links the Tibetan capital Lhasa with Nyingchi,...
Is Likely Dead
Dec 31, 2020 10:14 AM CST
China's 'Glacier Bro' Is Likely Dead
Wang Xiangjun, 30, went missing while visiting a glacial waterfall
- A Chinese social media influencer is believed to be dead after vanishing on Dec. 20. Wang Xiangjun, known as "Glacier Bro" due to his penchant for exploring glaciers while talking about climate change, was at a glacial waterfall in Tibet when footage shows him apparently lose his balance near...
China Speaks of Boy Chosen by
Dalai Lama Who Then Vanished
May 20, 2020 2:38 PM CDT
China Speaks of Boy Chosen by Dalai Lama Who Then Vanished
Beijing claims Gedhun Choekyi Nyima wants to be left alone
- China says a boy who disappeared 25 years ago after being picked by the Dalai Lama as Tibetan Buddhism’s second-highest figure is now a college graduate with a stable job. Very little information has been given about Gedhun Choekyi Nyima or his family since he went missing at age...
A Noteworthy Visit
to Tibet Is Underway
May 20, 2019 8:21 AM CDT
A Noteworthy Visit to Tibet Is Underway
Terry Branstad is first US ambassador to make the trip since 2015
- The US ambassador to China is making a rare visit to Tibet to meet local officials and raise concerns about restrictions on Buddhist practices and the preservation of the Himalayan region's unique culture and language. The US Embassy in Beijing said Terry Branstad is visiting the Tibetan Autonomous Region...
China: No Permit, No Trip
to Everest Base Camp
Feb 15, 2019 12:00 PM CST
China: No Permit, No Trip to Everest Base Camp
Tourist ban aims to cut down on mountain trash
- China is making a move to help with the trash problem on Mount Everest. Bejing is closing the base camp on the Tibet side of the peak to everyone except those with climbing permits, reports the BBC . And China hands out only 300 of those permits a year. The Tibetan...
30 Years After They
Vanished on the
in case you missed it
Dec 15, 2018 4:00 PM CST
30 Years After They Vanished on the Mountain, 'Closure'
Steve Aisthorpe grateful that 2 friends who disappeared in Himalayas in 1988 have been found
- The bodies of those who succumb to the Himalayan mountains likely stay on the slopes forever—it's often too difficult, dangerous, and costly to retrieve them. That fact didn't stop Steve Aisthorpe of Scotland from his recent mission on the Nepal-Tibet border: to get "closure" on the...
'Spiritual Heart of Tibetan
Buddhism' Catches Fire
Feb 17, 2018 2:48 PM CST
'Spiritual Heart of Tibetan Buddhism' Catches Fire
Serious damaged feared at 1,300-year-old Jokhang monastery
- A 1,300-year-old monastery "considered the spiritual heart of Tibetan Buddhism" caught fire Saturday and may have suffered serious damage, the AP reports. Images on social media showed flames visible from hundreds of yards away covering a roof of the Jokhang monastery in Lhasa. According to Reuters , no casualties...
Tibetans Call for Return
of Panchen Lama, Now 28
Apr 30, 2017 4:03 PM CDT
Tibetans Call for Return of Panchen Lama, Now 28
Little is known of Tibet's second-ranked monk 22 years after his detention
- This week marked the 28th birthday of Tibet’s Panchen Lama, reinvigorating calls for his release from detention by the Chinese government. Radio Free Asia reports that at just 6 years old, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima and his family were detained when the exiled Dalai Lama named him the 11th reincarnation...
Gere Touched Hollywood's
'Third Rail,' and He's Just Fine
Apr 20, 2017 8:47 AM CDT
Gere Touched Hollywood's 'Third Rail,' and He's Just Fine
Criticism of China cost him mainstream roles, but he's happy with indie films
- Richard Gere was once on the Hollywood A-list, with blockbusters such as
An Officer and a Gentleman
. Not so much anymore. He's 67 now, but other actors in their 60s are still pulling down mainstream leading roles. So why not Gere? He tells the...
