Among the less-expected items that factored into this week's crazy crimes: a baby koala, ceviche, and Vaseline.
- Man Guilty of Making Off With $165K of Gold in His Butt: Leston Lawrence set off the metal detectors at his employer, the Royal Canadian Mint, nearly 30 times in three months, but other workers could never find evidence of anything on him. Wednesday, however, he was found guilty of smuggling out 22 gold pucks worth $165,000, and the Ottawa judge noted "his locker contained Vaseline and latex gloves, which could have been used to insert a puck into his rectum."
- Single Mom Faces Jail for Selling Food on Facebook: When California single mother of six Mariza Ruelas joined the Facebook group 209 Food Spot a few years ago, she and other members would exchange recipes, meet for potlucks, and sometimes swap or sell their dishes among members. So Ruelas said yes when a member of the group asked to buy her signature ceviche dish last December. What she didn't know was it was an undercover investigator from San Joaquin County.
- Cops Find Baby Koala in Woman's Backpack: A woman was arrested "on outstanding matters" during a traffic stop in Brisbane on Sunday with a rather cute companion. Asked if she had anything to declare, the 50-year-old woman handed officers a canvas backpack, claiming a baby koala was inside. "Not quite believing their ears, the officers cautiously unzipped the bag and found this gorgeous boy," police say. There's a problem with that.
- Earnhardt Jr. Speeds in the Wrong Place: Some people just can't leave work at the office. Take Dale Earnhardt Jr., for instance, who was pulled over for speeding Sunday. His girlfriend, Amy Reimann, was in the car with him and tweeted a picture of a sheepish-looking Earnhardt, along with the caption "my little speed racer." Where he was headed was somewhat ironic.
- Alleged Burglars' Downfall: the Getaway Driver: Two alleged burglars essentially directed police to their apartment in New Jersey when they failed to pay their taxi driver, authorities say. Kenneth Burke, 46, and Timothy Foote, 38, took a taxi to a home in Deal on Friday, went inside, then allegedly emerged with a TV and liquor bottles. Then they told the taxi driver to drive on.
Read about more crazy crimes here
. (Read more weird crimes