X

COVID Protesters Face Felony Charges Over Megaphone

Restaurant worker in Cleveland says she suffered permanent hearing loss
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jan 29, 2021 2:45 PM CST

(Newser) – Two people are accused of causing permanent hearing loss to a Cleveland restaurant employee while using megaphones during a coronavirus protest outside the eatery, per the AP. Both are now facing felony assault charges. Josiah Douglas, 25, of Cleveland, and Sydney Yahner, 21, of Willoughby were indicted last week by a Cuyahoga County grand jury, reports Cleveland.com. Both have pleaded not guilty. Their attorney, Peter Pattakos, called the charges an “outrageous attack” on the pair's First Amendment right to engage in peaceful protest.

story continues below

“Being subject to a baseless felony prosecution is one of the worst things that can happen to a person at the hands of the government,” Pattakos said. Douglas and Yahner were among a small group of protesters near an outdoor patio at a restaurant in July to protest what they said was the lax response to pandemic protocols there and at other restaurants owned by the same man. An undercover detective wrote in a police report that Douglas and Yahner repeatedly blasted the megaphones in the employee's face. Pattakos previously said there is no evidence the employee suffered from hearing loss in one ear, as the woman has claimed.

(Read more Cleveland stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X