Perhaps you've never considered a meal of kelp pasta with purple asparagus and seaweed, but it could be your new favorite dish by this time next year, based on Whole Foods' predictions for the top food trends of 2017, per Consumer Affairs. Here's what to expect:
- You'll go nuts for coconuts. Not just coconut oil, but coconut flour tortillas, coconut sugar aminos, and coconut chips, Whole Foods predicts.
- Eat your greens? More like purples. Expect to see lots of purple cauliflower, sweet potatoes, corn, and asparagus on menus and in grocery stores.
- Tonic, minus the gin. Fresh-pressed juices and "wellness tonics" based on alternative medicine could see a boost in popularity.
- Pass the pasta. But not just any pasta. Pasta made from veggies and alternative grains like quinoa, lentils, and chickpeas might soon be all the rage.
- Get inspired by Japan. Expect more recipes to include ingredients commonly found in Japanese dishes, including ponzu, miso, mirin, sesame oil, seaweed, and plum vinegar.
Click for more
, or discover the best US cities for foodies
. (Read more food