Famous Climbers' Bodies
Left Where They Were
May 31, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Famous Climbers' Bodies Left Where They Were
Tibet mountaineers didn't realize they had found long-lost men
- The mountaineers who discovered the bodies of long-lost American climbers Alex Lowe and David Bridges in Tibet left them untouched out of respect—and it took them days to realize who they were. Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck tells Reuters that he was on the way up Mount Shishapangma with German...
After 16 Years,
Mountain Gives Up
Climbing Legend's Body
May 2, 2016 4:14 AM CDT
After 16 Years, Mountain Gives Up Climbing Legend's Body
Alex Lowe, cameraman perished in Tibet avalanche
- The frozen remains of one of the greatest American mountain climbers who ever lived have been found on the mountain where he died. Alex Lowe was 40 years old and considered the best in the world when he died alongside cameraman David Bridges in October 1999, the AP reports. They...
Tibet to China:
Give Us Back the
Boy Monk You Stole
May 18, 2015 1:32 PM CDT
Tibet to China: Give Us Back the Boy Monk You Stole
2nd-highest Buddhist spiritual leader disappeared 20 years ago at age 6
- Twenty years ago this week, a 6-year-old Tibetan boy was cornered by Chinese authorities, then apparently fell off the face of the Earth. He wasn't just any grade-schooler, though: Gedhun Choekyi Nyima had just been declared the 11
Panchen Lama (second only to the Dalai Lama in the Buddhist...
Ancient Global Cooling
Could Explain Tibet Mystery
May 3, 2015 8:03 AM CDT
Ancient Global Cooling Could Explain Tibet Mystery
Temperatures may have led to a civilization's downfall
- Civilization at the edge of the Tibetan Plateau fell apart—or at least changed very suddenly—4,000 years ago, and now, researchers believe they can explain why. In fact, it has to do with climate change, though not the way we currently think of it, Science 2.0 notes....
White House Offers Quake Sympathy, but Not to Tibet
Apr 28, 2015 7:37 AM CDT
White House Offers Quake Sympathy, but Not to Tibet
Press secretary mentions only Nepal, India, Bangladesh
- The Nepal earthquake also caused deaths in other countries, including dozens in Tibet—but Tibet didn't get the White House's condolences yesterday. During a press briefing, Press Secretary Josh Earnest noted that the US government offered its "deepest condolences to … the families of those who died...
Mar 9, 2015 8:50 AM CDT
China Slams Dalai Lama's Views on Reincarnation
Official disputes spiritual leader's suggestion he might not be reincarnated
- The Dalai Lama has said he could be the last of his kind , and China's governor of Tibet doesn't take kindly to the suggestion, Reuters reports. "I think that, in fact, he is profaning religion and Tibetan Buddhism," Padma Choling says. According to Tibetan Buddhism, the...
I Could Be
the Last One
Dec 17, 2014 7:38 AM CST
Dalai Lama: I Could Be the Last One
Better to avoid the risk of a 'stupid' successor, he says
- The current Dalai Lama says he could be the last, and it could be for the best. "The Dalai Lama institution will cease one day. These man-made institutions will cease," he told the BBC in an interview. "There is no guarantee that some stupid Dalai Lama won'...
Ancient Canyon Found
Buried Deep in Tibet
Nov 24, 2014 8:50 AM CST
Ancient Canyon Found Buried Deep in Tibet
Geologists say it appears to have formed in an unusual way
- A very old and very deep canyon lies alongside the Yarlung Tsangpo River in southern Tibet, near the eastern end of the Himalayas, and its recent discovery is prompting geologists to rethink a popular model currently used to explain how the gorges of the Himalayas came to form so quickly...
How Did Humans Conquer
'Roof of the World'? Barley
Nov 21, 2014 1:32 PM CST
How Did Humans Conquer 'Roof of the World'? Barley
Ancient, hardy seeds turn up in Tibet 3.6K years ago
- Scientists know that humans were kicking around the lower altitudes of the Tibetan Peninsula around 10,000 years ago. Permanent settlements, however, didn't show up in the harsh higher altitudes until 3,600 years ago. What happened that allowed ancient settlers to survive in a region nicknamed the "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.