Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Two Stats Illustrate a Problem
With Bike Helmets
Jan 20, 2023 8:51 AM CST
Two Stats Illustrate a Problem With Bike Helmets
US riders use them more than others, but also suffer more traffic fatalities
- Marion Renault thinks bicyclists should wear helmets, and she always wears one herself. But in a story at Slate , she writes that "helmets are simply not the road-safety panacea we want them to be." The point is brought home with a combination of two stats: American riders tend...
Bike Culture May Have
Jan 10, 2023 12:14 PM CST
Bike Culture May Have a Problem—Alcohol
In 'Bicycling,' Gloria Liu suggests the cycling world drinks too much
- A few years ago, Gloria Liu wrote a story in
magazine about how great the "post-ride beer" is in the parking lot, especially with a group of riding friends. Now comes a story in the same magazine with a different bent and a headline asking, "Does Cycling...
He Mountain Biked an
Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
Nov 26, 2022 6:20 AM CST
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
Inside Braydon Bringhurst's wild feat on the Whole Enchilada
- "Oh my gosh, dude. It's one of the hardest things I've ever done." That's how Braydon Bringhurst put it to his camera man after completing a challenge that's all but unfathomable to almost every human on the planet: biking
the Whole Enchilada. As...
Police Reject Account
of Gruesome Bicycle Accident
Sep 11, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
Police Reject Account of Gruesome Bicycle Accident
New Mexico man lost a foot, but how remains a mystery
- A story at
sums it up as "mysterious but horrific," and it's hard to disagree. What's not in dispute is that 28-year-old Dillen Mauer—a former pro bicyclist who is now a renowned frame builder in New Mexico—lost a foot over Labor Day...
Tour de France Racer Hits
Fans, Suffers Broken Neck
Jul 8, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
Tour de France Racer Hits Fans, Suffers Broken Neck
Incredibly, Italy's Daniel Oss got up and finished that leg, but he later pulled out of race
- An elite racer from Italy has been forced to withdraw from the Tour de France, due to a broken neck suffered after he collided with spectators on a particularly tricky part of the course. Daniel Oss of Team TotalEnergies was cruising along Wednesday during Stage 5 of the race, on...
Suspect in Star Cyclist's
Murder Is Caught
Jun 30, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Kaitlin Armstrong is arrested in Costa Rica
- A woman accused of killing a star cyclist is in custody after six weeks as a fugitive. US Marshals say Kaitlin Armstrong, 34, was tracked to a hostel in Costa Rica and taken into custody, reports KVUE . She is now awaiting deportation to the US. Investigators say Armstrong fatally shot...
Biden OK After
Fall Off Bike
Jun 18, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Biden OK After Fall Off Bike
President took a tumble while riding Saturday in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- President Biden fell when he tried to get off his bike at the end of a ride Saturday at Cape Henlopen State Park near his beach home in Delaware, but he said he wasn't hurt. "I'm good," he told reporters after US Secret Service Agents quickly...
Woman Accused of Killing
Star Cyclist Is at Large
May 23, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Woman Accused of Killing Star Cyclist Is at Large
Police say Anna Moriah Wilson was killed by Kaitlin Armstrong as part of a love triangle
- The murder of one of the best cyclists in the nation, if not the world, shocked the riding community earlier this month in Texas. Now, authorities say a love triangle is at the heart of the killing of 25-year-old Anna Moriah Wilson. Coverage:
Police and federal agents accuse Kaitlin
Mar 18, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
After Woman's Death, Bridge Operator Is Charged
Pedestrian was killed when Florida span was raised
A Florida bridgetender who raised a drawbridge before a 79-year-old woman walking her bicycle reached the other side has been has charged with manslaughter in her death, police said. West Palm Beach police arrested Artissua Lafay Paulk, 43, at her home on Thursday, per the AP and
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.'
That Was Before the Bull
Feb 16, 2022 12:56 PM CST
It Was a 'Stupidly Hard Ride.' That Was Before the Bull
3 cyclists attacked on course Saturday in California
- "The world famous Bianchi Rock Cobbler is a stupidly hard ride bordering on a race ... conceived by drunken madmen," explains the website for the ride . But while those "drunken madmen" designed a roughly 80-mile California off-road course with as much as 6,500 feet of elevation gain,...
