Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
IBM Wore the Patent Crown
for 29 Years. No More
Jun 18, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
IBM Wore the Patent Crown for 29 Years. No More
South Korea's Samsung ended a streak that began in 1993
- IBM has low-key dominated US patent acquisitions year in and year out since 1993, always beating out flashier competitors such as Apple and Microsoft. That changed in 2022, when IBM lost the patent-winning crown to Korean tech giant Samsung, reports Quartz . Samsung was granted 6,248 patents last year to...
A Potential Samsung Move
Is Fraying Nerves at Google
Apr 17, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
A Potential Samsung Move Is Fraying Nerves at Google
Phone-maker may switch search engine to Bing, reports the 'New York Times'
- It's a move that would have been unthinkable even a few short months ago: Samsung is considering ditching Google as its default search engine for phones and replacing it with Microsoft's new AI-powered Bing , reports the
New York Times
. The move could result in Google parent company Alphabet...
Samsung Issues Recall
of 664K Washing Machines
Dec 23, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Samsung Issues Recall of 664K Washing Machines
Software update can eliminate fire hazard, manufacturer says
- Saying it has received 51 reports from consumers of "smoking, melting, overheating or fire" involving several models of top-loading washers, Samsung has announced a recall of almost 664,000 of the machines. Owners of the 14 recalled models should stop using them immediately, according to the notice by the...
Samsung Chief Is Needed
at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Aug 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Samsung Chief Is Needed at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago
- The heir and de-facto leader of Samsung, twice imprisoned for bribing a former president of South Korea, has just received a presidential pardon. Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago after serving 18 months of a prison term that would have...
Critics Call New
Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Apr 28, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Critics Call New Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Company apologizes over campaign that features a woman jogging alone at night
- A new Samsung ad is under fire as "tone deaf" in regard to women's safety, and the company has apologized to its critics, reports the BBC . The spot called "Night Owls" features a woman going for a run in the middle of the night alone, the point...
I Used Drug
Oct 13, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Samsung Chief: I Used Drug That Killed Michael Jackson
Lee Jae-yong admits in court he partook in propofol many times over 5-year period, says he's 'regretful'
- More troubles have emerged for Samsung chief Lee Jae-yong, who admitted in court this week he's used a controlled substance illegally—and quite a bit of it. Reuters reports that in Seoul Central District Court on Tuesday, Lee copped to partaking in the sedative propofol more than three dozen...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
Samsung Heirs to Pay Truly
Staggering Inheritance Tax
in case you missed it
May 2, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Samsung Heirs to Pay Truly Staggering Inheritance Tax
That's a lot of zeroes...
- An estate tax bill with 10 zeroes in it? It's apparently possible, and being levied in South Korea, where the family of Samsung Electronics chair Lee Kun-hee is settling his estate following his October death . South Korea's inheritance tax rate of 50% is second only to Japan's...
3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Jan 18, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Samsung Billionaire's 3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Lee Jae-yong's retrial in S. Korea corruption scandal earns him 2.5 years more in prison
- Billionaire Samsung scion Lee Jae-yong was sent back to prison on Monday after a South Korean court handed him a 2.5-year sentence for his involvement in a 2016 corruption scandal that spurred massive protests and ousted South Korea's then-president. In a much-anticipated retrial, the Seoul High Court found...
Oct 25, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Founder of Electronics Dynasty Has Died
Lee Kun-hee transformed Samsung
- The man who turned Samsung into a tech powerhouse—and nearly lost it all amid white-collar crime convictions—died Sunday in Seoul, the
reports. Lee Kun-hee was 78. "Chairman Lee was a true visionary who transformed Samsung into the world-leading innovator and industrial powerhouse from a local...
Phone Costs $2K
Sep 1, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Samsung's New Phone Costs $2K
Folding phone is 'definitely a luxury device'
- Samsung has again unveiled a folding phone with a price tag of almost $2,000—and it says the $1,999 Galaxy Z Fold 2 won't suffer from the issues that plagued the original Galaxy Fold last year. Samsung says the phone, its third folding phone and one that...
