A photo of a model with Crohn's disease redefining our idea of beauty and a new dad's tears of joy and relief highlight this week's list of the most uplifting stories:
- Aspiring Model Poses With Colostomy Bags: Bethany Townsend thought her modeling days were done for good three years ago when she got fitted with two colostomy bags, a result of her lifelong fight with Crohn's disease. But that modeling career might just be getting started, thanks to a viral photo of herself posing in a bikini with those colostomy bags in full view.
- After Tragedy, Dad's Joy for 'Rainbow Baby' Goes Viral: When Andrew Hanson heard his son, Karson, cry for the first time, the new father grabbed the doctor who’d just delivered his son safely, and both men dissolved into tears in an image that's since gone viral. Karson is what's considered a rainbow baby—a birth that follows a miscarriage or newborn death.
- Man Bends Car Door in Half to Save Driver: A Minnesota Air National Guardsman demonstrated superhuman strength at exactly the right time. Robert Renning, 52, was on the interstate when he saw flames underneath an SUV about six car-lengths behind him. Both drivers pulled over, but then an electrical malfunction locked driver Michael Johannes inside, and that was when Renning’s adrenaline kicked in.
- After Lake Dries Up, Cherished Ring Is Found: There is, perhaps, the tiniest upside to drought: An 84-year-old Washington state woman will soon hold her 1953 university class ring, lost six decades ago on a picnic with her future husband, after it was found in a dried-up West Texas lake.
- At Unstaffed Coffee Shop, You're On Your Honor: At The Vault coffee shop in North Dakota, you can get a cup of joe, a cup of tea, a pastry. But you get it yourself and you ring yourself up—and when you do, you're on your honor at what The Vault's owner thinks is the only unstaffed, self-serve cafe out there. Great way to go broke in a heartbeat? "The thing that's amazing is that people have been extremely honest," David Brekke says.
Click to read more uplifting stories
. (Read more uplifting news