Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspect on the Lam Turns
Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Nov 5, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Suspect on the Lam Turns Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Quashon Burton, accused of COVID relief fraud, was busted by federal officer in Disney World
- It's being called "the world's most magical arrest," though it probably doesn't feel very magical for the arrestee. Police say a Brooklyn man who's been on the lam for almost a year was taken into custody last month in the so-called happiest place on...
At Disney, No More 'Fairy
Godmothers in Training'
Jul 22, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
At Disney, No More 'Fairy Godmothers in Training'
Theme parks will use the gender-neutral 'apprentice'
- Employees who help transform children through the magic of makeup and costumes into Disney characters at the company's theme parks will have a new job title, in an attempt to be more inclusive. The cast members at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques will be called "Fairy Godmother's Apprentices"...
Man Accused of Disney
Scheme Involving R2-D2 Statue
Jul 1, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Man Accused of Disney Scheme Involving R2-D2 Statue
Authorities say David Proudfoot posed as Disney World worker, moved droid replica
- According to authorities, David Proudfoot posed as a worker at Disney World and moved a $10,000 replica of R2-D2 from its place at a Disney resort. According to Proudfoot, he was just trying to do the park a favor. FOX 35 reports the 44-year-old Kissimmee resident was arrested on...
Says Florida's Move
Might Be Illegal
Apr 27, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Disney District Says Florida's Move Might Be Illegal
1967 law that created district says it can't be dissolved before bondholders are paid
- Florida's government has passed a law repealing the self-governing district Disney has had in the state for 55 years—but since the two-page law fails to address some very complicated issues, the Reedy Creek Improvement District says business will continue as usual for now. Reedy Creek has told investors...
New Florida Law Could Mean
Huge Tax Hikes for Residents
Apr 22, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
New Florida Law Could Mean Huge Tax Hikes for Residents
With DeSantis signing legislation, Orange County doesn't know how it can raise revenue to pay difference
- Florida's governor and legislature have decided to eliminate the Reedy Creek District , Disney World's private government, in a political battle over the state's new law known as "Don't Say Gay." But the bill for the move will go to local officials. "The moment...
Under Fire After
Mar 22, 2022 1:04 AM CDT
Disney World Under Fire After Performance by 'Indianettes'
Texas high school band and dance team performed at Florida theme park
- Disney World is being widely criticized after a Texas high school band and drill team performed in one of the Florida theme park's parades over spring break and was accused of appropriating Native American culture. In video of the Port Neches-Groves High School performance, which went viral, the school'...
Among 108 Arrested
March Sadness 2'
Mar 17, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Disney Workers Among 108 Arrested in 'Operation March Sadness 2'
Florida sting operation targeted prostitution, human trafficking
- A sheriff's office in Florida says 108 people were arrested, including a retired judge and several Disney employees, during a sting operation to combat human trafficking, prostitution, and child sexual abuse. Most of those busted in "Operation March Sadness 2" were arrested for seeking a prostitute or "...
This Small Group
Has Worked at
Since Day 1
Sep 29, 2021 2:14 PM CDT
This Small Group Has Worked at Disney World Since Day 1
About 2 dozen employees are members of the 50-year club
- George Kalogridis, Chuck Milam, and Forrest Bahruth were among the 6,000 employees who opened the Magic Kingdom at Disney World to the public for the first time on Oct. 1, 1971. Now, they are among two dozen from that first day still employed at the theme park resort as...
a Paid FastPass
Aug 19, 2021 2:37 AM CDT
Disney Replaces Free FastPass With, Essentially, a Paid FastPass
California and Florida theme parks are bringing in a new service this fall
- Disney's FastPass and MaxPass are officially things of the past, the company announced Wednesday . In their place, California's Disneyland theme park and Florida's Walt Disney World resort will be introducing a new service this fall: Disney Genie, which will be built into the existing theme park mobile...
Mask Policy Updated at
Disney World, Disneyland
Jul 29, 2021 12:36 AM CDT
Mask Policy Updated at Disney World, Disneyland
They're once again required indoors at US theme parks
- Masks are back at Walt Disney World and Disneyland—indoors, at least. As COVID-19 cases surge in Florida, the Orlando theme park will require masks on all visitors ages 2 and up, regardless of vaccination status, when indoors or on Disney transportation. The policy takes effect Friday, WESH reports. Orange...
