Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Freed After 53 Years
Jul 11, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
Manson Follower Freed After 53 Years
Leslie Van Houten is now in transitional housing, lawyer says
- Leslie Van Houten has been released from a California prison after serving more than 50 years for her role in some of the most notorious murders in American history. Attorney Nancy Tetreault says the 73-year-old former Charles Manson follower left the California Institution for Women in Corona Tuesday morning and...
Court Calls for Freeing
Manson Family Member
May 30, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Court Calls for Freeing Manson Family Member
Decision overrules California governor on parole for Leslie Van Houten, 72
- A California appeals court ruled Tuesday that Charles Manson's youngest follower should be released from prison, reversing Gov. Gavin Newsom. The 2-1 decision by the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles said Leslie Van Houten "has shown extraordinary rehabilitative efforts, insight, remorse, realistic parole plans, support...
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up
Her Act—With Eye on Parole
May 23, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up Her Act—With Eye on Parole
Susan Smith, who drowned 2 sons in 1994, will face a parole board in November 2024
- Susan Smith was in her early 20s when she told police that a Black man had stolen her car, with her two young sons inside. Actually, she'd let her car roll into a lake, drowning the boys still strapped in their car seats. She was sentenced to life in...
Killer Confesses to Old Murder.
Another Remains Jailed for It
Apr 30, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Killer Confesses to Old Murder. Another Remains Jailed for It
Leo Schofield, up for parole next month, was convicted of killing his wife, insists he's innocent
- Next month, a parole board in Florida will decide whether 57-year-old Leo Schofield should be released from prison after more than three decades. Schofield was convicted of the 1987 murder of his 18-year-old wife, Michelle Saum Schofield, and as Richard Bockman writes in the
Tampa Bay Times
, he would surely...
He Killed His Family
When He Was 16,
Was Just Granted Parole
Mar 22, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
He Killed His Family When He Was 16, Was Just Granted Parole
Brian Britton fatally shot his parents, brother, and shot and injured his sister
- On March 22, 1989, 16-year-old Brian Britton shot his parents, 8-year-old brother, and 18-year-old sister in their home in Poughkeepsie, New York. Only his sister survived. Now, after 33 years behind bars, Britton has been granted parole, the
reports. He must complete community preparation, and the earliest he...
10 Years After Steenkamp
Murder, Pistorius Up for Parole
Feb 15, 2023 10:02 AM CST
10 Years After Steenkamp Murder, Pistorius Up for Parole
He'll face a hearing within weeks
- Oscar Pistorius will have served seven years in prison for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp when he becomes eligible for parole next month. It's a day that has come too soon for Steenkamp's parents, June and Barry, who are speaking out on the 10-year anniversary of their daughter’...
Gets Some Bad News
Oct 15, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Manson Follower Gets Some Bad News
Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom blocks parole for Patricia Krenwinkel after board recommends it
- California's governor blocked the parole of Charles Manson follower Patricia Krenwinkel on Friday, more than five decades after she scrawled "Helter Skelter" on a wall using the blood of one of their victims. Gov. Gavin Newsom said Krenwinkel, now 74, is still too much of a public safety...
DC Sniper Denied
Parole After 20 Years
Sep 16, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
DC Sniper Denied Parole After 20 Years
Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad killed 10 people in 2002
- Lee Boyd Malvo won't be walking around DC anytime soon. State records show that the Virginia Parole Board last month denied parole to the 37-year-old, who is serving multiple life sentences in Virginia for his role in the sniper killings that terrorized the nation's capital in October 2002...
Mark David Chapman
Just Got His 12th No
Sep 13, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Mark David Chapman Just Got His 12th No
John Lennon's killer denied parole, will get another chance in 2024
- The man who shot and killed John Lennon outside his Manhattan apartment building in 1980 has been denied parole for a 12th time, New York corrections officials said Monday, per the AP . Mark David Chapman, 67, appeared before a parole board at the end of August, according to the state'...
Oscar Pistorius Argues
He Is Due a Parole Hearing
Aug 31, 2022 4:42 PM CDT
Oscar Pistorius Argues He Is Due a Parole Hearing
He argues in filing he's been eligible for one since February 2021
- Oscar Pistorius is angling to get out of prison. The former Paralympic gold medalist argues he is eligible for parole, and as the BBC reports, whether that's so isn't exactly black and white. He was originally sentenced to six years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in the middle...