Woman Behind Spectacular
Tour de France Crash to Pay
Dec 10, 2021 8:40 AM CST
Woman Behind Spectacular Tour de France Crash to Pay
The 31-year-old was issued a fine
The French woman who caused one of the worst crashes in Tour de France history by stepping into the road to hold up a sign will have to pay for that choice. The 31-year-old was ordered to pay a roughly $1,350 fine, as well as what the BBC...
Experienced Cyclist Falls
in Worst Possible Place
Jul 20, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Experienced Cyclist Falls in Worst Possible Place
Man goes into water in Florida, is attacked by alligator
- An experienced bicyclist's fall in Florida on Monday could have killed him, but not the for reason you might think. TCPalm reports the cyclist lost control while navigating a wooden bridge and tumbled into a small body of water some 6 feet down an embankment, where he was then...
Tour de France
Jun 27, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Fan Causes Pileup During Tour de France
Search begins for the spectator, who seems to have fled
- A fan who reached into the roadway to try to get a sign picked up by TV cameras caused a major pileup at the Tour de France, leaving a tangle of bikes and riders. Tony Martin of Germany had nowhere to go but into the sign, CNN reports. Other riders...
Police Shoot Driver After
Pickup Strikes Bicyclists
Jun 19, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Police Shoot Driver After Pickup Strikes Bicyclists
At least 6 are critically wounded in Arizona race, as is the truck's driver
- A pickup truck was driven into a benefit bicycle race Saturday in Arizona, leaving at least six people critically injured. Police chased down and shot the driver, a 35-year-old white man, who also was hospitalized in critical condition, CNN reports. The event was the 13th annual Bike the Bluff race,...
'It's Just the Worst
Thing I Could Ever See'
Dec 11, 2020 6:36 AM CST
'It's Just the Worst Thing I Could Ever See'
5 dead, 4 injured after truck hits Nevada cyclists
- Almost 20 cyclists were traveling through Nevada's open desert on Thursday when they were involved in the deadliest vehicle-cyclist crash in the state in at least 16 years. Around 9:40am a box truck plowed into the group along Highway 95 north of Searchlight, where the speed limit is...
Bad News for
Aug 16, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
COVID-19 Is Bad News for Naked Bikers
This year's Philly Naked Bike Ride is no more
- The coronavirus pandemic has slammed the brakes on this year's Philly Naked Bike Ride. The annual event, which usually draws thousands of nude cyclists for a trip around Philadelphia and its tourist sites, had been set for later this month. But organizers who had been gearing up for it...
Man Biked 14K Miles, Then
Got Hit From Behind in Texas
Dec 23, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Man Biked 14K Miles, Then Got Hit From Behind in Texas
Josh Quigley fractured his skull, ankle, heel bone, pelvis, and ribs
- A Scottish man's quest to bicycle around the world has been studded with setbacks: His bike got stolen in April and he had to quickly fly from Australia to home and back to get a new passport after his own sweat damaged his passport photo beyond recognition. Now Josh...
Must Go Away
May 10, 2019 2:20 PM CDT
This Common Traffic Rule Must Go Away
Right-on-red is too dangerous for bicyclists, writes 'Outside' columnist
- A columnist at
is making an argument that may not sit well with drivers—he says it's time to outlaw right-on-red turns. The reason? They're simply too dangerous for bicyclists, writes Eben Weiss. He cites an accident in Virginia that made headlines last month in which a...
It's Hard to Believe
How Fast This
Sep 18, 2018 12:06 PM CDT
It's Hard to Believe How Fast This Bicyclist Went
Denise Mueller-Korenek pedals at 183.9mph in 'motor-paced' record
- Plenty of cars can't reach 183.9mph. Denise Mueller-Korenek managed it on a bike in the obscure world of "motor-paced cycling," reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Peddling in a race car's slipstream, the 45-year-old former junior cycling champion smashed the bicycle land speed record of 167mph...
Driver Guilty of Murder
in Deaths of 5 Cyclists
May 2, 2018 12:27 AM CDT
Driver Guilty of Murder in Deaths of 5 Cyclists
Charles Pickett had 'swallowed handful of drugs'
- A reckless driver who was on drugs when his pickup truck crashed into a pack of bicyclists , killing five, was convicted of second-degree murder Tuesday in southwestern Michigan. Charles Pickett's trial lasted just a few days in Kalamazoo County. There was no dispute that he had swallowed painkillers and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Lawyers Can't Track Down Scientology's David Miscavige
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.