The GOP's presidential 2012 field isn't pretty. "All—that's A-L-L—of the Republicans considering runs carry at least one major flaw," writes Chris Cillizza in the Washington Post. Mitt Romney signed a health care bill similar to President Obama’s. Mississippi governor Haley Barbour “virtually invented lobbying.” Newt Gingrich is on his third marriage. And Sarah Palin? She’s “done next to nothing” to expand beyond her base.
As for the others:
- Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels has called for a temporary "truce" on social matters. Social conservatives in Iowa and South Carolina won’t like that.
- Senator John Thune voted for TARP—a "scarlet letter" to conservatives.
- Jon Huntsman was an Obama administration ambassador, and endorses cap-and-trade.
- Former gov. Tim Pawlenty has no "pizzazz" and is barely known outside Minnesota.
- Mike Huckabee is "ripe for a deep opposition-research dive." Remember the Maurice Clemmons incident? His record on taxes isn't sterling, either.
(Read more electability