Parole Board Confirms
Release of School Bus Hijacker
Aug 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Parole Board Confirms Release of School Bus Hijacker
Newsom asks commissioners to reconsider freedom for man who buried children and driver
- The last of three men convicted of hijacking a school bus full of California children for an attempted $5 million ransom in 1976, in what a prosecutor called "the largest mass kidnapping in US history," is being released by the state's parole board. Gov. Gavin Newsom asked...
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Dec 23, 2021 6:55 PM CST
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Abbott's office says there were errors in recommendation by Texas parole board
- The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously recommended that George Floyd, who was convicted on a drug charge in 2004 and killed by a police officer in 2020, be given a full pardon. But Thursday, when it came time for Gov. Greg Abbott to release his annual list of...
Parole Ends Early
Dec 14, 2021 7:14 PM CST
OJ Simpson's Parole Ends Early
He's now a 'completely free man'
- OJ Simpson is a free man. The 74-year-old former football star, acquitted California murder defendant, and convicted Las Vegas armed robber was granted good behavior credits and discharged from parole effective Dec. 1, Nevada State Police spokeswoman Kim Yoko Smith said Tuesday. "Mr. Simpson is a completely free man...
Man at Center of SCOTUS Case
Gets Parole After 57 Years
Nov 17, 2021 6:45 PM CST
Man at Center of SCOTUS Case Gets Parole After 57 Years
Henry Montgomery, 75, killed a deputy in Louisiana when he was 17
- After spending nearly six decades behind bars, the Louisiana inmate whose Supreme Court case was instrumental in extending the possibility of freedom to hundreds of people sentenced to life in prison without the opportunity for parole when they were juveniles was freed on parole Wednesday. From the AP :
He Was a Killer at 13.
He'll Soon Walk Free
Oct 17, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
He Was a Killer at 13. He'll Soon Walk Free
Eric M. Smith was 13 when he murdered Derrick Robie
- Eric M. Smith, who was 13 when he killed a 4-year-old boy with a rock in western New York, has been granted parole, corrections officials said on Saturday. Smith, now 41, appeared for the 11th time before the Board of Parole on October 5 and was granted release as early...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
Release of Mafia Killer
Angers Victims' Families
Jun 1, 2021 5:23 PM CDT
Release of Mafia Killer Angers Victims' Families
Italian officials defend freeing boss who confessed to killing of top prosecutor, 100 others
- After serving 25 years, a Sicilian Mafia boss who confessed to his involvement in more than 100 killings has been paroled from prison. "Giovanni Brusca, the man who destroyed my family, is free," said Tina Montinaro, per the BBC . Her husband was killed when Brusca set off a...
'Stolen Hedge Clipper'
Case Takes a Turn
Oct 18, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
'Stolen Hedge Clipper' Case Takes a Turn
Fair Wayne Bryant leaves prison after 23 years
- A Louisiana man is no longer serving life for trying to steal hedge clippers. State officials granted Fair Wayne Bryant parole Thursday in a 3-0 vote after his case drew widespread attention—and a scathing rebuke from a Louisiana high court justice, the
New York Times
reports. "Mr. Bryant...
It's an 11th 'No' for
John Lennon's Killer
Aug 26, 2020 2:28 PM CDT
It's an 11th 'No' for John Lennon's Killer
Mark David Chapman once again denied parole
- The man who gunned down John Lennon outside his Manhattan apartment in 1980 was denied parole for an 11th time, state corrections officials said Wednesday. Officials said Mark David Chapman was denied after being interviewed by a parole board Aug. 19, the AP reports. Chapman, 65, is serving a 20-years-to-life...
Killer of Michael Jordan's
Dad to Leave Prison in 2023
Aug 19, 2020 12:31 PM CDT
Killer of Michael Jordan's Dad to Leave Prison in 2023
Larry Demery, imprisoned since 1996, learns his parole date
- One of two men convicted of murdering Michael Jordan's father has set his sights on Aug. 6, 2023—the date he'll finally walk out of prison. Larry Demery's parole date was announced by North Carolina officials on Tuesday, following a "three-way agreement" between Demery, the Division...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.