Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gator Took His Arm, Then
He Got Lost for 3 Days
Sep 12, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Gator Took His Arm, Then He Got Lost for 3 Days
Eric Merda of Florida lived to tell the tale
- It's one thing to get lost in a Florida swamp for three days before finding your way out. It's another for that to happen
an alligator has bitten your arm off. All of the above happened to 43-year-old Eric Merda of Sarasota, reports the
. In July,...
The Alligator Was Found.
The Tiger, Not So Much
Sep 11, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
The Alligator Was Found. The Tiger, Not So Much
New Mexico authorities put out an unusual animal alert
- An alligator, drugs, guns, and money were seized during a raid at two homes in Albuquerque last month, but New Mexico wildlife officials said Saturday they are still searching for a young tiger they believe is being illegally kept as a pet. Investigators think the tiger is with someone “...
Zoo's Wildlife Director Loses
Part of Arm After Alligator Bite
Aug 31, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Zoo's Wildlife Director Loses Part of Arm After Alligator Bite
'Had this been a totally wild alligator with no training, it would've been a lot worse'
- The wildlife director of a zoo in Florida isn't planning on changing careers after losing part of one arm in his second serious alligator attack in less than 10 years. Florida Gator Gardens in Venus, 125 miles southeast of Tampa, said in a Facebook post last week that Greg...
Pennsylvania Man Has
Emotional Support Alligator
Aug 29, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Pennsylvania Man Has Emotional Support Alligator
WallyGator is 'super sweet-natured,' owner Joie Henney
- Pennsylvania man Joie Henney has an unusual emotional support animal—but unlike owners of animals including peacocks and squirrels , he's not going to try to take it on a plane. WallyGator accompanies him almost everywhere, though, and sleeps in the same bed, the
reports. Wildlife experts say...
She Was Gardening
Before She Was
Killed by an Alligator
Aug 16, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
She Was Gardening Before She Was Killed by an Alligator
88-year-old was found dead near pond
- An 88-year-old South Carolina woman was killed by an alligator Monday in the country's fourth confirmed fatal gator attack this year. The woman was found after an alligator was spotted "guarding what was believed to be a person" near the edge of a pond in a gated 55-and-over...
Woman Killed by Alligators
in Golf Course Pond
Jul 18, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
Woman Killed by Alligators in Golf Course Pond
The gators 'grabbed' 80-year-old woman, authorities say
- An 80-year-old woman died Friday night after falling into a pond at a Florida golf course and being attacked by two alligators. The woman "struggled to stay afloat" after falling into the body of water at the Boca Royale Golf and Country Club in Sarasota County, authorities say, and...
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in
SC Pond Also a Rare One
Jun 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
Officials say alligator yanked victim into retention pond, killed him in Myrtle Beach
- There have been only three recorded human deaths due to alligator attacks in South Carolina, but on Friday, a fourth fatality was added to that list. In a Friday Facebook post , the Horry County Police Department reported that shortly before noon that day, a call came in to local firefighters...
Cops: Lake Had 'No Swimming'
Signs, but Man Went in Anyway
May 31, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Cops: Lake Had 'No Swimming' Signs, but Man Went in Anyway
Largo, Florida, cops believe man was killed by alligator while looking for Frisbees
- Florida police believe a man who was searching for a Frisbee in a lake at a Largo park may have been killed by an alligator. The unidentified 47-year-old man was found dead Tuesday morning in John S. Taylor Park. Largo police say that despite there being "no swimming" signs...
First, 'Loud Noises
on Their Lanai.'
Then, a Surprise
May 21, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
Alligator breaks through screen, takes dip in family's pool in Charlotte County, Fla.
- May is National Water Safety Month, and Florida's Charlotte County Sheriff's Office has its own tip to contribute. "Always check your pool before diving in!" it noted in a Tuesday Facebook post , along with photos showing why it was issuing such a warning. Authorities report that...
24-Hour Alligator Hunting
May 5, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Florida Introduces 24-Hour Alligator Hunting
Previous rule limited hunt to 5pm to 10am
- From Aug. 15 to Nov. 1, Florida residents will be allowed to hunt alligators 24/7. New Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission guidelines have extended hunting hours during alligators season to 24 hours a day, giving hunters with permits seven extra hours of daylight, the
reports. Under previous...