Disney Brings Back Fireworks,
With a Significant Change
Jul 5, 2021 2:49 AM CDT
Disney Brings Back Fireworks, With a Significant Change
No more 'ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls'
- Fireworks are back at Disney World after more than a year without the iconic nightly event, but the show is a bit different now. Rather than starting off with the familiar greeting: "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, dreamers of all ages," viewers at the Florida...
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family,
Detectives Chip In
Jun 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family, Detectives Chip In
Brooklyn girl who hid in closet during triple murder is getting a trip to Disney World
- It's one small grace note after a hard-to-fathom tragedy. Brooklyn detectives have chipped in to send a 9-year-old girl who lost her family in a triple homicide to Disney World, reports the
New York Post
. The murders made national headlines in April because the girl hid in a closet...
Is a Big First
Apr 7, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Man's 2.8K-Mile, 14-Month Run Is a Big First
Don Muchow, an Ironman with diabetes, ran from California's Disneyland to Florida's Disney World
- It was an endurance run that was supposed to take just under 100 days. It ended up taking 14 months, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, but Don Muchow's ultramarathon from California to Florida is still a big first. Per WESH , the 59-year-old Texas man is said to be the...
Disney World Tourist's
Defense: the Prices
Apr 4, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Disney World Tourist's Defense: the Prices
Visitor objected to trespassing arrest after refusing temperature check
- Kelly Sills spent a lot of money on his Disney World vacation last month, but he wasn't interested in the complimentary temperature check. He was stopped after skipping a temperature screening tent, part of the park's coronavirus protocols, the
reports. Sills was asked to go back...
Cops: Disney Worker in Fla.
Helped Victim of Assault in Pa.
Jan 25, 2021 8:36 AM CST
Cops: Disney Worker in Fla. Helped Victim of Assault in Pa.
Employee alerted police after woman calling for Disney tickets indicated she was in trouble
- A quick-thinking Disney World worker may have helped save a life nearly 1,000 miles away. According to Northern York County Regional Police, the Orlando employee got an alarming phone call close to midnight on Jan. 9, with the Pennsylvania woman on the other end at first making a normal...
It Started With a Cough, Ended
With Rapper's Arrest at Disney
Dec 2, 2020 12:22 PM CST
It Started With a Cough, Ended With Rapper's Arrest at Disney
Incident involving Spectacular Blue Smith happened Monday night at Animal Kingdom
- Rapper and social media entrepreneur Spectacular Blue Smith's visit to Disney World on Monday ended in his arrest.
reports the 35-year-old allegedly faked a sneeze while passing by a Disney employee at Animal Kingdom and said the word "coronavirus." According to the arrest affidavit from the...
Disney Says 32K Will
Lose Jobs by March
Nov 26, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Disney Says 32K Will Lose Jobs by March
Company announces another 4K layoffs
- More bad news from Disney: The company announced in a Thanksgiving Eve filing that it plans to lay off 32,000 workers by March of next year, 4,000 more than previously announced . Most of the laid-off workers will be employees at the company's theme parks in Florida and...
After Disney Arrest,
Grandma Wants $18M
in case you missed it
Aug 9, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
After Disney Arrest, Grandma Wants $18M
Hester Burkhalter says 15-hour ordeal over the CBD oil in her purse was 'humiliating'
- Mickey Mouse had grandma arrested, and now she wants payback. Hester Burkhalter of Hickory, NC, is seeking $6 million in compensatory damages and $12 million in punitive damages, plus several million more for her family, following her April 2019 arrest at Disney World, per CNN . The Orange County Sheriff's...
Earth's 'Most Magical Place'
Reopens Amid Virus Surge
Jul 11, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Earth's 'Most Magical Place' Reopens Amid Virus Surge
Disney World opens its doors, with a few rules
- "The Most Magical Place on Earth" has reopened after nearly four months with new rules in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the AP reports. Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are reopening Saturday, while Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios will follow four...
Man Caught Quarantining
in Disney's 'Tropical Paradise'
May 3, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Man Caught Quarantining in Disney's 'Tropical Paradise'
Richard McGuire says he never heard deputies or noticed 'no trespassing' signs
- Florida deputies arrested a man who had been living out his quarantine on a shuttered Disney World island, telling authorities it felt like a "tropical paradise." Orange County Sheriff's deputies found Richard McGuire on Disney's Discovery Island on Thursday, the AP reports. He said he'd...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Gravel Racing Was on the Rise. Then, a Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.