Samsung Galaxy Users
Creeped Out by
Feb 20, 2020 1:11 PM CST
Samsung Galaxy Users Creeped Out by Weird Notification
But company says 'Find My Mobile 1' was just a mistake, no big deal
- Samsung Galaxy users worldwide were confused late Wednesday and early Thursday by a notification from "Find My Mobile" that read simply "1" and did nothing when clicked other than disappear. (A Twitter search reveals words and phrases like "creepy," "freaked out," and "mysterious,...
They Were About to Let the
Horses Out. Then, a Crash
Oct 28, 2019 8:21 AM CDT
They Were About to Let the Horses Out. Then, a Crash
'Oh my look what fall out of the sky'
- Samsung describes the return to Earth of its "SpaceSelfie" device as an "early soft landing in a selected rural area," though that "soft landing" turned out to be a bit startling, and even a little mysterious, for the Michigan couple that found it had crash-landed on...
Apr 22, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Breakage Postpones Samsung's Folding Phone
Reviewers reported problems with test models
- Samsung is pushing back this week's planned public launch of its highly anticipated, $2,000 folding phone after reports that reviewers' phones were breaking , the AP reports. The company had been planning to release the Galaxy Fold on Friday, but instead it will now run more tests and announce...
New Folding Phones
Are Already Breaking
Apr 18, 2019 2:08 AM CDT
New Folding Phones Are Already Breaking
Reviewer says Galaxy Fold was 'unusable' after 2 days
- Some of Samsung's new, almost $2,000 folding phones appear to be breaking after just a couple of days. Journalists who received the phones to review before the public launch say the Galaxy Fold screen started flickering and turning black before completely fizzling out, the AP reports. Two journalists...
With Hefty Price Tag
Feb 20, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Samsung Unveils Foldable Phone— With Hefty Price Tag
Galaxy Fold will cost $1,980
- Samsung unveiled a highly anticipated smartphone with a foldable screen in an attempt to break the innovation funk that has beset the smartphone market. But it's far from clear that consumers will embrace a device that retails for almost $2,000, or that it will provide the creative catalyst...
After More Than
10 Years, Samsung
Workers Get an Apology
Nov 23, 2018 11:15 AM CST
After More Than 10 Years, Samsung Workers Get an Apology
And compensation as company says sorry for employee illnesses, deaths
- Samsung Electronics apologized Friday for illnesses and deaths of some of its workers, saying it failed to create a safe working environment at its computer chip and display factories. The announcement by the South Korean tech giant came weeks after the company and a group representing ailing Samsung workers agreed...
Apple and Samsung Settle
Epic Patent Infringement Battle
Jun 27, 2018 7:39 PM CDT
Apple and Samsung Settle Epic Patent Infringement Battle
The companies filed a notice in federal court that they have agreed to drop the case
- An epic legal battle between smartphone titans is finally over. Apple and Samsung have settled their seven-year patent dispute over Apple’s allegations that Samsung copied the iPhone’s design and software, reports CNN . Terms were not available, but according to the
Wall Street Journal
, the companies filed a notice...
Jury: Samsung Owes Apple
$539M for Copying iPhone
May 25, 2018 2:48 AM CDT
Jury: Samsung Owes Apple $539M for Copying iPhone
Ruling seen as a big win for Apple
- A jury has decided Samsung must pay Apple $539 million in damages for illegally copying some of the iPhone's features to lure people into buying its competing products. The verdict reached Thursday is the latest twist in a legal battle that began in 2011, the AP reports. Apple contends...
Samsung Heir Walks Free
After Surprise Court Decision
Feb 5, 2018 8:05 AM CST
Samsung Heir Walks Free After Surprise Court Decision
Lee Jae-yong spent a year in prison
- Samsung heir Lee Jae-yong was freed Monday after a South Korean appeals court gave him a 2.5-year suspended jail sentence for corruption in connection with a scandal that toppled the country's president. The Seoul High Court softened the original ruling against Lee , rejecting most of the bribery charges...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.