School's Swim Team Finds
Surprise Competitor in Pool
Mar 16, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
School's Swim Team Finds Surprise Competitor in Pool
3-foot-long alligator was discovered swimming at Montverde Academy in central Florida
- Members of a Florida prep school's swim team encountered a surprise interloper when they showed up for practice on Friday. ClickOrlando.com reports the swimmers found a 3-foot-long alligator in the eight-lane, 25-meter competition pool at Montverde Academy , located in central Florida, halting the team's practice. Per a...
Surprise Discovery After
Florida Rollover: 2 Gators
Dec 20, 2021 11:58 AM CST
Surprise Discovery After Florida Rollover: 2 Gators
2 teens are arrested for illegally poaching them
- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission doesn't typically respond to the scene of auto accidents. But in this case, there were two good reasons: a pair of large alligators "hanging from the rear window of an SUV resting on its side," the commission explains in a...
Dad Saves the Day
... With a Trash Can
Sep 30, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Dad Saves the Day ... With a Trash Can
'I used the front like a hippo mouth' to catch alligator, says Florida man Eugene Bozzi
- Spotting a 6-foot-long alligator in his yard where his and other neighborhood kids were playing, Eugene Bozzi decided to play the hippo. The 26-year-old man from Mount Dora, Fla., is seen in a viral video approaching the alligator with a trash container on wheels, its lid flung open, per
Remains of Man
Attacked in Hurricane
Sep 27, 2021 1:34 AM CDT
Remains of Man Attacked in Hurricane Floodwaters Found Inside Alligator
Police have identified the remains inside captured gator
The human remains found inside a Louisiana alligator are indeed those of Timothy Satterlee, the 71-year-old who was attacked by a gator in floodwaters outside his home after Hurricane Ida on Aug. 30. Authorities had captured the animal almost two weeks later, and now they have confirmed the remains...
at Utah Zoo
Aug 17, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Video: Alligator Attacks Handler at Utah Zoo
Visitors stepped in to save her
- A zoo handler who was about to feed an alligator at a Utah petting zoo is probably glad she was surrounded by exactly the guests who were there at the time. The gator lunged at her, chomping down on her arm and thrashing her around, and zoo guests quickly rushed...
Experienced Cyclist Falls
in Worst Possible Place
Jul 20, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Experienced Cyclist Falls in Worst Possible Place
Man goes into water in Florida, is attacked by alligator
- An experienced bicyclist's fall in Florida on Monday could have killed him, but not the for reason you might think. TCPalm reports the cyclist lost control while navigating a wooden bridge and tumbled into a small body of water some 6 feet down an embankment, where he was then...
Alligator Wanders Into
Florida Post Office
Jun 11, 2021 10:58 AM CDT
Alligator Wanders Into Florida Post Office
Of course in Florida—where else?
- A Florida customer who may have been trying to avoid crowds by heading to the post office in the dead of night encountered a different kind of inconvenience instead. Per a Hernando County Sheriff's Office statement , the unidentified patron showed up at the Spring Hill post office around 3:...
Diver Looking for
Megalodon Teeth Is
Attacked by Gator
Jun 4, 2021 2:01 AM CDT
Diver Looking for Megalodon Teeth Is Attacked by Gator
Jeffrey Heim doesn't fault the alligator, however
- Jeffrey Heim was diving along the Myakka River Sunday, searching for prehistoric shark teeth, when he felt something he compares to the propeller from a boat hitting him at 50mph. What it actually was: an alligator that attacked him, biting his head and hand, ABC Action News reports. The 25-year-old...
Fla. Man Rescues Dog
From Gator's 'Death Roll'
May 15, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Fla. Man Rescues Dog From Gator's 'Death Roll'
Mike McCoy says alligator came out of nowhere and pulled his chocolate Lab, Jake, into the water
- Mike McCoy has read up a bit on alligator attacks and what to do if you find yourself in one—and good thing, because he was able to put that knowledge to use this week. McCoy and Jake, his 8-year-old chocolate Lab, were taking a stroll Tuesday near a pond...
First, a Cow Held Up Traffic.
Then Came the Alligator
Apr 29, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
First, a Cow Held Up Traffic. Then Came the Alligator
Houston-area cops have an eventful day with wayward animals
- Some days, Houston-area traffic can be a nightmare. Other days, it can be a zoo. A cow and an alligator caused traffic delays on Wednesday during separate incidents in which the animals took themselves for a spin on local roadways, per the AP . Around 8am, the cow was spotted moving...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.