Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 244,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guy in High-Speed Chase Was Teaching Dog to Drive: Cops
'I wish I could make this up'
- While it may or may not be possible to teach an old dog new tricks, teaching a dog of any age to drive is not advisable. Washington state troopers say that during a high-speed chase near Lakewood on Sunday, they were astounded to see that a pit bull was in...
Police List Alternatives to Calling 911 for Toilet Paper
Department makes clear it won't deliver
- It may seem like a 911-worthy emergency if you run out, but police in an Oregon town have clarified the issue. It's not. "It’s hard to believe that we even have to post this," Newport police said on Facebook . "Do not call 9-1-1 just because...
Cops: Ax-Wielding Robber Took Only Doughnuts
They found him, and the doughnuts, a block away
- An ax-wielding man who robbed a doughnut shop in Oregon wasn't interested in money, police say. The suspect allegedly jumped over the counter of the 24-hour shop in downtown Portland, filled a box with doughnuts and then fled on foot, leaving his hatchet behind and the cash register untouched,...
He Licked the Ice Cream, Then Bought It. But It Was Too Late
D'Adrien Anderson, 24, sentenced after licking Blue Bell ice cream at Texas market
- Last summer came headline after headline about someone taking a carton of Blue Bell ice cream out of supermarket freezers, licking the ice cream contained therein, then putting the carton back on store shelves. A punishment has been handed down over one of those stunts: D'Adrien Anderson was sentenced...
Cops Describe Seizure as
Meets John Wick'
This was no regular traffic stop in Michigan
- The Bath Township Police Department in Michigan has a "wildly popular" Facebook page , per MLive.com , and the department's latest confiscation shows just why that may be. On Jan. 27, during an early-morning traffic stop, cops there found a "very odd combination" of drugs (methamphetamine, specifically) and...
It's Another Weird Headline for Steven Seagal
Former action star accused with illegally promoting cryptocurrency
- Steven Seagal's "action hero" status may have waned a bit since the
days, but the actor still finds himself in the headlines quite a bit , often for odd or disturbing reasons. The latest headline is no exception: Seagal has been charged with unlawfully promoting cryptocurrency without...
He Wanted Nurses' Attention, Got Cops' Attention, Too
Police say John King wanted his clothes, set fire to his hospital bed
- John King really,
wanted his clothes. Police say the Florida man had been admitted to a New Smyrna Beach hospital for respiratory failure Saturday and felt like the nurses were ignoring his request for his clothing, so he set his hospital bed on fire to get their attention. They...
Drug Dealer Learns Big Lesson on Where Not to Hide Bitcoin Codes
$60M now can't be accessed after Clifton Collins stashed codes in fishing rod case that's vanished
- He should've stuck to his praise-winning honey. An Irish former beekeeper-turned-drug dealer is ruing the day he came up with the bright idea to stash the codes to accounts harboring close to $60 million in bitcoin in the aluminum cap of a fishing rod case—which, per the
Inmate Climbed Into Ceiling. It Didn't End Well
Ohio inmate's prison escape plan foiled after ceiling gives way
- WOIO calls it a botched prison escape in Ohio that ended in "embarrassing fashion." ABC7 calls it an "epic fail"—or should it be "epic fall"? It was all of these things for Jessica Boomershine, who was caught on surveillance camera determinedly trying...
Cops: Man Made Woman Watch
to Confront Her 'Racism'
Robert Noye allegedly threatened the woman in his home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- An Iowa man was arrested Monday after being accused of employing an unusual attempt to school a woman on prejudice and discrimination. The
reports that 52-year-old Robert Lee Noye is facing charges of first-degree harassment and false imprisonment after he allegedly forced a woman at his Cedar Rapids home...
Thieves Stole $1K Worth of Super Smelly Fruit
Hawaii police looking for thieves who took durian, other types of fruit
- You might be able to smell these thieves coming: Police in Hawaii are investigating the theft of fruit valued at about $1,000, and the haul includes durian, which is known for its powerful odor. Two men entered a property in Hilo on the Big Island and removed 18 durian...
Cops: It Wasn't Smell of Booze That Gave Drunk Driver Away
Police in Germany say they found man suspected of DUI thanks to 'cloud of perfume'
- He just didn't smell right. German police say they nabbed a drunk driver who tried to flee a traffic stop after finding him hiding behind a hedge "in a cloud of perfume," per the AP . Police in the southwestern town of Speyer said Saturday that officers saw...
Fraudster Hid for Years Among Nuns. Then One Got Wise
Fake sister couldn't keep her story straight: cops
- A convicted fraudster convinced nuns that she was a kind sister in need of help during two years on the run, according to police in Italy. The 47-year-old woman, who has not been named, fled Sicily after she was convicted of fraud, impersonation, and theft and sentenced in absentia to...
Alleged Thief's Mistake: Using Daughter's Journal
Prosecutors say dropped item contained hit list, identifying information
- Authorities in Tennessee say they busted a well-organized burglar after he allegedly dropped a notebook during a break-in that contained a list of other places he planned to target. Robert Shull Goddard, 49, is accused of smashing a glass door and breaking into a Nashville area home on Jan. 29,...
Fearing Family Would Discover His Lie, He Tried to Kill Them
Satya Thakor stabbed his wife, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law
- A British man failed the exams he needed to pass to become a doctor—nearly a decade ago. But Satya Thakor apparently spent the next seven years pretending to his family that he actually was one, and then tried to kill them to keep them from discovering the lie. The...
Postal Carrier Felt Overworked, Came Up With a Plan
Jason Delacruz pleads guilty to delay of mail after dumping it into a storage unit
- Jason Delacruz didn't have time to deliver all the mail on his route, so ... he put it in a storage locker. The United States Postal Service employee pleaded guilty to delay of mail after more than 200 pieces of first- and second-class mail were found in a storage unit...
Couple Gets Robbed Twice, Comes Up With Ill-Advised Plan
They ended up being the ones arrested after bike-bait scheme
- A California couple who say they were sick of getting robbed after moving into their new home ended up behind bars when they decided to get revenge. Corey Curnutt, 25, and Savannah Grillot, 29, say that a burglar broke into their car the very first night they spent in their...
Police: Man Choked Girlfriend Who Griped About Smelly Farts
Christopher Ragsdale has been charged with assault
- A Texas man accused of choking and headbutting his girlfriend because she complained about the smell of his flatulence has been jailed on an assault charge, police said. Officers in Wichita Falls, Texas, responded to a home on Sunday afternoon following a report that Christopher Ragsdale had assaulted his girlfriend,...
Live Bedbugs Released in Pennsylvania Walmart
State police are seeking the culprit
- Walmart managers may not be sleeping tight tonight: Somebody released live bedbugs in a Pennsylvania store and police are now investigating. State police say they were contacted by the manager of the Edinboro store Thursday after staff members found a pill bottle in a boy's jacket with live bedbugs...
Enraged Prof Puts Colleague in Hospital With Broken Bones: Police
Rie Hachiyanagi has been charged with attempted murder
- An art professor has been arrested for allegedly attacking a colleague with a poker, garden shears, and a rock—over unrequited love, no less. Rie Hachiyanagi, 49, who teaches art at Mount Holyoke College, was charged with attempted murder Friday after the gruesome Christmas Eve incident, Fox News reports. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Costco Draws the Line on Customers
Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into Hospital Ship
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
A New Worry Emerges on Coronavirus Tests
Governor's Statement Causes Some Double Takes
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.