Barbs were flying back and forth at Thursday night's Democratic debate on CNN. Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton sparred early over qualifications, but there were plenty more big lines after that. The Washington Post has a transcript, and here's a sample:
- Sanders: "Secretary Clinton called them out. Oh, my goodness, they must have been really crushed by this. And was that before or after you received huge sums of money by giving speaking engagements?" Referring to bankers.
- Clinton: "But I do think when you make proposals and you’re running for president, you should be held accountable for whether or not the numbers add up, and whether or not the plans are actually gonna work."
- Sanders: "It was a racist term and everybody knew it was a racist term." On Clinton's use of "super-predator" in 1996.
- Clinton: "It's not a laughing matter." When Sanders chuckled as she began an answer on guns.
- Sanders: "Well why would I be running for the Democratic nomination to be president of the United States?" When asked whether he's a Democrat.
- Clinton: "Look, I supported the crime bill. My husband has apologized. I'm sorry for the consequences that were unintended."
- Sanders: "History has outpaced Secretary Clinton." Referring to her backing of a $12 minimum wage, instead of $15. (Though she said she'd sign the latter as president.)
- Clinton: "When everybody does it, OK, I will do it." On releasing the transcripts of her Wall Street speeches.
- Sanders: "I am going to release all of the transcripts of the speeches that I gave on Wall Street behind closed doors. Not for $225,000, not for $2,000, not for 2 cents. There were no speeches."
- Clinton: "Describing the problem is a lot easier than trying to solve it." Referring to the Israel-Palestinian conflict.
- Sanders: "We are going to have to treat the Palestinian people with respect and dignity."
- Wolf Blitzer: "You're screaming at each other."
- Clinton: "I love being in Brooklyn. This is great."
(Read more Democratic debate